fin.

Bet
Please log in to read the full chapter

Kierra opened the door to Jake's dorm room to surprise him with a cake and gift for his birthday when she overheard his conversation with his roommates.

"-en a year now, Jake. Are you gonna tell her about the bet?" One of the friends asked as Jake rejected the idea.

"Nah. I'm not gonna tell Kierra that I started dating her because of a bet."

A bet? Her heart dropped upon hearing that. Did she hear them correctly?

"Why not?" A second asked as a third chimed in.

"Yeah, why not? I mean, does this make sense to you?"

"Like, you already won, Jake. I mean, you've already made Kierra your girlfriend." The first one commented.

"Yeah, I know, but this is gonna stay a secret." Jake stated.

"I don't want her finding out about that part of our relationship."

Kierra stayed longer to hear the rest of the conversation, thinking that her so-called boyfriend was making a joke. Or at least it had to be a prank because he didn't just pursue her for months for only it to be just a bet in the end. However, Kierra's body reacted before she could process anything as the items in her hand fell to the ground, making a noise for all four to stare at her.

"Kierra."

Jake spoke her name in surprise as realization set in when she ran off.

"Wait! Kierra!"

Kierra rushed off, not bothering to hear what Jake had to tell her as he gave chase to explain himself. Kierra ran down the hall and took the stairs down two steps at a time, but by then Jake had caught up to her at the middle landing.

"Kierra." He called out, reaching for her upper arm.

However, Kierra shook off his hold on her, but ended up backing herself into the wall with tears streaming down her cheeks. Jake's heart stopped at the sight of her.

"Kierra."

He took a slow step towards her, reaching a hand out to wipe away her tears, but she shook her head and smacked his hand away.

"Why?"

Was the first thing that came out of . She didn't sound angry, but just disappointed with sadness in her eyes.

"Why?" She repeated in that same tone.

"It was just a dumb decision on my part." Jake admitted, feeling ashamed as those words left his lips.

"Seriously?" She muttered, the disappointment growing.

"A dumb decision, Jake?"

"Kierra..." Jake trailed off, his heart breaking at the sound of her voice as she continued to speak.

"You were the one that chased me, persisted, and bothered me, Jake. That was all you, Jake. Always asking me out to give you a chance, and when I did give you that chance, I eventually fell for you."

More tears streamed down Kierra's face.

"Does this make sense to you at all?"

Silence.

"Did you even love me, Jake?"

"I still love you, Kierra." Jake admitted, convincing her that he truly did love her.

"Yes, it started out as a bet, but I really did fall for you, Kierra. I genuinely committed myself to pursue you and to be with you, honestly."

He stepped closer, wanting to hold her in his arms, but she held up her hands to prevent him from doing so.

"But that doesn't mean that you didn't have other intentions and that it started out as a lie either, Jake."

"Kierra."

His voice soft, pained as a hand reached out to cup the side of her face as he wiped a stray tear away with his thumb.

"I'm sorr-"

"Let's break up."

Her sudden made Jake's brows furrowed as he shook his head.

"But I don't want us to break up."

"I can't do this with you."

Kierra's eyes shifting away from him.

"I need space from you, Jake."

"I understand, Kierra, but let's talk through this. I don't want to break up." He reasoned, but she shook her head while backing away from him.

"I'm sorry, but I do."

She cast him with another melancholy look while she ran away from him. Yet Jake didn't pursue Kierra despite wanting to change her mind about breaking up. So, he figured by giving her all the space and time she needed that they could talk it over and that he'll do whatever she wanted for as long as needed to make it up to her. Still, Jake only had himself to blame for how things had turned out right now. He ran a hand through his hair, rememberi

Please log in to read the full chapter