What if?

Ningning's What Ifs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Gigi, what if I was a guy, would you still want to be friends with me?" Ningning asked. She stood on the roof of her home, looking down into the city. The lights were beautiful as they sparkled in the darkness. 

 

"Of course! Why wouldn't I? You'd still be super cool!" Gigi answered without hesitation, making Ningning smile. 

 

"Then..." Ningning thought hard, the crease on her forehead was prominent, "what if I'm not the way I am right now and I'm super lame and boring?" She couldn't think of anything else to say.

 

"Don't be silly!" Gigi laughed, "If you were really boring or lame, you wouldn't be asking me this. We'd be best friends anyway!" As usual, Gigi had an answer for everything. "I guess...that makes sense." Ningning agreed after a while.

 

However, it didn't stop there. While they were shopping for clothes, she suddenly decided to drop another. "Gigi, what if aliens are real and I'm actually one of them?"

 

"You're just trying to scare me!" Gigi said, waving a hand dismissively, "Besides, you don't look like an alien."

 

"I don't know what aliens look like!" Ningning whined, "How do I even know if I can trust your words?"

 

Gigi, who always has the right words to say, looked at her lovingly, or at least that's how it looked like for Ningning, "no alien can be as pretty as you." She could feel her face heat up at that compliment, and quickly covered her face with both hands to hide herself. She heard Gigi gasp and then laugh lightly.

 

"Satisfied now?" Gigi joked which earned a smack from Ningning.

 

The next day, Ningning asked again. "Gigi, what if I have no hair?"

"Well, the shape of your head looks great. I think you'd look cute."

 

"What about my arms? If I got tattoos? Like not the minimalist ones but big ones!" 

 

"Then you'd look like an adorable gangster." This time, Ningning hit her with the pillow.

 

"I want you to answer seriously!" Ningning huffed, "then what if I was blind?"

 

"Then, I'll be your eyes and bring you wherever you want," Gigi exclaimed with a serious expression on her face, and then burst out laughing when she saw the glare that Ningning shot at her. "What? I was being serious!"Ningning mumbled something under her breath and buried her face further in the pillows. Sometimes, Gigi knowing the right words to say can be so fatal to her.

 

"I don't want to be blind anymore," Ningning huffed, only making Gigi laugh at her. "Of course, why would you even want that in the first place?" Ningning made sure to sit up to glare at her before burying her face back in her pillow again. Gigi continued laughing until Ningning told her to shut up.

 

Gigi thought her friend was done, but she surprised her with another while they were preparing to sleep. 

 

 "Gigi, what if I get cancer and have to go to hospital?" This time, she sat up to make sure she could hear what Gigi was saying properly. Gigi stared at her seriously for a few moments, her expression unreadable before answering. 

 

"Then, I'd take care of you and spend the rest of our time with you."This time, her voice was much softer than before. It made Ningning's heart skip a beat. What if...?But then, she shook her head and went back to resting. What if she wanted to marry someone who wasn't a guy? That was crazy. Besides, it's not like Gigi would want to marry her if she did, right?

 

"Gigi, what if I start having terrible mood swings and I have a hard time remembering things?" This time, it was her turn to stare blankly at Gigi, waiting for an explanation. "Then I'd tell you everything, good or bad, I've ever felt, and help you deal with it. I'd never leave you alone. You don't remember any of it, but I will." She sounded like a promise, and Ningning found that she liked it very much. 

 

"Then, I'll find a doctor for you and we'll see if they can figure out a cure. But if they cannot, I'll do everything I can to fix whatever is wrong with you. And you can rely on me, and I won't leave your side, because you're my best friend." As she finished, she held onto Ningning's shoulder firmly. Ningning blinked away tears before reaching forward to grab onto Gigi's shoulders too.

 

This time, they both fell asleep holding each other, with their hands tightly gripping onto each other's shirts. They didn't let go for a long time.When Ningning woke up, she immediately realized that she was holding Gigi in her arms. After the initial shock, she started blushing and let go quickly, covering her face with her hands."Good morning," Gigi said cheerfully as she stretched. Her cheeks were flushed pink, and she was grinning broadly, making Ningning grin as well."Hey, morning," Ningning replied. 

 

It's not like it was the first time they woke up on the same bed together, but every time it happened, it gave Ningning butterflies. She felt her cheeks grow hot at the memory, and tried to distract herself by telling Gigi to get up and get ready for school. Unfortunately, she failed. Gigi kept staring at her with that stupid grin on her face. 

 

"Why are you acting so shy and awkward? Did you imagine me as someone else? Your crush perhaps?" she teased, earning a swat on her arm. "Ouch! Okay, okay, jeez."She finally got up and changed into some casual clothes, leaving Ningning sitting on the edge of the bed while watching her. 

 

Eventually, Gigi looked over at her again and noticed how quiet she was."Are you feeling better today?" She turned around after a minute or so, "you coming?" she called. Ningning jumped off the bed, "Yes!" and rushed to catch up with Gigi.

 

 

Gigi got used to Ningning's what ifs. In fact, she ended up anticipating it every day whenever she saw Ningning getting lost in her own thoughts. 

 

However, today, like the gloomy sky, Ningning asked a question quite different than usual.

 

"Gigi, what if I'm dying and I didn't tell you right away?" She watched as a shadow fell over Gigi's cheerful face. When she turned around to face her, it was gone in seconds."I'll never forgive you if that happens," she answered. Her voice was steady and calm, but Ningning knew better. She could see it in her eyes. Gigi was worri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter