More than good enough!

Good Enough!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Good enough, good enough...


The cameras flashed as Chanyeol posed in front of a billboard of a brand he advertised. A smile flashed as he made a heart sign with his hand, a common thing he would always do. The reporters wanted to get the best shoot, so they called his name, trying their best to get his attention. The fans were no better as they gathered around, taking pictures with their phones and posting them on SNS, tagging their locations and just feeling lucky that they were able to see him up close. 

“When will you hold another concert?!” One of the reporters asked. 

“Where will it be held?!” Another jumped in. 

“Will it be a solo or with the rest of the EXO members?!” A third stressed. 

“It will all be announced soon,” Chanyeol replied, the smile never leaving his face. “Thank you for coming to tonight’s banquet.” 

With that, he bowed and backed away, soon entering the building, as the bodyguards followed him. Of course, he was aware that the media wanted more, but there were things that he was not obligated to talk about, at least not for the time being. 

“Thank you for your hard work,” Chanyeol bowed as he looked at the two makeup artists. 

The two ladies smiled and bowed back. “It was a pleasure working with you.” One of them added. 

Chanyeol nodded and showed a thumbs-up before he started to pack. It had been a long day and even a long evening. It was time to head home and relax, hopefully, catch up on some sleep and reenergize. 

“Don’t forget about tomorrow’s photo session.” 

His manager’s voice echoed through his ears. 

“I won’t,” Was all he said. 

The latter nodded and walked off, leaving Chanyeol alone once again. Sighing, he resumed packing and soon he was out the back door where his motorbike had been parked. Looking around, he made sure that no one was around before putting on his helmet and zipping up his jacket. With that, he got on his motorbike and sped off. 

The street lights lit the way for him as the cool breeze scrapped his face. If nothing else, at least it had stopped raining so he could avoid getting wet and then getting a cold cause of that. Stopping at the intersection, he looked at his wristwatch only to see that it was almost midnight. Going and coming home late was nothing new, so functioning on only a few hours of sleep was something he had gotten used to over the years.

Having insomnia was the most ordinary thing in his life. But was he the only one? No. Many who worked in the entertainment industry suffered the same. For example his band members. 

There wasn’t a night when he saw Suho go to bed earlier than 3 in the morning. Or Sehun. Or others. Perhaps Baekhyun. But still. Insomnia hits all of them equally, but they all deal with it in their own way. In Chanyeol’s case, he focused on music as it helped him relax. It helped him create something new, something different, something deep. 

That is exactly how the song Good Enough was made. 

***

He closed his eyes as he tapped his foot before hitting a few notes on his guitar. The notes echoed through the room as he let them settle into him. With each note he played, the lyrics for the new song started to form, and soon, he let go of his guitar and started writing the words down. 

“Good enough, good enough,” He moved his head in rhythm. “Good enough, good enough.”

***

The tune itself was catchy, but the lyrics were a bit more deep if one listens to them carefully. Even his best friend Re agrees. 

***

She smiled as she gently moved her head with the beat, carefully listening to the lyrics. Chanyeol waited patiently for the song to finish so she could give him her feedback. Her eyes sparkled with joy as she enjoyed what she heard and as soon as the song came to an end she clapped her hands.

“A job well done, Yeol!” She grinned. “The music matches well and the lyrics are deep despite the happy beat.”

“Thank you…” He bit his lower lip. “Do you think I should really present it?

She blinked. "You must be joking..." 

He bit his lip. 

"Yeol… out with it." 

"It's nothing really... what if it's not good enough?"

“Park Chanyeol,” She frowned. “It’s perfect.”

He sighed. "Sorry...I am just tired..." 

She pouted and opened her arms. “How long have we known each other?” She asked.

He hugged her, wrapping his arms around her. "Since kindergarten."

“And have I ever spoken a lie?”

"No." He mumbled.

“The song is perfect, and you?” She moved to look at him. “Are more than just good enough, my friend. Now, how about you eat? My mom made your favorite burgers and apple pie.” 

He smiled and kissed her forehead. "Thank you, Re-Re."

***

Lee Areum.

She was his best friend.

She was his greatest judge.

She was always there when he needed a shoulder to cry on and vice versa. 

But little did she know that he grew feelings for her that crossed the boundaries of friendship. If she could only see into his eyes, she’d see the truth that his heart was hiding. He tried to tell her so many times… but it was a failure. 

***

“Hey,” She smiled, patting the empty place on the swing next to her. 

Now is a good time, you two are alone. Go, tiger! “I have something to tell you,” he announced.

She nodded. “Yes?” 

He opened his mouth. 

“...That I decided to include your vocals on my new song!” He grinned like an idiot. 

She chuckled. “Yeol… my vocals aren’t that good!” 

“Tone of bull. Your vocals are flawless! Come on!” 

He grabbed her hand and pulled her up.

***

And he tried again… again, it was a failure. 

***

“Re?” 

“In the kitchen!” She called out. 

Come on, scared cat. You can do this. “Re...hey...um...I....” he paused. 

“You what, Yeol?” She smiled, pouring herself a cup of coffee. “Coffee?” 

“Yes… sure.”

“Out with it.”

“I… like you… as a friend.” 

“And I like you, as a friend, silly.” 

***

The most epic failure in history according to Jongin, who is no better as well. 

***

“Yah! You are no better! You and Eunji have been dragging this thing since high school!”

“Don’t turn this around!” 

“Both of you are idiots…” Baekhyun frowned. 

“Yah! You are supposed to be on my side, Byun.” Chanyeol narrowed his eyes at him.

“I am not taking sides,” The male sighed. “How hard can it be to confess, huh? Same for you Jongin!” 

Jongin made a face and rolled his eyes. “Shut it, Byun.”

“Really? Then why didn’t you confess? Instead, you left for the military!”

“I can’t exactly let her wait for me for two ing years!”

“If she loves you, she’ll wait! Luna waited for me!” 

“Yeah. I agree,” Chanyeol huffed. 

Jongin raised a brow. “Chanyeol, you and I are the same, so shut it.” 

***

Should he confess right now? 

But what if he wakes her up?

Or what if she says no?

Why if she doesn’t share the same feelings as her? 

“She was working tonight, right?” His mind roared. “She should be home by now.” 

Speeding up, he took a left turn and headed down the road. 

*

Areum zipped up her jacket, holding tightly onto her backpack as she stood on the side of the road, waiting for a taxi. Her shift took longer than usual due to the lack of staff at the restaurant where she worked. She couldn’t really complain since the pay was good and the job itself was rewarding. Being an extrovert, she loved mingling with people. Of course, like every job, it had its negative moments, in terms of rude customers, but she always managed and stayed professional, even with the ones that tried to flirt with her and go out. 

Rule number one - never date your customers.

Were there any altercations? Of course. 

Drunkards are always frequent visitors and sometimes they can be a handful when asking for a drink over and over again. There are rules to be followed and there's no way Areum would jeopardize her job. 

Rule number two - never put your position in danger because someone pressures you. 

Was there any altercation between colleagues? She hates to say it, but yes.

It's because of jealousy, and envy. These two emotions were very dominant when Areum's probation work was over and received a contract to be a full-time worker. To some people it was a huge thing; it's like you got a VIP status. 

To Areum that meant nothing. Sure, she felt great after signing it but it's just a piece of paper that proves her status. It proves that she was worthy of the position and surely, she did one heck of a job. She deserved it and for as long as she is enjoying it, she will continue to thrive. 

They are jealous of her because whenever a celebrity idol singer or actor or group books the place she is most reliable for that job. Not to mention that she knew all of them, thanks to her friendship with Chanyeol. 

Her colleagues always searched for a way to call Dispatch and let them know about it. It was sad how much girl groups were ualized. They were also most hated when they were involved with a well-known male idol. 

It was no better for non-celebrities who dated idols. Fans and netizens tried to take a peek at who that noncelebrity is who dates their beloved oppas. They don’t care about the idol's wish for their partner to stay anonymous. 

They don’t care about people’s feelings. 

For that reason, they lost three famous idols. 

Jonghyun. 

Sulli. 

Hana. 

She met Sulli through Chanyeol a couple of times and she was always joyful and funny, but underneath there was already a broken soul that reached a point of no return. It is always a struggle to please others and Areum knew that very well. 

That is why everyone needs to have time for themselves — mental charging. Even an extrovert like Areum needs to distance away from everyone and everything. Was that why Eunji said that she seemed cold towards Chanyeol? 

Probably. 

Park Chanyeol was her friend. 

A person whom she knows from kindergarten.

They grew up together.

They played together.

Their families had barbecues together. 

Areum always supported him in his dreams and vice-versa. 

***

“Apply.”

He blinked. “I am not that–”

“You are fantastic! You really need to have more self-confidence…” She sighed. “Apply for the audition, or I swear I’ll do it in your name.”

“Are you mad?” 

“I am!” She replied pointing at the paper. “I’m not letting that talent go to waste. Besides, didn’t you say it was your dream to be on stage?” 

He scratched the back of his neck nervously. “You really think I am good enough for the stage?”

“You are wonderful!” 

He smiled shyly. “Okay, I’ll join...”

Areum grinned and hugged him tightly. “That’s my Yeol!”

He hugged her back. “Thank you, Re...”

***

And he supported her.

***

“What if I fail?” She mumbled.

“If you think that way, then yes you’ll fail.” He said sternly. 

“Yah! Yeol! You are not helping!” She huffed. 

“And I speak the truth, what Eunji told you. The more you call upon negative thoughts, the more they’ll com

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter