Final

A fleeting moment
Please log in to read the full chapter

Winter doesn’t exactly know when this habit of Karina had started nor had she ever questioned it. But she sometimes wonder what draws this girl to sit on her lap, arms around her neck and an unreadable expression painted on her face. Winter is curious yet she doesn’t fail to realize the atmosphere of contentment surrounding them as she steadies Karina on her lap by holding her waist.

 

It was a regular afternoon in the dorm of 4. 4 girls named Karina, Winter, Giselle, and Ningning inhabits said dorm. 2 of the dorm occupants still outside due to classes leaving Karina and Winter alone in the living room. The TV left open for seemingly no reason and both girls pre occupied with their phones to bother acknowledge each other’s presence.

 

It was routine for the two of them. Seeing how they are both in the same course with similar schedules. Winter thought to herself in any under circumstance the silence between the two should be deafening. However, to her it was peaceful. A calm in their very chaotic and caffeine filled lives. Winter wasn’t sentimental to cherish the moment but she would consider it one of her favorite activities while being in college. A small thought gnawed back in her mind that after graduation she might never get to experience this again yet she simply pushes it back not wanting to be caught in a downward spiral of negativity.

 

With a small sigh she temporarily tore her eyesight away from her phone and begun aimlessly looking around their relatively empty dorm. It was a nice dorm, certainly better than she could have ever hoped. Not only were they blessed to have individual rooms but the rent was not too bad with 4 people splitting the rent and utility expenses. She questions what good deed she has done in her past self to earn this but she chucks it to good luck and probably an external being feeling extra generous that one day.

 

Her eyes eventually fell towards her other roommate currently situated on the other side of the couch. Book in hand, flipping through pages seemingly lost in a world from theirs. Winter in the beginning months of being a roommate would have probably cursed herself for being a creep by staring but as months goes by. She never really heard any complaints from the object of her observation. Karina.

 

Karina was one of her roommates, that much is known but is her also Winter’s subject of curiosity and observation. They were fairly close being roommates and all. They talked, have meals together, and shared an occasional hug that left lightning and tingles through Winter’s body. However, she always found the girl eccentric. For being named Winter, Karina was a kin to a Winter’s day. Cold, pale as white, and overwhelms the senses. That’s what Winter thought  upon seeing her for the first time but months go by and that coldness got replaced with warmth. Such an addictive warmth that Winter cannot explain.

 

Karina as any decent human being and roommate would be considerate about the other girl’s she lived with. Asking about their days, offering aid when college gets too overwhelming, buying them care packages when burnt out, and many more actions that would lead you to believe that she was actually an angel in disguise. However, to Winter it meant more that just a simple act of kindness. Every action felt like a burning warmth that reels you in closer and closer until it envelops you. Not in a painful and burning but an embrace. The only kind you’d dream of. Filling your senses until you only feel her. Winter wonders how this girl is able to do that without even physically touching her.

 

As Winter mind wanders. A shift in the weight of

Please log in to read the full chapter