First encounter

What you do to me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Upturned books scattered on the table, unattended TV with list of movies displayed on the screen and a lonely looking frustrated figure sitting in the room glaring at the blinking cursor on his laptop. 

The man pushed the laptop on the desk, making the littered notes riddled with his quotes stack on the side, swirling in circles in the chair as he stared up at the ceiling, feeling utterly defeated.

"What should I do now?" He stopped the twirling chair, running his fingers through his fluffy hair as he rested his head against the chair. "I seem to have been abandoned by the Lady of Inspiration."

Donghae is a fairly talented author, with a best-selling romance breakup novel titled "Growing Pains." Though the book had been more popular than the author responsible for penning it, Donghae doesn't mind it in the slightest. Due to soaring popularity of the book, his publication asked him to write another romance novel. Alas inspiration is hard to come by, especially when it's been years since he last had a relationship.

He rummaged through the scattered things on the desk to find his mobile. "Tiffany... Tiffany..." Donghae scrolled through his chat box to find the name. He wondered maybe there were some romantic exchanges between them, after all he is still good friends with her despite their breakup.

The more he scrolled up in Tiffany's chat messages, the more upset he became. There were so many text exchanges between them, but with him saying I love you and miss you most of the time. The remainder of the few messages were of him asking if she had eaten or is she free to hang out.

"Wow", Donghae exclaimed as he held his head again. "Were things that bland between us."

His mobile suddenly vibrated, notifying of a new message. It was Tiffany's "How are you Hae?"

Donghae mentally berated himself for mistakenly sending a blank message to Tiffany. He thought for a while before hitting the call button, wishing that she would answer.

"Hae are you alright?"

"Yes. I'm fine Tiffany, just..."

Tiffany immediately guessed what could have been the problem. "Having trouble with ideas".

"Absolutely", Donghae replied in a defeated tone. "I have rummaged through most of the books and tried watching scenes from your fave romantic movies, I even searched through my old journals for interesting writeups, but I just can't seem to think of anything good." Donghae took a deep breath, "I'm out of ideas and inspiration."

"So you scrolled through our texts..."

Donghae found himself stumped at the fact, wondering if Tiffany is angry, after all they have been separate for a while now and she already is in a new relationship. "I didn't mean to upset you or make you uncomfort-"

"No, no. It's alright." Tiffany interrupted him. "You sweet sweet, adorable man. Get out of your room and take in some fresh air. There's a whole lot of inspiration outside in the real world, that no amount of regurgitating novels will give you."

Donghae smiled, "would you like to join?"

"I would love to. But I'm kind of busy." 

Donghae hummed, "Good luck with your exams then. I'll try my luck and see if anything outside inspires me."

"Enjoy Hae."

"Bye".

___

Donghae strolled down the familiar streets, planning to go to a nearby cafe. Since it was a day before the weekend, there weren't many people out and about. Donghae stuffed his hands in his jacket as a gust of autumn breeze blew past him.

A pair of ladies walked past him, giggling as they stole glances at him. Feeling strange by the reaction, Donghae pulled his zipper up and tidied his hair, continuing to walk down the street.

"What do we owe to have an elusive author visit our small cafe?" A spunky young man asked when Donghae took a spot by the window. Donghae laughed in embarrassment when other dinners stared at him. "Brat, tone it down. Will you?" He picked up the menu card and hid behind it.

"I've missed you hyung, you don't come here often". Donghae peeked from the menu looking up at the tall young man. "I know. I miss visiting too. You are all grown up too Jeno!" There was a smile hidden behind the menu, clearly reflected in the shining eyes staring up at Jeno.

"Who is the unlucky soul besides me to be pestered by you?" A smooth calm voice sounded from behind. Jeno ducked his head as a long arm tried to grab him. "He is my favourite person, none of your business."

"Then does that make me your favourite too?" The man asked, after looking away from the back of Jeno's favourite person, curiosity written all over his face.

"You are just annoying Kyuhyun hyung, so you deserve it." Jeno took away the menu from Donghae's hands, "I'll get you your regular."

Donghae expected the stranger named Kyuhyun to walk away, maybe follow Jeno but not pull the chair to sit across him. When Donghae raised his head to have a good look of the man, he was met with a pair of wide eyes staring at him as if bewildered.

"What? Is something wrong?" Donghae looked back wondering if there was something behind him. When he turned around, the man was still staring at him, albiet shaking his head.

Struck by the gaze directed at him Donghae uncomfortably shifted in his seat. He pulled out his mobile and checked himself on the screen. "Is there something on my face?" He whispered to himself thinking about those ladies who giggled as they walked past him.

"Gorgeous".

The single word brought a halt to Donghae's fumbling actions and frantic thoughts.

"You look gorgeous", the man repeated the words again at which Donghae dropped his mobile on the table. He was stumped when he saw the man flashing a genuine smile. A blush crept up on his cheeks, flustered by the compliment.

"Hi, I'm Kyuhyun". He held out his hand, which Donghae shook. "I'm Lee Donghae", he introduced himself as he avoided meeting those piercing eyes.

"Lee! Are you Jeno's brother?" Kyuhyun asked as he filled the two glasses on the table with water, offering one to Donghae. Donghae smiled, "Sadly no. But I adore that kid a lot." There was a brief silence after that, as Donghae took small sips of water hoping he could have his dinner quick and leave.

As if noticing the awkwardness Kyuhyun asked, "It's ok if I join you?" Donghae nodded his head, smiling nervously. "How do you know Jeno?" Kyuhyun tried to find a common ground for them.

"We live in the same neighbourhood. The kid is so enthusiastic, he is like a shining sun on gloomy days." Donghae replied fondly.

"I agree. Though he has never really been polite to me for some reason", Kyuhyun pouted as he tapped the table. 

"Because Donghae hyung cares about me". Jeno placed the dishes on the table. "You on the other hand expect free food every other day."

"Well I try my charms and they work well", Kyuhyun replied, scanning through the food before looking at Jeno with a grin on his face. Jeno shook his head, "It might work on my mom, not me!"

Another server brought additi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter