Downpour

Rain

Outside the glass window of a cafe in the city, Giselle finds an unfamiliar scenery. What used to be a bright roadside lies an empty street with the clouds above, hinting at an outburst of water within the next minutes.

 

"I'm sorry."

 

What used to be a place for romance, the farthest table inside the cafe, now became a place of loss—a loss of icebreakers and laughter between Giselle and the girl across her, Karina.

 

"No, I should be the-"

 

Midway speaking, Karina butts in.

 

"I'm sorry we had to meet at the wrong time like this. If we had met later, when you're finally a successful engineer, and I'm already wealthy enough to travel to and fro, we could have easily worked things out, right?"

 

"What a shame. I would have loved to grow with you," Karina continues, a weary smile ending her sentence.

 

"Karina."

 

Karina glances out the window as water droplets fall slowly, "When they said 'the right person at the wrong time,' that's us, right?"

 

At that moment, Giselle couldn't find any words other than calling her lover, now ex-lover's name.

 

"It's okay. I'm okay," Karina assures Giselle, who reaches out for her hand.

 

"The pain will be unbearable for the both of us, but I'll be okay, Giselle. I'll fight to be okay, and I hope you'll do the same too," Karina pauses, letting go of Giselle's hand, "for the both of us." 

 

"Don't bottle up your feelings, Gi. Please cry it out after this. After all, it's a break-up. You're allowed to cry," Karina says after seeing Giselle's teary eyes, not the first but possibly the most painful time.

 

"Karina, I'm sorry it had to be this way," Giselle pauses, swallowing a huge lump from , trying hard not to crack her voice nor let the tears from her eyes fall, "you were so good to me. But I... I'm not good enough yet and don't want you to carry the burden with me. I can't let you carry it or let it affect you the way it affected me."

 

"It's okay," Karina says as she lifts Giselle's chin, urging her to keep looking at her as this may be their last time.

 

"So, this is where it ends for us, huh?" Karina wipes the first tear from Giselle's eyes, "Take care of yourself, Gi. Eat a lot. Sleep a lot. Be healthy."

 

Karina stands up from her seat as the drizzle outside becomes a heavy rain.

 

"Who knows? We may see each other again when we're finally stable in life—tougher in every aspect. That possibility, you won't deny that for me, right?"

 

Karina continues, "for us."

 

Giselle sees Karina outside, running through the downpour, leaving her at the cafe as the pain spreads to her heart.

 

 

 

 

And just like that, Giselle finds her tears heavily and continuously pouring down her cheeks, like the rain outside.

 


 

P.S. You can now reach out (and follow) me on my Twitter account @ohverflow :)