one

We're in this synopsis (I can't tell what's the end)
Please log in to read the full chapter

 It started with a call. 

 

When Byul had first started working on this movie and picking possible actors to fit the part, she had obviously let her mind wander, thinking of people that would probably never even look in her direction. She was still new in the industry and, even though her first few projects had ended up being pretty well received, she was still unknown and with little connections in a world where those could be things that made you or broke you.

 

The ringing of her phone woke her up at 7 AM. On most days she would have tried to ignore it and go back to sleep. If it was urgent they could just call her back later, especially when she was busy recovering from a night of drinking and trying to keep up with Wheein's impossibly high tolerance.

However, despite the hangover,  she couldn't not answer this one. 

 

She had been waiting to get news on who accepted her script, between the people she sent it to before opening casting calls. 

 

There was someone she was hoping would get back to her but she knew that the chances of that person even considering her were nonexistent. Still, her traitorous heart kept trying to maintain the illusion of a chance, alive.

 

"Hello?" Her low morning voice resonated even more gravelly after a night of drinking.

 

"Wow Moon Byul ssi. Rough night?"

 

"Seul, please...Tell me you woke me up after a night out with Wheein for a good reason."

 

The carefully hidden hope in her voice made Seulgi laugh in excitement, before adding with a teasing voice.

 

"You may want to be fully awake for this unnie. I don't want you to think you just dreamed this conversation."

 

Byul sleep-addled brain took a moment to elaborate the other girl's words, then she sat up with a sudden movement that made her wince, because of the still present hungover.

 

"Don't play with me Seul. Did someone accept the script?"

 

"Unnie.. Kim Yongsun wants to be your lead actress."

 

Silence followed the statement. The director felt her breath freeze in her lungs, while her brain kept repeating the name her assistant had just said. 

Kim Yongsun.... Kim Yongsun.. oh.

 

"Are you alive, unnie? Because, you know, my paycheck comes from you so-"

 

"TELL ME YOU ARE NOT JOKING KANG SEULGI OR I SWEAR I WILL FIRE YOU!"

 

"No need to be so rude, unnie and I am being 100% honest. I got a call this morning from her team saying she loved the script and wanted to know if the role was still available. She wants to audition for it."

 

Byul's body and mind restarted immediately, like a shock had just passed through her, and figuratively it had. She let her head fall on the pillow while her free hand rose to cover eyes.

 

"Oh please, she doesn't need an audition. Please, tell me you said the role is hers and that I am gonna do anything to keep it that way."

 

The younger girl snorted derisively.

 

"Unnie, of course I said that. I knew you would freak out and I knew she was your dream choice. We are probably going to talk more in detail later today but apparently she was really taken by the script and really wants to do it so… we have our lead. Now go back to sleep, so when we have to meet her team your brain is actually functioning. Bye, unnie."

 

After the call ended, Byul didn't move a muscle. Hangover completely forgotten, her mind kept going over and over the call, trying to come to terms with the fact that, not only one of the big names she foolishly sent her script to accepted the offer, but that the person in question was none other than The Kim Yongsun. 


 

Their first official meeting happened on Monday. Two days after that Saturday morning call that had changed Byul's life forever.

 

Byul tried her very best to appear calm and professional but she couldn't help the tremors of excitement that made her shake at times. So she decided to just grab a pen and smoothly play around with it, making it dance from one finger to the other, in hope of channeling the nervousness in that easy and comfortable movement.

 

She looked at the window and then at the people from her team, trying to distract herself from the impending meeting. Then she heard voices coming from outside the door and unconsciously stood straighter on the chair.

 

The door opened and Miss Kim's team entered the room, with the woman following. 

 

Byulyi wanted to appear professional and make a good first impression but she couldn't stop her brain from shutting down when the beautiful woman met her eyes. 

 

Her blonde dyed hair framing her round and soft face. Intense brown eyes staring right at her. The sight of full lips with a hint of a cordial smile made Byul’s heart skip a beat.

 

Moon Byulyi had seen the woman countless times on screen. She had seen her pictures from red carpets and her interviews while promoting, but her strong attraction wasn't just born from looking at her as a fan and admiring her at work.

 

She had also met her briefly one night, at an event when she just got started and, even tho she tried to force herself to disregard that singular moment, she couldn't forget how the other woman, probably slightly intoxicated, had laughed so freely and so loudly and smiled at her so brightly the sun would be jealous of her warmth and light.

 

Byulyi stood up and bowed in greeting. Her mind still reeling from seeing the adorable dimples starting to form at the side of the actress' mouth.

 

"It's an honor to be able to work with you, Miss Kim. I have been a fan since you started acting. I am so grateful that someone as incredibly talented as you decided to bring my vision to life."

 

The older woman's smile got a bit bigger while still keeping a guarded expression. She offered her hand out to her and when Byul took it, staring into her eyes, she wished she could immortalize that moment and her feelings on camera. She wished she could just capture that instant and the way those beautiful brown eyes were analyzing her face, how her cheeks raised a little when she smiled and those dimples appeared at the side of her lips. 

 

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Director Moon. I am excited to join this project."

 

Even after Yongsun let go of her hand and sat down in front of her, all business and ready to talk about the movie they were going to make, Byul's hands still prickled with the need to use her camera. 

 

***

 

Yongsun opened her eyes slowly and stayed still for a few moments. A contented smile stretching her lips.

 

She looked at the other woman's face and took in her beauty, taking advantage of her being still asleep.

 

Yongsun thrived when at work. She was always in constant movement and she loved that but those little pockets of calm in her incredibly busy life were as precious to her as the rest, maybe more. Especially when she shared them with her.

 

Byul let out a heavier breath and opened her eyes a little, before closing them again. She let out a little huff and turned around so she could hide her face against the other woman's chest.

 

"Why are you watching me sleep like a creep, unnie?"

 

Her sleepy voice, whispered against her skin, sent chills down Yong's entire body. The actress knew her partner far too well to think of it as something not done on purpose, but she just rolled her eyes and smiled.

 

"I am pretty sure the one that spends her life watching people is not me, Byul ssi."

 

The director hummed in acknowledgment at the little jab but decided that snuggling into her girlfriend was more worth it to her than getting back at her.

 

They had been working on different projects for months and enjoying a lazy morning together, cuddling in bed, had become impossible. Between their busy schedules and the always present eyes on their every move, they had barely seen each other and always for a small amount of time. 

 

Byul hated it. She loved her job but not seeing Yongsun was like slowly bleeding out. Losing her energy and her vital force, until she could barely exist at all. 

 

The moon reflected the light of the sun. Without it, she was just a satellite. Invisible to the eye. Hidden in the dark.

 

Byul could relate to that.

 

They stayed silent for a while, just enjoying each other's presence. 

Until Yongsun's phone started ringing, interrupting their idyllic moment.

 

"I am sorry, Byul-ah... It's my manager, I have to answer," she said with a genuine apology in her voice, disentangling herself to get the call.

 

Byul whined a bit for the loss of contact but after a heavy sigh of disappointment, she her back, staring at the ceiling.

 

"I hate your manager."

 

"No, you don't," she snorted, before answering her call.

 

***

 

Seeing Kim Yongsun read her script was one of the most incredible moments of her life, probably the most incredible. Moon Byulyi was sure of it.

 

They were just rehearsing the scenes with the cast but the older woman had already become the character. 

The way she changed her demeanor to turn into a different person, someone she had created, left her speechless.

 

Byul had been writing and directing for years by now, she had worked with many talented people and many less talented people. 

The woman in front of her though, was in a league of her own. 

 

"This was great. We can start shooting next week. If any of you have any questions about the script you can come to me. We can talk about your characters and everything you need."

 

Byul bowed to the actors and the other crew members, while they did the same.

 

Her restless fingers immediately went to play with the pen she was holding. Eyes subconsciously moving around the room until they stopped on Yongsun, waiting politely to be noticed.

 

Byul's fingers froze and the pen fell on the table. An embarrassed blush appeared on the woman's cheekbones.

 

"Is there something you need, Miss Kim?"

 

"I wanted to talk about one of the scenes we have to shoot next week. If you can, of course, Director Moon."

 

The smile that appeared on her face was probably a bit too enthusiastic but Byulyi couldn't help herself. 

 

"Of course! I mean, it would be my pleasure to help you. Even though I don't think you need any help, even from me."

 

Yongsun smiled in response and sat on the chair next to her. 

 

They spent almost the next hour talking about the character and the scenes, their thoughts and motivation from each other's perspective.

 

Looking at the passion in the younger girl's gestures and hearing it in her words, the actress couldn't stop the fascination from growing inside her.

 

***

 

"Are you enjoying yourself, Moon Byul ssi?" 

 

The woman turned around to face the unknown voice, her almost empty drink still in hand.

 

"I am sorry, I don't think we have been introduced. I am just a simple journalist, no one important, really."

 

Byulyi furrowed her brows, looking at the man with a guarded expression. 

One of her hands went to nervously fix the collar of her shirt.

 

"Is there something I can help you with?"

 

The man let out a chuckle and a sense of discomfort grew in the pit of her stomach. She moved her eyes around the room looking for her assistant or anyone she was familiar with in the crowded room, full of people from the industry and anyone connected enough to get in, but she found no one.

 

"You know, I think I could help you, really. You see, there are some distasteful rumors about you. I just wanted to know if you.." his words were cut off by someone bumping into him and spilling the content of their glass on his shirt.

 

"Oh my- I am so sorry, " the newcomer said with an apologetic smile "I can get you some tissues or pay for the cleaner." 

 

The journalist let out an annoyed sound, threw a glance at Byul's surprised face, turned toward the other man and then left the two of them, muttering to himself.

 

"Well. That went well." 

 

"Sandeul. That was stupid." Byul let out a defeated sigh and shook her head."He is not going to let this go because you ruined his shirt."

 

The taller man sighed and threw one arm around her shoulder, ignoring the way she elbowed his side.

 

"Well, I am going to ruin all his shirts then, until he stops being a nuisance. Same for anyone else."

 

Byul smiled a bit at the sincerity behind the playful tone and felt thankful to be surrounded by good people that had her back when others threatened to tear her down. "Thank you for interrupting though.” 

 

"Well, someone had to. Noona was trying to incinerate him with her eyes and was one second away from coming here herself."

 

Byul immediately raised her head at those words. Looking around the place while her heart started pounding in chest.

 

"You should go to the ladies bathroom, you know? To freshen up or something." Sandeul said with a forced casualness.

 

Byul left her almost empty drink in his hand and waved goodbye to her friend, then started walking towards the restroom. Forcing herself to slow down even though her body desperately wanted to start running towards her.

 

When she opened the door of the room, she saw one woman washing her hands and, right in front of the last mirror, Kim Yongsun. Wearing a red top and pants, she busied herself with fixing her red lipstick. The mane of dark wavy hair pushed back by her free hand, to make her beautiful face more visible.

 

Byul let herself admire her for one second before she went to stand in front of the only free mirror. She looked at herself and she felt the irony of looking at the composed and elegant façade of Director Moon, while inside, Byulyi was desperately craving to throw herself at the woman standing a few feet from her.

 

The moment the other person left the room, they looked at each other and smiled wistfully. They couldn't risk being seen by anyone, even though they both wanted nothing more than to fall into each other and talk openly.

 

"Director Moon, hi. It's always a pleasure to meet you," the tone stayed polite but the affection was evident to the other woman.

 

"The pleasure is all mine, Yongsun ssi," Byul's hands twitched at her side and she stuffed them into the pockets of her pants, in fear of not being able to stop herself from reaching out to her.

 

***

 

"Director Moon! We finally met each other. I have been waiting for a chance since Yongsun unnie started working with you!" The woman wasn't someone she personally knew, but she would be lying if she said she didn't know of her.

 

"Hwasa ssi, it's a pleasure." Byul bowed in greeting and admired the young actress. She really was one of the most striking people she had ever seen, she wished for a moment she could capture it on camera.

 

"Yongsun unnie was so obsessed with the script of your movie when she first read it" she said with a genuine smile on her face that made her look even more attractive. "Now that I have seen it I can finally understand why"

 

Byul blushed a little and enjoyed the little surge of pride at the acknowledgment. 

 

"Well, it wasn't just me. Yongsun ssi herself made everything better with her performance"

 

The other woman tilted her head a bit to look at the director, analyzing her.

"Unnie is a wonderful actress and you are great at your job. I guess your chemistry is undeniable."

 

Byulyi felt heat rise to her cheek and let out an embarrassed cough, cursing silently at the traitorous reaction of her body.

 

Before she could answer, Yongsun herself interrupted the discussion.

Looking breathtaking in a striking gold and black dress, short dark hair framing her round face.

 

"Hyejin-ah, you should have waited for me to introduce you!"

 

Hyejin smiled at the older woman with a barely hidden teasing expression.

"Oh unnie, you are the star of the night, everyone wants to talk to you. I just took advantage of Director Moon being finally free."

 

Yong rolled her eyes and turned her gaze towards Byul, meeting her stare head on. When the younger woman didn't waver, she suddenly felt herself blush at the intense attention.

 

"You look beautiful, Yongsun ssi"

 

Byul's voice had never sounded more attractive to her ears than at that moment. And that wasn't the first time she had felt that attraction at all.

It wouldn't be the last either.

 

***

 

Wheein took another shot of soju, not even wincing at the alcohol. 

 

"So are you working on something new, Byulyi unnie?"

 

The director shook her head at the other girl, who was already busy filling up both of their glasses. She was probably going to wake up with another hangover tomorrow. Wheein was not someone you could drink with lightly.

"Not really. I am trying to see if I can finish writing something. After the last movie, I really want to try making something fully mine again, you know?"

 

The younger girl nodded at her words. Wheein was an artist, she fully understood the need of making something you could feel as yours entirely. "I met with Hyejin the other day."

 

Byul raised an eyebrow in surprise, waiting for her to finish talking.

 

"She said Yongsun unnie is taking a little break. She wants her next project to be something that matters to her."

 

Wheein’s knowing smile made Byul huff in annoyance. She loved the girl but since she had started hanging out more and more with Hyejin she had had to deal with both of them teaming up on her and teasing her endlessly about her attraction for Yongsun.

 

"Wheein-ah...You really think that working with Yongsun unnie again would be a good thing? I mean, professionally speaking it would be a dream but I know that's not what you are thinking at all."

 

Wheein pouted and went to grab the still full shot glass.

 

"Well, we all know how much she would also love working with you again. And we barely meet lately because you are both so busy," she downed the shot before continuing with a whine in her voice. "Hyejinnie always finds time for me but you two are such workaholics. Take two birds with one stone, I say!"

 

Byul leaned back against the chair and looked at the ceiling, a dramatic sigh leaving her lips that made the younger girl chuckle.

 

"I guess I could have something we could work on in the near future... and I do miss her."

 

Wheein laughed while shaking her head  and went for the bottle of soju again. "You are such losers, unnie."

 

***

 

When the door opened, Yongsun didn't even bother moving from her comfortable position on the couch.

 

"If a thief walked in the house, would you stand up?" Byul said ironically.

 

Yong rolled her eyes and looked at her over the computer screen on her lap.

 

She was wearing one of her girlfriend's sleep shirt and her glasses, a look that always made Byul feel weak in the knees for how soft and adorable it was.

 

"Well, you are basically one with how much time you spend here and how much stuff you use without my permission."

 

"I have also stolen your heart, ddun."

 

The grin on the younger girl's face was so mischievous and proud, she couldn't help but let out a disgusted sound.

 

"You are so greasy, Byul-ah. I don't know why I even deal with you"

 

Byul pouted a bit and then she grabbed the laptop from her, moving it on the nearby table, so she could lay down on the older woman, hiding her face in her neck.

 

Yongsun huffed a bit at the sudden weight but she still held her close, one hand going to play with her hair, lightly scratching her scalp in the process and making Byul hum in satisfaction."Tired?"

 

"A bit. We had some issues with the cameras today so we had to delay some scenes. I feel sorry for the staff and the cast really."

 

They stayed in silence for a while, enjoying each other's company and the peace that being together brought to them. 

 

Yongsun had been taking her time choosing her next project after their third film together had been another success. She wanted to take on interesting challenges and not throw herself in an easy and soulless project just to work. 

 

Byul was just glad that, with Yong being less busy for now, they could spend some time together. Even though her own work meant they would just cuddle and stay in so she could rest.

 

"I love you, Yong."

 

"I love you too, jagi."

 

Byul left a soft kiss on the woman's neck and pressed her nose against her skin, closing her eyes to take in her sweet smell.

 

"Are you ever tired of hiding?" Her question came out in a sad whisper, lips so close to her neck that Yong could not stop the goosebumps that traveled all over her body.

 

Yong sighed and held the younger woman a bit tighter.

 

"I could tell you that being an actress makes it easy to just lie and hide every single day, and maybe partially it is true. But whenever we have to be out there and fake a respectful distance... I wish I could just throw everything away and be with you."

 

"I hate the hateful world we live in."

 

The actress kissed the top of her head, trying to comfort her silently. "I wish we could live in one of your creations. But I won't let the world tear us apart...okay?"

 

Byul raised her head to look into Yong's eyes. She tried to memorize every detail of her beautiful soft face. 

 

She wasn't as young as when they had first met. Some lines were more defined because of the passing of time. Even in her most comfortable state, she still had an aura of respect and maturity that came with her experience.

She was even more beautiful than the first time she had laid eyes on her.

 

For the nth time, Byul felt the desire to capture her essence on film. To take this instant and make it last forever. She loved this woman with everything she had. So much so that she would leave it all behind if she had to make a choice. And she knew that she was loved just as much by her.

 

When they surged towards each other and let their lips meet, hand raised to hold each other, legs tangled and hearts beating faster together, Byul felt home and that was enough.

 

***

 

Since the first movie together, both women had known and felt the tension between them rise. 

 

Their chemistry at work had translated into a great friendship that they had kept incredibly private. 

 

They had tried to keep in touch and see each other as much as they could with their busy and inconsistent schedules.

 

If it had been anyone else, Yongsun knew she would not have wasted so much energy and the little free time she had. But Byul and her had a connection. They worked well together both on and off the job. And their mutual friends becoming close had just made staying in touch easier for them.

 

The truth was that they were both aware of the growing attraction but they were also far too conscious of what acting on it could cause. So they just kept pushing it back. Meeting up those few times a month with and without Wheein and Hwasa. Talking almost daily on the phone, even just to say good night. And ignoring the ever present elephant in the room.

 

Working together for a second time though, had made it a lot harder than it had been until then. 

 

"Director Moon, I wanted to ask you about one scene if you have time."

 

Byul turned her head towards the actress with a contained smile. She dismissed the other person and invited her to sit.

 

The moment they were left alone, they both relaxed and grinned freely.

 

"Are you actually here to talk about work or did you want to spend time with me, unnie?" The teasing in her voice made the woman scoff.

 

"I do need to talk about work," the young director pouted at her words "But I guess I also missed you a bit." Yong added, a bit sheepishly.

 

Byul winked, "I knew you liked me, unnie."

 

Even though her tone was light, both of them could feel how honest the statement was.

 

"Well... Let's talk business so we can catch up a bit after."

 

Byul nodded and got into work mode, trying to stay professional. Her restless hands went to grab her pen so she could play with it while she discussed the scene with her. When she started swiftly moving it between her fingers though, she could see Yongsun glancing at it from time to time, something a lot less professional brewing behind her eyes.

 

***

 

The day had started well. She had woken up in Yongsun's arms after they had finally managed to have a date night that didn't consist of them staying inside all night. She had had the chance to take her time and enjoy some cuddling in the morning, before having to get up and get ready to leave for work.

 

Then she had received a call from Seulgi and her world got turned upside down.

 

"Yah Seulgi-ah, I am on the road, don't worry. I won't be late."

 

"Unnie.." The weird tone of her voice immediately made alarm bells start ringing in her head.

 

"Are you okay? Did something happen?" Byul looked around her, thinking of a way to stop the car if the conversation turned out to be worrying.

 

"Unnie, I just want to say first that we can still handle and spin the situation in a safe direction."

 

Byulyi hardened her grip on the steering wheel, panic starting to seep in at the seriousness of her assistant's voice."Seulgi what are you talking about?"

 

She heard a pained sigh from the intercom before the younger girl finally answered. "Someone took pictures of you and Yongsun unnie from your date yesterday and started speculating about your relationship."

 

The director felt her blood run cold at her words and she immediately pulled over, receiving a few horn sounds from other cars around her. 

 

Her ears started ringing and she felt panic grip her lungs, making it hard to breathe. Her mind tried to go back to the night before. She tried to think of any suspicious or weird moments they could have let slip while out in the open but her mind came out blank. 

 

"We didn't do anything. We could have been two friends hanging out…we didn't do anything" her voice was a suffocated whisper. 

 

"Unnie, you are right. They are just making it worse by trying to highlight some of–" Byul knew what she would say before she even finished her sentence.

 

"The rumors I have dealt with since I got famous."

 

Please log in to read the full chapter