Five

Once Upon a Tangerine Farm
Please log in to read the full chapter

When dinner was done, and Minna had ran through some practice words with her students, she made sure the three of them were headed straight to bed since they had school to attend virtually the next morning.  

“Seonsaeng, are you not going to sleep?” Eunhae asked from under her covers when she saw Minna hadn’t changed to her bedtime attire. 

“I’ll be in bed in a bit,” she said as she wore her slippers, “I need to call Jung seonsangnim but you should go to sleep first, Eunhae. I’ll turn the lights off, okay?” 

Eunhae nodded and wished her teacher a goodnight before Eunji switched the lights off and went out to the veranda - the same veranda where he first saw Howon a couple days ago after being told that the competition has been postponed and they won’t be able to make it to their hotel. Of course, being the meticulous planner that she is, her first reaction is to look for flights back home to Jinhae, but most flights that day had been cancelled due to the storm. She had contacted her principal who told her to just stay in Jeju until the competition is over. And perhaps this is what she meant when she told Sunggyu that she felt pressured - now she has three high schoolers under her wing and she could not let anything happen to them. Both out of her responsibility as a teacher, and out of her innate instinct to protect them and watch them succeed in the competition.

The wind wasn’t too cold that night, so she sat at the edge of the wooden floor and dialed Eunji’s number. 

“Yah, Park Minna, you finally called,” Eunji groaned from the other end, “I bet you haven’t heard the news that my team won,” 

“You miss me that much huh?” She retorted, “And Joon actually texted me to share the good news. I hope you’re not giving him too much of a hard time,” 

“Ey, stop bringing him up or I’ll think you’re in love with him,” Eunji clicked her tongue in annoyance upon hearing Joon’s name, “Anyway, what’s up with you in Jeju? I heard about the flood in the city,” 

“The competition is postponed until this Sunday, and I’m staying at an inn in the outskirts of the city,” 

“An inn?” 

“Um,” Minna nodded although she knew Eunji couldn’t see her, “It’s ran by these two men, well, they’re starting to become more of a friend now. Even one of them is teaching Changsun to play the guitar,” 

“These two men, are they… together?” 

“Gosh Eunji,” Minna rolled her eyes but let out a laugh, “No, I don’t think so. Sunggyu said they’re more like brothers,” 

“Sunggyu?” 

“Sunggyu and Howon, they’re the owners of the inn,” Minna said and she wasn’t even sure why she was telling Eunji all of this. But she had accepted the fact that Eunji made her open up like no one else could, so she continued, “They also have a tangerine farm as a backyard, it’s actually pretty nice, living this farm life,” 

“I’m jealous,” Eunji said, “I’m here drilling my girls in soccer practice, and you’re there living your farm life,” 

“I’m still grading papers and creating lesson plans here, Eunji,” Minna replied, “I’m helping Sunggyu pick some tangerines in the farm tomorrow though,” 

“Is he your type?” 

“What?” 

“Sunggyu, is he your type? You keep on bringing up his name,” Eunji blurted with a playful grin on the other end of the line. 

“Eunji, we just met three days ago,” Minna retorted, trying to suppress her voice. 

“You didn’t answer my question,” 

Minna knew her best friend won’t drop the topic unless she gave her an answer, “I don’t know yet,” she said quietly, “I think it’s nice that we have some things in common. He used to live in Seoul for quite a while for his career,” 

“See, at least that’s a start,” Eunji declared victoriously, “Is he good looking? Tall?” 

Minna suddenly felt her face heat up. She’d never thought about Sunggyu in that way and now Eunji is planting these thoughts in her head, “He’s fine,” she admitted, “And he has a nice voice too. And he plays the guitar,” 

“Mmhm, go on,” 

“I’m hanging up if you keep on talking about this,” Minna threatened and she heard Eunji’s hearty laugh from the other end, and she realized she’s starting to miss her routine and her life in Jinhae. 

“You know what you need to do next right?” Eunji continued, “Find out if he has a girlfriend,” 

Minna groaned, “Alright, I’m seriously hanging up,” she said, “Bye Eunji,” 

“Keep me posted, take care Minna,” 

Minna quickly ended the call and she let out a huge exhale as she stared at the glimmering stars in the sky. She patted her cheeks, hoping to get rid of the thoughts that Eunji had brought up. 

“Hey,” she heard a gentle voice from behind and quickly turned around, only to see Howon holding a soft blanket in his hands, “I hope I’m not bothering you,” 

“No, not at all,” she smiled at him bu

Please log in to read the full chapter