1/1

falling for you (quite literally)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minjeong often had the perfect excuse to stay inside and quite frankly, the young woman wanted to keep it that way. Maybe it was because summers in Seoul were already a massive ‘no’, suspended in bright neon lights and a massive yellow caution sign. Not unless you wanted to come back looking like a crispy pork belly and not to mention, smelling and sweating like a pig too. It rained far too much during spring, and the yellow dust and pollen were a recipe for severe hay fever, so that was another great excuse and win for the homebody who never really wanted to step a foot outside. And duh of course she couldn’t go out in winter. It was far too cold! 

 

And yet even though she seemed to have an excuse for almost every season, there was something about the weather in September that was perfect for going outside-  even she couldn’t deny it. As she made her way to her small, rectangular balcony she took a deep breath as she rested her elbows on the railings. 

 

It really was a beautiful day. A gorgeous early afternoon with the prettiest blue sky and popcorn-shaped clouds that mostly blocked out the sun, even Minjeong couldn’t resist going outside. Her plan was quite simple. A cycle to her favourite museum, maybe have a little peruse around the different exhibits (she packed her sketchbook to draw anything she found particularly eye-catching) and finish off with some afternoon tea- or if she gets too tired maybe just head right back home. 

 

It had been a while since Minjeong had gone cycling, and she was pleased to find that her bike was still stored safely in the estate's communal bike rack, though there was a little bit of rusting here and there. She prodded around the pedal for a while, making sure that the old chain was still working and gave the breaks a firm squeeze. After a little check to make sure that everything was still alright, she made her way to the museum.

 

Her pace was a little slower than expected, and the girl soon realised that she probably should have pumped the wheels before she left- it was a little difficult to pedal without the wheels fully inflated, but Minjeong was determined.

 

The path to the museum intersected a promenade that bordered the calm blue ocean. On the other side of the bike road was a park with large trees for shade. Minjeong was enjoying her ride so far. The wind was travelling through her short ginger locks and it wasn’t too warm outside. With Tori Kelly blasting in her ears, she cycled to the rhythm and took in the scenery. It was here where Yu Jimin, a PhD student was currently trying to get some work done. 

 

See, unfortunately for Kim Minjeong, Yu Jimin is… well how does one say it? 

 

She’s gorgeous.

 

She has the face that people write songs about, dedicate poems to, a smile that quite literally lusters and blinds like the sun.

 

So when Minjeong accidentally glances at the stranger with a soft smile painted across her lips as she proudly makes notes on her iPad, Kim Minjeong falls.

 

No like, literally.

 

Like she eats . 

 

Minjeong is quickly reminded of why she likes staying at home so much. 

 

Minjeong is disorientated as she opens her eyes. Luckily for her, because she wasn’t zooming down the track like a mad woman, she’s largely okay, but she is in a bit of pain. 

 

She winced as she pulled her tangled limbs away from the bike, finally sitting up. She didn’t want to get in the way of the other cyclists so she pulled her bike to the side by the grass, with a little bit of a limp. 

 

“Christ that was embarrassing.” She murmured under her breath. She could only hope that no one saw her-

 

“It wasn’t that bad.”

 

Oh great. 

 

Minjeong turned her head towards the voice. Soft like velvet, low and heavy with concern. She didn’t know if it was because she might have hit her head, but she couldn’t help but feel stunned at the moment. 

 

“Are you okay?” 

 

Minjeong wasn’t expecting the beautiful stranger to come any closer, so her brain sort of short-circuited as she tried to remember how normal, everyday conversations go. 

 

“You’re so fine”

 

Okay, not off to the best start, Kim Minjeong.

 

“ What ?”

 

“I mean, I’m fine. I’m fine.”

 

, what’s wrong with me?

 

Kim Minjeong, certified girl failure, no, girl disaster .

 

Jimin smiles, “Okay that’s good to hear. I think you just got a few scrapes, that's all.”

 

Minjeong looks down at herself and much like the pretty stranger identified, she has a scraped-up knee and elbow. 

 

“I have some bandages if you need some.”

 

Before Minjeong can even reply, the figure walks back over to the tree and pulls out a pack of colourful band-aids. She keeps her eyes on the bandage, removing the adhesive side from the paper and gently holding her arm to stick it on her elbow. She then repeats the process, this time crouching down to place the bandage on her knee.

 

Well, . Not only does she look angelic, but obviously she has to have the personality to match. This is dangerous for Minjeong and her poor gay heart.

 

“There you go- all better. Sorry about the Shin-chan plasters… That's all I’ve got. My… um… niece… really likes Shin-chan so-”

 

“It’s alright.” She gives an earnest smile. “I think it’s quite cute.”

 

“I think you’re quite cute.”

 

Minjeong's cheeks flush a bright pink at Jimin's compliment. She found herself looking down at her now plastered scraped knee and elbow, looking at the silly characters, secretly hoping to hide her embarrassment.

 

Jimin, noticing Minjeong's shyness, decided to change the subject. "So, what brings you out here today? Besides the...uh, eventful bike ride."

 

Minjeong held back a chortle. “Well, I was planning to cycle to the museum but uh…” 

 

She gestured towards her bike and the broken chain.

 

“Yeah, I don’t think that’s happening any more.” She said, followed by a laugh. 

 

“Well, since you don’t have a bike anymore, would you like to walk to the museum with me? Only if you’d like of course… I’d understand if you’d want to go home and rest after your fall.”

 

For once in her life, the homebody didn’t want to retire back to the warm comfort of her bed.

 

“I’d love to.”

 

“My name is Jimin by the way.”

 

“My name is Minjeong.”

 

“Can you walk okay?”

 

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

 

“Ah, that’s good,” Jimin said with some genuine relief, but soon after there was a slight pout. 

 

Confused, Minjeong quickly asked what was wrong.

 

A small voice replies to her with an adorable sheepishness. “Can you pretend to have a limp?”

 

“Why?”

 

“So I have an excuse to hold your hand.”

 

Minjeong looks back at the taller girl, at a complete loss of what to say. Minjeong doesn’t have much experience when it comes to this stuff, but Jimin’s banter is easy to slip herself into, and so against her better judgement, she plays along. 

 

She makes a grimace and clutches onto her leg dramatically.  “Ah-”

With the most flat, monotonous voice she can muster, she makes a short performance. “Oh-no. I-am-so-terribly-hurt. My-leg. Ow. If-only-a-pretty-girl-could-hold-my-hand.” She finishes, batting her eyelids for extra effect.

 

Jimin laughs and interlocks their fingers. “So you think I’m pretty?”

 

Minjeong thinks she’s more than pretty. Probably the single most beautiful person she has ever laid her eyes on. 

 

She’s not going to tell her that though.

 

Minjeong impishly points her lips and furrows her eyebrows like she’s deep in thought. “You’re alright I guess”, she says with an eye roll. “I mean, it’s not like I literally bricked it 'cause I caught a sight of you or anything.”

 

Jimin’s eyes turn into the tiniest of crescents and Minjeong feels like she’s been blinded again. Maybe she should invest in a pair of sunglasses. The taller girl pulls her hand away for a second and Minjeong pouts unconsciously at the loss of contact, but it's replaced with a smile when she notices that Jimin is wheeling the broken bike near a trash can. She dusts her hands off in the air before she slips her fingers back between hers.

 

“Shall we?”

 

“Lets”

 

Yu Jimin. Twenty-Three. Her zodiac is Metal Dragon (just like herself). Current struggling PhD Biology student. These are just some of the new facts she’s learned about the beautiful stranger. 

 

Jimin also has a terrible sense of direction, but naturally takes the lead when walking. They’ve already stopped two times on the way to the museum because they were too engrossed in their conversation and ended up going the wrong way entirely, winding up near the edge of a river bank. 

 

“…So yeah, some dinosaurs used to actually eat rocks in order to help with the digestion of- wait are we going the right way still?” The older girl asks skeptically.

 

Minjeong smiles at the older girl. “Yes, right after the next turn and we should be there.”

 

“Oh perfect!”

 

“But Jimin, we’re going to an art museum so I don’t think we will be seeing any dinosaurs.”

 

She turns to her, a shocked expression painted on her face. Kind of cute. Like that viral video of a raccoon who watched its cotton candy dissolve in water.

 

“Oh, crap. Have I just been giving you dinosaur facts for the past fifteen minutes for no reason?”

 

Minjeong knew she had to act quickly to save Jimin from any feelings of embarrassment. 

 

“It’s okay, I like them! You with your… Dinosaurizz.”

 

Dinosaurizz? Okay, Minjeong thinks she’s losing it for real now. Why do pretty women make her say the most stupid ? She will never know. 

 

Luckily for her, Jimin doesn’t tease and she plays along.

 

“So if I was a dinosaur I would be a Tyrannosaurizz rex?” She says with a smirk and an annoying raise and wiggle of her eyebrows, clearly proud of herself.

 

Perhaps Minjeong should take the blame for starting this ‘rizz’ discourse, but there was only so much she could take before her insides cringed so hard they became their outsides. 

 

“You’re not funny Jimin,” Minjeong says unconvincingly due to the stupid smile plastered on her face.

 

“Not true! I’m literally sooooo funny. I’m so ing funny. I’m hilarious. A whole riot by myself.” The older girl argues back.

 

“Okay, this conversation ends here.” She says quic

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter