Ending A: Without a Trace

A Portrait of the Gentleman

"Hyukjae, is it really okay to break into Kyuhyun's house like this?"

"Well, how are we going to check out his situation otherwise? That guy has been absent from work for a few days now and didn't even pick up his phone!"

"I don't know... I have a bad feeling about this... Should we get the police involved?"

"That will make Uncle and Auntie worried, not to say that Ahra noona is pregnant now too."

"But..."

 

Hyukjae looked at his boyfriend and sighed. Donghae had always been sensitive to negative emotions and Kyuhyun never disappeared without telling them first, so he understood the man's worry. He squeezed the other man's hand and comforted him.

 

"How about we check his house first and inform the police later if we really can't find any clue?"

"Okay...! Be careful when you climb the tree!"

 

Hyukjae nodded and began to climb the tree next to the bedroom. Looking into the dark room, he couldn't find their friend anywhere and jumped onto the balcony. Luckily, the balcony door wasn't locked so he could get inside. He quickly looked around the bedroom but couldn't find Kyuhyun. So, he went to the front door to get Donghae first and searched the house together. However, they couldn't find the disappearing man anywhere or any clue that could lead to their friend's whereabouts. Moreover, layers of dust gathered on the furniture as if they hadn't been moved for a while. They even found Kyuhyun's laptop, phone, and wallet with money intact so it couldn't be a burglary. While Hyukjae looked through their friend's laptop and phone trying to find a clue, Donghae who felt suffocated and nauseated in the bedroom decided to get some fresh air and stepped out into the hallway. Then, he noticed a painting hanging just opposite the bedroom. He stared at it for a few minutes because something felt amiss to him. Suddenly, it clicked to him and he quickly called his boyfriend.

 

"Hyukjae-ah! Come look at this painting!"

"What's wrong, Donghae-ah?"

"Is this the painting that Kyuhyun likes to talk about?"

"Oh, now that you talk about it, that guy really does like to bring up his precious painting whenever we talk. Hmm, Yesung, was it? The name of the painting?"

"Yes, that's the name. However, Hyukjae, don't you think something is off about it?"

"What? It looks like a normal landscape painting to me."

"No..."

 

Donghae glanced at the oil painting and immediately averted his eyes, feeling a chill creeping down his spine.

 

"Didn't Kyuhyun say that his painting is a portrait of a gentleman? Why is there only a tree and a cloud—"

 

 

 

 

The painting suddenly fell off the wall.