I Know Your Heart Well

I Know Your Heart Well

"I told you not to overdo it."

Donghae grimaces, but stays quiet lying on the bed.

"I know, I just... wanted to show my best side to ELF. Didn't want to disappoint them."

Hyukjae sits down next to Donghae, nudging him. Donghae flops over and Hyukjae sticks on another heat pack.

Maybe it's the heat packs, but Hyukjae's hand is especially warm on his back, rubbing slowly and carefully.

"You always try your best, but the fans will be hurt if you push yourself too hard."

Hyukjae lies down next to Donghae, meeting his eyes, watery and bright as he stares.

Hyukjae's hand finds Donghae's, interlocking their fingers together. His voice is barely above a whisper, so small Donghae would have missed it if he didn't see Hyukjae's lips move.

"I will feel hurt too, Donghae."

Donghae squeezes Hyukjae's hand.

"I'm sorry, Hyukkie."

"I know your heart well, Donghae." Hyukjae leans in and kisses Donghae's forehead. "So please, be kinder to yourself."

Donghae smiles weakly. "I'll try."

Hyukjae exhales softly. "Good. You better, or else."

Donghae snickers. "Okay, mom."

Hyukjae snorts and rolls his eyes. "Maybe if you weren't such a baby, I wouldn't need to act like one."

"But what if I like being your baby~" Donghae's eyes glitter with mischief as Hyukjae smacks his head.

"No more jokes from you, mister. Time for bed."

"Yes, mom." Donghae smiles at the scoff he hears before heΒ feels his eyes start to droop as he yawns.

"Love you," he mumbles, slowly drifting off to sleep. He feels the bed shift and then a blanket being pulled over him. He burrows into the warmth. Just as he's falling asleep, he hears Hyukjae's voice.

"Love you too, idiot."