On Zoom

Space Apart

"Have you ever thought of giving us a chance?"

 

Ningning's eyes shifted to Winter's direction, causing the latter to find it hard to breathe reply even if they were not in the same space. It's been months since the last time they talked this way, and Winter has moved on.

 

 

That's what she always says.

 

 

However, at the back of Winter's mind, she admits to wanting to hold her hand at that moment, kiss her forehead and whisper assurances, and express how, through the past months, she hasn't moved on, nor has she even tried to do so. Why? 

 

Winter thinks they wouldn't work.

 

Winter thinks they'll continue hurting each other, even when their intentions are pure. 

 

Winter thinks that since they're the opposite of each other, their budding relationship won't work as they hoped.

 

In Winter's mind are thoughts saying Ningning doesn't like her, that Ningning's feelings are brought by pity, that Ningning only felt the need to return her feelings, and that Ningning only needs to feel loved.

 

 

At the same time, Ningning thinks it's on her that she doesn't like Winter, that she only wants the idea of Winter being there for her at most times, and that Ningning only likes Winter because she makes her feel special.

 

 

"No," Winter smiled, fighting the urge to let the tears fall from her eyes.

 

Although the camera made Ningning look blurry, almost pixelated, Winter knew Ningning was also on the verge of crying.

 

"You deserve someone better than me. I know someone's out there for you. Someone who'll love you and treat you better than I did," Winter continued.

 

 

Ningning was gone for a second. Her lifeless wall was on the screen, whispering silence to Winter.

 

 

Winter thought to herself, She's wiping her tears. Oh, forgive me, I made her cry again.

 

"That's something I should be telling you," and then Ningning's back. She was opposed to what Winter had expected her to look. There was confusion at first, but soon enough, Winter understood.

 

"You... you deserve someone better than me. Someone who'd genuinely care for you and make you feel happy. Someone who's never afraid of communication, of expressing their feelings," Ningning smiled, a sad one. The kind of smile would make Winter dash to her room and embrace her with all her might.

 

However, this isn't them eight months ago. 

 

 

 

 

From spending years together as friends attached by hip, they're not only laptop screens apart now.

 

There's distance and space between them, bound to separate them forever if Winter doesn't return from her space voyage.

 


 

P.S. You can now reach out (and follow) me on my Twitter account @ohverflow :)