FIN

Fading Echoes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The city lights painted a tapestry of dreams as it sprawled beneath the inky night sky, and amidst its bustling streets, two hearts navigated the intricate labyrinth of emotions. Jeno and Jaemin, their names whispered in the wind like a bittersweet melody, stood at the precipice of a love that was as fragile as it was unrequited.

 

Jaemin, with his heartwarming smile and gentle demeanor, carried a secret deep within—a longing for Jeno that was both silent and overwhelming. His heart was a canvas, painted with the colors of his laughter and etched with the lines of his presence. He cherished every stolen glance and every whispered conversation, his affection woven into the fabric of their shared memories.

 

Jeno, a portrait of resilience and vulnerability, bore the weight of his past love for Mark like an invisible shackle. He held on to memories and fragments, each piece a bittersweet reminder of a love that once burned bright. He stood at the intersection of his heart's yearning and the tendrils of a new connection, his gaze split between two paths that were equally fraught with pain.

 

Jaemin's voice trembled with vulnerability one fateful evening, as they stood atop a rooftop overlooking the city. 

 

"Jeno," he whispered, his gaze unwavering, "I want you to know that I'm here for you, no matter how long it takes."

 

Not having an idea on what he must do,  Jeno's heart flutters without his knowing but feeling it inside his chest, a fragile bird struggling against the cage of his emotions. The weight of his unwavering support bore down on him, a mixture of gratitude and guilt. 

 

Jeno's heart raced as he replayed his words in his mind. He couldn't fathom why someone as cherished as him, with eyes that held galaxies and a smile that could mend broken souls, would utter such a statement? The weight of his words hung in the air, mingling with his confusion and the storm of emotions that raged within him.

 

Just why?

 

"Jaemin," he replied softly, his voice a delicate melody, "you don't have to wait for me. I don't know when I'll be ready."

 

"But that's the thing, Jeno," Jaemin persisted, his fingers brushing against his in a whisper of hope. "I want to wait for you, even if it takes years. I want to be the one who helps you heal."

 

"No, please don't say that." 

 

"Please, let me do that for you." 

 

"I can't. I'm not that kind of person."

 

"You're still the same for me. The person I like, I cherished the most and the most beautiful to me. Please, just let me do it for you. I can't just stand here and see you suffer everyday because of him? Let me at least do something. Please?"

 

"Jaemin.." He cried.

 

"Even if it means being a distraction, let me be that for you."

 

Jeno's heart wavered, torn between the weight of his past and the comfort of Jaemin's offer.

 

Despite his strong reservations and inner conflict, he felt a pang of foolishness as he unexpectedly found himself conceding to Jaemin's proposal, fully aware that the decision might weigh heavily on his conscience in the future.

 

In the shadows of the city, beneath a sky painted with stars, the foundation of their story began to shift. A silent agreement formed between them, a pact to navigate the stormy waters of healing together.

 

---

 

The moon cast a melancholic glow as Jaemin and Jeno walked towards the movie theater, their footsteps creating a rhythm that matched the uneasiness in their hearts. Tonight was a delicate dance between friendship and longing, as Jaemin had agreed to be Jeno's substitute boyfriend, a balm for his wounded heart.

 

Inside the theater, the soft flicker of movie trailers illuminated their faces, revealing the mix of emotions they were trying to navigate. Jaemin stole a glance at Jeno, his heart aching at the sorrow in his eyes.

 

Jeno's voice was a fragile whisper. "I appreciate you doing this, Jaemin."

 

Jaemin offered him a gentle smile, his hand reaching out to brush against his. "I'm here for you. Anything you need."

 

As the film began, their focus shifted to the screen, but the weight of their unspoken words lingered between them. Jaemin could sense Jeno's pain, and he wished he could take it all away.

 

A particularly emotional scene played out, and Jeno's eyes glistened with unshed tears. Without a word, Jaemin pulled him close, allowing him to bury his face in his shoulder as he let his tears flow. He held him with a comforting embrace, providing solace in the midst of his heartache.

 

Jeno's voice trembled as he spoke, his words muffled against his shirt. "Thank you for being here. It means more than you know."

 

Jaemin's grip tightened gently, his own heart aching for him. "You don't have to thank me. I'm glad I can be here for you."

 

As the movie progressed, their fingers intertwined, a silent understanding passing between them. Their connection was a lifeline in a world that had been shaken by heartbreak.

 

Jeno knew that it was wrong, but th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter