Chapter 2

The Assassin's Lover
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She lifted her head and locked eyes with him, a brief but intense connection.

 

“Oh !” she immediately broke contact.

 

“You’re… the girl from the bookshop,” he said slowly, recognition dawning.

 

Her eyes widened, a stammer escaping her lips, “Oh, hi… I didn’t know you worked here. What a surprise… the world is a small place after all…” She fumbled with the words.

 

He smirked, his eyes narrowing. He was convinced that she sought him out on purpose. Women often pursued him; after all, he was handsome, charismatic, and the owner of Singularity. Yet she seemed unaware of his status, mistaking him for a mere employee.

 

“I don’t believe in coincidences… especially when I gave you my business card,” he said, his voice dripping with arrogance.

 

“What are you trying to say?” she snapped, her tone edged.

 

“I know exactly why you’re here…” he paused, watching her eyes flash.

 

“This fool has no idea…” she scoffed internally, outwardly keeping her composure.

 

“…but I’m sorry to inform you that you’re not the first and certainly not the last. Also, you caught me on a busy night, so if you will excuse me…”

 

“Oh please, I don’t want to disturb. Go ahead,” she spat, the sarcasm thick in her voice, stepping aside with a dramatic flourish.

 

He left, but she could see the anxiety in his eyes. Was it linked to the real reason why she was there – the assassination?

 

“But what’s his business in the matter? He’s clearly not one of the security guys…” she mused.

 

The assignment was complete, and it was time to leave. The lack of commotion was a sign that the police were handling the matter silently. Perfect timing.

 

Hye Jin smoothly picked up her helmet from the valet, a gleam in her eyes. With a swift movement, she hopped on her motorcycle and left, the engine’s roar fading into the distance.

 

Meanwhile, the nightclub's office was filled with tension, the atmosphere thick and heavy. Inside, away from the cacophony of the loud party, the owner and his lawyer were locked in a critical meeting.

 

“Tae Hyung! What happened? Your bodyguard told me there was an emergency.”

 

“Jimin... We have a problem.”

 

“Let me guess, he’s drunk?”

 

“Worse. He’s dead.”

 

“! How?”

 

“Poisoning…”

 

Tae Hyung's voice faltered, a rare occurrence that sent a chill down Jimin's spine.

 

“The Dokdang. Those damned assassins! Did you find a burnt flower?”

 

“No. This time they intended to keep a low profile, which means the commissioner of the murder is a big fish.”

 

“Do you think they figured out your plan?”

 

“Maybe. We need to meet with the clans.”

 

“Should I make arrangements?”

 

“I already spoke to RM, he’s waiting to send the alert in the system”

 

“Waiting? For what?”

 

“The commissioner could be a member of a clan.”

 

“Clans are forbidden to deal with the Dokdang… we’re not allowed to kill!”

 

“Remember the murder of the Busan Spouses? Someone within the clans is clearly capable of doing so.”

 

“So, why are we waiting to send the alert?”

 

“The culprits might want to head start the meeting to be the first to propose an action plan… most likely their agenda.”

 

“I see. In the meantime, I’ll try to get some intel regarding the autopsy.”

 

“Good. Come to my mansion tomorrow morning and tell the guys to come as well. Before we meet the other clans, we need to have an internal discussion.”

 

 

Arriving home, Hye Jin's exhaustion washed over her, craving warmth, and relaxation. A long bath was the answer. As she soaked in the tub, thoughts of the night's events lingered. Her curiosity led her to research the nightclub online, and Kim Tae Hyung's picture caught her eye.

 

“Successful nightclub owner,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter