Pan Awakes, Summer Marches In

A Symphony in Six Movements
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Recruitment 101

Her fellow officers sure were not kidding about this. As a newly-founded university-wide organization, the task of recruiting a thousand members with at least 50 members per college was a daunting task, and it all fell upon her shoulders as the one in-charge of public relations.

They manned their booth in full cosplay costumes with anime and Japanese music blaring in the background, and despite the heat, it was working in their favor, with students, mostly freshmen, flocking to them to sign up.

Son Chaeyoung (public relations officer, Biology major) flashed her best smile, making sure her dimples were flaunted in all their glory.

“Your character’s not supposed to smile, right?” Mark Tuan (auditor, Pharmacy major) asked in a teasing manner.

The 69 on his cheek was barely visible, having been wiped out by sweat. But Chaeyoung thought him lucky that his Shuhei Hisagi character was only clad in a muscle shirt, compared to her Nataku Taishi costume – a large baggy white robe tied around the waist. “It’s these dimples that’s doing all the work, hyung!”

Lim Jaebeom (president, Legal Management major) chuckled behind her. “You’re just using that as an excuse to flirt.” He crouched beside Chaeyoung and grabbed the eyedrops on the table – his contact lens for his Hatake Kakashi costume must be drying his eye out.

“In my defense, we already have 300 registrants and it’s only noon of the first day. Trust me, hyung! We’re gonna pull this off!”

“Hi? I’d like to sign up?”

All three of them whipped their heads towards the direction of the voice, but Chaeyoung was quick to make the first move, immediately stepping forward and flashing her signature smile.

“Thanks for showing interest in our org!” Unless you’re interested in me. The student, donning the familiar College of Science all-white uniform, easily caught her eye. She grabbed the sign-up sheet handed it to the girl. She watched as the student filled up the form. “Oh, you’re in Chemistry! I’m in Biology!”

The girl looked up at Chaeyoung and smirked. “I know. You’re Son Chaeyoung.”

She knows me! “You must be a freshie? I can show you around campus so you won’t get lost.” But I won’t mind if you lose yourself in me.

The girl handed the form back to Chaeyoung with a smile. “I took two years off. See you around!” She waved at the other people behind Chaeyoung and walked away, leaving Chaeyoung scrambling to check the form.

Myoui Mina. College of Science. Chemistry. Senior. 09*******34.

She turned around to see Mark and JB slapping their legs, laughing at her. “So much for your rizz, eh?” JB teased. “I want to see how your junior is gonna snatch her.” Mark was almost rolling on the pavement laughing.

Chaeyoung ignored them and ran to the one other person in the booth. “Suzy unnie!” She tugged on Bae Suzy’s (vice-president, Psychology major) cloak, a part of her Mikasa Ackerman costume., causing the older girl to slightly fall backwards. Suzy turned to her with a glare. “Sorry, unnie!” Chaeyoung apologized. “But do you happen to know Myoui Mina?”

Suzy’s face brightened. “Mina’s back? That’s great!” She took the sign-up sheet from Chaeyoung and quickly read through it, before glaring at Chaeyoung again. “She’s a senior, and she’s a really nice girl. One of the top students in Chem, a teacher’s pet. Hands off, Chaeng.”

“I haven’t even said anything yet!” Chaeyoung answered in defense. “And as the one in charge of public relations, don’t you think it’s part of my job to have relations with her?”

Suzy pulled one of the prop swords she had on her back and hit Chaeyoung’s head with it. “Keep that up and I will propose a re-election of officers during the General Assembly!”

 

Officers Meeting

They succeeded in gathering the thousand members required by the Student Organizations Coordinating Council, even exceeding it. Chaeyoung, as much as she was proud of achieving this feat, suddenly felt overwhelmed by the responsibilities her position demanded.

“But I need an assistant, hyung!” Chaeyoung whined, trailing behind JB who ran around the room laughing like a maniac while throwing sign-up sheets left and right.

“I’ll let you have one if you pick up all those papers!” JB teased.

Suzy watched her two fellow officers run around like children, with Chaeyoung almost crawling on the floor trying to pick up the papers like JB wanted her to. She buried her face onto her hands and groaned. “I did not sign up for this!”

A hand reached out from across the table and gave her a sympathetic look. “They do look like they’re having fun.” Minatozaki Sana (secretary, Asian Studies major) smiled at Suzy awkwardly.

Jackson Wang (treasurer, Civil Engineering major) ignored the commotion and focused on the excel sheet staring back at him from his own laptop. He nudged Mark, pointing at certain columns regarding the budget allocation. “We have plenty of funds to hold at least two major events but that still depends on what we’re going to do for the outreach program.” He scratched his head when he noticed that aside from Mark, nobody else was listening to him. He stood up just in time to clothesline JB, who fell flat on his back. “I said we might need more money,” he said nonchalantly, before going back to his seat.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter