Final

Somewhere Between Words
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun hated mornings. The sound of her alarm made her upset. Yes, upset. She had to get up, get dressed, have breakfast, go to university, talk to people… But she liked school. She just hated people. No, she hated guys. And couple.

She got up and got dressed. She let out a sigh. Everyone around her was discovering their soulmates. Joohyun was envious and nervous. She was twenty-two years old. She had dated before, like everyone else. She wanted to experiment. Was fate real? Was that soulmate thing real? It seemed like it. Her relationships didn’t last long. She didn’t feel comfortable with those high school boys. She had dated a girl when she started university. It was better. Not perfect but better. She had to hide her relationship. It wasn’t really common and accepted for two women to be a couple. That girl wasn’t her soulmate, Joohyun knew that. But now, she was scared that her soulmate was a man. Fate couldn’t be wrong, right? If it was a man, then Joohyun would love him with her whole heart. That was what she thought.

Joohyun pulled up her sleeves to wash her face. She was still kind of sleepy. She rubbed her eyes and looked straight into the mirror. She blinked. Once. Twice. She noticed it. The drawing on her arm. She took a long look at it. She scrubbed it, not believing what she was seeing. It wasn’t fading. It wasn’t her drawing. It was her soulmate’s. Her soulmate drew a bear on their arm and now Joohyun had it.

She let out a shaky breath. That was it. She was going to discover anytime soon who the love of her life was. She went back to her room, took a red pen and drew a small heart next to the bear.

“Great.” It wasn’t.

Joohyun decided to wear a long-sleeved shirt this morning. She wasn’t ready. She just wanted to deny it.

 

Joohyun denied the drawings and quotes on her arms. For weeks. It had been weeks since the bear. She would wake up every morning with something new. After the red heart, she went silent. Joohyun never wrote anything back.

Joohyun’s best friend, Sooyoung, had noticed the soulmate’s writing. And her job was now to best friend until she decided to accept her soulmate. Or maybe it was just for fun. No one really knew. The two friends met at university, Sooyoung was Joohyun’s first friend. They were pretty different. Sooyoung was outgoing and loud while Joohyun was shy and quiet. At least, she was shy and quiet outside, around unknown people. Both girls were around the same age, and they studied the same major.

“So. What did that sweet guy have written today?” Sooyoung asked, pulling up her friend’s sleeve. “I’m not sure what love is but I’m sure that I need you by my side.” She nodded, agreeing with the quote.

“He doesn’t even know me.” Joohyun mumbled. “Who can he say that if he doesn’t know me?” She shrugged kind of upset by the quote.

“What if he does? What if it’s someone you dated?”

Please, no, Joohyun thought. She loved her best friend but now this question was going to be stuck in her mind for a while. She prayed for Sooyoung to be wrong.

“Come on, Joohyun. Aren’t you curious?”

The silent woman shook her head. She definitely wasn’t. Joohyun pulled her bag out from under her table before realizing she had left her textbook in her locker. “I’ll be right back.” She quickly threw it before leaving the classroom. Sooyoung nodded, knowing there was some time before their teacher came in.

“Hey, Hyun.” The voice startled the older student. Joohyun looked at the woman next to her.

“Seulgi.” She smiled, diving her textbook into her bag.

Seulgi was a year younger than Joohyun. They met during a student party that Joohyun was dragged to by Sooyoung. The two girls kind of clicked. Seulgi had immediately found a nickname for the other girl. Joohyun didn’t mind, it felt nice. Seulgi was a sweet girl. She was caring, sometimes kind of naïve.  The younger of the two was taller and really pretty. She often had her hair tied in a ponytail.

“You don’t have class?” Seulgi asked with a smile on her lips.

“I do. I forgot something.” Joohyun checked the time on her phone. “You’re not skipping, are you?”

The taller girl let out a small chuckle. “No, no. Don’t worry. I have some free time to work on my school project.”

“Alright.” Joohyun wished she could have more time to talk with her friend. She saw Seulgi often but they didn’t have proper time to chat, plus, she didn’t even have her number. “I got to go. See you.”

“See ya, Hyun.” Seulgi waved at her as she walked toward her classroom.

 

Joohyun was mad. She was in a terrible mood this morning. Her soulmate had decided to draw a bunny on her arm. A bear and a bunny. It was cute, it was a really cute drawing. Joohyun didn’t find it ugly, she found it almost feminine. But it wasn’t the point. The problem was Sooyoung. Joohyun knew that her best friend would be able to look for the person who was probably an art major. With all those clues, Sooyoung wouldn’t be stopped. And Joohyun didn’t want that. She wished she would never meet that man in her life. No, it wasn’t true. Maybe she would love him. Yes, she would. Maybe it wasn’t a man. That thought made Joohyun happier. It was very rare but sometimes fate got it wrong. It was a case in a billion. Whatever. She didn’t want to think about it.

Joohyun slammed her locker’s door. Sooyoung stared at her for a couple of seconds before speaking.

“What’s wrong with you today?”

“Nothing.”

Sooyoung didn’t buy a word. “It is about your soulmate?” The upset woman lied her back against the locker. “You want to tell me about it?” Joohyun threw a death glare at Sooyoung.

Sooyoung shrugged it off. She loved to friend, but she didn’t want to get Joohyun mad. The quiet ones are the most dangerous, she thought.

“I’m going to the bathroom before class.”

Joohyun nodded without a word. She passed a hand through her long dark hair before pulling her sleeve to be sure to have that drawing hidden. She closed her eyes and rested her head against the locker.

“You okay?”

“Just leave me alone.” Joohyun snapped without looking at the person.

She got no answer, so she opened her eyes. She noticed Seulgi’s silhouette walking away from her. She recognised her figure. How didn’t she recognise her voice? Joohyun got a bad feeling in her stomach, even worse than the previous one.

“Wait, Seulgi.” She reached the young woman and grabbed her hoodie.

Seulgi stopped and turned around. She was trying to hide a hurt look on her face. She managed to pull out a smile. Joohyun got even more upset. Not at Seulgi, or anyone else, but at herself. She had a huge crush on this girl. She knew it. That was part of why she hated that soulmate thing. She had known since the beginning. The younger woman was nice, caring, funny and absolutely beautiful.

“Sorry.” Joohyun mumbled. She didn’t want to believe that Seulgi did something wrong.

“Did I do something wrong?” The taller woman asked as Joohyun released her grip from her hoodie.

“I’m running through some personal stuff. I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

Seulgi nodded, taking a few seconds before answering. “I know we’re not that close but if you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter