Chapter 2: No comfort like home

Easy Love, Difficult Love
Please log in to read the full chapter

Just a head's up! This chapter will explore more on Joohyun's character and introduction of her sister, Yerim :) 

 

     "I'm home, Yerim-ah." Joohyun announces her arrival as she steps into the condominium unit she shares with her sister. She has not seen Yerim yet but she knows that the girl is out there in the living room waiting for her. Joohyun never asked her to, but the younger girl insists on waiting for her to come home every night, no matter how late it gets. 

     Yerim who was watching a Netflix show on the TV got up from the sofa and came walking to greet her sister at the door. 

     "You sound a little chirpy tonight." 

     Yerim says as she notices the change of tone in her sister's voice. Joohyun has never sounded like that upon reaching home, well, has never been to ever since they moved to Seoul. And that was about a year ago. Yerim doesn't want to pry too much and ask her sister about it, about whatever that is making her feeling a little happy tonight, afraid that it might be one of those nights her sister would be crying the whole night without sleeping again. 

     "Did I?" Joohyun asks, a slight smile creeps up on the corner of her lips. 

     "Your boss gave you an early bonus or something?" Yerim randomly blurts out, "Or did you buy me a gift?" 

     Joohyun laughs out at Yerim's witty remarks as she headlocks Yerim in her arms with a fit of giggles coming out from the both of them. Amidst the laughter, Yerim soon realizes that she has not heard her sister laugh this happily and sincerely for a while now. She knows that her sister has one of the prettiest laughs ever, and being able to hear it after a long time really made her feel warm. 

     "How was your school today?" Joohyun asks after letting go of Yerim's neck when the younger one shows defeat. She sits on the sofa, feeling a little tired after the friendly fight with Yerim.

     Joohyun knows that she's the reason that Yerim decided to follow her to Seoul, and she knows that it is now her responsibility to make sure that Yerim that grows up in a loving environment, even though she knows that she is lacking in it. Not only that she has to keep her playful side as a sibling for Yerim, but now she has to take on the role of a mother to Yerim as well ever since they left their hometown -- Joohyun for work, and Yerim followed along because she wants to be with her sister and also because she's worried of letting her sister staying and living alone. Their parents had a hard time being convinced to let both of their daughters go to the city, but they knew it was a better choice for the both of them. Especially for their eldest daughter. 

     Every once in a while, Joohyun would ask about Yerim's day at school when she remembers and she would listen attentively when Yerim talks about her day. Her sister is always talkative and the way she animates her day would make Joohyun so engrossed in her story that she would forget about her own stress and hardships she faces on her own. And every time she does so, she makes sure that Yerim has a comfortable and safe space for her to share her worries, like their mother would always make them feel. 

     "It was fine, I have a new best friend, remember?" Yerim says calmly. She decides that if Joohyun doesn't want to talk about what made her smile today, she won't ask as well. 

     "Nayeon, was it?" 

     Yerim smiles as it makes her happy that Joohyun remembers even the littlest detail about everything that Yerim has told her. Talking about Nayeon was just a swift passing moment when they had a talk for 5 minutes two weeks ago. 

     "Yes, it is Nayeon." Yerim says as she finally sits back on the sofa to continue watching the drama she had paused a while ago, "She's inviting me over to her house to make cookies next week. I can go, right?" 

     "Of course." Joohyun nods her head with a smile on her face, happy that her little sister can get along with anyone easily as long as wants to. She's happy that her sister has finally found a friend because she remembered Yerim saying she struggled to fit in this new school because everyone seemed to already have enough people in their friend group to let Yerim join them. 

     "Just be careful not to burn their house down." Joohyun adds. 

     Yerim gives a sharp glare at Joohyun but later failed to contain her laughter because she knows that Joohyun is just joking around with her. 

     "I'll call you first instead of the firefighters if that happens." Yerim says back. There was a moment of silence before they broke into laughters. 

     As Yerim focuses back on the drama she's watching, Joohyun warmly looks at Yerim and she's thinking about how grateful she is to have her younger sister at her side at times like these, sharing these moments and laughter together with her. She knows it wasn't easy for Yerim to decide to drop everything she has had back in their hometown and to start anew in a different city. And for that, she's eternally thankful for her sister's existence and she swears that she will cherish her sister even more because she's all that she has now. 

     "Yerim-ah," Joohyun calls out softly, knowing full well that Yerim would sometimes get annoyed when she's being interrupted while watching her drama, "do you wanna lie down on my lap?"

     Upon hearing that, Yerim quickly pressed the pause button on the TV to get her full attention to Joohyun.

     "Is something wrong with you today?" Yerim asks. 

     Yerim asks but the child-heart in her can't hide the happiness on her face as she misses bonding time with her sister too. Joohyun chuckles at the sight of happy Yerim and she pats her lap for Yerim to lay her head on. 

     Like an instinct, Joohyun brushes and smoothes Yerim's hair when Yerim settles her head comfortably on her lap. Yerim closes her eyes as she dwells in the comfort of her sister's warm hand over her hair. Her drama on TV is now forgotten. 

     "Unnie," Yerim calls out suddenly, breaking the comfortable silence they were sharing. Joohyun hums as a reply so Yerim continues to ask, "did you go somewhere to drink just now?" 

     Joohyun's hand stops moving upon hearing the question from Yerim. She suddenly felt like she has been caught doing something she was not supposed to. 

     "Why would you ask that?" Joohyun asks back, feeling a little nervous for being interrogated by her sister. 

     "You smell like cigarette smoke with a mix of alcohol," Yerim says as she opens her eyes now to look straight into Joohyun's own pair, "you drank a little so you got a little tipsy and now you're acting a little weird." 

     Joohyun gives a soft slap on Yerim's forehead. She can't believe that her sister's sense of smell is that sharp. Yerim bursts into a fit of giggles. 

     "You silly," Joohyun now tries to tell Yerim the truth, "I did go to a bar, but I didn't drink any alcohol." 

     Yerim now bursts into a big laughter instead, replacing her giggles. She finds her sister cute and funny sometimes. 

     'Why did you even go to a bar if you were not even gonna drink?" Yerim asks in between her laughter, "You don't even drink the cans of beer you bought and it has been sitting in the fridge for months." 

     "Mind. Your. Own. Business." Joohyun utters each word with her finger poking at Yerim's forehead. 

     Yerim slaps Joohyun's hand away as she laughs, "Explain to me then why are you being so touchy!" 

     Joohyun suddenly thinks that she can't possibly te

Please log in to read the full chapter