END

from this day forward
Please log in to read the full chapter

Sunday: the traditional day of rest. School’s out, and schoolchildren roam the parks and zoos and arcades and theaters. They still want to see their friends, but being outside the confines and restrictions of school allows for greater fun.

Working adults work on, however. Babysitters and grandparents can have a day with younger children; teens congregate on their own.

Jongin works from home and has no schedule to apply to, although he tries to set certain times for certain things, ultimately leading up to a deadline and brief freedom afterwards.

His Sunday is still a workday, but he takes his work outside with his son.

The dog park is a popular place for both dogs and people and is within reasonable adult walking distance. Jongin usually carries Taeoh back.

He sits on a bench with a sketchbook and pencil, deciding to leave his bag with his easel and paints at home. After bouncing on his heels, Taeoh is dismissed and can happily run wherever he pleases, as long as he doesn’t leave the park or his dad’s direct sight.

Taeoh meanders along the paved path, waving to some dogs and eagerly acting on ready permission to pet the friendlier ones. A stubby-legged dog with tall ears stops its investigation of a piddle puddle and pushes through its human’s legs to greet the boy.

“This is Mongryong.”

“I’m Taeoh!” Mongryong ignores the offered hand and immediately kisses his new friend. Taeoh laughs, not at all grossed out by the enthusiastic . “Why’s he so short?”

“He’s a Corgi; they’re all short.” The human crouches to speak to Taeoh. He’s a young man wearing a pretty sweater; Taeoh likes the stripes of color.

Rubbing his hands over the dog’s exposed belly, Taeoh asks, “Will he be big, when he grows up?”

The man shakes his head and smiles. “Nope. They stay this size. Don’t worry–he doesn’t mind. He can still jump onto the sofa.”

“Oh. That’s good.” Mongryong has had enough belly rubs and flails his legs to roll upright. “Can we play?”

“Sure! Mongryong loves Frisbee. If you throw it, he’ll bring it back.”

Mongryong is too eager to wait and tries to steal the Frisbee, leaping up and snapping his jaws–

–catching the little boy’s fingers. The Corgi immediately releases him and the toy, tucking into himself at the boy’s first wail. He tries to shuffle forward and find the hurt to make it better, but the boy just clutches his hand and cries.

Baekhyun’s beside him in an instant, gently but firmly taking his hand to look over. “Are you okay?” He doesn’t see blood, just the faintest bitemarks on the boy’s fingers. “You’re alright. No blood, see? You’re okay. No need for tears.” But it’s still not good. His dog bit the kid, and if there’s any damage, he will have to pay for it.

Which is fine; he’s more than willing.

Hopefully the parents won’t try to go after Mongryong, though; he just gets too excited, sometimes.

“What happened?” Jongin runs to them, dropping to his knees. The boy throws his arms over his neck and cries, incoherently and waving his hand, then gesturing to the man and his dog, and it’s all very confusing.

The man catches Jongin’s sharp look his way and bows slightly. “It was an accident. Mongryong–my dog–gets too excited sometimes, and he caught your son’s fingers when he tried to steal his toy while they were playing. I’m sorry.”

“Taeoh, let me see…” There’s minimal swelling, but anything is a lot to such a small child.

He cracks open a bottle of water. “Here, have a dri

Please log in to read the full chapter