[3]

Name the Stars After Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Minjeong was 7 years old, her Mom left her opened laptop at the table. She didn't inted to fiddle with it because her Mom had always reminded her to not meddle with other people's things especially without permission.

 

But being a child, curiosity naturally took over Minjeong. Sitting in front of the laptop, she peered at the words plastered on the screen.

 

On the screen was a commemorative post for someone who had passed away.

 

“... You will always be remembered.”

 

“It's been a year since you've left us but it still feels like yesterday.”

 

“We miss you... All of us do.”

 

Minjeong didn't fully comprehend it at the time but she thinks it's immensely sad. 

 

Leaving people behind.

 

________________________________________________________

Days pass but barely anything has 

changed with their set-up. 

 

It's still the same routine of arriving at the playground, be greeted by joy personified — sometimes accompanied by ice cream, listen to her talk, and leave after some while. 

 

Sometimes though, Minjeong would reply, and that's progress for Jimin — miniscule, but still, progress. 

 

And Minjeong's getting used to it; to Jimin's presence. She's getting so accustomed to it that she doesn't even heave a sigh anymore when she sees the outline of the girl. And, she thinks, it's the same for Jimin. 

 

Minjeong doesn't want that. 

 

She doesn't want another person to get caught up in her mess; she doesn't want to add another one to the list of people who'll be left with only remnants of her. 

 

But she couldn't bring herself to shoo away Jimin. 

 

To Minjeong who spent half her life viewing the world monotonously, meeting Jimin was like that historic moment during the 1950s when colors were introduced to TVs. Jimin barged into Minjeong's life with all the colors spilling from her whole being.

 

(Although Minjeong wouldn't admit that.)

______________________________________________________

One day, instead of plopping down in her spot, Jimin stands in front of Minjeong. 

 

“Do you want to go to my house?” 

 

Minjeong looks up to find Jimin grinning at her — as usual. 

 

“Sure.”

 

Truthfully, Minjeong doesn't know why she agreed with Jimin's proposal. She tries to ponder it over as she stands awkwardly in the doorway watching Jimin call out for her Mom. 

 

“Oh? You're home earlier than usual.” Jimin's Mom comments as she emerges from the kitchen. 

 

“Yeah, I brought a friend.” Minjeong bows and quips out a hello when Jimin's Mom turns to her. 

 

“This is the first time I've seen you, sweetie, are you a new friend of Jimin?” The elderly woman asks, and for a moment, Minjeong hesitates. Because she'd never accepted Jimin's proposal of being friends. 

 

But not wanting to keep the woman waiting, Minjeong answers yes. 

 

Minjeong didn't see it but Jimin brightened up at her answer. “Can we occupy the living room, Mom? I want to show Minjeong something.” 

 

“Go ahead. Do you want me to prepare you girls some snacks?” But the woman didn't wait for their answer, already retreating to the kitchen while saying so.

 

Jimin turns to Minjeong and beckons her to follow. “So there's this show I've been wanting to watch,” Jimin starts as she turns the TV on. “Wait, do you watch animations?”

 

“Sometimes.”

 

“Good,” Jimin nods gleefully. “As I was saying, there's this show, it's called Attack on Titan. Have you seen it?”

 

Minjeong sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter