Just A Moment Too Long

Just A Moment Too Long

"You keep saying that we're friends, but I always catch you looking just a moment too long at me for that to be true."

Hyukjae's heart stops.

"What are you-that's not what-I don't-"

Donghae watches as Hyukjae tries helplessly to deny his words before finally falling silent.

"What are you scared of?"

Donghae's voice is quiet as he searches Hyukjae's face for an answer.

Hyukjae's hands are restless as he clenches them into fists. He refuses to meet Donghae's eyes, instead staring at the rise and fall of his chest. Does he even understand it himself?

"You're...you're the only person I've ever actually wanted to spend the rest of my life with, and that scares the crap out of me."

Donghae's breath catches somewhere between his throat and his ribcage, heart beating painfully in his chest as he watches Hyukjae fold in on himself.

Donghae pulls Hyukjae into his arms, voice muffled against his chest. "You idiot..."

Hyukjae returns the tight embrace without thinking and revels in how being in Donghae's arms feels like... like it's the only place he should ever be. Like it's the only place he truly belongs.

Donghae squeezes before looking up at Hyukjae, whose eyes are wide open, barely daring to breath as Donghae smiles at him.

"You really think you have a choice in the matter by now? You're already stuck with me for life."

Donghae's eyes twinkle as he tilts his head to the side.

Hyukjae lets out a soft, breathless laugh and leans his forehead against Donghae's, their shallow breaths mixing in the chill night air.

"I should have known you wouldn't let me get away anyways."

"Well, you should know I'm going to kiss you now, okay?"

"... Okay."