CHAPTER 1: MEET

ANAHEIM
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

HARU

Standing here at the counter for about 3 hours made my feet feel numb. Waiting for a single customer to appear out of nowhere. I'm kind of wondering now where my boss gets the money to pay me. Not to pass judgement, okay? I am not saying she's been up to something. It's just... nevermind.

If we have more than ten customers in a single day, it will be a lucky day for us.

I started working here since March of last year, and the pay isn't horrible, but it's also not enough. So, I had to work double shifts—I work at a food delivery business at night. Another thing is that I am the only employee at the shop.

Summer vacation will be over soon. Me and boss will take turns to our shift and I may not be able to do delivery by that time. I sighed out of 

Chime of the door clacked and it made me snapped out of my reality.

The figure of a stranger approached me. She has light skin, a slim shape, a nice brown butterfly cut with full bangs that make her look surreal, cat eyes and downward-turned lips. Based on she looks like, she's definitely acquainted with my boss and comes from a wealthy family.

I returned to my reality when she tapped the counter’s desk and firmly composed myself.

“Good day! What would you like?”, I smiled widely as if I wasn’t examining her full appearance seconds earlier.

“I want your boss.”, I was about to type her order, but that doesn’t sound like we offer that on our menu.

I turned my gaze upon her, making a clueless face, telling her that I probably just mistook what she just said.

She came forward and repeated her exact words.

“I want your boss.”

“I-I’m sorry, Miss Ma’am, but I don’t think that we serve that kind of coffee here.”

She laughed in disbelief like I was the dumbest person she ever met. Well, can you blame me? I mean, who on earth would go to a coffee shop and tell the employee that they likes to get the boss. I mean, that's crazy... or nah? I'm drowning in my own thoughts again. 

“Ha! I never thought Summer will hire a comedian barista.”, She shakes her head while saying those words. To tell you honestly, I don’t know what she’s trying to imply just now.

Is she picking a fight on me or what?

“I’ll take that as a compliment.”, But clearly it was a subtle insult.

Sometimes I don’t understand well-off people. They often think they’re superior to anyone just because they have plenty of penny inside their pockets than us commoners.

"You should stop picking on kids," a voice from behind me said, break

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter