END

Bad for my Heart
Please log in to read the full chapter

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

 

Yuri and Minju were walking along with some students when Minju's smart watch started beeping loudly. Some were even startled and started grabbing the friend they were with to walk faster.
 

Yuri stopped walking though and turned to face Minju. "Ya! Why is your heart rate going up?!"

"I- I don't know! I'm confused too!" Minju replied, trying to stop her smartwatch.

"You shouldn't wear that thing anymore, seriously. I think it's faulty." Yuri spoke as she looks over her bestfriend that's currently fiddling with the smartwatch.

"You know I can't. I'm helping my mother on her little experiment and she needs every data she can get." Minju replied and sighed after when the smartwatch finally stopped.

"What's the experiment again?"

"I honestly don't know but my mom's trying to figure out something. Oh, speaking of her- Hi mum." Minju greeted when she picked up the phone call and Yuri only nodded and walked along with her.

"Your heart rate went up quite a bit. What happened?" Sana, her mom inquired.

"I don't know mum. I was just walking then it suddenly shoot up."

"That can't be. It must have a trigger. Did you see, smell, feel or eat anything?"

"Uhm.. Nothing in particular but I think I smelled a faint scent of chocolate?"

"Makes sense. It was the only thing that excites you. Was someone eating one?"

"As far as I know, there's none." Minju turned to her bestfriend. "Have you seen anyone eating chocolate earlier?"

Yuri shook her head. "But if someone's eating one, how much chocolate was that? Enough to smell around the corridor?"

"Try to figure out, okay? This is gonna help you a lot." Sana reminded her daughter.

"Yes, mum. Thank you."

"Alright, have a good day kids."

 

---

 

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

 

"Ya, ya. Class is about to start, what are you getting excited about?" Yuri asked her bestfriend who's smartwatch is beeping again and looked around.

Yuri saw a pair of students, one tall and one smaller, and the latter is eating chocolate while walking inside the room. "Ahh, that's why."
 

The pair of student walked past them and Minju somehow got a whiff of chocolate and her heart rate started to get faster.
 

"Ya!" Yuri shouted to the person who was eating chocolate.

"Hmm?" The girl hummed in reply. Yuri just stared at her chocolate. "Oh, this? Do you want some?" The girl offered.

"Finish it up already. Hurry up. Somebody's sensitive of it." Yuri scolded.

"Oh, right. Sorry, it slipped off my mind." The girl chucked the remaining chocolate into , shoved the wrapper on her pockets and sat down beside the taller girl she came with.

 

"There, that should take care of it." Yuri then looked over her bestfriend. The beeping was only for a few seconds, just to alert others that the person wearing it is experiencing a medical problem but the smartwatch shows that Minju's heart rate is not getting slower. "Oy, why is this not slowing down?!"

Minju, who's also confused, shook her head and finally got a call from her mom.

"Hija, what's wrong? Why is it not slowing down? Are you okay?" Minju heard her mom on the other side.

"I- I'm not sure, mum." Minju managed to reply before her breathe started raising.

"Oy, Kim Minju!" Yuri called out but Minju has already loosened her grip on her phone and had her eyes close.

"Kim Minju!" is the last thing Minju heard before losing her consciousness.

 

---

 

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

 

The constant beeping of the oximeter is fusing with the voices of the people arguing around Minju's bed.

 

"This is your fault! If you hadn't walked in with that chocolate she wouldn't be like this!"

"I know okay?! I'm really sorry."

"You know you're walking inside a class full of people with medical problems yet you just do anything. What's were you even doing there?!"

"What do you think people do in class?!"

"Alright now, shut it. She needs to rest." Minju heard a new voice. A low, kind of husky but with evident worry on her voice. "You'll wake her up with how loud you're arguing."

 

Minju felt her heart rate increase slowly and slowly opened her eyes as well.

 

"Minju!" Yuri shouted before leaping into Minju's side. "You always like to make me worry!"

"Where am I?" Minju asked, trying to sit up. The taller girl saw Minju struggling and helped her.

"Thank-"

"You're in my parent's hospital. How you feelin’? Anywhere hurts?" the taller girl asked as Minju's trying to say her thanks.

"I'm okay... Uhm.."

"Ahh, right. Sorry, I'm Yujin. And that dumb one over there is Yena. We're sorry, you're here because of my pal."

 

Minju just nodded, feeling like her heart beat faster and held her chest. Yujin saw this and worriedly leaned over Minju, grabbing her other hand and squeezing it.

 

"Are you okay? Does it hurt? Yena, quick! Grab my mom!"
 

Minju watched as Yena runs out of the room, Yuri leaning in to check on her and Yujin squeezing her hand and mumbling.

 

"Hey, you'll be okay. We're here. Let's try to calm you down, hmm?"

 

That was the last thing that Minju heard before a doctor came rushing in as she blacks out for the second time.

 

---

 

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

 

Yujin sits in the corner, watching as her mom takes care of Minju.

 

"Do you guys have any idea why her heart rate started going fast again?" Jeongyeon, Yujin's mom asked after hearing an explanation from Yuri about Minju's situation.

Yujin shook her head. "No idea, babba."

Yuri shook her head as well.

"Come to think of it." Yena started. "I saw her heart rate going faster after Yujin approached her."

"Me?" Yujin pointed her hand towards herself. "Why me?"

"I don't know dude. Just saying what I observed earlier." Yena replied.

"Do you eat chocolate?" Yuri asked.

Yujin shook her head. "I'm not a fan of sweet foods."

"Then what do you have that caused her heart rate to go up?" Yuri asked.

"I'm just as confused as you." Yujin answered, rubbing the back of her head.

"Alright, that's enough, kids. Yujin, Yena, go outside of the room first. Her parents would be here in a bit."

 

---

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

 

The sound of the oximeter greeted Sana and Tzuyu when they arrived at their daughter's room.
 

To some, it might be heart breaking having to hear your own daughter's heart beat but to them, it gives them a sense of relief.

 

A normal beating heart. That's all they want for their daughter.

 

Minju has the case of not getting excited over things however they found out the hard way how she gets excited when she received a chocolate one day, her heart rate shoot up to the point of blacking out.

 

That's why Sana thought of doing the experiment with the smartwatch. To figure out what triggers her daughter and if there's anything else that can be a trigger(also to monitor her). They already have figured out chocolate when Minju was a kid but they have to be aware of other things so Minju can avoid them but so far, it's only chocolate.

 

Sana first pitied her daughter when she was made aware that her daughter doesn't have anything that excites her but when she figured out what excitement can do to her daughter, she started to get worried.

 

Sana used to be so worried about Minju that she considered home schooling her but Tzuyu shook her head and said "The kid needs to socialize." she said. However, Minju never really got along with people and an introvert so when she brought Yuri home for a sleep over, they were ecstatic and the two has been friends since.

 

Both parent are worried but they trusts Jeongyeon, she's a reputable thoracic surgeon and a close friend back in college too.

 

Sana and Tzuyu were both in a daze, thinking about their daughter when the door opened.

 

"I would never expect both of you is this kid's parents but then again upon closer look, she does look a lot like the both of you." Jeongyeon spoke.

 

Tzuyu and Sana smiled at the familiar face.

 

"It's been too long." Jeongyeon smiled back. "Don't worry, she's fine. Yuri told me everything but I just can't figure out why she had that second black out."

"Second one? How?" Tzuyu asked.

"The second time it happened we were sure there were no chocolates. She woke up fine but her heart rate started going up again when my daughter approached her. I'm not really sure why but my daughter ain't fond of chocolates." Jeongyeon then opened the door and gestured Yujin to come in. Yujin went in and apologized while bowing and Sana observed that Minju's heart rate is slowly rising.

 

Jeongyeon was alerted by this and asked Yujin to go back out, only then Minju's heart rate went back to normal.

 

Tzuyu was worried since she doesn't have an idea of what's happening to their daughter, Sana too but Sana unlike her wife who was a veterinarian, seems to have an idea why and as a researcher, her mind is running wild with ideas.

 

"Does your daughter have anything with cacao with her right now?" Sana asked.

"She doesn't. That kid doesn't like sweets."

"She smelled sweet though?" Tzuyu spoke.

"I'm not gett

Please log in to read the full chapter