Chapter 02 - I am Past

TROUBLE (Good feels bad, Bad feels good)

 

Flashback

“Sonya” a voice interrupting me from my deep thoughts. My gaze changed from the road to the man in his mid-thirties, I noticed the eye bags under his eyes and how chapped his lips were from all those skipping meals. Guess there are so many things happening at the Hospital he is currently working. Plus, we’re moving out from our old house to a more convenient place. Near the Hospital and near to my new school. When Dad told me we were moving next to the Byun’s house, soon Uncle Bongjun told Dad that their neighbor had moved out a long time ago and their house was quite near to Cheongdam High we both gladly moved out the next 3 days.

“It’s your first day at the new school, don’t worry I asked Baekhyun to show you around” he paused, gulping down the lump in his throat, eyes still fixed on the road.  “Just be nice,” he said as he ran his hand down my hair. I smiled weakly and nodded. So many things happened and I keep on telling myself to forget about it. It’s a new school and all I need to do is open a new book too. 

Two weeks passed and I told Dad that I’m familiar with the whole neighborhood, he also don’t have to send me off to school every day now that Baekhyun showed me which bus to take and all. Well, surprisingly he agreed and so I went to school with Baekhyun by bus. 

Not until one day the boy was playing soccer, the ball flew so far it hit the nearest bushes and to my own discomfort, the bushes there would trigger a person who has eczema. That is my childhood best friend, Byun Baekhyun. The boy was itching all over his body and Uncle Bongjun had to pick both of us up. The red raches and dried skin were all over him, that's the first time I cried. After… anyways- Watching my one and only friend suffered. 

Dad went back home to check up on Baekhyun and fortunately, he’s fine, Dad said he should stay home for at least two days, not until all the raches stopped coming out. Well then, I think it’s left me alone now that Baekhyun was absent. 

The next day, taking the bus I sat far behind. Pluck a pair of earphones inside my ear, listening to music. I looked out through the window as I rested my head against the seat, my thoughts went back to my best friend at his home. How had he been coping? Did he put on the medical lotion Dad brought for him from the hospital? How could the ball fly over the bushes? Who would have kicked with that much strength? Unless… 

If only I could actually see what happened there. 

So deep in my thoughts, I felt a tap on my shoulder. Knocking senses in my mind, I pulled the earphone and turned to the hand that tapped on my shoulder. My eyes trailed and met with bright eyes. A girl with the same uniform as mine was sitting next to me. How long has she been there? The girl was smiling so brightly, I stared at her confused all over my face. 

“Hi, you’re the new girl, right? Lee Sonya?” she asked, I nodded slowly still confused by the sudden greeting and how the heck does she know my name? I looked over her shoulder and there was another girl, the same uniform straight face glancing towards me. “Well, Um… not really new, now that you've been there for two weeks. Same as me but then I am their new intake makes me your junior, thanks to my cousin here, Joy-“ she motioned to the girl beside her.

“Basically, wanna eat lunch with us?” the Joy girl out of sudden asked me. Even the girl in front of me was shocked at the sudden invitation. 

“Yeah, sure….” A smile slowly appeared on my face then the girl beamed at me.

“GREAT! THE NAME DAHYUN!” 

///

After a month, the three of us became friends and I found out that Joy was the most trustworthy person, Dahyun on the other hand was just a little bit aggressive. Baekhyun was happy that I made new friends but don’t worry we are still hanging out together. Until one day, the four of us went back home from school, walking back since we missed the bus. Took a 15-minute walk though. Joy suddenly opens up about the ball that flew through the bushes. 

“That was months ago,” stated Baekhyun. I looked over Joy curiously, as the dark hair girl shook her head. Dahyun on the other hand was silent, waiting for her cousin to continue. 

“It might be months ago Baek… but-“ she paused, contemplating whether it was the right thing to say or assume. I don’t like the sound of it by the tone Joy was using. “I think someone was trying to hurt you” My eyes widened at the sudden information. I stopped in my tracks. The thoughts of it. No wonder the ball was unusually kicked too far. It was on purpose. 

“Sonya?” Dahyun shook my shoulder asking me what’s wrong? Everything turned blur, why would someone want to hurt Baekhyun? He’s not- No no no. Tell me this is not happening again. I am not going to los-

“I heard that the seniors constantly bullies you” my thoughts were cut off soon I heard the word. My eyes were looking directly towards Joy. Dahyun is still asking me what’s wrong? My head turned to younger girl beside me then to Baekhyun’s flustered ones. He nervously chuckles trying to deny but the three of us remain serious. 

“Just name calling… it’s nothing… really” he admits. He finally admitted. Even a short answer had made me fumed in anger. My fist was clenched. 

“Name calling? Excuse me… Dahyun, tell me if I hear it wrong?” I asked the usual aggressive girl who was now silent. She shook her head. Then I stared at Joy who had her eyebrows furrowed probably thinking that what she said might be a mistake. 

“I promised you Son… it’s nothing serious….” he trailed off his voice was nervous. The four of us had an intense moment of silence which was killing me as we stood on the road. Cause I need answers and I want to know who. Baekhyun is my best friend, someone who actually understands how my mind works and the one that has been put up with my distant attitude, and if he was hurted in a way I would never let that one who puts misery in his life. 

“Gay … STD boy… Fungi boy… Fa-” Dahyun said out loud the names but then her voice were muffled when Baekhyun shut with his palm. How come I didn’t know about this? Where did they know? I was with Baekhyun the whole time- no. There's time I can’t meet Baekhyun. PE classes, Chemistry, Add Maths and Club meetings. I don’t have many friends. 

“Triggering your raches was categorised in name calling? Byun Baekhyun?” I asked him and the guy’s look was totally out of color and he opened his mouth but shut it soon I voiced out. 

“Yall no need to explain the details. I'll have my own way of dealing with the sons of  a gun” I walked past them and turned around to say the last words.

“If you guys wanna help me. It’s gon be a dirty road and if yall won’t like it. You’re welcome to leave” but the four of them shook their heads following me as we walked back home all full of silence. I take that as they are willing to help me. 

///

Few months of stalking, planning and all those stuffs to take down the seniors that have been hurting Baekhyun. Combined with Joy’s brain, Dahyun’s being good at eavesdropping then Baekhyun who had been so patient putting up with the es. Then there’s me, the mastermind, the one who would initiate the attack on those kids that had hurt my friend. 

Also, I thought that it would be nice to get rid of those kids that bullies others and take control of the high school. By means, take down the seniors, the head of all bullies in this school and steal their crown. Guess it would be nice too for people to be afraid of me then no one would be brave enough to touch me, my friends. The thought puts a wide grin on my face. The others were fine too. So it’s never the problem. 

It’s almost the end of school’s year as we will have a long holiday. So I thought it best to strike them. 

It was nighttime and the three of us were waiting at the bus stop for Joy’s signal. After a few minutes, Joy text me that she had made an arrangement with the guard and we were good to go. 

“Where the papers?” I whispered at Dahyun and she pulled out tons of papers. I nodded then turned to Baekhyun as he pulled an envelope to slide it through the principal’s office. The boy went to the office and soon I tilted my head to the direction. He gave me a quick reassuring smile before sprinting across the hallways. 

“We don’t have much time, Son! Come on!” Joy’s voice echoes throughout the hall. I quickly went to the wall and pasted it all over the place. Then, there’s the familiar locker I usually saw them talking about. I paste the paper on the locker.

This is the moment. The moment I finally take control of the whole school. The moment they’ll stop. Nobody dare to mess with me. With Cheongdam High being the so-called ‘prestigious’ school. Oh, I know how things would go smoothly tomorrow.