Heartbeat

Heartbeat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

IN A QUIET HOSPITAL ROOM, THE STERILE SCENT of antiseptic hung heavy in the air. Seulgi, a talented and compassionate doctor, stood beside the bed, her heart heavy with sorrow. The love of her life, Irene, lay frail and weak, her body ravaged by a relentless illness that had stolen her vitality.

 

 

It all started with Irene's recurring headaches. She always put up a brave front, telling Seulgi everything was fine and that it was just another headache. Seulgi was naturally concerned and kept a watchful eye on Irene, but Irene always reassured her with a loving kiss.

 

The headaches grew more intense over time, until they finally reached a critical point. Irene, who had been waiting at home in their shared bed, was left in agonizing pain. Her head throbbed, her eyes stung, and her entire body ached. In a moment of desperation, Irene reached for her phone and called Seulgi, begging for her to return home. Seulgi's heart sank as she heard the desperation in Irene's voice. She immediately left her work at the hospital, and dashed to her car.

 

“Be okay, please.” Seulgi mumbled to herself, driving back home. Her phone calling Irene’s number again, but her lover wasn’t picking up. Once she reached home, she immediately opens the front door, calling out to her lover’s name, but she got no response. She went to their shared bedroom, and she saw Irene unconscious on the white, wrinkled sheets.

 

A medical examination revealed an alarming white mass forming in Irene's brain, nearly the size of a plump grape. Both Irene and Seulgi decided that chemotherapy would be the best course of action, with Irene trusting Seulgi's expertise and judgment. Despite the treatment having some positive effects, Irene's health continued to worsen, and Seulgi was well aware of the situation.

 

Seulgi had devoted her life to healing others, to bringing light into their darkest moments. But now, as she looked into Irene's eyes, she felt powerless against the merciless hands of fate. She had always been the rock in their relationship, the one who held everything together. She found herself crumbling under the weight of despair.

 

She asks herself, "What kind of doctor am I?" She felt helpless and stupid, everything happening so quickly and unexpectedly, especially after she had kept such close tabs on Irene. Despite always reminding her to eat well and on time, she couldn't stop her from getting sick. How could this have happened?

 

Seulgi couldn't bring herself to sleep. She was determined to stay by Irene's side, no matter what. With her heart aching, she struggled to accept thei

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter