1.

we could happen

Wonyoung swears she is independent. She moved out of her father's house after passing the bar, made (making) a name for herself, which is very much different from her engineer dad, and now she could swear she did not need anyone to survive.

 

Well, maybe not all the time.

 

To: Liz

10:38 PM Lizzie, I think my microwave is broken. :((((((( 

 

Wonyoung pouted as she rechecked her appliance. Busy researching for a case, she failed to check the container before heating it. She did not even bother removing it from the paper bag. As it turns out, the paper box container is lined with aluminum, and within the first few seconds, she saw lightning-like waves flash inside her microwave, followed by a tiny explosion. She frowned, frustrated. She just wanted to heat her lasagna. 

 

From: Liz

10:41 PM lol

10:41 PM bili ka na lang ng bago

10:42 PM ano naman magagawa ko jan 

 

Wonyoung frowned at the reply. Why does it feel like Liz's mocking her misfortune?

 

To: Liz

10:42 PM I hate you.

 

Liz was quick to reply.

 

From: Liz

10:43 PM no, you don't

 

Wonyoung rolled her eyes.

 

To: Liz

10:43 PM No, I don't.

10:43 PM But I want to. Hmp. 

10:52 PM Lizzzzziiiiieeeeee!!!

10:52 PM I don't want to buy a new one. It's so wasteful!

10:52 PM And you know this one's expensive. We bought this together!

 

Wonyoung put her phone down after fixing all the files spread over her table. She made coffee after. Taking a sip, she rechecked her phone. 

From: Liz

11:13 PM call this number

11:13 PM 09XXXXXXXX

11:13 PM it says dongwook's electronics services

11:13 PM just googled it though

11:14 PM nice reviews so far

11:14 PM they do home service

11:16 PM bye i have to sleep

11:16 PM night night, wonyoluvs

 

Wonyoung supposed it would be unwise to call at this time of the day, but afraid she might forget it, she decided to send a text.

To: 09XXXXXXXXX

12:34 AM Hello po. Free po kayo bukas for a home service? Nasira po kasi microwave ko. May pumutok. 

 

Wonyoung did not think she would receive a reply. She was surprised to read replies after finishing her night routine.

 

To: 09XXXXXXXXX

12:40 AM yes po

12:40 AM address and time na lang po

12:40 AM 750 po labor thx

 

Wonyoung managed to send a quick reply before retiring to bed. 

 

--

Wonyoung woke up to her phone ringing. Oh. She overslept. She rested her back on her headboard before pressing to answer the call.

 

"Hello?" she said weakly, obviously sounding like she had just woken up.

 

"Ay, ma'am. Sorry po. Nagising ko po ata kayo. Ako po 'yung mag-home service sana ng microwave niyo," said the other line.

 

Wonyoung's brows furrowed as her brain processed the voice of the caller. That was definitely a woman on the other line, right?

 

"Oh, wow," Wonyoung let out. "What's your name?"

 

"Yujin po, ma'am. An Yujin."

 

"Okay. Tawag lang ako sa reception. They'll let you up after. Just say you are here for Jang Wonyoung."

 

"Copy, Ma'am Wonyoung."

 

Wonyoung ended the call. She smiled, amused. Now that was weird. She was expecting at least a middle-aged man. Liz did say it was "Dongwook's Electronics Services," after all. But well! Who cares! It's 2022. gender conformity! She should know better.

 

She made her way to the comfort room to brush her teeth. It's too late to take a shower now. She grabbed her robe, and just when she was done tying it close, she heard a knock on her door. It's a good thing the repairman is well... a woman. 

 

"Hi, ma'am!" was the cheerful greeting that met her.

 

In front of her was a woman in her red polo uniform, black pants sealed with a bucket belt, and dirty old chucks while holding a toolbox in her hand. 

 

"Hi," she responded with a small practiced polite smile. "Come in."

 

She opened the door, and when the woman was inside, she gently closed the door. The girl was still smiling at her. 

 

She noted that the girl was almost the same height as her, which means tall, with tied hair and fringe perfectly covering her forehead. If Wonyoung were being objective, the girl was rather cute to be in this job line. Not that she stereotypes! 

 

"Ano po bang nangyari, ma'am?" the girl asked. She had already put her toolbox down and proceeded to inspect the appliance. "Mukhang bago pa man din po itong microwave niyo. Baka covered pa ng warranty 'to, ma'am?"

 

Wonyoung walked towards the kitchen island, shaking her head. "I don't think covered pa ng warranty eh. I accidentally heated a paper box container na lined ng aluminum sa loob. Then may narinig akong parang sumabog."

 

"Ay," the girl replied, clicking her tongue after. "Naku, ma'am. Bawal kasi talaga 'yung ganun. Mga metal like kutsara, tinidor, kutsarita. Mga 'yun, ma'am, hindi pwede."

 

"I know," Wonyoung said sternly, annoyed that this girl appeared to have thought her stupid.

 

"Ay sorry, ma'am. Alam ko naman po na alam niyo." Wonyoung saw Yujin purse her lips, probably afraid. Yujin bent down and grabbed a screwdriver from her toolbox. 

 

Wonyoung wasn't very interested in the work. She got up from the table and proceeded to make herself some breakfast. And by breakfast, that's just her cereal and coffee. Always a coffee. Not wanting to appear rude, she offered to serve Yujin the same. 

 

"Breakfast tayo," was her nonchalant invite.

 

Yujin giggled, which caught Wonyoung's attention. She looked at the girl briefly with her brows meeting each other. She finds the girl weird.

 

"Ay. Bongga. Breakfast date agad," said Yujin. "Sige, baby. Kain ka na. Ayusin ko lang 'to."

 

Wonyoung rolled her eyes. That was supposed to sound creepy, and she was supposed to find it rude, but the girl looked so damn harmless. Almost like a puppy. Wonyoung is annoyed. Very much so. 

 

"Uy, joke lang 'yun, ma'am," Yujin cleared when she noticed Wonyoung's response. "Eh kasi naman hindi halos kayo ngumiti eh. Ang ganda niyo pa naman. Mag-isa lang kayo rito?" Yujin proceeded to ask casually as she continued opening the microwave.

 

"And you're asking that because?" Wonyoung said, sounding suspicious. Well, the crime documentaries she has been watching for 'research' isn't helping either.

 

"Small talk!" Yujin answered surely. She leaned a bit forward for a good view of Wonyoung's living room. "Sosyal talaga mga units dito sa building na 'to, 'no, ma'am? Mahal dito for sure." Yujin placed the cover on the floor before using a pout to point to Wonyoung's breakfast. "Alam niyo, ma'am, mas masarap na almusal 'yung tapsilog kesa jan sa cereal."

 

Wonyoung forced a smile. She made sure Yujin would notice. My god, ang daldal niya!

 

"'Pag nagawi kayo sa may Yangdo Street, ma'am. Hanapin niyo 'yung Rubi's Carinderia. Ayun. Dun masarap 'yung tapsilog nila."

 

Wonyoung just nodded. Will Yujin continue talking to her until she finishes her work? Wonyoung wanted a quiet morning.

 

"Matagal pa ba 'yan?" Wonyoung asked, not wanting to talk about her breakfast. Right before Yujin answered, Wonyoung heard her microwave running. It was unusually loud.

 

"Ma'am, may baso or bowl po ba kayo jan? 'Yung hindi po metal, ha," Yujin added, obviously teasing. "Test lang po natin."

 

Wonyoung quickly grabbed a cup and put some water in it before handing it to the woman.

 

Yujin placed the cup inside the microwave. Fearing the exposed appliance running, Wonyoung moved a little backward. She saw Yujin pull out the cup. Yujin dipped her finger in the cup and shook her head. 

 

"Naku, ma'am," Yujin said. "Nadali 'yung magnetron, ma'am. Hindi umiinit eh. Ayun siguro 'yung sumabog."

 

"Okay. So it cannot be fixed anymore? I mean, hindi na maaayos?"

 

They were close since Wonyoung handed Yujin the cup, which is why she saw Yujin laughing and heard her laughter clearly. 

 

"I can understand English, Wonyoung," Yujin spoke fluently. "You don't have to translate," Yujin told her teasingly. Wonyoung blushed, however, ashamed she may have come out an elitist.

 

"I wasn't trying to-" Wonyoung could not finish her sentence. Yujin was just shaking her head and smiling again. That cute little grin that reaches her eyes... oh Wonyoung decided she hates it. She hates it a lot. 

 

"Aww. Ang cute mo, ma'am," Yujin added. The thing is, Wonyoung doesn't think Yujin was flirting with her. The girl just looked amused at best.

 

Yujin picked up the cover from the floor and fixed it on top of the microwave. "Maaayos pa naman, ma'am. Papalitan nga lang 'yung magnetron. Ibang bayad 'yung parts."

 

Wonyoung nodded. "Mahal ba 'yun?" she asked. Usually, Wonyoung would not have cared about the price, but since she's playing this whole independent thing where she does all the budgeting, Wonyoung is demanded to be curious. 

 

"Hindi ko rin masasagot eh." Yujin was screwing the cover shut. "'Di bale kabalik ko sa shop, check ko if meron kami nung part. Tapos text kita agad, ma'am."

 

Wonyoung realized the woman was already packing her toolbox.

 

"Paano 'yung bayad ngayon?"

 

"250 lang. 750 'yung labor, 'di ba? 'Yung 250 is for checkup and 'yung 500, kapag okay na lahat."

 

Wonyoung quickly retrieved her purse that was lying on the sofa. Fortunately, she has smaller bills. She picked two one hundred peso bills and a fifty and handed them to Yujin, who was already done packing.

 

"Here, thank you," Wonyoung said. "So you'll just text me then?"

 

Yujin chuckled again, and Wonyoung just made a face, annoyed because she was clueless while Yujin was just being... whatever it was she was doing. "What?"

 

"Sige, Ma'am Wonyoung. Itetext kita. 'Wag kang mag-alala." 

 

"Nakakainis ka. Do you know that?" Wonyoung said, finally letting Yujin know what she thought. being polite!

 

Yujin looked guilty and scratched the back of her head. "Sorry. If you want, iba na lang siguro papupuntahin ko sa susunod."

 

"There's no need for that," Wonyoung answered a bit too quickly. It was too late for her to retract when she realized. "Just-" Wonyoung sighed. "Kailangan ba talaga you're this flirty kung may kausap kang client? Others would find it creepy, you know?"

 

"Flirty?" Yujin cluelessly replied. "Hala. Sorry. I was just trying to be funny, sabi ko nga." Yujin grinned at Wonyoung—that same annoying puppy smile.

 

Before Yujin could finally hit the door close, "Others don't find it creepy, though," she added with a smug shrug. 

 

Wonyoung definitely hates her.