For A Moment

For A Moment
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Are all cats even nocturnal?” 

 

The wind felt average as it brushed through Seulgi’s face however a tiny particle of dust went below her eyelash, she blinked. “That cat over there has been sleeping for a while now.” Joohyun adds and adjusts her body, legs straight and flattened on the prickly grass. The palm of her hand slowly reddens as she weighs her entire torso on the ground. “I want to be a cat.” Seulgi tells and Joohyun scoffs, still waiting for a proper answer. “I bet I’d be a cat if I was an animal.” 

 

“You’re dead asleep at night. You’d never be one.” Joohyun ridicules her and looks below, meeting Seulgi’s eyes. She didn't see Seulgi’s eyes properly as the lady was wearing an Under Armour cap but she did notice how she winked playfully. “Just be there and a pack of Esse would do. I’d have you all night.” Seulgi puckered her lips for a kiss after but Joohyun raised her knee and it caused the other to laugh.

 

Seulgi places both her hands behind her head and lays her entire body on the grass, head relaxed on Joohyun’s lap. She feels the continuing beat of Joohyun pulse on her leg and it makes her feel at ease, she closes her eyes. “Depends on the cat.” She answers and Joohyun hums in reply. They were at peace, a spring night in the suburbs of Joohyun’s hometown until realization hits.

 

“Hey you think someone’s watching?” Joohyun hesitantly removes the girl off her lap but Seulgi stops her and sighs irritatingly. “Who cares, they’d see you as a friend anyway.” The other exclaims and cozies herself more. “You never know, the world is poky nowadays.” 

 

“Relax,” Seulgi reassures and sits up, face inches away from Joohyun. She saw Seulgi’s tired eyes, slowly drifting to sleep yet she smiles innocently and leans closer. “We’re just friends, remember that.” There was a crack in her voice, Joohyun just nodded. “What if I kissed you right now?” Joohyun asks and mildly looks at her lips, looking back at her eyes as if it was a taunt. “Girl friends kiss each other all the time. We’re just friends.” Seulgi reminds and kisses her cheek. Joohyun blushes.

 

“Come on,” Seulgi stands and reaches for Joohyun’s hand, she accepts however, thinking wildly at the thought. “Let’s go to your place.” Joohyun nods and follows her steps, hand in hand.

 

Joohyun stares at the streets for a while and notices the crowd growing as the night begins to darken, she covers her head with the hood of her sweater and tries to pry away from Seulgi’s grip on her hands but Seulgi awkwardly tightens her hold. Joohyun tries again for the second time yet the latter firmly closes their hands together. Joohyun tries to look at her face but Seulgi never looks back and it makes her wonder what goes into her mind knowing this isn’t the first time this happened.

 

It took a fair amount of hesitant walks and grips by the pair before they reached a more crowded area. They walked over multiple curious eyes that took second looks before reaching the domestic apartment of Joohyun. It wasn’t secluded at all, quite a few people were outside the building since it was an apartment on the aisles of boutiques and restaurants. 

 

Joohyun opens the door by her rusty old key and Seulgi was the first to enter, removing the hold on Joohyun’s hand. “I didn’t realize it's just 7. Good thing we left early.” Seulgi admits, sitting by the couch and slouches a bit more lousily before opening her arms, “Come on.” Joohyun gives in and leans by Seulgi’s narrow shoulders. She faces on her right and breathes against the crook of the lady’s neck. “Hey wanna watch some anime?” Seulgi tells and Joohyun hums in a yes. Seulgi smiles wistfully knowing Joohyun doesn’t like anime at all.

 

“Hey, I want to ask you about something.” Joohyun says, they were separated from each other as 30 minutes passed by, she was on the other end of the couch while Seulgi was a body away. 

 

“What?” Seulgi nonchalantly questions, eyes still glued at the screen while Joohyun looks before her, spotting a picture frame of them both from a decade ago.

 

“Do you think choosing a person you love over what you love doing is immature?” Her voice was hoarse and it sounded forced yet Seulgi remained concentrated on the show. “No, I think it’s sweet.” She replies and the latter scoffs in mischief. “Then why won’t you ever do that to me.” 

 

It wasn’t a question, it’s a statement. Seulgi never pries her eyes away and stares at the television, seriously. “Cause you're more than a person I love.” It was monotonous and Joohyun couldn’t find out if there was sincerity in her words, Seulgi never bats an eye and continues to watch. The neon light reflecting on Seulgi’s face and her concentrated look on the series was enough to provoke Joohyun. She stands up, clicking her tongue in mild annoyance, walks away and enters the island kitchen. 

 

Unbeknownst to Joohyun, Seulgi sighs harshly and glares at the other by the corners of her eyes. “Goodness.” She mutters but never follows after.

 

Joohyun rummages through her cupboards and looks for the specific Jif peanut butter, about to binge-eat yet she disregards the matter when she spots a semi-empty Esse. She opens the torn pack and hisses when three rollies are there. She takes one and heats the stoves, taking the cigarette near the burner, it ignites.

 

“Oh darn.” It was after the first inhale when she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter