invisible string

wicked games
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Eomma!" Jihyo sprung up from her bed as her body was covered in cold sweat. She had been troubled by a disturbing dream that dug up memories she had long ignored. Her heartbeat quickened as she realized she was reliving the night of her mother's death.

 

She took a deep breath before making her way to the kitchen, her footsteps echoing through the silent darkness. With trembling hands, she poured a glass of water, hoping to quench not only her physical thirst but also the lingering unease in her soul.

 

As she drank, the cool liquid cascaded down , momentarily soothing her troubled mind. But as the night wore on, sleep avoided her, leaving her alone with her restless thoughts.

 

 

 

Weary from a sleepless night, Jihyo trudged to work, her mind still plagued by unsettling dreams. Seeking comfort, she found herself drawn to a nearby coffee shop in the ZO Hotels.

 

As she entered, her eyes scanned the room and landed on Jo Insung, seated comfortably by the counter. Panic seized her, and thought of turning back, but it was too late— he already saw her.

 

"Jihyo-ssi! Fancy meeting you here," he called out, his voice carrying through the bustling café.

 

Jihyo took a deep sigh. Can't this day get much worse? She thought. Yet reluctantly, as if her feet had their own decisions, she approached him, her smile barely reaching her lips. "Good morning, Mr. Jo," she managed to reply and looked away. I hope it worked again this time.

 

The night before, Jihyo did go to the condominium building Insung sent her. She knew what was gonna happen and she knew she had to face the consequences of her actions, whatever they may be, since using her powers against a mortal is a forbidden rule set by the Jade Emperor herself.

 

When she reached the designated room, Jihyo hesitated for a moment before knocking softly. The door slowly opened, revealing Insung. "Jihyo," he said. "I'm glad you came. Please, come in."

 

Those were the last words Jihyo heard from him before she used her powers to manipulate his memories again, erasing all traces of what she had done earlier from making him drawn to her and replacing them with a simple, casual meeting.

 

It was a desperate attempt to do, but deep down, she knew it was at least the best temporary solution and yet again, not minding the consequences that may follow.

 

"Are you alright?" Insung worriedly said as he noticed she was spacing out.

 

Jihyo nodded, avoiding his concerned eyes. "Ah. Yes, sir. I'm just thinking of the drink I'll consider for my go-to order as I might go here frequently," she tried to change the topic.

 

"The coffee here is great. You might want to try their iced latte. That's what I order every time." Insung said, extending his cup toward her.

 

"It's okay, sir. I prefer drinking iced americano."

 

"Oh." He replied and smiled. After a while of thinking, he said, "Why don't we enter the office together? It might lift your spirits a bit."

 

Jihyo hesitated She knew the employees would scrutinize their interaction, especially as she just started working a day ago. Yet, before she could decline, her exhaustion got the better of her, and she found herself nodding in agreement.

 

And together, they walked through the office doors, the air buzzing with anticipation. Whispers and sidelong glances followed their every step. As they approached her desk, Jihyo's heart pounded in her chest. The gaze of her co-workers bore into her as their eyes sparked curiosity towards Insung and Jihyo's immediate closeness.

 

"Just call me if you need help," Insung said before entering his office.

 

"Ne." She replied. Then, she looked around and saw the other employees from their respective departments looking at her. "Aish. Why are they looking at me like this? Gosh."

 

"Who?" Startled, Jihyo looked up and saw a tall man with kind eyes standing before her. "Are you alright?" he asked, concern evident in his voice.

 

Jihyo quickly composed herself and forced a smile. "Yes," she replied, not wanting to have any eye contact with the person trying to make a conversation with her.

 

"Ah, you must be the new secretary that Insung hyung has been talking about," the man exclaimed, a hint of mischief in his voice. "I'm Kwangsoo, Insung hyung's friend." Then, he leaned against the edge of her desk, his playful eyes fixated on her. "He's been going on and on about how talented and efficient you are. Seems like he's quite captivated."

 

Jihyo felt her cheeks flush, unsure of how to respond. "I'm just here to assist him with his tasks," she managed to say.

 

Kwangsoo chuckled. "Well, brace yourself for his upcoming business trip to Jeju Island. You'll be accompanying him, right?" Jihyo blinked in surprise, her mind racing to catch up. She hadn't been informed of any business trips yet. But before she could answer, Kwangsoo continued, "He's also been talking about it nonstop. Looks like he's excited to have you by his side."

 

With a polite smile, Jihyo thanked Kwangsoo for the information and turned her attention back to her work, her mind now preoccupied with thoughts of the trip that is waiting for her.

 

After his short encounter with Jihyo, Kwangsoo entered Insung's office, still with a mischievous grin on his face as his eyes danced with excitement. Insung, engrossed in reviewing some documents, looked up and raised an eyebrow at his friend's sudden intrusion.

 

"What brings you here, Kwangsoo?" Insung asked, setting the papers aside.

 

Kwangsoo leaned against the doorframe, a playful smirk tugging at his lips. "I just had an interesting encounter with your new secretary, Jihyo," he began, relishing in anticipation of sharing some juicy news. "I like her already."

 

Insung's interest was piqued, and he motioned for Kwangsoo to continue.

 

"Like she's quite something, you know," Kwangsoo continued. "Everyone's already talking about how beautiful, efficient, and talented she is. And rumor has it that you've been singing her praises nonstop even though it's just been one day."

 

Insung chuckled. "Well, she is indeed impressive," Insung admitted, a faint blush tinting his cheeks.

 

Kwangsoo's smile widened playfully, and he pointed his finger at Insung as he walked closer to him. "Ahah! So the boss is smitten, huh? I knew it!"

 

Insung's blush deepened, and he playfully swatted at Kwangsoo's arm. "Don't jump to conclusions. I see her as a talented secretary, that's all."

 

"Oh, come on, hyung. I've known you for years, and I can tell when you're interested in someone. There's definitely something more there."

 

Insung sighed, realizing that he couldn't hide his growing attraction for Jihyo and he did fall into Kwangsoo's trap. "Alright, fine. She is undeniably attractive. But we're colleagues, and it's still important to maintain professionalism."

 

Kwangsoo grinned, feeling proud that he made his hyung admit something unconsciously. "Well, if you say so, hyung. But don't let that spark go to waste. Who knows? Maybe she's interested too."

 

Insung laughed. "Go back to work, you brat."

 

 

Later that afternoon, Insung found himself troubled with a sudden decision that came into his mind, his fingers tapped against the smooth surface as he contemplated making the call.

 

After a moment of hesitation, he finally reached for his phone and dialed Jihyo's number. As it rang, he couldn't help but feel a flutter of anticipation in his chest.

 

On the other end, Jihyo's phone buzzed, interrupting her concentration on her work. She glanced at the screen, surprised to see Insung's name flashing across it. Taking a deep breath, she answered the call.

 

"Hello, Mr. Jo," Jihyo greeted him.

 

"Jihyo, please, call me Insung," he replied, his voice warm and inviting. Jihyo was stunned and was taken back to what occurred the day before. It also happened, and not just through imagination, but in a real situation where she is the only one who remembers it. "Can you come to my office? I wanted to talk to you about an upcoming business trip."

 

"Ne." She replied and went to Insung's office. Jihyo knocked on the door and gently opened it. "Sir?" She said.

 

Insung stood up and said, "Come in." With a sweet smile plastered on his face.

 

This is so weird. Jihyo thought while her brows frowned, as she was also having second thoughts on whether her mind manipulation really worked the last time they met.

 

"We're heading to Jeju Island next week," Insung said as soon as Jihyo settled in her seat. "We'll be visiting our new branch of ZO Hotels there and prepare

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter