01/01

best song [One-shot]
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

[Dialogue Guide]
Bold = English
Normal = Korean

----

Chat: my eternal sunshine🌻

 

Hyun…

 

Hmm??

 

I have to cancel date night…I’m sorry ㅠㅠ

There’s a meeting that was just scheduled for tonight ㅠㅠ

I tried to push it to another day but they have no other availability…

 

Aww don’t worry about it, babe❤️

 

But it’s the third time I’ve cancelled on you this month ㅠㅠ

I’m really sorry ㅠㅠ

 

Don’t apologize for something that isn’t your fault ㅠㅠ

It’s okay, really~

I know it’s been a busy period for you lately

I just want you to not skip your meals and get more rest ㅠㅠ

 

I should just quit my job😩

 

Kekekeke or you can always come back to JYP

 

I will take that into serious consideration

I have to go now

I’ll call you later

Love you!❤️

 

Love you too!❤️

 

Jaehee set her phone face down on her desk and sighed. She had barely started her new job a few months ago and already she’s insanely busy. She didn’t resign from JYPE because of any negative reasons, but because she wanted to explore her capabilities further. And as the saying goes, with great power comes great responsibility.

 

Her relationship with Younghyun has been nothing but strong for the past 4 years, but lately she’s been postponing or cancelling a lot of their dates and plans, to the extent that she worries Younghyun may get tired of her excuses sooner or later. Mia, her best friend and also Jae’s girlfriend, has reassured her multiple times that Younghyun is one of the sweetest guys on Earth and that he loves Jaehee more than anything else. Jaehee knows this, of course, but she still worries. It doesn’t help that Younghyun is also busy preparing for his solo album and set to enlist in the military in just a few month’s time.

 

----

 

Later in the evening, as Jaehee was going through the materials required for the meeting, someone knocked on her office door. It was her colleague with a bag of food.

 

“Your delivery is here.”

 

“Delivery? But I didn’t—“

 

Jaehee’s phone vibrated.

 

Chat: my eternal sunshine🌻

 

I ordered jjamppong for you, extra spicy!

 

 

The text put a smile on her face, “yeah it’s my order. Thanks for bringing it in!”

 

----

 

“Bri?” Jae looked surprised when he entered the room and found Younghyun there, “I thought you were supposed to be at Mikaela’s tonight.”

 

“I was. But she has to work late tonight.”

 

“Again? Dang, hasn’t she been like crazy busy ever since she started this job?”

 

Younghyun sighed, “yeah, she has. I’m worried about her, honestly.”

 

“Well, have you asked her how she’s doing? I mean, you guys tell each other everything, right?”

 

Younghyun nodded, “she said the stress level is way higher but she enjoys what she’s doing. I see the joy in her eyes when she talks about her job, and I know she can take care of herself. But I just can’t help but worry about her, you know?”

 

“I feel you, bro,” Jae said, “Mia says she feels like she hasn’t seen Mikaela for ages.”

 

Jaehee and Mia used to live together, but since the pair of best friends started seeing their respective partners, they decided it was more ideal to have their own places.

 

“Alright, I’m gonna go to the studio then.”

 

“Still much to do?”

 

“Yeah, quite.”

 

----

 

Younghyun was in the studio alone; the producer he works with had gone home for the day. He rarely works alone in the studio – there’s always his bandmates or the producers and composers they work with – but he didn’t mind the lack of company since it gave him more privacy to work on a special song he plans on proposing to include in his upcoming solo album.

 

He had the track on loop while he was revising the lyrics and didn’t hear the door open.

 

“Nice track.”

 

Jaehee’s voice in his ear almost had Younghyun jump out of his seat. He hurriedly hit the ‘stop’ button and fumbled to hide the lyrics sheet.

 

“Hey!” he gave a far too awkward laugh.

 

Jaehee narrowed her eyes with a cheeky smile, “was I not supposed to hear that?”

 

“Well, uh…” Younghyun cleared his throat, “technically, yes. Not even the guys have heard anything for this album yet.”

 

“Ooh, so secretive!” Jaehee teased, and continued, “don’t worry, I didn’t look at the lyrics.”

 

Younghyun mentally sighed in relief. Then he noticed she was still in her business attire.

 

“You came from work? How did you know I’m here?”

 

She nodded, “I asked Jae. I wanted to drop by your dorm for a while, but you didn’t answer my text. Now I know why.”

 

Younghyun’s phone was face-down on the desk behind him.

 

“Aww, come here,” he spread his arms wide and Jaehee happily stepped into his embrace, “it’s way too late, though. Let’s get you home.”

 

“Nooo let’s stay here for a while,” her attempt at dragging Younghyun to the couch with her arms still around his waist made him laugh.

 

“You have work tomorrow, my dear,” he reminded.

 

“So do you, but you’re still here at this hour. I’m sure you weren’t even planning to go home tonight.”

 

“You got me,” Younghyun chuckled, “but it’s a late afternoon schedule! You have a fixed schedule.”

 

Jaehee shook her head defiantly, “I wanna stay. I’m busy, you’re busy, we don’t see each other much lately.”

 

That much was true. While Jaehee was busy with her job, Younghyun, too, was busy with his album preparation and other work schedules on top of that.

 

“Okay, alright,” he gave in, “but only for an hour. And then we’re going home.”

 

She grinned and gave him a kiss on the cheek, “deal!”

 

----

 

“You’re coming back this Friday, right?”

 

“Mm-hmm. Can’t wait to be back in Seoul.”

 

“You mean, can’t wait to be back with Brian.”

 

Jaehee laughed; she could imagine Mia rolling her eyes.

 

“What, I can’t miss my boyfriend?”

 

“Not judging. Nope.”

 

“I miss you too! And I gotta go prepare for work.”

 

Mia sighed, “I will be the only person you meet this weekend. No boyfriends.”

 

“No boyfriends,” Jaehee confirmed.

 

She had been in Singapore for the past week for work and she meant it when she said she couldn’t wait to go back to Seoul.

 

Chat: my eternal sunshine🌻

 

Good morning,

Please log in to read the full chapter