Fin

Remember, Forever
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Wan-ah” Wendy hears the gentle voice trying to pull her up from deep slumber. It takes a lot of time before she finally accepts the invitation of getting up, opening her eyes and she’s met with the warmest pair she’s ever seen; she’s ever had. A pair that has taken her to different heights of life, ones that also pulled her out of the darkest pit. She returned the smile that had been graciously given to her the moment she woke up. “It’s time to get up. I already left you alone to sleep an hour more.” A kiss on her forehead and her arms immediately snaking on the warmth beside her.

 

Sundays have always been a time for families to gather up and spend time together and for this little family that she has, it is a rare coincidence that they have the luxury to do so. So over a few weeks ago, she made them promise that they spend their Sunday together once again; like usual, she added. So here they are scrambling around the apartment at three in the afternoon preparing to go out. It’s been so long since they were able to go out without someone missing. Wendy paused and stood in the middle of the living room, settling her eyes one by one on the four ladies going around as if she were burning every image of them in her memory, frame by frame. A smile slowly formed on her lips, I missed this.

 

A gentle tap on her shoulder followed by a side hug and a head resting on her shoulder successfully awoke her senses from reverie. She glanced at the person next to her, mirroring the same smile she’s carrying the first time she met her. *snaps* She saw Seulgi doing a test shot at them. “Why are you just standing here, Unnie?” An arm slowly found its way to hers. “Just realized I miss this version of us, so much.” A groan escaped from the youngest member, a usual reaction she gets from the latter.” Aah. Unnie! Greasy! Greasy! Greasy!” She chuckled, Yeri has always been like this but she’s also the most loving out of them all, her baby. She’s come so far. She kept her eyes on Yeri as she watched her walk outside to wait in the car instead. She felt immense pride as she recalls how much Yeri has grown from when they first met. She has always been her soft spot, always worrying about the youngest whom she might be struggling on coping with, and all the work they have deprived her of during her teen years but seeing her now, made her realize she’s been worrying about nothing.

 

She joined the frenzy in the apartment, gathering her own stuff. She picked up her film camera and instax from the bedside table in Irene’s room, “you’re taking your babies today? Something special?” she smiled sheepishly, “hmm yes? Isn't it special since it’s been a long while since we were able to do this?” The other just shook her head with a smile on her face, used to Wendy being this sentimental.

 

They made their way to their picnic site, Irene driving, Wendy in the passenger seat, and the rest in the back seat. The Han River has always been special for them. A sole witness of their tears, frustrations, achievements, joy, and everything that has happened in the past years. The river is their fortress, the water their calm, and the wind their comfort. And right now, it is yet to behold another memory for them. “Penny for your thoughts?” she heard the happiness calling her attention. She turned her gaze and smiled warmly, scooting closer as she rested her head on Joy’s shoulder. “We both know, it’s you who had something to say. It’s always you.” The younger one laughed, accepting the truth that’s been laid out for her. Joy has always been the one to reach out, or should she say she let her do the reaching out since she knows Joy loves independence. She’s always believed the younger is a strong independent woman but there are times when they find themselves in a scenario like today. “I got picked as the lead.” She almost shouted but resorted to a squeak. Really, it’s no surprise despite the drama being the biggest one for this year, she knew the younger one would get it. She saw it in Joy’s eyes; determination and passion. Yet, a few weeks back, both of them were in the exact same spot, Joy inconsolable, tears overflowing in fear that she did not do enough. “I told you, you did well. You’re you, my joy.” She noticed the younger woman wiping her eyes as a lone tear tried to escape. “Unnie…” a pair of arms now enveloping her, her shirt with a wet stain. “Do they know yet?” the arms loosen as they shifted their gaze back to the river. “Not yet. Of course, you’d be the first one to know.” A silent pause, a smile. “Thank you, Unnie. What will I do without you?” She faced the younger and tilted her head, “I told you Sooyoung, you’re stronger than you think. You will be just fine but where will I be if not with you guys?”

 

*snaps*

 

“Yah yah yah what are you guys doing over there? Come here.” The bear asked as she settled down her camera from her eyes down to her lap, waving her hand and gesturing for them to join the latter. “Wannie, help me out, let’s buy snacks at the convenience store.” The two got up and walked towards them, Seulgi meeting them halfway. Seulgi wrapped her arm around Wendy’s shoulder and they started heading for the store. They were halfway back to their spot when Wendy stopped and lifted her arm with the Polaroid, Seulgi registered what her best friend was trying to do so she took the Instax from her and angled for their selfie, knowing full well that it’ll be better for her to be the one carrying considering their height. She then proceeded to take Wendy’s pictures with her own film camera. “Who’s a better muse if not my best friend?” She chuckled, Seulgi was always there to make sure moments are captured, between both of them Wendy is the one who relishes and imprints memories through her eyes, well, the truth is she just forgets to take a shot because she gets consumed easily by beautiful things and that’s why she’s always been grateful for her best friend who never failed to do that for her without her asking. “At this point, Seul, I think you should just do an exhibit full of our pictures. You’ve always wanted to do that or the photobook thing.” *snaps* “Well, maybe soon. Or maybe I should just privately publish a photo book of my best friend.” Seulgi to which she shook her head. “Thank you, Seulbear.” Seulgi frowned and faced her best friend, “For?” she lifted her head and looked into her eyes, “For making memories with me, for making sure I get to look back on them through the photos you took… for being a part of me.” Seulgie flashed her bear smile and came for a hug. Arms wrapping around each other, a little too tight than most of their hugs. “Thank YOU for being part of me too, for letting me in your memories.” The two break from their hug and make their way back hand in hand with Seulgi taking random shots.

 

The picnic was nice, they went to the spots they visited on their first vlive re-enacting some scenes or games they did. Reliving all the memories the river has stored for them. This is peace, this is family. The time went by and they are now walking alongside the river as they make their way back to their car, a little long walk. The three walking in front of them, Irene and Wendy walked a few steps back. A hand slipped in, filling the gaps in her fingers as if it was homecoming. She returned the grip eagerly yet softly. “They were right” She replied with a questioning hum, eyes fixed ahead. “We’re the parents and I couldn’t imagine myself doing all the grunts without you, if it’s not you I share it with you. They always say I’m a great leader, but I am able to function the way I do because I know I have you, who I can come home to. You, that I can crumble on, that I can surrender on. Thank you, love.” A squeeze on her hand made her look at Irene. It’s a little funny ‘cause if it’s on her, it’s the other way around. She knows that Irene has always been her anchor all through this time but she’ll take it if it means that her life has lived its purpose by loving and taking care of the love of her life. “And they say I am the greasy one?” she playfully asked which earned her a slap on her arm. “I’m kidding. You know it’s the same for me. Thank you for keeping me anchored, love.” A quick kiss at the temple and a confession of love. “Yah, oldies! Mind if you catch up with us? You’re a little too far behind!” They heard the maknae shout and the three of them paused, waiting for them to catch up.

 

They soon rejoined the pack but Wendy fell behind, just five steps, then ten. Perfect. She took her instax and placed it before her eyes. She smiled. This is family. *snaps*

 

The night slipped away and the river held a memory bigger than everything it has held from the past. The air is gentler, the water calmer; oblivious to what the morning could bring.




 

“RED VELVET, to continue as a four-member group. Wendy’s disappearance is yet to be explained.”


 

Four mouths are in shock, the eldest fully awake from her slumber far from her sleepy state when Yeri barged into her room crying hysterically, “Wendy-unnie” She heard the youngest call out, she doesn’t understand, her eyes are still closed yet one reach from the supposed warmth on her bed was able to make her sit up. The phone in her hand, the letters on the screen seem like floating, making it impossible for her to register. She needs water. And so she got up, leaving the youngest behind, she can’t be the sane one now, it is all too confusing.

 

As soon as she reached the kitchen she opened the fridge, and took a water bottle. She downed one in one go. As she absent-mindedly wipes with the end of her sweatshirt. There's something foreign on the piles on the fridge’s door. Her mind paused, away from every thought that has been drowning her ever since she woke up. One was answered when she figured out what was wrong with the fridge’s door, there it is, a Polaroid she was sure was taken last night. On the white space below is written, “Red Velvet” with her signature smiley, my family. And just like that she knew, Red Velvet indeed became four.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter