This Isn't Our End

Event Horizon

"In seven days, we're going to witness a shooting star named Sarang passing our Earth. This amazing phenomenon only occurs every fifteen years so be sure to look at the sky wherever you are! Next, we start our advertisement break..."

 

 

Kyuhyun let the voice from a radio get drawn out in the background as he set up his telescope. As far as he recalled, he had always loved and chased stars even though he didn't know why. Every night, he sat in the backyard with his buddy telescope, looking up in fascination at the vast dark sky painted by twinkling stars. Tonight, too, he stargazed until the temperature dropped lower and had to hug himself to keep warm.

 

Suddenly, a bright star drew a white arch over the black canvas.

 

Kyuhyun watched the shooting star in awe. He didn't expect to suddenly see one! Although he wondered where this star came from because he didn't remember that there will be a shooting star tonight. Isn't it seven days before Sarang will pass the Earth? He looked at the bright star through the telescope and frowned when the star grew bigger and bigger... almost as if it was getting closer... Cursing, Kyuhyun looked up from the telescope and found out that the shooting star indeed was falling in his direction! Are you kidding me!? He might love stars but not to the point of dying from one! Kyuhyun tried to run away but it was too late. His eyes widened as blinding light bathed him and something fell on top of him. He stumbled on the damp grass with the shooting star(?) pressing on his body. Just as he was about to shout his last word, something soft and warm gently landed on his lips and kicked his heart into a frenzied state. After a while, his eyes adjusted to the bright light and he found out that the fallen star was actually a gorgeous man with flowing white hair framing his small oval face. The stranger who lay on top of him was dressed in white from head to toe. Even his eyes were in a color of whitish gray. Most importantly, he had a radiant white aura surrounding his body as if...

 

"...Who are you?"

"Hello, you can call me Yesung! Although mankind names me differently... Sarang, I think?"

"Sarang? As in, a shooting star in the sky? But aren't you supposed to pass here in seven days?"

"My physical body is still traveling in the space as we're speaking. I just want to sightsee the planet Earth before leaving~"

 

Yesung got up from his body and also pulled him up. The man who claimed to be a shooting star then held his hand and beamed so beautifully that Kyuhyun forgot how to breathe for a second.

 

"Hey, Kyuhyun, can you show me around? There are so many things I'd like to see and try here!"

"S-Sure, my pleasure, but how did you know my name?"

 

Yesung turned around. His white hair swayed against the soft breeze as he walked ahead while humming. Kyuhyun felt like he saw a smile on the corner of the shooting star's lips.

 

"Hmm, I wonder why, indeed~"

 

************************************************

 

"Kyuhyuuuuun, do I really have to wear this many layers? It's so hard to move around!"

"It can't be helped. We're going to see a movie but your bright aura will disturb other people in the dark theater. Just bear with it, alright? I promise it's worth the trouble."

 

Kyuhyun chuckled as he put on another scarf around the shooting star whose entire body was covered, leaving only a pair of gray eyes staring at him. Last night, he surprisingly adapted to the supernatural event and agreed to be Yesung's guide for the seven days that he will be on Earth. Because he saw Yesung looking at the tv in awe and kept touching it, so he decided to take the shooting star to see a large tv. They sat in the last row so Yesung's radiance wouldn't disturb anyone. As soon as the smaller man saw the large screen, Yesung excitedly pointed at it and chatted with him until the movie started. However, the bright star was so happy and hyper that he couldn't sit still, jumping and waving his arms according to the situation played on the screen. Kyuhyun had no choice but to hug and make Yesung sit on his lap. His heartbeat gradually increased as Yesung relaxed in his arms and watched the movie quietly. The soft white hair tickled his neck but Kyuhyun felt ticklish at his heart. Instead of the story on the large screen, he only focused on the star in his arms whose aura still glowed despite the thick clothes. The bright and warm light seemed to penetrate even the deepest corner of his soul...

 

 

Even after the movie ended, Kyuhyun refused to let the shooting star go and Yesung didn't protest either.

.

.

.

.

"Kyuhyun, what is this liquid called? It tastes bitter but also rich and mellow after a while. I like it!"

"This is a beverage named coffee. Do you want to try every variation of it?"

"Um!"

 

Kyuhyun called a waiter and placed more orders. Meanwhile, the shooting star was savoring the rich caffeine drink with his eyes closed. His aura seemed to glow a bit brighter as Yesung put down the cup and his lips. He smiled and wiped the happy star's mouth who also happily leaned into his touch. Today, he planned to take Yesung to as many cafes as he could. The shooting star was the one who learned about a place called Cafe on tv and asked him to take him there. At the first cafe they visited, Kyuhyun found out that he couldn't take a picture of Yesung or record any video. So, he committed his time to watch Yesung enjoying himself, hoping to engrave the sight on his heart forever. Alternatively, he also fed Yesung various bakeries and snacks until those chubby cheeks puffed up; though not as his heart that had fluffed up to the point of difficulty breathing...

 

 

Their cafe trip lasted until a clock stepped into a new day but neither of them complained about it.

.

.

.

.

"Noooo! My character died again! Kyuhyun, you're definitely cheating!"

"No, I didn't cheat. You need to get good, Yesung."

"Yah!!"

 

Kyuhyun laughed as he tried to avoid a barrage of small fists hitting him. Because they were still tired from the cafe trip yesterday, they decided to stay home for the third day and play games together. The shooting star was very curious about gaming at first but after he kept losing, Yesung whined and refused to play anymore, although he still wanted to see him play. Kyuhyun smiled and let the smaller man climb on his lap and settle down. After that, he played games while telling the story or game mechanic to the curious star on his lap. Yesung observed him play attentively and asked to try it himself. So, Kyuhyun started a new game, chose the easy difficulty, and taught the shooting star how to play the game. Soon, Yesung was engrossed in the game while he hugged the smaller man and occasionally gave pointers. The shooting star was having fun until he came across a side quest about the separation of lovers...

 

 

Kyuhyun suggested changing the game and Yesung agreed without saying anything.

.

.

.

.

"Here, Yesung, is the taste to your liking?"

"Mm, yes, I like it very much! What is it called?"

"Pasta."

 

Kyuhyun answered and wiped the sauce off the smaller man's lips. For the fourth day, he took the shooting star (dressed as a burrito as usual) to the supermarket and bought ingredients to cook at home. The shopping trip was a bit rough because Yesung kept adding unrelated stuff to the shopping cart, especially coffee beans and movie DVDs. In the end, he had to push the cart in one hand and held the smaller hand in his other hand to prevent the excited star from running off. He also had to promise Yesung that he would cook something else more delicious than coffee and the star finally behaved. Although the shooting star couldn't keep his curiosity to himself and dragged him to every shelf in the store, asking what each object was. They spent many hours shopping until lunch became dinner. While he was cooking, the pale-haired man clung to his back and watched him with great attention. When Yesung got to taste his craft, the shooting star shone brilliantly that he lost his vision for a while but it was worth seeing Yesung's beautiful smile. After the meal, Kyuhyun opened one of his rare wine collection and drank with the shooting star in the living room. Yesung nestled in his arm and he firmly held the glowing man.

 

 

Seeing the drunken Yesung look at him with a sweet smile and sparkling eyes made him drunk more than any alcohol ever did to him.

.

.

.

.

"Human history is really interesting. Although I've been existing for many millennia, there's so little I know about this planet Earth..."

"Millennia? Wow, I know you're old but not that old! You can easily be my great, great, great, great, great, great grandpa~"

"Hm, if you know that then you better treat me well!"

"Of course~ Grandpa Yesung~"

 

Kyuhyun teased the pouting shooting star while hugging him from behind, gently swaying their bodies to the left and right. Today, Yesung suddenly said that he wanted to learn more about human history so he took the bright star to the largest museum in Seoul. They came here in the morning and stayed until the closing time. With most visitors leaving, Yesung was able to take off the outer layers and let his aura shine naturally. Kyuhyun couldn't take his eyes off the shiny star and looked at the shorter man beside him more than the exhibition. His hand intertwined with the soft and small hand, leaving no gap between them as they leisurely wandered in the empty museum. When they arrived at the space section, Yesung stopped in front of a picture of a bright shooting star falling across the night sky. The picture had a label that read: "Sarang: Miracle Every 15 Years". Kyuhyun knew without asking what Yesung was thinking as he stared at the picture with a distant gaze. He hugged the shooting star and nuzzled against the thin shoulder, letting the blinding light penetrate his closed eyes. After a while, Yesung touched his arms and leaned back into his embrace.

 

 

For a moment, the shooting star didn't glow as brightly as he used to be.

.

.

.

.

"How does it feel to touch the wave?"

"Strange but I like it. The space is very cold... unbearable cold that left you lonely. However, the sea is refreshingly cool and doesn't overwhelm me."

"Obviously, it's because you have me so you no longer feel cold~"

"You're so full of yourself, Kyuhyun."

 

Yesung rolled his eyes but his lips were smiling genuinely. The shooting star hummed softly in a good mood while kicking the wave hitting his legs. Due to zero gravity in space, the water that Yesung knew was mostly a spherical shape. So, the bright star was very overjoyed when they came to the beach at midnight and saw a large body of water spreading as far as their eyes could see. Yesung eagerly ran into the water without care about getting wet and touched the clashing waves with fascinated looks. On the other hand, Kyuhyun didn't want to get his clothes dirty so he just watched from the shore. After all, stars are the most beautiful when looking from afar. However, the shooting star himself didn't seem to think so. When he kept refusing to join, Yesung pouted and let himself float freely in the sea. Seeing the white-haired man slowly floating far and far off the shore, Kyuhyun felt anxious and went into the water to get the star back. However, Yesung who had been waiting for this opportunity immediately pulled him to fall into the water together. He yelped and splash the water at the naughty star as revenge, starting a silly fight. By the time they were tired and stopped, the moon had already risen high in the sky. Both of them were soaking wet but they were grinning like a fool as they snuggled close, sharing warmth while the cool waves hit them.

 

 

While drying the shooting star's hair, Yesung kept looking at him and he also stared back at the charming man on his lap. Kyuhyun then realized that he was totally wrong. Stars are gorgeous when seeing up close too.

 

*****************************************

 

Before long, the day when a shooting star named "Sarang" would pass the Earth had arrived. During the day of their last day together, Kyuhyun didn't take Yesung anywhere. They stayed in bed all day, cuddling and basking in each other's warmth. They tactically avoided talking about the inevitable separation and talked about what they should do tomorrow or the day after tomorrow that wouldn't come. Kyuhyun wished that time would stop at this moment and, looking at Yesung's dejected looks, he knew that the shooting star also wished the same. Sadly, no one could stop time and time to bid farewell gradually ticked closer. Before Yesung's physical body arrived, Kyuhyun took the downcast star whose light dimmed down to a hill overlooking the town. Many people came here to see the shooting star. The excitement in the air didn't reach them, only a bittersweet feeling seemingly surrounding them. He led Yesung to a deserted area with no other people and coaxed the smaller man who kept looking down.

 

"Yesung, will you look up for me?"

"But if I look up... What if..."

"It's okay. Believe in me and look up, please?"

 

After coaxing the sad star, Kyuhyun managed to make the shorter man look up at the night sky. Yesung's eyes which had been clouded by sadness widened in an instance when he saw countless stars twinkling in the sea of darkness. A dimmed aura surrounding the shooting star also glowed brighter as a smile settled on his gorgeous face. Yesung squinted his eyes and looked at the stars above himself while smiling softly.

 

"I never knew before that stars are this beautiful when looking up from the Earth... They used to be just floating stones for me, dark and cold. But seeing them from here... So bright and warm..."

 

Yesung's widened smile turned in his direction. The blinding light around the smaller man's body seemed to shine brighter as the beautiful eyes curved into a crescent moon.

 

"Thank you, for showing me this beautiful scenery, for spending time with me in the past few days, and for teaching me many important things."

"Yesung..."

 

 

Don't go.

 

Stay with me.

 

 

Kyuhyun swallowed those two selfish wishes and smiled back just as warmly. He cradled the chubby cheeks and brushed his thumbs across the soft skin that glowed more dazzlingly at his touch.

 

"Yesung, you might think that Earth seems so far away when you see it from the space. However, that's not true at all because our hearts are close and here, right by ourselves. I'll always be by your side and you'll always be by my side."

"Kyuhyun... But you'll soon forget me..."

"No, I won't. I promise."

"It's not about what you want... I'm not supposed to exist here so all the memories of meeting me will disappear after tonight... Everything... What we do together..."

"Still, I'll never forget you. Will you believe me?"

 

After a short while, Yesung nodded while beaming. His gray eyes seemed more moist than usual.

 

"I will, Kyuhyun, I believe in you who always keep his promise."

 

Slowly closing their eyes, their faces leaned in to find each other's lips and made a wordless promise. They kept their lips pressed intimately like that until a cheering noise from a distance reached them. Kyuhyun still kissed the smaller man when he felt the bright light before his eyes slowly faded. He opened his eyes after the soft sensation at his lips disappeared and saw Yesung's body disintegrate into a million particles that descended higher to the sky. The last light particle lingered near his heart for many seconds before flying up to join the rest. Not long after that, he saw a giant shooting star falling across the dark sky, so bright that it almost lit up the quiet night. His heart pounded loudly in his chest as his feet took him off into a sprint. Kyuhyun ran after the shooting star named Sarang and looked up until his neck hurt. His cheeks felt damp and warm as he shouted at the top of his lungs.

 

"Yesung! Can you hear me!? I'll wait for you!! Always!! No matter how long! How many years!! I'll wait and never forget!"

 

Kyuhyun stopped to take a deep breath before shouting again, louder than the last time.

 

"YESUNG! I LOVE YOU!!"

 

He tripped on his own foot and rolled down the hill, losing consciousness as his head hit the ground.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Kyuhyun woke up in a hospital. Apparently, he fainted alone on the hill but the people who went to see the shooting star found him and called an ambulance. He was discharged after finding no aftereffects of the concussion. He went home with many questions in his head, confused and lost. What was he doing at the hill? To see the shooting star? But he had a telescope so he could see it from anywhere else. He had no reason to go there at all and he couldn't come up with one even after pondering for a long time. In the end, he decided to shrug it off. Worried about his condition, his parents told him to come live with them for a few days and he agreed. He had fun playing with his nephews and caught up with his older sister's life, but the mysterious emptiness in his heart still haunted him. He decided to stay in his old bedroom and checked a video recorder he brought with him instead. Luckily, it still worked despite his absence and perfectly captured Sarang passing through the sky...

 

Drip. Drip. Drip... 

 

Kyuhyun blinked in puzzlement when tears suddenly fell from his eyes onto the video screen. What happened? Why did he cry? What is this sadness in his chest? Why does his heart hurt so much when he looks at the shooting star? He tried to stop the tears but they only fell more until the ache in his chest almost became unbearable. Soon, his older sister found him crying and she quickly comforted him in panic.

 

"Kyuhyun-ah, what's wrong?"

"N-Noona, I don't know why... But my heart hurts so much w-when I look at this shooting star..."

"Sarang? Oh, are you sad again because you can't see it anymore?"

"Again?"

"Yes. Did you already forget? The last time Sarang passed the Earth, you were eight years old and you wouldn't stop crying the day after it left, saying that you wanted to meet Mister Star again."

 

With a clue from his sister, Kyuhyun searched his room crazily until he found a cardboard box where he kept his childhood diaries. He picked up the one he wrote when he was eight and flipped through it. Not long after that, he found an entry written seven days before the shooting star passed fifteen years ago...

.

.

.

Today, I met my princess.

Mister Shooting Star said he didn't have a name so I, as his future prince, gave him one!

"Yesung"

Because he has a very very good voice!

Yesung liked it very much.

His smile is really beautiful. 

Appa, Eomma, Noona, I think I'm in love! 

 

 

Yesung said love is too soon for me  :(

But he promised to marry me when I grew up! Wee!

I want my princess to meet my family but Yesung said not everyone can see him.

I asked him if it means that I'm special, right?

Yesung didn't say anything.

But he smiled.

I really like his smile!

 

 

I took Yesung home when everyone went outside.

We watched movies and play games together.

But I keep losing! Not cool at all!

I'll get better than him! For real!

But Yesung's smile is really beautiful...

I'm falling in love again...

 

 

Yesung turned me down the second time  T T

But he still promised to marry me! Hooray!

I really want to grow up fast.

I want to cook for him and take him to see many fun places! Cafe... Museum... Theater...

It'd be really fun if we go shopping together!

I'll work hard and become a billionaire so I can buy everything for my princess  <3

I tried to run away and took Yesung to the beach but Noona caught me first  :(

Yesung promised me that we can go together later when I grow up more.

Ah, Cho Kyuhyun, hurry up and become an adult!!

 

 

Yesung left today...

I cried (super not cool!) and asked him to stay.

But Yesung said he can't. Something about destiny and nature and something.

But Yesung also cried... He must want to stay with me too.

I kissed his cheek (hehehehehe) and promised that I'll find him again.

And when I'm a cool adult, I'll ask him to be my princess for real and Yesung can't turn me down this time!

Cho Kyuhyun, never forget!

Yesung!

My shooting star!

Saranghae! 

.

.

.

"Yesung..."

 

Kyuhyun dropped the diary and cried again. That's right. How could he forget about Yesung? The most beautiful and brightest star he had ever seen in his life. The one that he had left his heart and destiny with. Although he forgot about their past meeting, he still unintentionally fulfilled their promises and took Yesung to see many places and spent time together. Except for the marriage one... Kyuhyun grinned and wiped off the tears. After that, he tried to draw a picture of the shooting star from his vague memory and used it as his phone's wallpaper to never forget about Yesung again.

 

 

And he waited.

.

.

.

.

Finally, when Kyuhyun turned thirty-eight, Sarang came back to the Earth again and he took the initiative to find his heart first. When the a shooting star appeared in the night sky, he smiled and opened his arms wide, welcoming a white-haired man into his embrace. Yesung's smile was mixed with tears as the shooting star hugged him back. Kyuhyun gently wiped the tears from Yesung's cheeks before pressing his lips on the warm lips that he had been dreaming of. They kissed deeply and only let go when their hearts finally beat in sync. Kyuhyun was on the verge of tears when he put a platinum ring on the smaller man's left ring finger; a matching one of his own on his left ring finger.

 

"Yesung, my beloved star, I love you. Will you marry me?"

"Um! I love you too, Kyuhyun!"

 

 

 

My love, the long wait and distance between us doesn't discourage me; it only makes the time we are together more precious.

 

***************************************************

 

45 years later...

 

 

"You're here with me, Teukie-Teukie, Leeteuk-ie! Tonight at exactly one thirty-four o'clock, Sarang will come back after yet another fifteen years! As the time is drawing closer, have you already found a perfect spot to watch this amazing phenomenon?"

 

 

Kyuhyun in his early eighties carefully walked out into the backyard and put a radio on a chair. He looked up and smiled at the vast dark sky dotted by numerous stars. However, there was only one star that he is looking for— Sarang, his beloved Yesung. After getting married that night, they spent the most wonderful week as a newlywed and enjoyed every little second, even though Yesung had to leave again seven days later. Kyuhyun who had his heart settled on the shooting star waited patiently without questioning their relationship or looking at someone else. He willingly waited another fifteen years to spend a week with the love of his life without regret, because he knew that their hearts were always together. Tonight, too, Sarang will pass the Earth again and they will reunite. Although he had a feeling that tonight would be the last time he could wait for his lover.

 

"Kyuhyun! I miss you!"

"I miss you too, Yesung."

 

The shooting star who shone brighter than usual fell into his arms and hugged him happily. Kyuhyun also raised his old bones to hug his lover back. He might lack energy now due to the old age but his love for this star never decreased. If anything, it grew stronger and stronger with each passing heartbeat. Yesung stepped back and took his wrinkled and bony hands in his smooth and soft ones. As a star, Yesung's beauty was eternal unlike him. Despite that, Yesung still looked at him with love and adoration in those gray eyes all the same.

 

"Kyuhyun, you've always taken me to see many interesting places on Earth. Now, it's my time to be your guide and take you to see other fun places!"

"We can do that?"

"Why not? There's nothing that we can't do if we love each other!"

 

Yesung squeezed his hands and smiled affectionately.

 

"But this journey will be very long. Are you ready to come with me, Kyuhyun?"

"I'm ready since the moment I met you when I was eight. My heart always belongs to you, Yesung."

 

At his affirmation, the blinding light from Yesung's body gradually transferred to his body starting from their connected hands. Soon, Kyuhyun was bathed in the dazzling and warm light from head to toe and his appearance returned to his younger self when he purposed to his beloved star. Smiling happily at each other, they ran into the vast grassland while holding hands firmly. Their eyes locked on their lover and never averted from the most precious person before them. After that, their bodies turned into a hundred million bright particles and descended to the night sky together, leaving only a radio on the chair that still broadcast a live report of the event.

 

 

"Something unbelievable just happened! Apart from Sarang, there's another shooting star falling across the sky along with the former. It almost looks like they're falling together side by side. This never happened before! We'll contact the Space Administration and get their opinion soon! Oh, the call connected! Hello, how will you explain this phenomenon?"

"Hello, I'm Shindong, the Head of the Space Observation Program. This is truly incredible as this new shooting star isn't in our database, which means it's a newborn star that appears for the first time on Earth. As for where it comes from and why it suddenly shows up here, we'll research it first and publish our discovery as soon as possible."

"Then, what will we call this new shooting star accompanying Sarang?"

"For now, we've named it Yeong-Wonhi." 

"Sarang and Yeong-Wonhi... What a very beautiful name!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

That was the last time mankind had seen "Sarang" and "Yeong-Wonhi".

 

*****************************************

 

Author's note:

Did you cry? Getting teary a bit? Or is it just me?  xD

I have a soft spot for stories about destiny and miracle and soulmate. Isn't it romantic? 

I hope you like this faithful encounter between human Kyuhyun and his shining star Yesung~

 

Spoiler for the next week here!! Something fun and interesting is about to happen at Super Junior dorm  ;)