The Carrot

The Carrot
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Nine college girls live in a shared house together in a cozy home in South of Seoul.

 

Nayeon

It was a Saturday morning when Nayeon was the first one who woke up. Miraculously. Normally, it's Tzuyu who does that but Nayeon didn't sleep at all. She was too hyped after that girls night out with her high school friends, Jennie and Jisoo. It's been awhile since they did that. Now that they go to different schools for college, they thought it would be nice to hang out again. Nayeon was just stretching and doing the loudest yawn when her eyes landed on a piece of carrot on the table. She looked around but nobody was up yet except her. Who would have left a carrot on the table? She thought it could be Momo's since she's been forgetful lately. And then she remembers, she hasn't fed her little bunny yet. She decided to take the carrot and just thought she was just gonna tell the girls she took it. She's pretty sure, it wouldn't be a problem especially when she said her little Snowball ate it. She quickly ran in the backyard and went to Snowball's little bunny house.

She didn't buy Snowball. It's not even her who caught him. It was Jeongyeon. It was at Chaeyoung's family farm. They went there one weekend about six months ago. She remembers it too well. It was the day she broke up with Jeongyeon. It was a sunny, humid afternoon at the foothills of the mountain where Chaeyoung spent most of her childhood before moving to Seoul for high school. Nayeon was seated on the grass, overlooking the lake. She saw a little white bunny run towards her and stopped by her feet a little bit. She wanted to pet it but it got scared and ran to the bushes. She got so sad that tears started to collect at the corners of her eyes.

Jeongyeon saw her from a distance and decided to walk up to her. They haven't talked for almost a week since she saw her at the bar, getting too cozy with one of her so-called friend from the bakery shop she worked at in high school. Jeongyeon kept on explaining that the girl was just a friend but Nayeon was just too clouded with jealousy, she couldn't hear any valid reason at all. Nayeon cried and said Jeongyeon knows exactly where she's coming from. All her life, she never saw her dad become faithful to her mother. Jeongyeon knew before she decided to date her that Nayeon never trusted anybody with her heart. She knows all her trust issues and she said she will accept that because she loves her but now, it doesn't seem like it. Instead of fixing it, Jeongyeon decided to break up with her this time. It's too many times this happened. It looks like they're just going in circles. Their relationship will never go anywhere when they're stuck in a loop. One way or another, one must let go, so they stop hurting each other. Jeongyeon chose to do that.

Nayeon was distracted when the little bunny showed up again. She decided to lift her head up, meeting Jeongyeon's gaze. She nodded and agreed with what she wanted. But Nayeon told her, only if she catches the little bunny for her, it will be official. She wouldn't bother her anymore. She wants the bunny as a parting present. Though crying from the pain in her heart, Jeongyeon did what she wanted. She succeeded in catching the bunny. But she hesitated and thought twice if she would give it to Nayeon. If she gave it to her, it means the break up is official. After a year of dating, they're finally ending it. Nayeon looked at her and opened her palms, asking her to hand her the bunny. Jeongyeon gave her one last look and handed her the bunny. That's when Nayeon's tears started to fall once again. Jeongyeon had to run as fast as she could. As far away from Nayeon as she can. Only then she could grieve the memories of their happy and healthy relationship.

Nayeon smiled a bitter smile and named the bunny Snowball. One of her favorite characters in The Secret Life of Pets.

--

Jeongyeon

It's the morning of her first soccer training for the semester. Coach Park has been very strict when it comes to attendance and conditioning. She also decided to do her morning jog earlier from now on. She put her rubber shoes on. She was ready to go out for the run but her eyes spotted a carrot on the kitchen table. She wondered who might have forgotten that thing. She sighed to herself, thinking it might be Nayeon who has a pet bunny. It makes so much sense and lately, she's a little too forgetful. She even forgot to brush her hair when she was running late for the bus. Jeongyeon grabbed the carrot. She was about to take it inside the fridge when her phone buzzed for a call. It was coach Park. He was yelling at her again, saying how irresponsible she was as the captain for letting her teammates go out last night, knowing it's gonna be their first training today. Jeongyeon apologized. She didn't even have any idea what he was talking about. He said he'll be giving punishments later so she has to prepare herself. She ended the call and went to check their team group chat. That's where she saw pictures of three members of the team, partying and getting drunk. She was too exhausted last night, after playing Wii with Mina and Jihyo. She ended up sleeping at only 10pm. She didn't have any idea that her teammates went out without her permission nor the coach. It's in their rules that during training for soccer season, they're not allowed to go out. That includes the night before the actual training day. She didn't know how the coach found out but she didn't have a choice but to accept punishment now. He's right anyway, she's such a lousy captain. Jihyo should have been in her position if only the majority voted against Jeongyeon. Mina's in the team too. She doesn't really have any problem with those two since they live together, she can monitor their activities. Plus, they're not the type to attend parties and get drunk all night. They're game geeks. They prefer to spend their weekends in the dorm, playing their video games and goofing around with their crazy housemates. Looks like they didn't have any idea about what happened to their teammates as well. They haven't checked the group chat yet. Jeongyeon sighed at herself. She looked up and met eyes with Nayeon. Jeongyeon remembered the carrot in her hand. She wanted to ask Nayeon if it was hers but she chickened out and gave up. Both girls awkwardly looked away and went in different directions. Jeongyeon put the carrot back to the table and went her way out the door. As she jogged away, all she could see was Nayeon's sad eyes. How the hell did she end up hurting the most precious girl she has ever met? It wasn't her choice to do it. Circumstances lead them to that horrible break up. She remembered it was the most exhausting day of her life. She never cried so hard. Chaeyoung's grandma had to make her some herbal medicine for her bad headache. It was so bad, it made her cry like a baby. Nayeon used to be her best friend. The person who was there on her lowest point. She showed her enticing bunny smile whenever she was too tired after soccer practice. One smile and the exhaustion goes away immediately. She can't blame Nayeon for hating her now. It may not be her choice to let go but it was a decision she already made. They had such a great relationship. She was grateful it happened because she learned a lot from it. She just hopes that one day, they can be friends again and show her how much she values her even if things didn't work out so well between them as lovers.

--

Momo

Food! That's what immediately came to mind when Momo saw the carrot on the table. It was the afternoon after her classes. Nobody was around yet and she hasn't grabbed any food on the way. She took the carrot and checked for other ingredients inside the fridge to make herself some decent after-class snack. She received a notification from Dahyun on Instagram. It was a photo of tteokboki and fish cake at a stall near the university. Momo dropped her jaw. She scrolled and saw another post from Sana. Apparently, they're together on a little after school date. Momo lowered her head and took the phone away. Jealousy washed over her. It felt like some arrows were being plunged in her chest. What the hell is this? She thought she already decided to forget about her feelings for Dahyun? It's way too stupid anyway. Dahyun will never like her back. It's obvious, she likes Sana. The two never confirmed their special relationship but Momo could feel it. Sana and her are pretty close too so she knew when she was in love or happy with someone. And she definitely knows Sana likes Dahyun as more than a friend. Momo's still wondering why they never make it official.

Tears suddenly fell off her eyes as she chopped the onions. Stupid, stupid eyes. It's definitely not only because of the onions why water stream down her face. It's this ache inside that she never gets to heal no matter how hard she tries to. Whenever she sees them together, it gets harder to breathe. She smiled to herself, remembering the day she realized she just fell in love with Dahyun. It was one snowy winter day. She walked into the doughnut house to take home two boxes for the girls. It's the day before the winter break. Dahyun worked there part-time. Momo was just at the corner table, waiting for her order when a group of college kids walked in. It was Jackson and his friends. He's the one who used to bully her back in high school. They go to the same college department now too and he never stopped bothering her. Lately, he's been pulling pranks on her again. He walked up to her and asked how was her head after that last prank they did. Dahyun didn't hesitate to stand up for her and shooed them away. She called him stupid and immature. He never should have graduated high school if he didn't have plans of changing his disgusting childish games. The store manager told them to go away and banned them at the doughnut house. Momo has already seen Dahyun do this to her. But that day, it felt different. The way she held her in her arms and reassured her that everything's gonna be okay. Her close-eyed smile felt like a warm blanket on a freezing day. The way she caressed Momo made her feel like her heart's about to explode out of her ribcage. Dahyun is such a hero. She just wished she was the one holding her forever. But she woke up in reality and remembered she's never gonna be that. She's just a friend to Dahyun and it will remain that way. She doesn't want to destroy that by confessing her true feelings.

--

Sana

Oh, a carrot!

Sana ran to grab the vegetable, placed on the table. It was a Saturday. Most of the girls were out, meeting friends. Some went home to their families. Well, except her and she believes, Tzuyu who was in her room, on Facetime with her parents.

Sana wondered where the carrot came from. She looked into the fridge but there were no other carrots inside. She then decided to leave it at the vegetable cabinet. Tzuyu went out the room and asked what the hell she was doing, squatting in the fridge like a stripper. Sana realized her position might have looked a little scandalous especially with her shorts that were just a little bit longer than her underwear. She apologized and closed the fridge. She noticed Tzuyu's flushed face and chuckled. She asked how her family was doing. Tzuyu said they were doing fine. They just bought a penthouse at the twin tower in their city. Her mom really loves it. Sana smiled. She poured tea on a cup and gave it to Tzuyu. She took it but accidentally brushed her hand to Sana's that immediately sent shivers down her spine. It was so electric that Sana had to hide her blushing face. Their friends might be thinking she likes Dahyun since they're the closest to each other but in reality, she's been in love with Tzuyu since high school. They went to the same all-girls school. They met each other since Tzuyu moved in when she was 16. It was a prestigious school and everyone was expected to behave well. Tzuyu wasn't really the type. Her parents decided to move to Seoul after the number of troubles she caused. Sana was the first one to help her change that and bring out her full potential. It was because of Sana that she discovered she likes dancing. They attended summer dance class together and became really close. They hung out every single day. Sana was her only friend

Please log in to read the full chapter