Chapter 4 - Not Another Vomit

Washroom Wonders

Joohyun’s wish was granted. She didn’t have Seungwan appear in her dream — she didn’t even dream at all. She was eaten by her fatigue and slept terribly well that night. She could feel that her body was heavy and her nose was runny but she gained every energy that she had to go to the office. She could not let any sickness, especially the silly ones to her, made her unable to work.

 

After she arrived at her office room, she went to check her phone as notifications were starting to come. She scrolled her phone and looked toward one particular name, but once again no message from Seungwan. As much as she wanted to contact, she hasn't got any of Seungwan’s contacts as she was the only one giving hers.

 

She was pissed but at the same time worried. She decided to go to the toilet to take a morning dump.

 

She proceeded to take a quick one. When she wanted to wash her hands, she saw a familiar figure.

 

“Morning Joohyun,” said Seungwan with a different set of cream-colored blazers that she had never seen before, fresh from the showers, yet looked tired and sleepy, washing her face. She looked innocent and Joohyun lowkey hated it as Seungwan didn't message or call her.

 

“I was worried… Did you get back home safely?”

 

Seungwan scratched her hair, “To be frank. I didn’t return home.”

 

“Oh…”

 

“I returned to the office, stayed and refreshed myself here.”

 

“You could’ve let me know though.”

 

“Yeah, I know. Sorry to make you worry.”

 

“Not at all. But it’s always better to inform.”

 

“Yes, I agree. Kinda hard to break the habits.

 

“At least you’re here — meaning you traveled back safely.”

 

“I did yeah. How was your sleep?”

 

“I slept really well. Thanks to you.”

 

“Thank goodness… Although still, you looked quite pale today. Don’t force yourself.”

 

Joohyun just laughed it out lightly, “I should’ve wore a brighter red lipstick.”

 

“Probably,” Seungwan said in a serious tone. “I gotta go back now. I have an urgent meeting.”

 

“Sure. See you around.”

 

“See you later,” Seungwan walked to the door.

 

“Oh by the way, Seungwan.” Joohyun thought of something. Seungwan stopped her steps and turned around. Joohyun didn’t want to miss this opportunity. It was like she wanted to take every second she had on Earth for this. She then tried not to mumble her words and said, “Are you free this afternoon? Do you want to have lunch nearby? If you’re free.”

 

“I don’t see why not! Wanna try the new Italian restaurant downstairs near the bar?”

 

“I’m interested as well. See you around 12 then? Also, I haven’t got your contact yet.”

 

“Ah yes. Sorry I forgot to call you,” Seungwan made a missed call to Joohyun so the latter could save her contact. “See you later, Joohyun.”

 

They bid each other goodbye. Joohyun returned to the sink to reapply her lipstick and check her makeup. Seungwan was right. As much as she wanted to lighten her face, the paleness was evident. She heard someone unlock the cubicle door. She took a slight peek and was surprised.

 

“Morning unnie~” Sooyoung grinned. She went to wash her hands.

 

“Since when you were in the toilet?”

 

Sooyoung looked below the cubicles to see whether there were other people. After she made sure the toilet was only occupied by them, she continued to speak. “Long enough to hear your full conversation with Seungwan.”

 

“Quite long then,” Joohyun responded.

 

“So… nothing happened?”

 

“What do you mean by that?” asked Joohyun mockingly.

 

Sooyoung laughed, “I don’t want to ruin your lunch date but—“

 

“It’s just a freakin’ lunch, Park Sooyoung! I just wanted to thank her for helping me yesterday.”

“Whatever. But our brainstorming session for the shoot location started around 11 AM so you might wanna give a heads-up to Seungwan.”

 

Joohyun facepalmed, “… You’re right.”

 

“Are you fine though? You look really tired. Did you get some sleep?”

 

“I did. Don’t worry.”

 

“You sure?”

 

“100% sure.”

 

“Please don’t force yourself unnie!”

 

Joohyun just laughed it off. As she walked back to the office with Sooyoung, she texted Seungwan that she wouldn’t be able to meet at the initial time. Seungwan replied, No worries. Just let me know when. I’m kinda free today after this meeting. Joohyun felt relieved to see the reply and set her focus back 100% to work.

 

First agenda of that day was to accompany Taeyeon to present an online pitch to a client from Busan. Afterwards, she, Taeyeon and the main creative team, Sooyoung, Seulgi, and Yeri started the brainstorming session for the video shoots at the meeting room. The one that was still unsolved by Joohyun and Sooyoung the day before.

 

“I agree with Sooyoung. We gotta have a very cost-efficient shooting for this. We can’t afford to shoot outdoors,” Taeyeon said.

 

“But unnie…” Joohyun argued. “Having an authentic natural feel will last long term. The fans will love it and even the band will like the creative process as well.”

 

“Do you have any data for it? I know the sentiments of having everything authentic. But for this, we gotta be both creative and economical. Especially in this era where even non-budget videos could make a break.”

 

Taeyeon unnie actually got a very valid point, thought Joohyun to herself. Taeyeon, while being an active singer, rarely shot any video promo or MV outside of the studio box. And her viewers never dropped drastically. That even made Taeyeon's point more understandable.

 

“What about shooting outdoors for the teasers and the MV inside the studios? At least we need to tease the fans with something that is natural…”

 

“And why is that?”

 

Joohyun couldn’t answer directly. She just disliked the simplicity of shooting inside the studios. Everything felt artificial to her. “I have my personal reasons. But frankly, I need to think more if possible.”

 

Taeyeon looked straight at Joohyun and tapped her fingers on the table. She let out a sigh and said, “I appreciate that but we don’t have much time. Just let me know your reasons before 8 PM tonight. So we can finalize everything tomorrow.”

 

, an additional work for today. “Sure. Thanks unnie.”

 

“Sorry to jump in…” said Yerim. “I don’t know whether this would count but I’m a fan of the group. And as quite a fan, I would totally appreciate it if they could take their shot by shooting some of their materials outdoors with real nature. Especially knowing that rain plays a big role with this concept. I knew that a lot of my fellow fans dislike anything that’s shot in studios. No special reasons. Just something personal but delicate to us. I believe the group would appreciate it as well if they could shoot outdoors with authentic natural vibes.”

 

Taeyeon reflected to Yerim’s opinion. “That’s actually a good insight, Yerim. Thank you. Very well then, now it’s reaching 1PM I guess we need to refuel our energy first with having lunch. Thank you everyone for the session. Let’s meet again tomorrow for the final session. You may leave now.”

 

Taeyeon went out first as she had booked a lunch appointment outside. Joohyun quickly texted Seungwan that she could join the lunch. After she finished texting, Sooyoung approached her and whispered, “You can meet Seungwan then.”

 

“Shut up.”

 

Sooyoung giggled and said, “But just so you know, I’m going to the same restaurant as well. Seulgi and Yerim are curious about the new resto.”

 

“Oh…”

 

“But no worries. I’m going to make sure that your date won’t be bothered.”

 

Joohyun hit Sooyoung lightly, “It’s not a date for God’s sake.”

 

Joohyun’s phone vibrated, it was Seungwan. She replied, I’m on my way and already booked for us. She bid goodbye to Sooyoung and went to the elevator to go downstairs.

 

In front of the elevator door, she met Taeyeon who was still waiting for the elevator to go down.

 

“You’re going down as well, Joohyun?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Are you okay?”

 

“About the shooting concept? I’m okay but I just think that outdoor concepts would—-”

 

“Not about that,” said Taeyeon abruptly. “I mean, you. You look pale.”

 

Joohyun was surprised. Was that really evident? “Really? Almost everyone said that to me.”

 

The elevator arrived and the two entered it. Taeyeon then replied with a lower volume as the elevator was packed, “Because it's true. You should eat and rest well. It’s a slow week, you should take advantage of that.”

 

Joohyun just nodded. She was partly amazed at how last night’s event affected her. It was definitely not the first time she had hungover. Yes, it was rare but it shouldn't have been that bad. She needed to rest for sure but she was curious as to the reason why.

 

Was it because of the food she ate? Was it because of the drink? Was it because of… Of course Son Seungwan couldn’t be the reason why. She was indeed nice, charming, got a lovely perfume, fun to talk with despite not spending a lot of time, she was also able to form a smile that kept Joohyun wanting for more, but she was definitely not the reason for all the mess Joohyun had.

 

She even thought it was silly for someone to be sick because of someone’s presence, especially a new acquaintance. After all she couldn’t think much and after parting with Taeyeon, she looked for an empty space and breathed in and out repeatedly to control her mind.

 

 


 

The new restaurant was packed. It was especially still lunchtime as well. The restaurant was quite big, but the smells of baked pizza could fill the entire room. Joohyun went inside and looked for Seungwan. Seungwan saw Joohyun first and called her to go to the table.

 

Seungwan was seated at a four-seater table. She sat on the sofa side and the other two seats were in the form of chairs. Joohyun got confused on which side to take. If she sat on the chair, she could see Seungwan’s face directly but with a “safe proximity”. However, if she sat on the sofa she might “only'' see Seungwan’s side profile but she could be much closer to Seungwan. As it was their first time eating out together, Joohyun decided to sit on the chair to have a safe distance.

 

“So all’s good? I thought you were gonna finish much later.”

 

“I thought so too,” Joohyun said as she looked at the menu. “Have you ordered?”

 

“Not yet but I have chosen,” responded Seungwan.

 

“What do you wanna order?”

 

“Just a simple Spaghetti Aglio Olio with Iced Americano.”

 

“Ah… I’ll then order Tuna Fusilli with Infused Water.”

 

“Don’t you want a hot tea or any hot drink?”

 

“Pardon me?”

 

“I mean it’s good to freshen up. I think you’ll get better with warm tea.”

 

“Oh… I’m fine Seungwan, don’t worry. But it’s not a bad idea. I’ll have Chamomile.”

 

“Good choice!” Seungwan signaled the waiter as they were ready to order. The waiter came and took their orders.

 

As the waiter went away, Joohyun asked, “Do you usually like Italian food or you’re just interested in the new restaurant?”

 

“Good question. I was there for a student exchange for six months so their food would remind me of any memories that I have there.”

 

“Italy is that special to you, huh?” Joohyun smiled.

 

“Well… that country has a special place in my heart,” Seungwan said with a hint of sadness in her eyes.

 

As the conversation goes a bit personal, Joohyun decided to divert it, “Speaking of food… Is the waiting time gonna be long as the restaurant’s kinda crowded?”

 

“I’m not sure actually,” responded Seungwan as her eyes seemed like they were looking at someone intently and shouted, “Kang Seulgi!”

 

“Oh my god! Seungwannie!” Seungwan excused herself to meet Seulgi, Joohyun didn’t want to turn around. Seungwannie? How the heck do the two know each other?

 

Both Seungwan and Seulgi, who was accompanied by Sooyoung and Yerim, walked toward each other and hugged.

 

“What are you doing here?” Seungwan asked.

 

“Do’oh I’m having my lunch here! What are you doing here, aren’t you working in the South?”

 

“Nah, I’m working upstairs now. Been three months since my office moved here.”

 

“Really? Same with me then!”

 

“For real? Where?”

 

“In a studio-slash-production house.”

 

“Ah… That’s good news! That suits your residency program then.”

 

“It does indeed! I’m so lucky to be able to work around here again!”

 

“Congrats Seulgi! What’s the name of the studio?”

 

“Thanks Seungwan, it’s KimTae.”

 

“Geez…” Seungwan laughed. “My firm is exactly in front of your office.”

 

“Don’t tell me your firm is SON LAW?”

 

Seungwan giggled, “What if yes?”

 

“GOOD GOD!” Seulgi looked surprised. “After all this time we work on the same floor?”

 

“And we just met each other here! Never upstairs,” Seungwan laughed even more.

 

“What a coincidence indeed! I thought you were still working in the CBD with that ty law firm.”

 

“Nah… I decided to stop and run on my own.”

 

“SON LAW is yours? Wannie! We gotta catch up on a lot of things. No more sending memes without any life update! I didn’t know you’re being even grander than ever!”

 

“You silly. But thank you Seulgi, especially coming from you.” Seungwan smiled and half-bowed.

 

“Speaking of KimTae, I guess the two ladies with you are your co-workers, no? I’ve met Sooyoung before.”

 

Seungwan and Sooyoung looked at each other and waved hi.

 

Seulgi looked surprised,“You two already know each other? Gosh! How?”

 

“Kind of a long story… Right Sooyoung?” Seungwan gave Sooyoung a wink.

 

Sooyoung laughed, “It is indeed quite long.”

 

“What? You sure do have a lot of things to tell me, Wan! Oh I haven’t introduced Yerim,” Seulgi cut off the conversation. “Seungwan this is Yerim, Yerim this is Seungwan.” Both of them introduced themselves.

 

“Anyway, have guys got a table?” Seungwan asked. “If not, you can definitely join us. I guess we can move the table and chair a bit.”

 

“Oh you’re with someone, Seungwan?”

 

“I am yes, someone y’all know very well.” Seungwan laughed. Joohyun heard the whole conversation earlier and blamed the coincidental meeting. She was aware that her coworkers were eating at the same place but she definitely didn’t expect that Seulgi and Seungwan knew each other that well. She decided to turn and wave her hand.

 

Seulgi looked even more surprised when she saw Seungwan’s lunch mate and asked, “You’re having dinner with Joohyun unnie?”

 

“Yeah, let’s join us.” Seungwan said.

 

As they reached the table, Joohyun and Sooyoung exchanged glances. With Joohyun’s eyes saying something like you said you won’t bother my lunch appointment to which Sooyoung's eyes responded with a repressed laugh.

 

Seungwan tried to rearrange the seats, first with having the smallest figures in the sofa but that arrangement wasn’t comfortable enough. Then she tried to fit the additional chair on the table side but it blocked the way. “Ladies, I’m sorry but it seems we can’t eat together now. It’s hard to adjust the seats. Or maybe I can ask the waiter for another tab—“

 

“No worries Seungwan, that’s fine. We can look for another table.” Sooyoung interrupted and she looked around to search for any empty tables, “There I found it. Let’s go now before someone takes it. See you unnie and Seungwan!” She waved goodbye to them, locked hands and brought Yerim, leaving Seulgi.

 

“We’ll talk later, okay?” Seulgi said.

 

“Yes. Text me please.”

 

“Ah… Ofc I will text you first unless you haven’t changed your number you forgetful .” Seulgi laughed. “Let’s meet later!”

 

Both Seungwan and Seulgi high-fived and Seulgi left to join Sooyoung and Yerim.

 

 


 

“So… How did you know Seungwan?” Seulgi asked while eating her Spaghetti Carbonara.

 

“I have the same question as you,” responded Sooyoung.

 

“I asked first.”

 

“Well…” Sooyoung put her fork aside and wiped her lips with the napkin. “I met her in the bar. I was with Joohyun unnie and she introduced me to her. And I watched the Asia’s Rising Star Lawyer reality show so I know her existence for the first time there.”

 

“Ah of course, you and your shows. How did unnie know her though?”

 

Sooyoung gave her a side eye, “I’m not really sure, just ask her.”

 

“Why would I ask something personal like that to her?” Seulgi shook her head. After all, she just knew Joohyun for the past two months after she worked in KimTae and they almost never had any personal conversation.

 

“You can ask Seungwan no? You two look like old friends.”

 

“We are indeed. We went to the same secondary school. We were very close back then.”

 

“Were?”

 

“Well I still regard her as one of my best friends. But just as college started… She was freakin’ busy with her mooting and research competitions, also she played the orchestra, even once joined the tennis club, but still managed to graduate as Top 5. Although afterwards until now we still meet and send chats occasionally despite her busy schedule. Can’t believe it’s been awhile since I last met her though.”

 

“Amazing. She’s an ambitious type I can guess,” Yerim said.

 

“She is indeed. But ambition also has its price. I think she doesn’t have many close friends at the moment as her schedule is kinda packed.”

 

“Or maybe that’s just how adulthood hits us,” stated Sooyoung.

 

“Well… You’re not entirely wrong. But seeing her having lunch with unnie kinda surprises me. Or maybe is it about work? Or perhaps were they college friends or something? She never told me about unnie before.”

 

“Frankly I don’t know either,” Sooyoung might sense that the two have something else but she wasn’t sure. So she was genuinely being honest. “But I can say, Joohyun unnie didn’t go to the same college as her.”

 


 

“Are you friends with Seulgi?” Joohyun asked, munching her food.

 

“Yeah. I can say she’s one of my best friends.

 

“Really?”

 

“I don’t have a lot of friends,” Seungwan smiled. “And I will always prioritize meeting Seulgi if I really have the time to hang out. I think it’s been months since I last met her. But now that I found out we’re literally working in close proximity, I believe it’s gonna be easy to simply meet her, don’t you think?”

 

“True.” Joohyun agreed but she hated the thought that Seungwan had other personal priorities although she and Seulgi were just good friends. “So you’re not the type to update your life via chat even to your close friend?”

 

“Not like that. It’s just when I talk with Seulgi or some of my closest ones, we’d rather not talk about work.”

 

“I see,” Joohyun agreed as she rarely told anyone about the stresses of her work.

 

“Just don’t want to bug her with work dumps.” Seungwan smiled. “Let’s not talk about work then. Do you like having holidays?”

 

“Who doesn’t? Though it’s been awhile since I got a proper holiday. The last time was before the pandemic and I never traveled beyond Asia.”

 

“What’s your favorite city or country?”

 

“Um…” Joohyun shyly laughed, she didn’t know why. She never knew herself why she could get shy after a simple question.

 

“What?” Seungwan smiled but looked confused.

 

“Nothing really. I love Bali.”

 

“Oh… Tropical beach girl.”

 

Joohyun smiled, “You might say so.”

 

“I find Bali fun as well.”

 

“You do?”

 

“Yeah - the weather is always nice there. If only I had the time to escape this hellish winter, it’s either Bali or Capri.”

 

“Agreed though I have never been to Capri,” Joohyun smiled and finished her last bite. “Sorry, but I need to take the toilet.”

 

“Go ahead.”

 

Actually, Joohyun didn’t really go to the toilet. She went to pay for the meals and looked for cakes and candles. She didn’t know whether Seungwan liked chocolate or not but she thought it was a safe choice. It was not because she wanted to repay Seungwan’s help last night, she just felt like celebrating Seungwan’s birthday properly. She then returned to her table, with the candles being lit on top of the cake. As she was reaching Seungwan, she walked and slowly sang the happy birthday song.

 

“Happy birthday, Seungwan.

 

Seungwan looked genuinely surprised with a hint of joy. Her lips formed a gentle smile that radiates happiness. Joohyun continued singing.

 

Happy birthday, Seungwan.

 

Seungwan looked at Joohyun in the eyes, with a tender pair of eyes that made Joohyun forget any responsibilities and obligations in her life although only for a flash.

 

Happy birthday, Son Seungwan.

 

Happy birthday to you.”

 

Joohyun finished singing and said, “Let’s make a wish.” Seungwan gestured as if wishing for something and blew the candle.

 

“Happy birthday, Seungwan,” said Joohyun once again.

“Thanks Joohyun. You’re so sweet.”

“It’s the least I can do after messing with your party.”

“Don’t say that, please. You make me really happy now.”

 

Joohyun couldn’t hide her smile and proceeded to slice the cake and gave it to Seungwan. “I don’t know if you like chocolate or not, but I hope you do.”

 

“Oh you don’t know how much I love Nutella!” Seungwan took the knife and cut the cake to give it to Joohyun. “Let’s eat together.”

 

They both loved the cake. The combination of dark chocolate and the sweetness of sugar blended harmoniously and entertained their taste buds. How Seungwan looked excited after each bite made Joohyun wonder how the gentlewoman in front of her was actually a Managing Partner of an emerging law firm. No wonder some clients mistook her as associates, Joohyun thought and laughed to herself.

 

“Should we share with Seulgi, Sooyoung, and Yerim as well?” Joohyun asked.

 

“Good idea!”

 

“Should we go to their table or should we just ask them to come here?”

 

“I think we can go to them.”

 

They proceeded to go to the table of the trio and gave the cake.

 

“Happy birthday Seungwan unnie! Thank you for the cake,” said Yerim.

 

“Happy birthday Seungwan! Yeah, thank you for the cake!!!” Seulgi responded as well.


“No worries at all,” Seungwan smiled. “But the one you should thank is Joohyun, she was the one who bought this.”

 

“Oh, really?” Seulgi sounded surprised and nodded at Seungwan with a mocking face.

 

“What do you mean by that?” Seungwan hit her best friend lightly.

 

“Nothing, just can’t wait to eat the cake.” Seulgi took a bite. “This is freakin’ good! Thank you Joohyun unnie and Seungwan.”

 

Both Sooyoung and Yerim agreed in unison as they took the bite. Seungwan’s phone rang and she excused herself to have a more proper spot to receive the call. Joohyun then joined the trio table. The atmosphere became somewhat awkward as Seulgi and Yerim rarely found themselves in casual situations together with Joohyun. Also not long after Seungwan left, she just realized that her body became heavier and she felt dizzy. Funny how spending a bit of time could make her forget her condition.

 

“Really unnie, you got a taste,” Sooyoung broke the silence. “The cake is good. We could actually give this to clients.”

 

“Yes. I’m surprised as well,” Joohyun replied.

 

“So… Joohyun unnie. How did you meet Seungwan?” Seulgi asked. “Sorry if I sounded nosy but I’m surprised that my friend knows my workmate.”

 

Joohyun laughed, “I just met her recently and she helped me with some things. Turns out she had her birthday yesterday and I just wanted to thank her. That’s all.”

 

“I see," Seulgi responded. She had other questions as Joohyun's answer sounded very simple but she decided to shut up for now.

 

“Anyway unnie, how’s your new proposition for the shooting session?” Yerim asked. “If you need my help, I’m more than ready.”

 

Joohyun hadn’t even thought once about it. But she played it cool, “All fine for now. I will propose it to Taeyeon unnie much earlier than expected. Thanks for asking, Yerim.”

 

“Anytime, unnie.” Yerim responded. Joohyun wanted to reply, felt a bit hoarse, she coughed for a bit.

 

“Are you sick, unnie?” Seulgi asked.

 

“I’m fine.” This time Joohyun felt like telling a lie as she wasn’t really fine. “It’s just the weather got a bit cold recently.”

 

Seungwan was finally back, “Sorry took you long everyone. I gotta be back to the office. Turns out the day wasn’t as loose as I expected.”

 

“I need to go back as well to polish my proposition,” Joohyun said.

 

“Let’s go back together then."

 

Joohyun said to her co-workers, “See you upstairs then, enjoy your meal!”

 

All of them bid goodbye. As they were walking, Seungwan asked Joohyun, “Did you pay for our meals as well? I asked and the waitress said it’s been paid.”

 

“I did, yes.”

 

“Please, you already bought me that delicious cake,” Seungwan smiled. “Thank you so much really. You’re too kind.”

 

“No worries Seungwan. It’s your birthday week after all.”

 

“Thank you once again,” Seungwan put her hand on Joohyun’s shoulder and patted it. “I guess, I’ll see you later?”

 

There, she said it. Again. That see you later has become some kind of mantra to Joohyun. Simple words that give a little spark of excitement for Joohyun to continue the day. Although at the same time, she wondered why she could feel this way to a “mere acquaintance”. Maybe, because she was really sick. As much as she wanted to ask and talk about a lot of things with Seungwan all that she could say was, “See you, Seungwan.”

 

As she went inside the office, she texted Sooyoung to come to her room.

 

“So… Do you want to talk about the shoots?” Sooyoung entered the room and sat on the chair.

 

“No,” Joohyun responded, standing as she looked toward the city through the glass window.

 

“What then?”

 

“Personal questions, if you don’t mind.”

 

“Well… If my boss asked me then what can I do?” Sooyoung shrugged her shoulders.

 

Joohyun rolled her eyes, “Sooyoung. You know I trust you.”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Could you kindly not judge whatever I’m gonna say?”

 

“Just shoot… Except if you’re taking some drugs.”

 

“in' hell. Of course no. I’m serious.”

 

“Okay, then what?”

 

Joohyun took some time to regain her composure, “I don’t know where to start…”

 

“Take your time really. Whatever it is, my ears are ready and I’ll try to keep my mouth shut except you ask.”

 

“I know I can count on you.”

 

“Well… I don’t really have all the time in the world and it’s still Wednesday.”

 

Joohyun chuckled, “Okay okay. So… Is it weird to feel happy being with someone?”

 

“Go on.”

 

“Even if we haven’t talked much, even if we haven’t known each other that long? Is it a bad thing?”

 

“Do you want me to respond or do you wanna still talk?”

 

“Please respond.”

 

Joohyun got seated in front of Sooyoung and the latter adjusted her seat position, “Okay. Haven’t you felt something similar like this before?”

 

“Um…” Joohyun tried to recall her past memories. Of course, she had some interests with other people. Like how she wanted to be friends with her classmate back at elementary school and wanting to spend all the time with her. Second, how she joined her college women’s softball team as she wanted to meet and know one of her seniors well. But she wasn’t really confused as they were just a normal thing to feel for her. She just wanted to meet new people. “Sure. I probably just want to be friends with her.”

 

Sooyoung shook her head and laughed mockingly, “Okay. And? Did you feel the same toward me?”

 

“What? No geez. Of course not. You’re my friend…” Joohyun sighed at what she said. She didn’t know what to say. It was blurry to her. Was it actually a simple crush—like a fan to her idol? Was it just a simple adoration? She didn’t know the answer yet.

 

Her phone suddenly rang. Seungwan was calling her, Joohyun picked it up and walked toward the window.

 

“Hello Seungwan.” Sooyoung gestured to walk out from the room but Joohyun asked her to stay.

 

“Hi Joohyun, I hope I didn’t disturb you.”

 

“Not at all.”

 

“I just wanted to thank you once again for the treats earlier today. How are you feeling now? Better?”

 

“It’s nothing, really. I think earlier I just needed to eat.”

 

“Well you definitely got better after eating that Tuna Fusilli and sipping that Chamomile,” Seungwan laughed. “I’d like to ask whether you’re free tonight.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“For karaoke.”

 

“Really?” Joohyun couldn’t contain her laugh. “Where?”

 

“I know a place nearby. Twenty minutes by walk, I checked the weather app and tonight isn’t supposed to be cold.”

 

“Um…”

 

“Sorry if it’s quite weird. But I guess karaoke would be a great way to relax. And maybe we could have a quick dinner afterwards. Not gonna take long as I still have some meetings in the late evenings and I think you need an early sleep. What do you think?”

 

“Well…" Joohyun said. "Could I make sure of my schedule first?”

 

“Sure. Go ahead and let me know. But don’t force yourself if you’re still feeling unwell.”

 

 

“Okay, I will.” Joohyun responded. “But FYI, I’m all well and fine.”

 

 

“Geez… Please don’t force yourself. Talk to you later then.”

 

 

“Later, Seungwan.” Joohyun closed her eyes. Her heart was pounding faster than usual. She then returned to her chair.

 

“So…?” Sooyoung asked.

 

“Seungwan invited me to join her for karaoke and a quick dinner.”

 

“Don’t you have to meet Taeyeon unnie by 8 PM?”

 

“… You’re right,” Joohyun rubbed her forehead.

 

“Unnie, I think you need a break," Seoyoung sighed. "You’ve been unfocused recently… It’s not like you. You look dizzy as well.”

 

“To be honest, I really don’t know what to do.”

 

“Do you want me to leave you alone and maybe take a nap?”

 

“I think I’m going to talk to Taeyeon unnie about the shoots.”

 

 


 

Joohyun couldn’t think straight. In fact, Joohyun couldn’t think of anything. She knew she shouldn’t be like this. She was happy, but she felt dizzy at the same time. Despite all that, she had ensured herself and went on to knock on Taeyeon’s room and open the door slowly.

 

“Joohyun?” Taeyeon asked.

 

Joohyun entered the room and sat on the chair. “Unnie… I’ve made up my mind about the shooting.”

 

“You looked even paler now. You should go home.”

 

“No, I'm okay.” Joohyun said. “I agreed with your suggestion. Yes, we should prioritize budgeting.”

 

“Oh. That’s all?”

 

“Yes. So we can proceed with the final session tomorrow.”

 

“Whoa… Okay,” Taeyeon looked a bit skeptical. That’s it?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“It’s not like you. I mean we rarely agree on things this quickly.”

 

Joohyun nodded slowly. Her eyes were heavy. She felt sick, this time for real.

 

Taeyeon continued, “And you look not fine at all. Are you okay?”

 

“Sorry but I need to go to the toilet.”

 

After closing Taeyeon’s room door, she went to the toilet quickly. Half-run. When she opened the office door, Seungwan was in front of SON LAW’s receptionist table. They exchanged glances but Joohyun couldn’t bear the fluid that had passed and went through the corridor to reach any open cubicle. Thankfully, the first one was open, she locked the door, and unleashed everything that had been holding on . She felt helpless. She didn’t want this. She didn’t want to have this feeling. Was it due to last night’s drink? Was it the Italian food? She wasn’t sure.

 

After she released the second batch of her vomit. She flushed everything and leaned on the cubicle wall. As much as she tried choking back the tears and nausea, a single helpless salty tear dribbled down her cheek as she cursed her current state of mind and body. That single tear was followed by a silent but torrential flow drop of tears.

 

“Joohyun. Are you okay?”

 

Hearing the voice, the one who had become both her savior and devil to her mind. The existence of Son Seungwan could be the reason why. Joohyun tried to stop the tears and could only reply with a weak voice, “I’m… fine.”

 

“You’re definitely not fine. Let me know if you need any help. Don’t worry, no one’s here.”

 

Joohyun cleaned everything and decided to exit the cubicle. When she opened the door, she saw a very worried Seungwan. She was aware that Seungwan was looking at her very lowest. She decided to walk to the wash basin to wash her face and mouth. After that she picked some tissues to clean her face but she could not resist the tears. She cried once again silently, holding the tissues on her eyes, but it’s very evident to Seungwan.

 

Seungwan decided to hug Joohyun without asking for any words. And Joohyun, without saying anything, let herself wrapped around Seungwan.

 

“I’ve locked the toilet and put up the cleaning sign. Take all the time you need to cry. Let it out.” Seungwan said as she patted the back of Joohyun’s head.

 

“I’m sorry I’m ruining your clothes… Again.”

 

“Don’t be silly, I’ve got tons of backup in my room.”

 

Joohyun smiled hearing the response and deepen the hug. Normally, she would ask herself why would someone she just knew wanted to hug her during her lowest moments but she wanted to enjoy the moment and the person.

 

“I think you need a proper rest, Joohyun. It must be the continuation of that Tuesday night.”

 

“I probably should.”

 

“I can take you home, no worries.”

 

“No, thanks. Seungwan, I’ve been nothing but troublesome to you.

 

“Don’t say that please. Please give me your phone, I’m calling Sooyoung.”

 

Joohyun was helpless so she just gave her phone without any hesitation. Seungwan called Sooyoung and asked her to come to the toilet. Sooyoung arrived not long after, “Joohyun unnie. Oh my God. You should go home.”

 

“I’m okay, Sooyoung. No worries.”

 

“No. You’re going back home. I’ll call a taxi—”

 

Seungwan interrupted, “No worries, Sooyoung, I can take her. Besides, I already know her address.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yeah… That’s fine.”

 

“Okay I’ll let Taeyeon unnie know—”

 

Joohyun interrupted, "No. I really appreciate you guys but I’m speaking to Taeyeon unnie by myself and will pick up my things.”

 

Joohyun then walked slowly and left them. She went to pick up her things. Seulgi and Yerim saw her and were worried as she looked really sick. But Joohyun said no worries as she just needed a bit of rest. She went to Taeyeon’s room and asked to go home earlier.

 

“You can even take sick days until the weekend,” Taeyeon said “I knew you are unwell since earlier today. Please take a proper rest. We don’t have anything urgent. We can delegate the final session to Sooyoung.”

 

“No worries, unnie. I’ll try my best to be fit and return tomorrow.”

 

“No, Joohyun. You never even took days-off. Please take it.”

 

“But…”

 

“No buts. It’s the best timing. Take a proper rest, will you? Don’t worry about work for now.”

 

Joohyun thanked Taeyeon. After all, Taeyeon was right, she hasn’t really taken a real break after working with KimTae. And to add all that, she couldn’t think and just wanted to go home that time. Sooyoung went to her, “Please take care unnie. Seungwan already waited for you. She really insisted on taking you home.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“Let me know if you need anything. And don’t think much. That will worsen your condition.”

 

“Sure I will. Thank you Sooyoung.”

 

Joohyun got looked up by everyone in the office and Seungwan waited for her in front of the receptionist’s table.

 

“Let’s go,” said Joohyun to Seungwan. They walked together to the elevator. Once they got to the elevator, Joohyun felt Seungwan’s wrapped her arm around her shoulders.

 

“Still okay to walk?”

 

“Yeah…” nodded Joohyun. She wanted to shout, she wanted to let go of everything that shattered her mind and body, but that time all she needed was some proper bedrest and probably, she wasn’t sure either, being near someone named Son Seungwan.

 


 

Author's Note: Finally a longer chapter than usual! I'm aware that this is very slowburn but I hope you could still enjoy reading this. Cheers!