Crystal Growth (1)

Fractal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun flinches at the rush of steam as she lifts the iron from the shirt; it’s already bunched and slightly shiny by the time she lowers the heat. Ignoring the tight feeling in her abdomen, she presses her palms into her closed eyelids, waiting for the temperature of her iron to fall. When she opens her eyes again, it’s already tomorrow.

“Still awake?”

A slender hand turns the hot side of the iron away from Joohyun. When she looks up, Seulgi raises her eyebrows in concern.

“No thanks to you.”

“I promise this is the last time.”

“You said that three months ago.”

A frown paints Seulgi’s face. She reaches down to turn off the iron. Joohyun stops her and wearily checks the shirt for any burns before resuming her task.

“We can’t do this every single time we move to a new place; you know that between having to save up for Yeri’s tuition and Sooyoung running off with our money, we can’t afford to invite all these people over for a housewarming party for ‘bonding and community—’”

Fidgeting with Joohyun’s hair, Seulgi mutters something.

“What?” Joohyun looks up. “Did you need something?”

“No, it’s okay.” Seulgi Joohyun’s head once. “I’ll tell you after your checkup tomorrow. Do you need me to help with anything?”

The pot on the stovetop gurgles loudly, prompting Seulgi to rush over and turn it off. Joohyun stares at her wife’s back mindlessly.

“Your birthday is coming up soon too, right?” Seulgi doesn’t turn around as she wipes the outside of the pot. “Excited to be thirty?”

The kitchen light flickers as Joohyun finishes ironing the collar of the shirt. She jolts in surprise at the feeling of hot metal on the side of her finger; it blisters in the fleeting moment of time she lifts it to her face.

Seulgi’s humming is too loud as she moves the pot to the counter and drops a spoon into the half-full sink. It falls with a jarring clink. Even the stream of water from the spout makes Joohyun’s head throb.

“Come home early tomorrow. Don’t want to invite guests over to a dirty house.”

Seulgi turns to face Joohyun, who sets the shirt aside and turns off the iron. Under the dim lights, her face is unreadable. Seulgi forces a smile.

“I have PT at six. I’m going to head back to bed now.”

A nod from Joohyun—distracted, unlistening. The distance from the kitchen to their shared bedroom feels far, but Seulgi walks it patiently.

“Don’t sleep too late.” No response. Seulgi opens the door just a sliver, letting the light from outside stream in. “I’ll talk to you soon.”

She leaves the door ajar, but Joohyun clicks it shut.

§

“Hello?”

Seulgi’s voice is muddled over the sizzling of the fried rice in the wok, not that Joohyun was listening anyway. She circles the rice with soy sauce stored in a Sriracha hot sauce container before stirring everything together.

“Can you get some apples on your way home? I forgot you wanted to make apple tarts and used them all for the bossam and kimchi.”

“Okay. By the way—”

“Oh, and can you pick up Yeri today?” The oven beeps, signalling that it's done preheating. Joohyun flicks off the fire and swivels around to grab the short ribs. “And-and some cheese too. Not the cheap ones you eat all the time with your beer.”

Seulgi’s voice noticeably brightens. “Does that mean I’m allowed to get that wine?”

“Hmm, we have some crackers, so none of that. I can ask Mrs. Kim from 401 for some ham; she always has ham.”

“Alright, I’ll only get the cheese. Is there anything else—”

“The ice cream shop near Yeri’s school has a lot of delinquents, so don’t let her buy anything from there, even if she asks.”

Seulgi sighs. “She’s old enough to handle situations like that, Joohyun.”

“It’s a precaution. I’m still her guardian, regardless of age.”

Joohyun turns her phone to speaker mode and tosses it aside to move the heavy wok with both hands. It dips momentarily; she catches the round edge of the wok against the countertop edge only to accidentally flick on the fire. Swearing, she puts the wok on the floor and turns it off.

“Is everything okay?”

Joohyun wipes her palms on her apron. “Yeah, just getting things ready.” She glances at the clock. It’s nearly four. “I still have to work on the noodles and dumplings, so I’ll hang up for now.”

The line is silent for a few seconds before a beep indicates the end of the call. Seulgi stares at the glittering heart emojis surrounding Joohyun’s name on her phone screen then focuses her attention on someone walking her way. The person salutes in greeting and Seulgi returns it.

“Getting off early today, Sergeant?”

Seulgi tucks her phone away. “The missus has been cooking all day. I should go in and help, since I instigated the housewarming party.”

“I hear there will be a two-hundred dollar wine tonight.”

“You didn’t hear it from me.” Seulgi pats the soldier on the shoulder before heading to her old Toyota, dusty from months without a wash. She blinks at her reflection in the tinted window—now faded from years in the strong sun—while shoving her hand in her pocket to grab her keys. Reaching out, a mark against the dirty glass.

The thick smiley face that covers her own makes Seulgi laugh. It’s barely visible and her finger is dirty, but the low sun lights it brightly like a cheap neon sign and everything seems okay. Seulgi lingers for a bit longer. Everything will be okay.

Holding that moment of innocent joy, she gets into the car and drives off.

§

The sound of keys at the door rouses Joohyun from her intense dumpling-making session to see her wife and younger sister coming in through the front door. Seulgi hurries in, promising to come back to help after changing and washing her hands, while Yeri doesn’t even spare Joohyun a glance as she heads to her room.

Slam. Joohyun shuts her eyes tightly at her sister’s adolescent rage. It’s been precarious—their relationship: constant clashing, followed by quiet, quick withdrawals on Yeri’s behalf, just like a tumultuous rip current with too much to say. Despite coexisting in the same four walls, Joohyun knows that Yeri has been pulling away from her. She doesn’t do much to stop it.

“Did you two fight again?” Seulgi pats the leftover moisture on her hands onto her clothed thighs. She seats herself next to Joohyun and naturally takes the roller and a ball of dough. “She tried to run off when I waved at her.”

Joohyun presses her lips tightly together before taking the dumpling skin Seulgi rolled out. “Isn’t it obvious? She was probably planning on going to that sketchy underground performance with those kids who keep inviting her to band practice.”

Seulgi eyes Joohyun nervously but doesn’t stop with the task at hand. “Maybe they’re not bad kids. Plus, Yeri does seem to have a talent for music.”

“Don’t encourage her. She should know better than to do something that put us in this position.”

The thud of the wooden roller against the table and the clink of the spoon against the metal bowl containing the contents of the dumpling arrhythmically replace the dead conversation. After about twenty minutes, Joohyun gets up to put water on the heat.

“Joohyun, your father wasn’t a bad person.”

The words fall flat. “You don’t know that, Seulgi.” She watches the stillness of the cold water. “He wasn’t a good person either.”

“He was immature. Is it wrong to want to follow your dreams?”

“It’s wrong to put your dreams before your responsibility.”

“But—”

“Not today.” Joohyun tries to push down the swelling frustration in her chest. “We have guests coming over in an hour.”

The hour goes quickly—cooking has always been monotonous for her, but somehow it’s all she ever seems to do. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, repeat. Snacks, meals, feasts, repeat. Joohyun can’t remember the last time the sink was empty.

“Can you tell Yeri to come out and set the table? They should be here anytime soon.”

Seulgi furrows her eyebrows in concern; it’s been nearly three years now that Joohyun communicates to Yeri through her. She can tell it hurts Joohyun, but bringing it up only makes the rift between them wider. Massaging her bicep, Seulgi walks over to Yeri’s door.

Thankfully Yeri is a bit more cooperative with Seulgi, partly due to Seulgi’s amiable disposition. The nice plates come out and the food is set up banquet style; however, budgetary constraints result in Solo cups and disposable utensils. Joohyun watches Seulgi and Yeri set everything up with a careful eye all while prepping more endless things herself, somehow yet busy despite being done with everything that should have been done.

“Seulgi!” She rubs her temple. “Did you arrange the short ribs?”

The perpetrator peeks from behind Yeri, as if unaware that her stature is larger. “Isn’t it cute?”

“It’s unsightly and inconvenient.” Joohyun pokes at the ribs with a plastic tong. “Look how it falls over. Once people are done with it, it’ll look messy.”

Seulgi drops her head like a scolded puppy, so Joohyun opens her arms.

“Okay, I’m sorry. That came out a bit harsh.” Seulgi continues to hover over Yeri’s shoulder. “I’m just a bit stressed. Let’s just get through today, alright?”

Yeri snorts.

“Do you have something you want to say?”

“Oh, a lot.” The atmosphere that had previously been thawing freezes up again. “But it seems like someone is here.”

A chime resounds throughout the house at that moment, leaving Yeri smirking smugly. Seulgi loudly calls out to the newcomer and escapes the scene.

One by one, Seulgi’s platoon mates fill the small space of their living room, milling around with plates full of food and engaging in loud conversation. Yeri watches people from a corner, only briefly engaging with the occasional wanderer who reaches her, while Seulgi actively jumps from conversation to conversation, ever the pleasant host. It’s a lively scene—welcoming and communal—yet Joohyun can’t help but feel that it’s incredibly isolating as she puts out the second batch of ribs.

“Ma’am, these dishes are beyond stellar; you should really open up a restaurant sometime.”

Joohyun stares down at the ribs she just put on her plate before placing most of them back. “You can call me Joohyun.”

“Will do.” The man raises his eyebrows questioningly at Joohyun’s plate. “Too full?”

Too tired. Joohyun smiles politely. “Help yourself. You never know when you’ll ever get a chance to eat all this again.”

“The short ribs are selling out the quickest, as usual, huh?” Seulgi gently places an arm around Joohyun. Yeri is with her. “I myself am a big fan of the dumplings.” She points at the man’s plate. “Corporal Lee, it seems like you’re a fried rice type of guy.”

“I’ve found that it’s always reliable.” He turns his attention to Yeri. “Daughter? Must go to the middle school down the street.”

Seulgi slings an arm around Yeri too. “She’s my sister-in-law. She’s actually a senior in high school. Yeri, this is Corporal Lee.”

“Nice to meet you.”

“A senior?” Corporal Lee smiles widely. “My nephew is also a senior. Have you applied to any colleges yet?”

“A few. I’m still in the process of applying.”

“And what major?”

“Well, I’ve been looking into mus—”

“Probably pre-law or communications,” Joohyun cuts in. She can feel Yeri’s gaze on her. “My sister has always been big on helping others and is a smooth speaker.”

Seulgi’s arm tenses and Yeri frees herself from the uncomfortable grips of it. “I forgot I had to meet someone today. I’ll take my leave.”

Joohyun places her plate down and quickly follows. Left behind in the awkward silence, Seulgi and Corporal Lee move to grab more food.

“Yeri.”

Yeri waits until the door closes behind Joohyun. The hallway is silent, interrupted only by the occasional muffled laughter coming from inside their house.

Joohyun speaks first.

“Come home by eleven.” She pulls out something from her pocket and places it in Yeri’s hand. “And don’t walk alone on the streets.”

Yeri rubs the folded bills between her thumb and index finger, exhausted.

It goes into the potted plant near the door, next to the spare key.

§

The visitors have no intentions of leaving soon, so Joohyun excuses herself to sit alone in her and Seulgi’s bedroom, revelling in the reduction of auditory stimulation and lack of visual stimulation in the pitch dark space. Her fingers tingle from fatigue and all of a sudden, every bit of energy she had been holding onto leaves her body.

She thinks she must have let her eyes flutter shut for maybe two minutes when the doorbell rings. Hoping Seulgi will get it, Joohyun ignores the short bursts of sound, but at the realization that it echoes in a pattern that is all too familiar, she rushes out of the bedroom and slams open the front door.

“Wow, I didn’t expect you to greet me so avidly.”

“What the hell are you doing here?” Joohyun hisses. She tries to wedge her way outside and close the door behind her but Sooyoung doesn’t budge. “Move!”

“Hey, it’s pretty cold out. Won’t you invite a cousin in?”

“You idiot, it’s twenty-eight degrees right now. You’re wearing shorts.” Glancing behind her at the gradually slowing party, Joohyun shoves Sooyoung with her knees. “How did you even find us?”

Sooyoung uses her height to peek over Joohyun’s head at the party happening inside. “You’ve got a feast going on, I see!” she exclaims loudly for everyone to hear.

Joohyun’s ears flame in embarrassment, knowing that she can’t kick Sooyoung out now that everyone’s attention was turned towards them. Leaning down, Sooyoung drops her voice to a whisper.

“Relax, now. I’ve got debts to pay off anyway. You’re the one who ran off before I could return your money.”

Joohyun pushes Sooyoung back to look at her with a face of confused surprise brooding a splash of frustration. At her expression, Sooyoung gives her a cheeky grin.

“They’re watching.”

Fists trembling, Joohyun yields, stepping aside to let Sooyoung in. From afar, she can see Seulgi’s lopsided smile, her head tilted oddly at an angle. Joohyun shakes her head almost imperceptibly.

“This place is a lot smaller than I expected,” Sooyoung comments, grabbing a plate. As she piles up some noodles, she glances around at the kitchen. “Where’s Yeri?”

“Out.”

“Still writing mumble raps?”

Joohyun takes a deep breath. “No.”

“Good, she didn’t have much talent for hip-hop.” Sooyoung stuffs a dumpling into . “And how long are you staying here?”

Joohyun frowns in disgust at the bits of dumpling that fly out of Sooyoung’s mouth. “I don’t know why that’s any of your business—”

“Joohyun.”

At Seulgi’s appearance, Joohyun’s stomach tightens. “Did you leave the guests alone? Go keep them busy; if they start talking about Sooyoung, it’s only a matter of time before—”

“Calm down, Joohyun.” Seulgi places both of her hands on Joohyun’s shoulders. There’s an off-putting ease in her eyes. “The guests will leave.”

Something about Seulgi’s tone feels foreign to Joohyun, but she nods tightly, deciding that it’s better to deal with the problem at hand without any distractions. Seulgi heads back to the living room and starts herding everyone out. Joohyun watches as she salutes at the departing guests before shaking her head like a wet dog.

When she looks back at Joohyun, she looks confused. Joohyun can faintly hear her asking where the others went.

“Does she have anterograde amnesia or something?”

Joohyun frowns. “Don’t say such unlucky things.”

“I’m just speaking from observation.”

After greeting everyone goodbye, Seulgi returns to Joohyun’s side. She blinks in surprise, as if just noticing Sooyoung.

“Hey, Sooyoung. It’s been a while.”

Sooyoung and Joohyun face each other, concerned expressions mirrored.

“Hey, Seulgi. You okay?” Sooyoung slaps a hand onto Seulgi’s forehead before facing Joohyun. “She doesn’t seem to be sick. Maybe you should take her to a hospital in case it’s something…supernatural.”

Joohyun shoves Sooyoung aside, choosing to ignore her odd statements. “I’ll take care of my own wife.”

“Well, it doesn’t seem like you’re doing a very good job.”

Seulgi holds her hands out to both women. “Whoa, whoa. Let’s not start a fight over me, of all people.”

Joohyun peers accusingly at Seulgi. “That’s not possible now, is it?” She jabs a thumb in Sooyoung’s direction. “After all, you’re the one who wanted to invest in her weird pyramid scheme.”

The gears in Seulgi’s head are clearly throttling at full power. “Well, she’s family. No one you know better than family.”

“Exactly, Seulgi, she’s family,” Joohyun shoots

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter