“Are We Dating?”

“…thinks we’re dating.”

 

“My family thinks we’re dating.”

Tao says out of the blue, slumping on the couch with a bowl of popcorn, a coke in hand. Minseok cringes at the kernels dropping on his coffee table and rug. Tao’s words don’t register in his mind until a popcorn hits his forehead. He rubs it with a , “What” look on his face. 

“Didn’t you hear me?”

 

“Tao, they’ve thought that ever since you fell on me from the swings and then decided to kiss my cheek. And we were strangers then.” He picked up the kernels. “And stop messing up my floor, you slob.” He flicked him on the forehead.

 

“Hey!” He whined. 

 

Minseok stuck his tongue out to him on his way to the kitchen to throw the kernels away. 

 

Tao smiled at their little banter. He threw a few popcorns in his mouth and watched his drama in  peace. 

 

 

 

“How long are you here for?” Minseok asked, plopped next to Tao, under the throw blanket and , a small space between them. 

 

Tao shrugged. “My break started, so I’ll be going between yours and my parents interchangeably.”

 

“And when is graduation?”

 

“Next month the 5th. I told you already.”

 

“Yeah. My work keeping me busy, I momentarily forgot.”

 

Two nodded. 

 

They continued to watch the drama quietly , the evening passed as did the night. 

 

———

 

“Thank you for the ride, Min.” Tao unbuckled himself and checked himself in the car mirror. 

 

“You’ve checked yourself about 5 times now. You’re look fine.”

 

“You’ll pick me up again, right?”

 

“What, can’t your friends give you a ride back?”

 

Tao gave him a ‘really’ look. 

“They’re probably gonna be drunk out of their minds. Especially Sehun, that kid is probably alcoholic.”

 

Minseok laughed . “Fine. Watch yourself though,” he pointed. “I don’t want a repeat of your last drunken night that dreadful winter season.”

 

“Oh come on, Minie, that was once.”

 

“Exactly why I said what I said. I don’t want a repeat. Call me when you’re done. Now get out.”

 

 

Tao watch the car turn a corner with a smile on his face and Minseok’s safety in mind.

 

 

 

Tao and his friends were now on their fourth shot of the night. Sehun halfway to drunkenness. And he’s blabbering as he usually do when drunk. Tao rolls his eyes and drinks the ginger ale.

“Are you sure you’re not dating Kim Minseok?” He points to Tao and Jongin stops laughing, paying attention to the conversation. 

 

“No, Sehun, for the hundredth time, we’re not.”

 

“But you posted that pick of the two of you a few days ago. Cuddling, eating popcorn, watching a movie. Screams “DATING,” to me .” 

 

“Did you just yell that word out loud? “

 

“But he’s not wrong.” Jongin shrugged, chugging  a soju bottle down.

 

Tao sighed. 

 

 

 

 

“Why do you keep sighing?” Asked Minseok halfway through their drive back to his place. 

 

“My friends thinks we’re dating.” He sighed again.

 

Minseok stopped at a red light, scoffing, “And you’re mulling over that? I thought it was something else.”

 

“Like what?”

 

He shrugged. “I don’t know but definitely not that. Your friends have thought we were dating ever since you introduced me to them during your freshman year of college. And what did Sehun say at that time? “Tao! You’re dating this cutie pie of a man? How dare you, you lucky dog “ and he hit you, you spend your afternoon whining to me about how much it hurts and that you’ll take revenge on him.”

 

“Oohh you’ve just reminded me. I haven’t taken my revenge yet.” He clapped his hands in revelation.

 

“Seriously? It’s been four years.”

 

“College had me busy.” 

 

Minseok shook his head. They were approaching his place which wasn’t far from Tao’s parents house. 

“You sure you don’t want to sleep at your parents?”

 

“While looking like this? At 1 am ? No thanks.”

 

 

 

 

“Take the bed, I’ll sleep on the sofa tonight.”

 

“Why?” 

 

“Look at you, you need it more than I do.”

 

Minseok held Tao upright, staggering as he helped him take his shoes  and light jacket off. 

 

“Carry me.” Tao whined, head falling in the crane of Minseok’s neck.

“ I really don’t have the strength to right now.”

“Hyunggggg.”

“Oh now you’re remember that I’m older than you, how nice.”

“Please.”

Minseok swept him off his feet in one go and carried him to his bedroom. He took off the rest of his clothes for him and left him in his boxers and white tee. 

“Goodnight Zitao.”

“Mmmh.”

 

Minseok watched as Tao made himself cozy , shook his head with a smile and left for the sofa. 

 

 

—-

 

“Min?”

 

“Mmhm.”

 

Tao poked his blueberry muffins, avoiding Minseok’s eyes.

 

“What is it?” He asked gently.

 

“Are we dating?”

 

Minseok froze mid drinking his nasty pre-workout drink as Tao usually calls it. 

 

“Forget I asked.” He got up and walked out the door. Leaving a stunned Minseok in his seat.

 

 

——

 

Tao’s Mom placed a plate of fruit in front of her sulking son , whose head laid on their dining table.

“I thought you forgot where you lived for a second. And why are you sulking?” She tsked, sitting next to him as she ran her fingers through his hair. 

 

“He probably fought with Minseok hyung, that’s the only time he ever remembers that we exist.” His bratty younger brother who was sitting in front of him, Sicheng said, eyes never leaving his phone. 

Tao threw a grape at him. 

His father gave him a slap. “Don’t waste food. And it’s true. You’ve barely been home ever since your term ended. What are we, some rebound.”

 

“Dad!” Tao exclaimed, sitting up. “Honestly, this is why I stay away from you three.”

 

The three looked at each other and shrugged. 

 

“What happened this time around?” Asked his mom, peering at him. And his father and brother did the same.

 

“You three are unbearable.”

 

“ for you then,” Sicheng said, “You’re stuck with us until your quarrel with Minseok hyung is resolved. And knowing you and how bratty you are when it comes to him, that’ll be awhile.”

 

His mother and father firmly nodded. Showing their obvious agreement.

 

Tao groaned into his arms, facing back on the table. If he was cartoon characters, he’d be banging his head on the table. 

 

 

 

 

“Still here I see.” Sicheng commented as he entered the house one  late afternoon coming from his dance class. 

 

“Oh shut it. This is my house too.”

 

“Oh really? Hmm with how absent you are from this house, I almost forgot. Stupid me.” He hit his forehead a couple times. Tao looked at him with disgust. 

 

 

———

 

Tao doesn’t expect to see Minseok sitting on the couch with his father, a few beer bottles on the table and a basketball game on the tv. He peeks outside. No sign of Minseok’s car anywhere. He sighed . He says hi, collectively and goes to his room. Not waiting for an answer. Or to see whether they’ve noticed him. 

 

He can hear the loud cheers of his father and Minseok, the tv volume so high. Tao does his best to keep the noise from his head.

 

 

His graduation was in about 3 weeks now and his cap and gown were yet to arrive. 

He checked his email, nothing yet. But a reminder of the graduation ceremony. 

 

 

“Knock knock.” Came Minseok’s voice, entering.

 

“That’s not how knocking goes.”

 

“Why did you leave so suddenly, not finishing your food at that. Do you know how much effort I put into making those pancakes?” He crossed his eyes and glared at Tao.

 

Tao continued scrolling through his laptop. 

 

“And now you’re avoiding my eyes.” Minseok got right in front of him. So close their lips could touch. 

 

“Move.” He pushed him. 

 

“The house is lonely and quiet, and way too clean. When are you coming back?”

 

“I’m mad at you, you know.” Tao crossed his arms.

 

“I know.” Minseok did the same, pouting as Tao did.

 

Tao kicked him. “You’re a menace.”

 

 

 

 

 

“Ah so you’re about to leave again.” Sicheng leaned against his doorway, and fake wiped his teary eyes. 

 

“I don’t like that brat by the door.” 

 

Minseok laughed. Tao joined in soon after and Sicheng shook his head with a smile at the two. 

 

 

——

 

 

“You look absolutely gorgeous in your graduation gown.” Minseok softly commented as he placed the cap on Tao’s head. “Congratulations, Zitao. I’m very proud of you.” He kissed his cheek. 

Tao closed his eyes, soaking in the moment, the soft lips placing a gentle kiss on his cheek. It felt eternal.

 

 

 

 

“Huang Zitao, Bachelors of Science in Computer Science.”

 

 

Tao smiled the whole way to the stage accompanied by the applause and cheers of his friends, family and his Kim Minseok. 

 

 

Afterwards they gathered at Tao’s parents house. Minseok’s parents present as well. 

They were in the backyard, the sun shone bright and hot.

 

Minseok was by the grill, looking confused as to whether the meat was ready or not. He really couldn’t tell. Tao came up to him and offered him a bottle of soju.

“I don’t know why you insisted on working the grill, you at it.” Tao chuckled, downing his own drink. 

Minseok pursed his lips  and left the tongs on the grill. “I really do at this.”

 

 

“Look at how cute you two look together.” Minseok’s Mom patted his cheeks as she came to collect some meats. She turned them a couple times before squinting at Minseok. “This are not done, Minseok.”

 

Minseok gave her a toothy smile and Tao couldn’t hold in his laughter. His mother shoved them aside as she shook her head saying she’d do it herself. 

 

 

Once the gathering was coming to a close, Minseok and Tao collected the dishes to wash. They worked out that Minseok would wash and Zitao would rinse and put them away. Everyone else had a task of tidying up the yard. 

 

They washed silently, with the sounds of their parents filtering in and out. The water and clanks of dishes the only sound in the kitchen.

And then Minseok flicked some water on Tao’s face, startling him out of his daze. 

“Min! Ughh.” He wipes his face on his arm.

 

“What’s gotten you so dazed out?”

 

“Nothing.”

 

“Mmmh.” Minseok rinsed his hands and turned off the faucet. “What’s wrong?” He asked more gently.

 

 

“You …. You didn’t answer my question from before.” Tao shrugged. “You always avoid everything that has to with the idea of you and I dating.”

 

Minseok listened tentatively, biting his lips. 

“ZiTao.” Tao didn’t look at him. He sighed and continued. “Don’t you….. I don’t avoid it, I just thought it’d be better to ask you after you finish with college. I also wanted to make sure I was at a place where I could be there for you in any capacity.” He ran down Tao’s arm, holding his hand. “I was going to ask you tomorrow, today is your day and I didn’t want to take that moment from you. You’ve worked for it.” Minseok kissed his cheek. 

 

Tao pulled him into a hug and let the tears fall. 

 

Minseok squeezed at his waist, pulling him closer.

“Zitao, Can I be your boyfriend?”

 

“Yes, you idiot. You don’t even have to ask.”

 

Minseok laughed.

 

 

 

 

“Finally.” Sicheng said from behind the kitchen doorway, where he and their parents were peeking at the two, one over the other. He pretended to release a relieved sighed, prompting laughter from everyone. 

Even Tao couldn’t be mad at them for the invasion of privacy. 

 

——-

 

Tao slumped on Minseok’s sofa, bag of chips in hand. Minseok cringed as he sat next to him.

 

He kissed Tao’s cheek as he snuggled closer to him. “I love being so close to you.”

 

Tao kissed his forehead, “You don’t know how long I’ve longed for this, Min. I craved it.”

 

“I did too. I crave you all of the time. It’s like I can’t get enough of you.”

 

“Hyung?”

 

“Mmh?”

 

“Thank you. For waiting for me.”

 

Minseok snuggled closer, not minding the orange fingers reaching behind him to pull him into a kiss. 


 

 


 

 

 

--------

 

*Thank you all for reading.

My favorite part is Tao's family, I cracked up

at their scene 😂 Sicheng is *that* sibling and I'm here for it.