Come back to me

Come back to me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Small sounds of chores rattle through the quiet apartment. The sound of footsteps shuffling from the bedroom to the bathroom, rustling sounds of putting on clothes and packing the bag he usually carries to the office. He picked his jacket which he will wear once he gets to his office in one hand and his satchel in the other as he walked to the kitchen.

He poured the coffee he had prepared a couple of minutes ago, glad that it is still warm as per his liking, its dark aroma filling up the place as he pours it in the mug. He grabbed a jar of peanut butter and spread it on his toast, making quick of the simple breakfast.

His memory drifts to his college days, when he would rush out to grab the morning breakfast in their hostel cafeteria with his next door best friend. A smile graced his lips at the memory of the home-like food they would be served. It's been happening a lot lately. These memories of his youth springing up every now and then, when he is doing mundane tasks.

The person who he had spent those three years together with, who had promised him to stay with him forever flashes in front of his eyes. That undeniably naive smile which he can't get out of his mind no matter how hard he tries. He scraped off the last bites of his toast and drank his coffee in two big gulps when his timer went off,  reminding him it's time to leave or else he might get stuck in the traffic.

Kyuhyun was not someone who blames others for the stuff in his life. He assumes responsibility for even the things that are out of his control. But he will always blame that man for stealing his heart and never returning it. For stealing his every waking moment in his memory. He doesn't regret meeting him. God knows it was one of the luckiest encounters of his life. 

But he still wishes. He wishes if things were different now.

 

The slow traffic on the way to commute does nothing more than to aggravate the nostalgia and set it in. He turned on the radio. An entertaining ad is playing, marketing a tourist spot that's famous nowadays and needs to be visited these upcoming holidays. The name of the place yet again reminds him of that man, his hometown.

He can't escape him. He claims every thought in his mind.

 

___

 

"Kyuhyun", his friend Ryeowook called out. "You are late!" He exclaimed in his high pitch voice.

Kyuhyun ducked at the approaching extended arms for embrace, flinging his satchel onto the other shoulder. "You ever tried being subtle". Ryeowook grins, after the usual decline of his free hug, "Subtle and me? Never heard that." They walk to their work stations greeting the other colleagues who are also just settling in. Apparently it wasn't just Kyuhyun who was stuck in the traffic.

Ryeowook is Kyuhyun's best friend who has been with him since he was young. Though they had been to different universities, they still ended up in the same office. Ryeowook calls it fate. Kyuhyun calls it misfortune, just to annoy the smaller guy.

The day goes by in a dull. More boring than the usual days. Even his colleagues had been chattering away because there wasn't much work. He hears them plan a dinner for the night, the excited laughter of Ryeowook in the midst of their discussion startles him. Others laugh at the unique reaction in turn. 

He would join in the talk. But not today. Today he misses that person sorely and even the sight of happy people makes him feel jealous. Jealous that the one who would laugh silly at his unfunny jokes isn't with him.

Ryeowook tapped on Kyuhyun's shoulder, bringing him back to reality, "What's up? You have been zoning out a lot lately." Ryeowook pulled his chair closer and sat by his side. Kyuhyun shrugged and rubbed his nape, "Nothing, just bored I guess."

Ryeowook clapped his hand at that, "Great. We just took permission from the manager to get off work early." He swirls his chair to his side of the workstation and starts tidying up the place. "Since it's the middle of the month and not much work, he agreed."

He eyed Kyuhyun when the latter just stared at him, "Are you not gonna pack up?" He switched off his table light, "and before you say no, you are coming with us."

Kyuhyun balked at his words, hands reaching for his satchel, "Who are you to decide? Besides where are we going?" He stuffed his things in the bag in confusion as he put on his jacket. 

Ryeowook smiled wide, "Grab a dinner and have a blast at the karaoke." He walks off with Kyuhyun following him. "Whose treat is it? Cause I'm not paying for you." Kyuhyun falls in a jog at Ryeowook's fast pace. "It's on Yesung."

 

___

 

Kyuhyun jokes and laughs. The karaoke session begins with upbeat songs. Ryeowook channeling his inner trot singer to liven up the atmosphere. He relaxes, let's the alcohol take off his sadness. He doesn't know if others notice it, he would rather they not. Because if they ask, he might reveal the cause of it and he doesn't know how they will react to it, react to the mention of Donghae. Ryeowook was the only one aware since he was there when he saw him at his lowest after Donghae left.

The drinks finally take their toll and songs have turned to emotional ballads. Yesung belts out the high notes, sadness evident in his voice and Kyuhyun wonders if he should really be working in their office. The emotions of the song are too much for him, the lyrics yearning for a love long gone. He gets up and leaves. He needs a breath of fresh air.

The memory plays on a loop in his head. He feels his fingers tingle as if they were just touched by Donghae, as they both take a step away from each other, their arms the only link between them. He remembers the touch of his cool fingers against his own warm hands as they trail off and stood apart. Who knew that the unfinished last choreography of them standing apart would represent their current state, separation. It's been years but their final moment is still as clear as new.

He trudges down the stairs and takes a deep breath in. He hasn't drank a lot, he was mindful of that. Maybe that's why Donghae is still on his mind. He leaned against the wall, head raised up to stare at the sky. He frowned at the lack of stars and at the forming clouds. The cool breeze flutters his tie but also lightens up his tense body.

He looks down and glances at the nearby restaurants that have dwindling crowds. It's late. He should leave while he can still walk and is sober. He is about to turn and go inside when he notices a familiar face across the sidewalk. He rubs his eyes with the palm of his hand and stares again. 

"Donghae..." the name comes out of his lips like a whisper. He wonders if he is dreaming, his feet already walking towards the person. The man had turned around, busy scrolling on his mobile,  unaware of his presence probably like how he was unaware of his feelings. The light from his mobile shines on his face and Kyuhyun is sure its him.

He places his hand on his shoulder and makes him turn, eyes welling up. "Donghae'", he called out his name like a question.

Donghae is taken aback by his appearance, eyes wide in surprise. His lips move, but no coherent words form in his mind. "Kyuhyun", he utters just his name as he jumps up and grabs Kyuhyun into a hug. He places his arm across his shoulder resting his head on the other, glad to have bumped into his friend.

Kyuhyun holds Donghae tightly in his embrace, closing his eyes as he breaths in his familiar scent and feels his warm body. They stumble a bit because Donghae had been standing on his toes. Kyuhyun slightly regrets when they pull away from the hug, missing  the warm and comfy feeling, noticing the passer-by staring at their reunion.

Kyuhyun has a hundred questions and thousand emotions. He wants to ask how he has been? Where he has been? What he has been doing? He wants to scold him for not contacting again. Wants to cry for leaving him back then. Wants to just feed him a lot, because what is this? Where are his chubby cheeks that he used to pinch?

Donghae waves his hand and smiles, "Earth to Kyuhyun! You there?" Kyuhyun smiles back, "How have you been?" He asks, that bright smile wiping away all the questions he had formed in his head. It is still ever so naive, ever so radiant that it brightens up his entire face, even his eyes twinkle.

"I have been better", Donghae replies as he scratches at his nose. "I just returned to Korea two days ago", he says as he looks away. Kyuhyun nods at that, wants to ask if he will share the reason because of which he had to leave last semester mid way, but holds back.

"Are you here for long?" He asks instead, hoping for an affirmative reply.

Donghae smiles, eyes still not looking at Kyuhyun and staring at some place else. "We'll see how it goes." Kyuhyun notices the sadness in his smile, his eyes seeming distant, "Maybe I'll stay maybe I won't." He smiles wide as he looks up, letting out a heavy breath, "How are you?" He takes a sniff towards Kyuhyun, "I see you have been drinking."

Kyuhyun looks down at his dishevelled clothes, just in his shirt and loosened tie, a small splotch on his black pants from the drink that spilled a while ago. "I am fine", he runs his fingers through his hair to settle them down. "Just came out with colleagues to have dinner." He stutters at the way Donghae was staring at him in amusement, "Wanna join?" 

Donghae shakes his head as he looks in the opposite direction, "I was heading back to the hotel. Might need to be early tomorrow." He chuckles, the smile not quite reaching his eyes, "Maybe sometime later."

Kyuhyun smiles back, feeling anything but happy, "Let me drop you, I brought my car." He is already patting his pockets to feel the keys, sadness creeping in at the thought of walking away. Donghae shakes his head, "No, don't worry. It's just ahead. Besides you are not in the state to drive." He paused and repeated sternly, "Don't drive back home either".

Donghae looked down at his mobile and Kyuhyun noticed its a map showing direction to his hotel. He looked back at the karaoke he came from and then to Donghae, "Let's go together." Donghae was stunned by the offer, was about to refuse but Kyuhyun insisted, "Ryeowook will grab my things. Don't worry. I can take a cab after we reach your hotel." 

They fall into step, walking side by side, hands swinging merely centimeters away. Kyuhyun smiles at the memory of them linking hands as they walked, busy chattering away about studies or plans. Guess things have changed. He wonders if Donghae ever reminisces about their days.

Donghae is quiet. Head lowered, staring at the ground, seemingly in thought. He takes a deep breath and looks ahead, "I decided to walk around, get reacquainted. But nothing has changed much". He remarks contrary to how Kyuhyun feels with a sigh, "I have missed Korea a lot."

"Is that the only thing you missed?"

Kyuhyun didn't intend to sound harsh but he couldn't stop the words from falling out of his mouth. He wants to slap himself for having that unrestrained tongue of his. Donghae snapped his head to his right, falters in his steps but continues when Kyuhyun doesn't meet his gaze and has a tense jaw. "It's not like that." He clutches at the front of his long jacket, feeling uncomfortable at the sudden remark. "I have missed you too", he replies in a whisper as he quickens his pace.

 

The cool breeze blows through them making Kyuhyun shiver at the lack of his jacket. They are already out of the maze like streets that were lined with shops, cafes, restaurants and were now  headed to the hotel. Kyuhyun huffs from beside due to exertion, "I didn't realise we would have to walk this far." Donghae chuckles, "I think we just have to walk across this playgrou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter