Party of Two

Party of Two

"Oh! I didn't expect to find anyone up here, I'll leave you alone-"

Donghae's about to close the door and turn back, but-

"It's fine. There's plenty of space for the two of us."

The man gestures for him to come closer.

"Besides, it'd be a shame to hog this view all to myself."

The man idly sips his drink as he turns back to the night sky.

Donghae approaches hesitantly, sitting an appropriate amount of distance away so as to not bother the man, but easy enough if he wants to talk.

Donghae sneeks a look at the man and wonders at how... lonely he seems.

"So, do you know the birthday boy?"

A small lift of the lips, a hint of mirth in the man's eyes.

"Yeah, you could say that. What about you?"

"Nope, just know some friend of a friend. Said I had to come, even if I didn't know him." Donghae shrugs. "Still feels weird though."

"Maybe it's better you don't know him. I mean, who has a birthday party where they don't even know half the guests? Sounds like a prick."

Donghae furrows his brows. "He can't be that bad. I mean he's a..." Donghae pauses for a moment, "a friend of a friend of a friend. I think."

The man smiles. "You're optimistic. That's nice." He takes another sip of his drink. "If I were him, it'd be way better to have a small gathering. Just a few people." He turns back to the view. "A few people that matter."

"Is that why you're up here? Too many people down there?"

He nods slowly. "...Yeah, just not for me."

Donghae's about to respond but-

"..."

"...I guess you're hungry?"

Donghae laughs awkwardly. "I don't know what any of those tiny things they're serving are."

"The hors d'oeuvres?"

"Yeah, those! What if one of them has snails??"

The man bursts out laughing. "That's true. Who knows what's in them."

"Exactly! Do you wanna go get something to eat?"

The man blinks in surprise. "Just... leave?"

"Yeah, I'm hungry, and food always tastes better with company. And you look like you don't want to be here."

Donghae hops to his feet and looks expectantly at the man.

The man stares at him before finally standing up. "You know what, you're right. Let's go."

Donghae opens the door, letting the other go first. "My name is Donghae by the way. What's yours?"

"Hyukjae. Nice to meet you."

"Wait, isn't that birthday boy's name?!"

The man has a small smile, his eyes bright. "Nah, you heard wrong."

"I'm pretty sure-"

"C'mon, didn't you say you're starving? Suddenly, I am too."

Donghae lets it go and figures he'll find out if Hyukjae's lying or not eventually.