Chapter four

Teenage Dilemma
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The three classmates gathered together in Haerin's bedroom Saturday night like they planned to. The mood was down the whole evening and there was some tension lingering between them. It wasn't some of those sleepovers Haerin used to host in the past where they would paint their nails, have snacks, gossip and laugh until Haerin's parents would ask them to keep it quiet since they would stay up until early into the morning. They all have grown up sooner than they expected and those kinds of things weren't fun anymore for neither of them. The girls were silent, each of them being preoccupied with whatever they had in their head and hearts. 

 

"I think I'm gay." Haerin said interrupting the random kpop song the playlist on her laptop chose for them to listen to. Hanni looked up from her phone for a second while Jihye didn't even bother to pay attention to her friend. Haerin, who was laying flat on her back sat up and looked at the two uninterested girls ignoring her. "I said I'm gay!"

 

"Congratulations." Jihye received a light kick on her leg for being sarcastic and gloomy since this kept bugging Haerin since her best friend brought it up to her. And the fact that she agreed to see Minji tomorrow didn't help at all.

 

"Yah, I'm serious." Haerin pouted as she was hurt, trying to grab the attention of Jihye. The girl stood up as well from laying down on the futon placed on the floor and joined Haerin to bed. Hanni followed soon after, leaving her phone behind for once in her life.

 

"Welcome to the losers' club. Who's the girl you most likely will never have?" Hanni asked, however Haerin wasn't quite ready to tell them about Minji. Nothing really happened yet and Haerin knew for sure she wasn't ready to be dating for real. She wanted to believe that Minji was just friendly and didn't want anything more, but her gut kept telling her otherwise. Haerin wasn't sure yet if she liked the older girl or not. All the times she felt nervous and shy when Minji interacted with her was because she was receiving attention from someone so important in their school. At least, that's what Haerin wanted to believe. 

 

"There's no girl. I just don't see myself being interested in boys like most of the girls my age are." Haerin lied, there was a girl that she couldn't get out of her head. She knew now that Minji came into her life, she won't be able to let go that easily. Maybe it was just for the moment and once Minji will graduate, she'll forget about her. Or maybe Haerin did start catching feelings and didn't know yet. Whatever it may be, Haerin just wanted to enjoy the moment. 

 

"I just hope no straight girl with a boyfriend will catch your attention, because that would ." Jihye said and Haerin understood immediately what the girl meant. She hugged her friend and Jihye started immediately crying. Hanni sighed and rubbed the other girl's back, trying to comfort her. Haerin knew however that nothing will make Jihye feel better other than Heesoo herself, but despite the older girl being her best friend, she decided not to get herself involved anymore. As much as she cared about Jihye and as much as she wished for her best friend to reconsider her decisions, it wasn't Haerin's problem since she couldn't do anything about it.

 

"At least Heesoo sunbae knows about your existence. Hyein would never know who I am no matter how many letters I'll give her." Hanni said but only received a side eyed glare from Jihye. 

Just an hour in and those two already started talking about their crushes. Haerin sighed but couldn't be mad, she loved her friends nevertheless.


 

¤¤¤


 

Haerin just arrived at the entrance at the shopping district the famous basketball team captain told her to be at. She was ten minutes early and she was nervously waiting while she was swallowed whole by anxiety. Was her hair staying in place? Was her makeup keeping up? Was the outfit cute enough? Haerin actually put effort into the way she looked that day; she wanted to leave a good first impression. The senior never saw her outside of school and she wanted to wear a completely different outfit from their dull and boring brown uniforms. 

 

Reality hit as Haerin spotted the older girl in the distance. Her breath hitched and she placed her hand in her chest to calm herself down. This was really happening, wasn't it? She always imagined her first date to be later in life, maybe in college, not so soon and definitely not with someone so beautiful. Haerin was mesmerized and caught herself staring at the girl approaching; she never thought a simple t-shirt, a jacket, jeans and sneakers would look so good on someone. 

 

"Hey, you actually made it!" Minji smiled and embraced the younger girl who was caught off guard. Haerin found herself blushing again and it wasn't even a minute spent with the older girl. This was going to be a long afternoon, wasn't it? 

 

"Why wouldn't I, sunbae?" Haerin gently pushed herself away to look at the taller girl. 

 

"I don't know. I think it was a little bit lame the way I asked you." Minji grabbed the younger girl's hand and started walking down the narrow street full of stores and cafés. "Also this place… I couldn't think of any other place other than here. My mind blanked out for a moment talking to you on Friday." Haerin found the honesty and boldness of the older girl pulling on her heart strings; Minji was just so charming. She would lie if she said otherwise and the fact that Kim Minji herself was insecure and nervous, made Haerin feel better about herself. She wasn't the only one anxious going into this. 

 

"This place is

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter