Chapter 6

Return of the boy next door
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Ah, everyone has gone crazy," Dahyun said, staring at the scene before her.

Everyone was in the conference after the manager had called everyone in. It seemed like the feedback platform was successful, and the manager was given a warning. He started asking who it was, and his language became extreme that one of her team members decided to speak up. A lady in her early thirties and she did her job quite well. She was one of the manager's victims, whereby she did all the work, but the credit was given to the manager.

They were bickering back and forth, and slowly, more employees started speaking up, and it had turned into a horrible mess. The manager eventually resorted to violence and slapped one of her female team members in a fit of rage, and Jaehyun stood protectively in front of her afterward. 

Their shouting drowned her words, and she clicked her tongue in annoyance. Deciding to get all their attention by switching off the lights, she turned it back on right after the room was silent. 

"It would be best if you let go of each other right now," Dahyun told the manager and Minhyun, who were grabbing each other's collars.

"Are you okay, Minhee?" Dahyun turned to the lady who just got slapped. 

She had tears, and her cheek was swollen, making Dahyun draw a long breath before asking one of the ladies to accompany her to the restroom to get her cleaned up. 

"Who the hell are you to tell me what to do?" The manager hissed. "Ah, you must also be the one who sabotaged me, huh?" 

Dahyun glared at the manager so deadly that he noticeably flinched.

"Enough is enough, Mr. Kang. Don't you want to continue working after being laid off from this job?" Dahyun folded her arms and asked.

The manager smirked, "What can a mere low-ranking employee do?" 

Dahyun rolled her eyes at him and walked over to him. She patted Minhyun's hand and urged him to let the manager go, and Minhyun reluctantly released his grip and took a step back.

Looking at the manager, she said, "I can do anything, actually, and it wouldn't be considered whistleblowing either. I can call the police on you for hitting Minhee and tell the HR department what you've done as well. You will leave without a letter of recommendation, and we all know how difficult it is to find a job now, don't we?" 

She had a smirk on her face, and she had the satisfaction of seeing the manager's face turning red from anger. Dahyun didn't even know that it was possible to anger the manager even more than he already was. 

"You little b*!" He struck her cheek, and she could feel her lips crack at the same time her cheek started aching.

She was pulled backward, behind Minhyun and Jaehyun. Tasting blood on her tongue, she gave a dark chuckle as anger rose. The last time someone put a hand on her, they had to say goodbye to their future. Everyone in the industry would know their names and their fate would be sealed. That was how powerful her family was; being the owner of one of the largest investment firms in the country and having ties to almost all the big shots helped increase her family's status. 

Just that the family preferred to keep their private lives well... personal. Everyone knew they had a daughter, but the daughter had never stepped out of society. She was only made known to those who needed to know who she was, and those people were usually the higher-ups of the companies that had a relationship with the investment firm.

"Oh, you're in big trouble now. My father will kill you," she glared at the manager.

The manager released a scoff and gave her a smug look, "And who exactly is your father?" 

"I am," the door opened, and in came her father. Together with him was her mother, the director of the investment firm. 

"S-S-Sir...?" The manager stuttered.

Dahyun's father looked at Dahyun's face, and he frowned deeply. Meanwhile, Dahyun's mother caressed the swollen cheek and looked at Dahyun worriedly. 

"Leave the company and make sure that you stay out of our sight," Dahyun's father said, glaring at the manager.

The manager was trembling and gave him a bow before stumbling out of the conference room. Her father turned to her and asked, "Why didn't you call for me?" 

Dahyun gave a casual shrug as she felt her anger die down at the sight of her parents. 

"Mr. Kim," Dahyun looked around and noticed the remaining team members were still bowing to her parents.

"Right, sit down. Let's chat," Dahyun's father told them before turning to Dahyun, "do you need to see a doctor?" 

Dahyun shook her head.

"I just need an icepack," Dahyun said, and her father nodded before texting someone.

Dahyun's father naturally sat at the head of the conference table, with her and her mother sitting on each of his sides. 

"Firstly, I apologize on behalf of the management team for hiring such a manager. Our hiring process will become more stringent to ensure that the appropriate person leads the team," her father started.

"Secondly, please let me know which projects Mr. Kang had taken credit for but was not done by him. I will compensate you appropriately. It is the least I could do for all the mental and emotional strain the company has put you through for hiring such a manager," he continued. 

"Thirdly, this is unrelated to work, but as I have revealed just now, Dahyun is my daughter. However, I have no intention of giving her a shortcut. That's why she's working with you instead of with the higher management. I want her to learn the ropes from the bottom, so I would appreciate it if you could continue guiding her like a colleague. I've heard great things about the team from her," her father had a slight smile on his lips as he said those words, and she could feel her cheeks burning up from embarrassment.

"I'll handle it myself," she softly said, nudging her father's arm. 

Her father ignored her and cleared his throat, "Now then. Is there anything you want to bring up since I'm here?" 

Everyone was quiet, so Dahyun spoke up. 

"When are we getting a new manager? Since you just fired him

Please log in to read the full chapter