Let You Fly

Let You Fly
Please log in to read the full chapter

The sweet fragrance of the flower shop filled Jimin’s nostrils as he worked away on a bouquet order. Jimin hummed along to the soft music that played in the background, his mind zeroed in on putting the flowers together in just the right way. Behind him, Namjoon sat at a small table, typing away on his computer. He was supposed to be on a small break, but like the work loving man he was, he was actually clearing out his inbox. Every once in a while, he’d sigh deeply and run his hands through his hair tiredly when he found an email that he actually had to respond to with thought. 

Jimin looked over at him, his heart melting as he watched Namjoon type away, hunched over the computer tiredly. This wasn’t a traditional date but it was the perfect sort of date for them. Jimin had a few last minute orders to make and deliver and Namjoon always had work he could do so it worked out perfectly. Namjoon came right from work (well he had stopped by a cafe and gotten a few snacks and some coffee for them), set up the fold up table, put on some music, and got right away to work… after a kiss or ten. 

Just an hour more of work and then they’d be on the road. Jimin took a deep breath and continued working on his bouquet. Evenings like these were highlights of his week. Small moments like these meant the world to him. He quickly put the finishing touches on this bouquet and started to move around a tad. Quietly, he cleaned up his station before grabbing a glass of water.

“Don’t forget to drink some water, sunshine.” Jimin said as he set down the water next to Namjoon’s computer and softly rubbing his back. 

“Thank you,” Namjoon sighed and leaned back in his chair, looking at Jimin with a tired smile on his face, his dimples barely peeking out as he smiled, “How are the bouquets going?”

“I am nearing the end! I think we’ll be able to deliver them in an hour or so.”

“What a perfect stopping point for me!”

“Oh? Nearing the end of your emails?”

Namjoon snorted, “No but I’ll give up then.”

“After a valiant effort, I’m sure.” Jimin said with a laugh, winking quickly as he joked. 

“Absolutely. Is my music ok? I would’ve done our collaborative playlist but I really needed calmer music today." 

"It’s wonderful. I’ve been really enjoying it!”

“I’m glad.”

Jimin nodded, leaning down and pecking Namjoon before going back to his work table, a warm buzz filling him as he continued to work. Being with Namjoon constantly left Jimin feeling a soft buzz throughout his body, it seeped into him like how warm drinks heat you up from the hands and stomach. Sometimes it was like a mulled wine that made him feel hot and heady, other times it was like coffee that made him energized and ready for the day ahead, and on nights like tonight, it was like a calming jasmine tea that relaxed and calmed him. In the time that they’d been together, Namjoon had never ceased to amaze Jimin.  

After finishing his final bouquet and cleaning his work space, Jimin leaned on the table and looked over at Namjoon. Flowers surrounded Namjoon like a halo of sunlight, hugging tightly to him. He seemed at home with the many floral arrangements as they egged on his challenging work. It made Jimin’s heart flutter. They may have only started dating a few months ago, but Namjoon seemed to fit into Jimin’s life so perfectly. He should make a bouquet for Seokjin who set them up and maybe a thank you letter to the head of his department who hasn’t fielded Namjoon any job offers from out of SNU’s Seoul campus.

had to kiss a lot of frogs before you came along

… Would it be too soon to say he loved Namjoon? 

Excitement buzzed through Jimin from where he sat nestled into Namjoon’s side, looking out from his spot in the booth to watch his friends talk. Jimin was sipping on a beer laughing as Jungkook started a long story. His eyes were wide and he threw his arms around wildly as he spoke about how serious Hoseok was with shopping. 

“It was honestly scary!” Jungkook concluded. 

Hoseok laughed and shook his head, “Clothes are a serious topic.”

“I would disagree.”

“Well Jungkook-ah, you only dress in black so I don’t know if you have much ground in this conversation.” Jimin said with a laugh. 

“Woah! Where did that voice come from?” Jungkook asked, raising his head to intentionally look over Jimin with a mischievous grin.

Namjoon laughed, earning a small slap and eye roll from Jimin, “You’re supposed to be on my side, hyung!”

“I’m always on your side, my little Kuroshimae.”

Jimin giggled, hiding his face in Namjoon’s side as their friends groaned. 

“I don’t even know what that is, Namjoon-ah.” Seokjin said with a sigh.

“Sea sheep!”

“I regret introducing you two.”

Yoongi gently pushed against Seokjin, “That’s a lie and we both know it.”

Namjoon’s phone lit up an urgent message notification showing, “Is it ok if I quickly check this message?”

“Sure! I’ll get rounds for everyone while you do!” Hoseok said, jumping out of the booth.

“Let me join you!” Taehyung said, quickly scurrying behind Hoseok toward the bar. 

Whining as Namjoon grabbed his phone from the table, Jimin looked around the restaurant to give Namjoon space to read the email. 

A sharp intake from Namjoon made Jimin look back, “I got a job offer to work for the Oceanography Society of Japan.”

It felt like a cold bucket of water washed over Jimin as he looked at Namjoon process the information. Did Namjoon even realize that he said that out loud? 

Jimin was frozen as he watched Namjoon finish reading the email. The rest of the restaurant faded away and all he could see was Namjoon and all he could think about was Namjoon got the job he’d been wanting. 

Namjoon would leave Jimin, fly to another country, and live there. He’d talked about the possible position when they’d started dating, Jimin knew it was an option, but after two months, they’d both figured that it wasn’t going to happen. 

Six months later and they decide to accept him? 

“Are you ok, Jimin-ah?” Namjoon asked, his eyes wide as he gently touched Jimin’s shoulder. 

Their friends were looking at them. They couldn’t talk about this now, maybe tonight or tomorrow they will but not now. 

Taking a deep breath in, Jimin smiled, “I am. Congrats on the job offer, sunflower. I’m so proud of you.”

Those words stung Jimin like thorns on roses and once again he was faced with the fact that Namjoon would be leaving him. 

pack your bags leave it all for a country far away the job that you’d been dreaming of was calling

Namjoon had tears in his eyes when he spoke, “Thank you. Let’s talk about it later?”

Somehow the night progressed painfully slow. Neither Jimin or Namjoon spoke much and soon enough the two were saying good night in the parking lot. Their kisses were slow and sad, tears mixing together. 

“Let’s talk about my job offer later this week? It’s pretty late." 

"That sounds like a plan.” Jimin said quietly, hugging Namjoon tightly. He took a deep breath and gathered up his courage, “And Namjoon hyung?”

“Yeah?”

“I love you.”

“I love you too, Jimin.”

It wasn’t the end, but it felt like they were nearing a goodbye. 

He was trying to ignore the upcoming conversation with Namjoon by taking extra care of his plants. It was time for most of them to be watered anyways so extra care and a little propitiating was a good thing to throw himself into. 

If tears weren’t so salty then maybe he would’ve used his tears to water them instead of tap water. 

Taking care to measure out the amount of fertilizer to add to the water, he tried not to focus on Namjoon.

Namjoon. 

had to kiss a lot of frogs ‘till you finally came along but now we don’t have a lot of time to work with

He was such a wonderful boyfriend. In many ways, it felt like Namjoon had slotted into Jimin’s perfectly. Jimin treasured their relationship so much and now? 

Would the

Please log in to read the full chapter