Mood Swings

Mood Swings
Please log in to read the full chapter

Kara has had enough.

For the past several weeks she had been so patient, so understanding but there's only so much one can take, and before she knew it, she snapped, screaming in rage. Cat, who had been so shocked at the outburst, had cried.

Kara felt guilty almost instantly but her anger and frustration had overshadowed the need to comfort her now sobbing wife. "I need to go." Were her parting words and without waiting for a reply from Cat, she left.

And that is how Kara found herself at her sister-in-law's bar at two in the morning, drinking herself away as she ranted to her friends.

"I don't understand Kara, what exactly happened?" Maggie asked worriedly, running her hands up and down on Kara's back soothingly. She knew the couple had their arguments but seeing Kara's distraught face and how she was downing her drink as if it was water, Maggie assumed it was that serious.

"It's just...I'm so tired." Kara sighed weakly, her shoulders slumping in defeat. "Cat she's...her mood swings are driving me crazy."

"She's always been like that, what's new?" Winn snorted, his chuckle abruptly dying at Kara's glare. "I-I mean, n-n-not that she's, uh, well, she's not-

"We all know Cat could sometimes be...difficult," James spoke up, patting Winn's shoulder to stop him from his stuttering. "But that's-

"No, no." Kara shook her head, waving her hands dismissively. "Difficult is one way of putting it. This...this is different...so different. God, we are arguing every single day and half of the time I don't even know what we're arguing about." She bit her lip, tears forming in her eyes. "But still I try, you know? I apologize even if I know I didn't do anything wrong. I always try to make it up to her, to make her the happiest but lately she's been so, so mean I feel like she genuinely hates me." She should be angry, really, but at the moment all she could feel was pain, her heart aching at the thought that after seven years of being together, her biggest fear was coming true: Cat seemed to finally had enough of her.

"She gets mad at me for the simplest of things it's ridiculous! I made her breakfast this morning only for her to throw it all away, said it was making her sick!"

It shouldn't be such a big deal and oftentimes Kara would be the first to give in, apologize and woo Cat just so they'd be okay. "And just this evening she'd gotten so angry at me because of my perfume. My perfume! Can you believe her?" She sobbed, her words now slightly slurred due to the alcohol. She continued ranting about how Cat had been so unfair to her all the while wiping her face with the back of her hand as her tears poured out simultaneously with her words. It was embarrassing and she would probably regret all of it come morning.

"T-The worst part? I feel so damn guilty, knowing that she's all alone at home right now, upset because I-I screamed and said all those terrible things to her and oh God, she cried and instead of comforting her, here I am!" Kara hiccuped and her friends exchanged worried glances, not used to having seen Kara this upset and learning that Cat, who rarely or probably never, cried, just means that it was a very serious argument indeed.

"Is she...maybe, having problems at work?" Winn suggested, "I mean, it's not fair to take her anger out on you but you know how Cat is...and--

"No, work is fine actually." James interrupted. "Other than the usual bickering with Lois, Cat is just...herself."

Kara groaned, feeling completely helpless. She took another huge swig of her drink before signaling Maggie for another bottle to which her sister-in-law responded with a disapproving look, "I think you had enough Kara." A single bottle was often enough to knock Kara down but here she was, drowning to what was probably her third.

"Please?" Kara pleaded, giving her best puppy look. "Just this time."

Maggie rolled her eyes but turned to get Kara her drink. "Just this time." She repeated sternly and Kara nodded gratefully.

"Wait, wait, where is Alex anyway?" Kara interrupted, her eyes lazily eyeing the room. It was weird not seeing her sister there tonight when normally, she'd be the first to comfort Kara.

Maggie shrugged, "She's with Cat."

"Oh."

"Yeah. Cat called her earlier and she left to check on her."

Kara felt guilty once again as she was reminded of her latest fight with Cat but she willed herself to stay put, let Cat be the one to come to her for once. "Okay." While Alex checking up on Cat instead of her had of course stung a little bit, it at least had put her at ease knowing that Cat wasn't alone.

"Speaking of," Maggie perked up and Kar

Please log in to read the full chapter