Just Sleep Already

Just Sleep Already
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Just ing Sleep Already. 

 

"Give me a couple more minutes, Li," Jennie says, her adept fingers skillfully pinpointing every key she needed to press on the keyboard while her eyes are glued to the screen of her computer. 

 

"I've given you more than a couple minutes. You have to get some sleep now, Jen."

 

The keys continued clacking, and Lisa was sure that Jennie was again lost in a trance.

 

She's long noticed how Jennie forgets to tether herself to the Earth whenever she's in her zone. Nights like this, when everyone and everything is in silence and she's left in an alien world with just herself and her work? She'd be completely gone. It's almost like she closes off every human sense of hers -- hearing's out, sight's distracted, touch's busy, taste and smell are completely ignored.

 

The worst part is that not even Lisa is spared from these. 

 

But Lisa never thought of it as a bad thing. She thought of it as quite mesmerizing, actually. To see someone so passionate about her work like that, to see how she glows with joy, to almost physically see the gears inside her head turn until it reaches that that produces that shine in her eyes. Lisa found it amusing, so much so that at times she spends parts of her day just watching Jennie, observing every quirk of her body, her mannerisms, and what-nots. 

 

Even she gets lost in it. Even though she's not in her space, Lisa gets lost in Jennie's haze.

 

"You asked for a couple of minutes, I gave you five," Lisa straightens herself from leaning on the door and drags her feet towards Jennie's table. She makes sure that her slippers clack and make sounds against the wood despite it being fuzzy and soft. "Enough."

 

"No, no, no, no. I swear, it's just... just a few more- AGH!" Lisa picks the girl up from her swivel chair bridal style. 

 

Lisa needed the girl to get complete hours of much-needed sleep. Keeping her fed and snacking well throughout the day was already hard enough, making the girl get some rest is another thing. Lisa won't allow yet another late night's sleep in their household, it's enough eyebags for this week. 

 

"You're coming to bed with me, like it or not."

 

"Lili, I swear! Unhand me!"

 

"Nuh-uh, you'd need to divorce me to get my hands off of you."

 

"I just needed to finalize the design and-"

 

"And?! There's more?!," Lisa stops at her march toward their shared bedroom to look at Jennie in shock. "No more."

 

No, no more. Lisa scoffs at herself. It's way past bedtime curfew and she doesn't want to rest without Jennie but she's sleepy and she wants to lay in her bed with Jennie's warmth in her arms because the room's always too cold without the smaller girl in it and Lisa may or may not have had enough. 

 

"Your pouting is cute but it won't work this time around, Jen."

 

Lisa reaches the bedroom and uses her feet to peel the covers up before she puts Jennie down to sit on them. Then she pulls the tie from the girl's hair, massages the scalp a little bit, and finally fluffs her hair out. 

 

She sets the lamp on Jennie's night table into a dimmer setting. Now it was just the stars visible from their glass walls that reflected in the room along with the dim lights. Lisa also turns on the alien-shaped diffuser and lined up all of the girl's preferred lip balms on her side.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter