beach and bars.

between reality & figment

little trigger warning for this oneshot. it might cause discomfort because there will be mention of blood, euthanasia, and other uncomfortable stuff!

 

///

 

Under the moon, stars, and dark night skies; the streets of San Junipero were busy and bustling as usual, with vintage cars passing by full of people laughing and talking to each other, just simply having a good time. A lot of people were walking towards their destined destination or without aim, bumping with one another, some were leaning against the wall of a fading building with lit cigarettes between their fingers, and some were just simply staying inside establishments to do their business. Mostly to have fun, to relax, to forget harsh realities.

 

Because it was San Junipero. Where all people could freely have fun without worrying about anything.

 

And among the countless people roaming around the town, Yujin belonged there. She was counted in those numbers but unlike most people there who were partying all night and trying to the person they find attractive — Yujin mostly stayed out of the busiest and most suffocating part of the town, still preferred to stay in her little bubble.

 

However, this must be a different week. Yujin wanted to get out of her comfort zone. She had already wasted too much time hiding away from other different experiences of life.

 

(Actually, her usual arcade was suddenly packed by people then the library was down for some reason and so, she finally took it as a sign to do something else beside spending her hours playing arcade games that she wasn’t really good at and loitering around the library to find some good fiction to read.)

 

So, Yujin just found herself waddling over the noisiest and busiest area of the town, with her heart beating along with the muffled loud beats of the song that was getting blasted from inside this popular club a few meters away from her. She was already getting nervous but she braced herself up and took a deep breath.

 

She awkwardly settled on the side, shakily fixing her glasses that were perched on her nose bridge. She was hesitating, yes. She just needed to muster a little courage and then march down inside the popular place in San Junipero, ‘Eyes On Me’. To see if she was missing out from the hype, and to… experience something else too that she hadn’t dared to even do before.

 

Yujin looked at the side and spotted a couple making out at the narrow alley which made her yelp and jolt up, walking away from that particular spot with a burning face. Seeing things like that in person was making Yujin feel off. Should she get used to seeing stuff like that? She wasn’t just used to things.

 

She found herself by a television shop, and leaned against the glass wall for a while, her keen eyes roaming around to observe people. These people who were different from her, or no… these were normal people. Yujin was the only one who was different from them anyway.

 

Playing with the sleeves of her button up shirt, Yujin mused around. Thinking if she should change her outcast-like outfit to something modern and trendy like these guys were wearing? Much flashier and sparkling, in contrast to Yujin’s boring tank top tucked into a knee length shorts, with button up shirt. However, Yujin had no confidence to do so, and she would probably look ridiculous in those.

 

Yujin’s eyes gazed at the y convertible car that passed by, thinking that she would get one soon. A fiery blue one, convertible as well so whenever she drove, fresh air would hit her face and let her hair flow against the wind.

 

Soon after, her gaze strayed to the establishment anyway, booming with music and rainbow lights everywhere that lit up the whole place, enticing people to go inside but instead of pulling Yujin in, it was making her step away more — intimidated. She resisted the urge and stared for a little while. Just needed a little courage to enter it.

 

Across the road, a woman was marching away, with a guy following her almost desperately.

 

“Come on, Minjoo,” The guy called, and finally caught up with the woman who he was following and already pleading at the moment he saw her straying around the town. “We still have more time to do something.” He cooed, and held her arm to prevent her from walking away.

 

Minjoo, who had her brows furrowed, immediately retracted her arm away from the guy’s gentle hold. She finally faced the persistent guy and gave him a forced smile, “Hyunjin, I already told you ‘no’.” She snarled in a suppressed annoyed tone.

 

Hyunjin didn’t know how to back down though, looking almost desperate as he took a step forward, giving Minjoo his puppy eyes which didn’t really affect the latter even in the slightest. “You still have a few more hours, let’s use it.” He said seductively with a smirk on his lips but Minjoo wasn’t amused.

 

Sliding her fingers against her curled beige hair, Minjoo gave Hyunjin a smug smirk before firing back, “I’m already using it.” She emphasized before strutting inside the club, blatantly ignoring the guy who still tried to follow her like a puppy.

 

Yujin saw the little commotion and scratched her head, but she finally got enough courage to enter anyway. It helped when she learned from a passerby that there were arcade games there at the side of the club so with hesitance, she carefully went inside the place that was very strange and unfamiliar to her.

 

She almost looked too goofy when she entered, looking like a lost kid in the sea of dancing and partying crowds. It terrified her a little bit. She immediately searched for the arcade area and thank heavens, it was just at the corner so she skipped towards there, almost bumping into a tipsy woman who hissed at her when their shoulders accidentally brushed.

 

Yujin could only murmur an apology in a small voice before finally settling in front of the machine, hastily fishing her hand inside her pocket to get some coins then inserting it inside the slot. The game started to function and Yujin started to happily play, smashing buttons and controlling the joystick. She almost got lost into her own world, the music muffled in her ears.

 

She was having a fun time until a guy suddenly took an interest in her, watching her with sparkly eyes, and decided to hit up a small conversation as he took a sip from his drink. “That game is nice,” He said, his voice was masculine yet soft, but it was almost a slur to indicate that he was intoxicated. Yujin glanced from her shoulder. He continued to blabber, “The endings are different, when you played as a one player and two players. Good .”

 

Yujin gave out a forced smile, not wanting to look rude since this guy looked harmless anyway, and his eyes were too kind. However, she wasn’t into him, really. She had no interest.

 

When the guy realized that Yujin’s attention was on him, he lightly stretched his drink towards her direction and asked, “Want a sip?” He then waved. “Or maybe I can get you one, if you prefer.” He offered kindly.

 

Yujin shook her head timidly, “Ah, no, alcohol isn’t really… for me.” She directly answered before starting to fish for some coins again inside her pockets to look distracted, not wanting to initiate conversation once more.

 

The guy nodded understandingly but he was obviously slightly bewildered at what he learned, probably the first time he encountered someone who doesn’t drink alcohol? “Well, uhm, I’m Jihoon.” He introduced himself, probably to earn Yujin’s little trust. To make her more comfortable but it wasn’t really working so when he noticed that Yujin wasn’t putting her attention on him, he cleared and pointed at another game.

 

“How about you try this game? It’s great, I play it sometime while lingering around.” Jihoon said, and Yujin just smiled awkwardly but she was intrigued anyway, glancing at the game which was a car racing game. On the screen, it was showing a moving car, a fast one at that too.

 

However, when the car in the screen crashed on something and flung away, Yujin jolted in surprise and looked away, feeling her heart stop. “N-No, thanks, excuse me.” She hurriedly excused, hanging her head down low before walking away, leaving Jihoon there with a confused expression on his face, shrugging before playing the game by himself.

 

Yujin finally decided to try to order something but she chickened out to try alcohol and ordered soda instead before briskly walking towards a vacant seat, avoiding people at all costs. Thankfully, no one really cared about her. Though she did get some weird looks when she started to sip her soda.

 

She decided that maybe witnessing these kinds of stuff from the side was enough for that day, she was satisfied already with her non-alcoholic drink.

 

But then…

 

“I swear to God, Hyunjin, stop following me. I’m trying to have some fun here?” Minjoo was annoyed, she was very pissed because she couldn’t even properly have some good time because Hyunjin was following her around, and pleading with her to spend the night with him like she did last week.

 

Yet much to Minjoo’s demise, Hyunjin didn’t know when to give up and accept rejection, he still got in Minjoo’s way. “Come on, Minjoo. We had a great time last week and I’m hopeful that we—”

 

Minjoo cut him off, “Well, sorry to crush your hope then but it’s just a one time thing so please, leave me alone?” She was getting impatient and glanced around, until she met gazes with this particular loner at the side of the club, also eyeing her curiously.

 

She took the chance and walked towards the table, and somehow, Minjoo could see little panic in the stranger’s eyes as she approached, then waved happily at her before sitting down beside her as if they were best friends, even daring to pull the struck girl for a hug.

 

“Just go along with the flow, yeah? Agree to whatever I’m saying, help a girl out.” Minjoo whispered to the stranger’s ear before pulling away with a delighted smile.

 

On the other hand, Yujin was panicking because a pretty girl suddenly made her way towards her, sat down beside her, and hugged her as if they were long-time friends. She was malfunctioning at the sudden situation she was put in, couldn’t even properly process what the pretty woman was instructing her until a man suddenly sat down across them, scratching his chin.

 

“One more night with me. I’ll leave you alone. We still have two more hours to have some fun.” The guy said with a smile, persuading her.

 

Minjoo clicked her tongue and snapped her fingers, “Look, Hyunjin. I’m with a friend, okay? I should catch up with her first,” She started to reason out, and top-notch acting. She glanced at the silent girl before turning to him again, leaning in a little. “I really, really need to talk and catch up with her because she’s sick. She has four months left to live.” She suddenly added.

 

It didn’t catch Yujin off-guard though, suddenly got the memo and smoothly lied through her teeth, “Only three, actually. I’m already having a hard time breathing, might even last less.” She answered to make the pretty woman’s lie much more believable.

 

Minjoo gave her a satisfied look, and gave Hyunjin a pointed look, “So please, I would appreciate it if you would leave us two alone for quite a while. I really want to have some fun with her before she passes.” She said, her voice was small and pleading.

 

With a purse on his lips, Hyujin sighed and stood up, bringing his beer with him and gave the awkward girl an apologetic look, “Sorry to hear about your situation, I do hope you’ll get better though,” He said.

 

Yujin smiled understandingly at him and nodded slightly to gesture her gratitude. “Thank you, I’ll try to take more lungfuls of air to last longer in this world.” She added another alibi and the guy was convinced, nodding and gave the woman beside her another glance before walking away, leaving them alone.

 

Both of them released a relieved sigh, and looked at one another, bursting into chuckles. Minjoo was impressed and very grateful, staring at the woman in front of her with intrigued foxy eyes. “Why, thank you for going along, he’s such a pain in the .” She said, rolling her eyes when he was mentioned once more.

 

Yujin just giggled, taking a sip from her soda. “Glad to help in some way, I feel useful.” She replied with a smile, she couldn’t take her gaze off away from the pretty woman in front of her.

 

To be honest, she was pretty intimidated because she was wearing those flashy clothes like most girls were wearing here in the club, her beautiful hair was styled and looked so healthy, and goddamn, her smokey make-up looked so good that highlighted her sharp features even more. Easily one of the prettiest women Yujin had her eyes laid onto.

 

With a snort, Minjoo scooted closer to the girl and lent her hand for a handshake, Yujin immediately took it anyway out of respect and they shook hands. “I really appreciate your help there,” She once again thanked her before introducing herself, “I’m Minjoo, by the way. Yours?” She asked, her piercing gaze not even averting from the person that was sitting beside her.

 

Yujin gave out a crooked smile, “Yujin.” She simply answered.

 

Minjoo nodded and crossed her creamy and slender legs, “Pretty name.” She genuinely complimented Yujin.

 

Yujin was taken aback at the sudden compliment and frantically fixed her glasses, moving her eyes away to break their eye-contact. “Y-Your name is way prettier though.” was all she could say.

 

“I love your little alibi earlier,” Minjoo said, and Yujin just nodded, glad that she helped. The woman then added with disgust in her face, “I just met him at Fiesta last week and spent a few hours with him but suddenly, he’s so obsessed… like? Ugh.” She looked very annoyed, shaking her head.

 

Yujin gave a little smile, “Happy to know I did well? Although I was taken aback.” She murmured before adding curiously, “Fiesta…?”

 

Minjoo was very surprised when Yujin mentioned that place with a questioning tone as if she didn’t know it. “You don’t know Fiesta?” She asked, and Yujin shook her head which made Minjoo giggle, leaning in a little bit closer to her. “It’s better if you do not know then.” She answered.

 

Yujin just uncomfortably shifted on her seat, nodding as she lightly tapped her fingers against the steel can of her drink.

 

Minjoo looked amused at her though, and her eyes lowered down to stare at Yujin’s hands that were gripping on her canned soda before turning back to gaze at her face. “I’ve never seen you here before. First time?” asked Minjoo in a small voice but loud enough for Yujin to hear despite the loud music that was blasting from the gigantic speakers at the front. It was almost ridiculous to ask because the canned soda gave Minjoo the way already but a little conversation would do.

 

Coughing, Yujin nodded timidly, “I guess so. In this place, yes. In this town? No, I’m loitering around the less crowded part.” replied the woman and took a sip from her can, just realizing it was already empty.

 

Minjoo was even more amused, leaning closer to stare down at Yujin with a sweet smile, “Shucks, you’re missing out, Yujin.” She said before standing up, “Come on, I’ll treat you to a drink.” She urged, and grabbed Yujin’s hand to drag her to the bar counter.

 

And for some reason, Yujin let Minjoo drag her like a rag doll towards the counter anyway, sitting at the long chair as Minjoo ordered something. “Hey, Grumpy, two strawberry cocktails please.” She said, and that made Yujin realize that she was probably a regular here.

 

The bartender grumbled something under her breath and glared at Minjoo, “One of these days, I won’t serve you any , Minjoo.” She huffed but she started to make Minjoo’s order anyway.

 

Minjoo just laughed at her and waved her off, “Whatever you say, Hyewon.” She mumbled before turning her attention to Yujin who was awkwardly sitting by the counter, playing with her fingers as she looked around the place. Her stare lingered for a little longer and her lips. “Is strawberry good?”

 

Yujin turned to her, looking like an innocent puppy. She nodded before replying, “Yes. I like strawberries.” She could only answer, which made Minjoo giggle, and winked at her, which surprised her a bit.

 

“Good to know.” Minjoo said, and before they could interact more, Hyewon approached them with two pink cocktails in her hands, sliding it on the counter before continuing her job. “Thanks, Hye!” shouted Minjoo before handing one to Yujin.

 

Yujin found the drink pleasing to look at but she never really had one before so she was hesitant, knowing that there might be alcohol mixed in here. She sniffed it and it smelled so good, strawberries and… the strong smell of alcohol. Here it goes.

 

Minjoo noticed her hesitation once she took a sip so she smiled at her and encouraged her to take a sip, “Promise, it’s good and fruity. Just have a taste.” She softly murmured and that did the trick, Yujin took a deep breath and lightly sipped on her drink, her face scrunching up a little which made Minjoo guffaw. “First time drinking too?”

 

Yujin her lower lip and glanced at her, “Definitely not… but it’s been a while so I was quite hesitant, especially since I know how bitter it tasted.” She murmured, and took another sip, much longer this time. The fruity taste of strawberry was there but she could still taste the alcohol well which made her grimace, especially when she swallowed. It burned . “It was great though. Just not really for me.” She added timidly.

 

Giggling, Minjoo took a shot and leaned against the counter, propping her chin on top of her palm, her whole attention on this peculiar woman. For some reason, she was glad that she stumbled upon this woman that just stood among the others here. Maybe it was because of the way she dressed? Her awkward yet charismatic aura? Her pretty yet handsome face? Drinking soda while she was in a club?

 

Who knew? Minjoo was intrigued and drawn.

 

“Do you live here?” Minjoo asked meaningfully and it must be something personal.

 

Yujin glanced at her, “Uhh, not really.” She awkwardly answered.

 

Minjoo’s stare was making Yujin sweat and nervous for some reason, it was enticing and too… intense. Minjoo nodded, her gaze not averting even the slightest, as if Yujin was the most interesting thing to look at. “Been around for a while now, yes?” Yujin nodded timidly so Minjoo left at that, tilting her head a little. “Your glasses suit you a lot, you look good in them. Do you have bad eyesight?” She diverted the topic.

 

Yujin blushed a little, fiddling at her glasses for a little bit before answering, “Well, no, uh — I used to. I just thought it would fit in this outfit too.” She mumbled out her reply which made Minjoo hum and smiled brightly at her, her eyes scanning her from head to toe. For some reason, her gaze burned Yujin.

 

“You look so good.” Minjoo blurted out a sincere compliment but Yujin couldn’t accept it easily.

 

Yujin could only let out an airy laugh, “Don’t I look so goofy? I look like a loser while everyone here is wearing trendy and flashy cloth—” A finger was pressed against her lips which instantly made her shut up.

 

Minjoo smiled softly at her, retreating her finger back. “You look good. Very unique, standing among the sea of these celeb-wannabes.” She softly replied, and Yujin went red because of that. Because it felt so sincere.

 

But then, a particular song started to boom from the speakers and that made Minjoo squeal, looking like an excited kid as she tugged at Yujin’s sleeves. “Let’s dance! This is a good song to dance to!” She yelled, and tried to drag Yujin with her but the latter tried her best not to get dragged, scared.

 

“I-I, I don’t know how to dance. Please, you may go to the dance floor.” Yujin said, trying to sit back on the chair but Minjoo gave her a pout.

 

“You’re going to leave me alone? Come on now, it’s going to be fun!” Minjoo insisted and Yujin was too weak anyway, Minjoo managed to drag her in the middle of the dance floor and she could only awkwardly stand there while these people that were surrounding her were dancing happily.

 

“Dance freely, Yujin!” Minjoo shouted through the loud music, already started to sway and move her limbs gracefully so that Yujin couldn’t help but to stare.

 

“I’m not a good dancer, Minjoo.” Yujin whispered, and gulped, staring at Minjoo who was dancing happily, and freely.

 

Minjoo then fluttered her eyes open, and started to grind down along with the music, maintaining eye-contact with Yujin as she danced. And for some reason, it was getting harder to breathe. The music started to muffle in her ear and it was getting suffocating.

 

But then, when she looked around, it felt like everyone was staring at them — at her. Judgy stares, and disgusted looks. Her vision started to blur and it was getting harder to breathe, memories from the past started to haunt and god, she needed to get out of there.

 

With ragged breaths, Yujin immediately fled away, making Minjoo confused, yelling at her name as she tried to follow the taller woman.

 

Yujin was marching down, desperately wanting to be out of that place, not even bothering to apologize whenever she would bump into people. She finally reached the back exit, taking in a lungful of air when she got out. She just then realized that it was raining when she felt a cold sensation wetting her hair and shoulders.

 

She looked up at the dark skies, droplets of rain water started to gently land on her face and glasses. Only then she realized that she was getting too wet and took a step back to the part where there was enough roof to cover her, she leaned against the wall near the door and bit her lower lip, trying to calm down. God, she almost lost it.

 

The door was harshly opened and it spat out Minjoo who was worried. Her eyes lit up when she saw Yujin, slowly approaching her with a soft sigh, concern swirling around her honey orbs. “Hey,” She gently called, standing beside her.

 

Yujin forced out a smile, moved that Minjoo still followed her outside. “Hey…” She whispered back.

 

“Is everything good?” Minjoo asked her, and Yujin shook her head.

 

“Yeah, it’s just…” Yujin pursed her lips together, pausing for a moment before continuing, “It’s my first time dancing and all of that.” She murmured, playing with her fingers once more.

 

Minjoo knew that Yujin was partly lying, tilting her head to look at her carefully, “Are you really? You suddenly bolted out of the dancefloor looking like a terrified horse.” She lightly joked to make the atmosphere less tense.

 

Yujin let out a breathless laugh and stared at the edge of the roof, watching droplets of water drop and hit the floor, combining with the little puddle of water that formed in there. It helped her calm down. It was just too much, the stares and everything.

 

God, this place wasn’t really just for her.

 

“It’s… the nosy gazes,” Yujin finally revealed and Minjoo scooted closer, watching her closely. “It’s overwhelming to get watched like that, it felt like they were giving us judgy stares too…” She said, and bit her lower lip.

 

Minjoo’s brow twitched a little, “How come?”

 

Yujin’s lips tugged upwards for a forced and awkward failed smile. “Probably because there were two women… dancing with one another. Not really a pleasant sight for them, I guess.” She whispered in a small voice.

 

Minjoo huffed and shook her head a little, “Oh, ‘em, really.” She cursed which surprised Yujin, and the shorter woman snorted at her. “Don’t give a to those gazes. Just live however you want, spend time however you want it to be. Don’t let those people ruin everything.” She said, and spread her arms wide with a smile.

 

“Yujin, this is San Junipero! We shouldn’t give a single about other people!” Minjoo told her with a breathless giggle before reaching for the taller woman’s face, wiping the droplets of water off her cheek, and also wiped her glasses for her with a grin. “We’re here to enjoy and live our life like how we wanted to, care a little less with those people next time, yeah?”

 

Yujin took a deep breath and nodded lightly with a small smile, “I’ll try.”

 

Minjoo giggled, and pinched her cheek, “Do it, not try.” She murmured before scooting closer to Yujin, as if she was seeking for more warmth because it was chilly outside because of the rain.

 

There was a beat of silence before Yujin decided to speak, “Everything is just too new to me. I don’t know how to react sometimes.” She sighed, placing her hands inside the pockets of her shorts.

 

Minjoo glanced at her with a gentle smile on her red lips, “Why, may I ask?”

 

Yujin gave her a tight smile, “Caged by my family and everything. Never really got the chance to explore and experience other things. They would fume if they even learned I tried to enter a bar.” She answered with a little shiver because of the chills, and because of the past memories.

 

Minjoo’s gaze on her softened, and leaned in a little closer, “What are other things you’ve never done before?” asked the woman softly.

 

Yujin her lower lip, “A lot.” She sighed, “I really lacked experience and everything. In my entire life, I’ve been caged and not allowed to do a lot of things so yeah,” She added and sniffled, looking around. “I basically don’t have the word ‘fun’ in my vocabulary.”

 

Minjoo did not speak for a few seconds, staring at Yujin intently, as if there was an idea forming in her head. She then leaned in a little closer which freaked Yujin but the latter stayed frozen in her spot, eyeing Minjoo. With a smirk, Minjoo tilted her head, and for some reason, her foxy eyes were much more… spell-binding and enticing.

 

“I can help you experience some other… things,” Minjoo suddenly whispered in a low sultry tone that sent shivers down Yujin’s spine. “That is, if you’ll allow me.” She added in a seductive tone, and Yujin obviously flinched when she felt a warm palm resting on her bare knee.

 

Minjoo’s hand was slithering on her knee, caressing it before moving it upwards on her thigh. Minjoo was wearing a very seductive and sweet smile as she stared down at Yujin, drowning in her orbs. “We still have two hours before midnight.” She reminded her in a suggestive tone with a grin.

 

She was enticed, it felt like she was a moth getting attracted to the fire named Minjoo. It was dangerous, it was burning her whole slowly and deliciously the more she got nearer.

 

This was bad, this was not good at all.

 

Yujin still had no courage to reach for that burning fire, and so, she pulled away and stood up, warily glancing at Minjoo before looking away. “I, I… I’ve never…” She stammered and closed her eyes nervously, “I have a fiance.” She blurted out randomly. “Her name is Wonyoung. And she’s a great girl.”

 

Minjoo looked at her, almost gaping at her. She then looked around before landing her eyes back to the nervous taller woman. “Is that… fiance, Wonyoung, here in San Junipero?” asked Minjoo, scratching her chin, slightly disappointed because of the rejection but no harm done.

 

Yujin shook her head, “No… I, it’s complicated,” She said and finally had the guts once more to meet Minjoo’s gaze, apologetic. She was a coward. She wanted it, she wanted Minjoo’s burning touch but she had no guts to let it graze over her.

 

The moment their eyes met across the club, she was instantly attracted but Yujin still lacked courage. She couldn’t do this, not even when she was in San Junipero. She couldn’t, as much as she wanted to. She lacked courage and strength.

 

Yujin clenched her fists, very regretful for pushing Minjoo’s advances but she would’ve freaked out badly if she didn’t jump away from the igniting fire. “I’m… really sorry,” She apologized, which amused Minjoo.

 

“For?” asked the woman with beige hair, a smile on her lips despite getting disappointed. She didn’t want to force Yujin to do something she wasn’t ready for. Maybe she did a lot because Yujin was obviously overwhelmed.

 

Yujin’s eyes went soft, “For rejecting your advances… It’s just… I’ve never done this and, and,” She started to stammer again and that made Minjoo giggle at her, standing up too.

 

“And because of your fiance?” asked Minjoo playfully with a meaningful smile, trying to erase the little tension.

 

Yujin stared at her for a moment and looked away, “Y-Yes,” She faced Minjoo with apologetic eyes. “I’m really sorry.” She reached for Minjoo’s hands, and the latter was taken aback, shaking her head and taking her hands away.

 

“Hey, hey, I get it, stop apologizing.” Minjoo softly cooed at her, reassuring her that everything was fine. “I won’t force you to do something that you’re not ready for, alright? I thought you would just appreciate my offer but it’s alright,” She said, raising her hands up. “Well, I’ll have my own fun now there. It’s nice meeting you here in San Junipero, Yujin.” She then said genuinely with a small smile on her luscious lips.

 

Yujin her lower lip, “Yes… me too. I, I should go now.” She mumbled out in a small, weak voice. They shared a nod and Yujin walked past Minjoo, her fists still clenching on her side as she walked but a few steps after — she halted, frozen in her tracks.

 

She was regretting it. And suddenly, there was courage. It was a once in a lifetime offer and Yujin wasted it! Minjoo was a very beautiful woman who was willing to give Yujin a very memorable experience, even if it was just in San Junipero.

 

Turn back, go to Minjoo and tell her that you wanted her. That you wanted to take her offer.

 

Taking a deep breath, Yujin turned her heels back but she was disappointed when Minjoo was nowhere to be seen anymore, fleeing away to find a much better companion than Yujin.

 

Yujin slid her fingers through her hair in frustration, heaving out a sigh. “Your fault, Yujin.” She murmured to herself, shaking her head in disappointment before walking away.

 

Next week. She will find Minjoo next week and ask if the offer still stands.

 

///

 

One week later…

 

Yujin stood before the mirror, eyeing her reflection intently, in a deep thought. Her fingers fiddled the tips of her hair, feeling suddenly conscious of her looks. Her hair was disheveled, reaching past her shoulders, and it was plain black. She still looked like a loser that she was last week but this was her signature look so she didn’t really care much.

 

However, knowing she would meet Minjoo later… she wanted a change. Something that would certainly catch Minjoo’s eyes at first glance, something daring, something seductive. She wanted to impress Minjoo.

 

So, with one last deep breath and murmur of encouragement for herself. She changed her outfit, and when Yujin looked at the mirror, she once again saw herself but this time — instead of her previous clothes, she was wearing a sundress that perfectly fit her body, her hair tied up into a neat bun and bangs slicked at the side; not just that, her lips were red, and wearing heels too.

 

Yujin eyed herself in the mirror, pouting her lips painted with red lipstick. Too girly, it was just not her. She never really wore dresses, she looked good but there was just something off when she twirled around and the hem of the dress flew gently.

 

Releasing an unsatisfied puff of breath, Yujin changed her outfit and this time, it was much more daring and seductive. Fitted black dress that reached above the knee, curled hair, dangling earring hoops, and much more smokey and heavier make-up. Experimentally, she gave her reflection a fierce look and started to dance seductively but stopped midway, blushing and shaking her head as she grumbled something under her breath, “God, it doesn’t fit me.”

 

And another outfit change, this time — she was wearing a dark suit. A little bit more masculine, she looked like those secret agents in televisions. Her make-up was darker, her hair was slicked and tied into a low bun. She looked professional rather than daring.

 

She bit her lower lip and her shoulders went slump, almost giving up. Shaking her head, she changed her outfit once more, not really satisfied with the change of her look. She decided it would be better to dress like herself, like a sore loser that would stand among the crowd; like Minjoo had said to her that night.

 

She stood once more in the mirror. She was wearing her glasses, a beanie on her head, a baggy shirt with denim blazer, shorts, and old worn sneakers. “Much better.” She was very comfortable with that too.

 

And so, after one last look and nod to herself, she stepped outside and walked down the familiar pathway to San Junipero’s busiest street.

 

On the other side, Minjoo was already there, trying to shove Hyunjin off because he kept tailing behind her once more, begging for her to spend the night with him. To waste such time? Meh, Minjoo would love to indulge herself with something else, with someone else.

 

“I already said to off, didn’t I?” Minjoo hissed at Hyunjin who was still determined to follow her around like a dog but the woman didn’t appreciate some annoying animal trailing her for the rest of the night and killing her mood.

 

Hyunjin softly reached for her arm, “Just one more night, yeah?”

 

Minjoo yanked her arm away from his disgusting hold, and spat at him, “Oh seriously, don’t piss me off.” She then pushed him away with a little bit of force so he stumbled backwards but regained his balance. “Stop following me or I’ll seriously throw a beer bottle at your head. Just go find some other girls, there are a lot in here.” She huffed, rolling her eyes as she walked down inside Eyes On Me.

 

Thankfully, Hyunjin didn’t follow her anymore so Minjoo got to release a sigh of relief as she made a beeline towards the bar counter, leaning against the countertop, thinking of what to drink but a guy swiftly moved beside her, eyeing her.

 

“Waiting for someone?” asked the stranger.

 

Minjoo took a quick look, tall and handsome but not her type. Not the person she had been expecting and wanting at all. He was not a breath of fresh air like her.

 

“No, not really,” Minjoo answered, the corner of her lip twitching. Maybe it was a lie. She was waiting for someone, but that someone was probably not going to step inside this kind of place anymore anyway.

 

He smirked at her, he looked friendly and kind, though his smile had little malice — Minjoo had quite expected it anyway, it was always like that. “Oh? Can I buy you a drink then?” He then asked, and Minjoo just smiled as a response, not really refusing because she wanted it anyway.

 

Better focus her attention on him.

 

Across the dancefloor, a wary figure stepped inside, looking like a lost puppy. She didn’t look like she belonged there, which was probably true but she still went anyway, determined to find a familiar person in the crowded place. Despite the loud music almost breaking her eardrums, the smell of smoke and beers that kept burning her nose, and the heat — Yujin roamed around, her eyes darting in each corner, in hopes to find that woman who turned her world upside down in one night.

 

And there she was. Yujin finally spotted her by the counter, with a guy. She nervously her lower lip, and gulped, not liking the swirl of little jealousy forming in her chest when she saw Minjoo happily talking with the handsome guy but she stayed still. She did not run away and stared, until her stared probably burned.

 

Minjoo was having a great time, although this guy was a little bit boring, she felt relaxed bobbing her head up and down to the beat of the song as she took occasional sips from her drink, from time to time responding to the guy in front of her.

 

“Well, they said it was hereditary bull. Got rotting wounds on my feet and all of that.” He started to blabber and Minjoo could only half heartedly give out some comments.

 

“That ,” She said as she lazily looked around the place and there was when her eyes met with these familiar innocent, naive eyes. She paused, pursing her lips together.

 

Yujin gave her a smile and waved a little towards her direction.

 

However, Minjoo wasn’t too amused with her appearance. Maybe it was the disappointment last week when Yujin rejected her. She knew she shouldn’t have taken it by heart, she was used to it anyway, you couldn’t force someone to do something after all like she had said but…

 

“How about you? What’s your issue?” The guy spoke which made Minjoo realize that she was still with him. Her eyes didn’t avert from Yujin, still staring down with her across the room when she asked him.

 

“Let’s dance.” She murmured then finally looked at him, breaking their eye-contact as if she didn’t know Yujin at all. The guy was taken aback but he nodded anyway, and with a smirk, Minjoo reached for the guy’s hand and dragged him with her to the dancefloor, smirking when she caught Yujin’s surprised expression because she was probably expecting that Minjoo would walk towards her.

 

They danced and danced while Yujin could only watch them from the side, the smile that was present earlier in her lips were long gone, replaced with a hurt expression. What was she expecting anyway? Especially after her rejection.

 

She could only sit on the further corner of the bar, and Minjoo must be really trying to put her into the edge and had to take a seat at the table across from her, visibly flirting and drinking with the guy she was with.

 

Yujin ordered something from the counter, it was the cocktail that Minjoo made her try. She took a sip, eyeing Minjoo intently and glaring at the oblivious guy who was blabbering nonstop.

 

But then, halfway through, Minjoo finally tilted her head around to give her a look. Their eyes met for the second time that night. This time though, Minjoo held the eye-contact and even though Yujin’s heart was beating wildly, she did not hold back — staring deep down on Minjoo’s orbs as she took a slow sip from her drink.

 

Minjoo did the same, as she took a shot, she held the eye-contact. Her stares burned Yujin’s entire being, her entire soul. God, why was Minjoo’s foxy eyes sending flames into her system? It wasn’t good for Yujin’s health but she still craved it anyway.

 

But after a full minute of intense eye-contact, Minjoo broke it once more to tell the guy that she was going to go to the bathroom before standing up and gracefully strutting down towards the restroom, making sure to stare back once more at Yujin.

 

And for some reason, like she was enticed and hypnotized, Yujin stood up as well and followed Minjoo.

 

Silently, Yujin entered the restroom, a random girl exiting the red-lit dim bathroom of the club gave her a sticky look. She easily spotted Minjoo, the latter was washing her hands at the sink. They were alone.

 

Gulping thickly, Yujin went to settle beside her, nervously glancing at her from time to time but in the end, her gaze lowered down and landed on her shoe-cladded feet. “I don’t know how to do this…” Yujin murmured under her breath.

 

Minjoo halted her movements, turning to her with a slightly arched brow, “Do what?” She asked in a low tone.

 

Yujin shakily moved her eyes to look at Minjoo, her lower lip. “I wanted it, I still want it.” She continued, and Minjoo silently stared at her, slowly turning to face her properly and burn her down with her intense gaze. “But I don’t know how to… do it. I, I, can you just… make this easy for me?” She started to nibble her lower lip.

 

Minjoo stared at her, leaning against the sink, crossing her arms. “I’m afraid I do not know what you are talking about.” She answered with a small smug smirk on her lips but they both knew what Yujin was talking about. She was riling her up, teasing her to make Yujin spell out directly what she wanted.

 

Yujin faced Minjoo as well, staring down at her because despite Minjoo’s aura being bigger than Yujin’s awkward and sinking vibe, the latter was still taller in terms of height.

 

“Does your offer still stand?” whispered Yujin, not looking away from Minjoo’s tantalizing eyes.

 

Minjoo her teeth and her smirk went bigger, tilting her head a little as she scanned Yujin from head to toe. “It depends,” She mumbled out in a sultry tone, taking a step forward as she reached for the collar of Yujin’s blazer, gently caressing it as she watched Yujin’s throat bob up and down. “Are you up for a ride? Can you take it?” She whispered, her lithe fingers moving to snake on Yujin’s neck, grabbing her close.

 

Yujin gulped thickly as she nodded meekly, “Yes.” She answered firmly despite the waver in her voice, stunned at Minjoo’s sparkly orbs.

 

Minjoo smiled at her before tipping on her toes, reaching for Yujin’s ear to nip lightly on her earlobe then whispered. “Well, let me take you back to my place then.” She then leaned away, grasping Yujin’s wrist before giving her a bigger smile. “We only have an hour and a half left, let’s not waste it. Shall we?”

 

A few moments after, Yujin just found herself getting dragged by Minjoo out of the bathroom, out of the club, out of that place, not even bothering to go back to the guy who she was with to tell him that she was going to ditch him for Yujin. She made her hop in a convertible jeep which Yujin assumed was Minjoo’s. She was pleasantly surprised at the woman’s car choice because she thought she would be having a vintage Mustang, certainly not a big jeep like this.

 

They got out of San Junipero’s busy street, into a much more secluded place where there weren’t many people lingering around.

 

The air was cold, considering that it was night and Yujin could perfectly see the view of the night-life of the town and the fantastic view of the San Junipero beach. She wasn’t frequent on the beach since she was scared to go there alone at night, she couldn’t visit at days which was a shame.

 

Yujin was smiling already before she could even realize it then glanced at Minjoo who was focusing on driving, and Yujin was in awe of her beauty once more. There was a relaxed smile on Minjoo’s lips as she drove, and Yujin’s heart jumped when Minjoo stole a glance at her; their eyes meeting briefly yet it was so impactful.

 

Soon enough, they reached Minjoo’s place. It was almost located by the beach, it was by the shore and it offered a nice view of the sea. It was relaxing there, and Yujin couldn’t help but to look at her feet that were sinking onto the sand — she wasn’t able to resist to take off her shoes and let the cold sand cover her feet. She looked at where the part of the ocean meets the shore and walked closer there.

 

She smiled like a giggly little kid as she slowly took a step closer to the seawater, letting her feet get engulfed by the cold water which made her shiver a little.

 

Minjoo was standing behind her, watching her silently and fondly, “It seems like you never went to the beach.” She commented and Yujin turned her shoulders to look at her with a small smile.

 

“I’ve never gotten close like this to the sea here.” Yujin responded then lightly kicked her foot, giggling when the water splashed gently.

 

Minjoo was curious, “San Junipero is a beach town. You said you’ve been here for a while now though.” She pointed out, crossing her arms.

 

Yujin looked ahead of her, the view of the sea, the skies, the moon, and the stars. “I’m scared to go here alone.” She murmured sadly, a gloomy expression.

 

Minjoo did not ask, and just gently told her, “Let’s go inside, it’s getting cold too.”

 

With one last glance to the sea, Yujin followed Minjoo to the small house, and it was nice. The bungalow was wide, and there weren’t a lot of things. It was simple and small yet cozy, Yujin could already spot the bedroom. There were picture frames that caught her attention though, she slowly took one and saw a picture of seemingly younger Minjoo and someone who looked older. They shared a resemblance so it wouldn’t take a genius to realize that it was her mother.

 

“Nice picture,” Yujin commented fondly before putting the frame back to place, throwing a smile at Minjoo.

 

Minjoo slowly took off her jacket, smiling at her, “Thank you. It’s my favorite one with my mom.” She then draped it across the chair before giving Yujin a dangerous look. “Favor though, can you put the frame down? It kinda offs me if we do the deed. It feels like she’s watching us.” She said with a giggle.

 

Yujin snorted, and nodded, silently placing the frame down and Minjoo slowly walked towards her, eyeing her like a snake to its prey — slithering dangerously to trap her prey, Yujin, and devour her.

 

Minjoo slowly reached for her, her slender fingers moving to caress her nape and stared right down in Yujin’s orbs, as if she wanted to drown herself in those pools of honey. Yujin stayed still, letting Minjoo’s burning touches graze over her flesh, tingly. She did not pull away despite feeling so awfully nervous and excited at the same time.

 

Yujin reminded herself, she wanted it. She wanted this. She wanted Minjoo.

 

She was nervous because she had never done anything thrilling like this in her whole life before. She got an opportunity in the form of a beautiful and kind woman named Minjoo so she took it. She was anticipating, pushing the little fear and cowardice in the back of her heart.

 

But all of those negative feelings were replaced by something flaming and good when Minjoo asked for her permission through her foxy eyes, trying to search for some hesitation in Yujin’s dilated pupils as she tested the waters by slowly inching towards her face.

 

Yujin got the hint anyway, and nodded slowly. And she didn’t know where she got the courage though… but her hands s around Minjoo’s slim waist and pulled her closer until their bodies touched.

 

Something shifted in Minjoo’s eyes and there was when she pulled her closer and crashed their lips together for a scorching kiss.

 

Minjoo was ruthless, merciless, and did not take pity on Yujin as she kissed her deeply, passionately, and hungrily, almost unstoppable — clinging onto Yujin.

 

Yujin could only brave herself for the ride, responding to Minjoo’s hard kisses to tame her, grasping on Minjoo’s shirt tightly as they made out until Minjoo started to push her, as if she was leading her to somewhere. Yujin let her, weak from her kiss and completely under her spell.

 

Their lips were still connected when Minjoo pushed her into the bed, hovering over her as she continued to give her rough kisses, moving her jaw diligently to give Yujin the best kisses of her life. Yujin could only whimper in pleasure, moving her hand under Minjoo’s shirt.

 

Minjoo pulled away from the kiss to let Yujin breathe for a moment and to furiously peel Yujin’s clothes off her body. Yujin could even barely breathe, still in a daze until she felt Minjoo’s fingers desperately pulling her blazer off. She helped and also let Minjoo take off her shirt.

 

Minjoo started to undress as well, and Yujin’s shame suddenly vanished as she got distracted at the sight before her. “Before we continue,” started off Minjoo, panting lightly, hotly staring at Yujin. “Are you sure about this?” Her voice went softer, she asked permission for the second time.

 

Yujin’s heart warmed, she was moved that Minjoo was being considerate and everything but god, she needed this. She was so sure of this, she had never been this sure. So, she reached for Minjoo’s neck and pressed their lips together for a kiss as a response but Yujin still whispered against Minjoo’s lips, “Yes, I’m so sure of this, Minjoo. Never been this sure,” She pulled away for a moment to stare at her, eyes swirling in pure desire. “Take me.” She murmured hotly before crashing their lips again together.

 

Minjoo bit Yujin’s lower lip after that, her fingers lowering down to frantically fumble over her belt and shorts, almost desperate as Yujin for this moment.

 

It was a blur from then on.

 

///

 

Yujin stared at the ceiling of Minjoo’s house, and both were engulfed by comfortable silence as if there weren’t groans, little moans bouncing around the room prior minutes ago.

 

The silence was too strong to the point Yujin could hear the calm crashing waves outside, and Minjoo’s soft breathings, looking in a daze as well as Yujin. For Yujin though, she was trying to sink what just had happened.

 

But one thing was for sure, she enjoyed it quite a lot. Pleasurably good.

 

Yujin suddenly wondered when was the last time she ever felt that kind of pleasure and goodness in her little life, this was her first time to experience something like this though. She did not pry on it further, not in the moment to reminisce her pitiful sob back story and focused on what she had right now.

 

Minjoo was amazing, and she knew how to rile Yujin up, she knew what exactly made her tick, or maybe it was the fact that it was unfamiliar to Yujin so she easily reacted to each fluttery touch. Yujin’s mind was in a real frenzy earlier, Minjoo easily drove her insane, she drove her to the edge while clinging on to her desperately as if her life was on the line.

 

Minjoo did not mind it, she just wanted to give Yujin a good time. She wanted Yujin to feel.

 

And she easily succeeded thanks to her determined effort.

 

A few minutes passed by, and Yujin finally glanced at Minjoo, and the latter immediately felt it so she instantly glanced back until their eyes met. They shared a smile, and both turned to face each other, eyes still intact with one another.

 

“Thank you for this amazing experience,” Yujin croaked in a hoarse voice, tucking herself further in the thick sheets, blushing lightly as she was finally getting shy.

 

Minjoo giggled, and used her arm to hold her weight, propping the side of her head onto her palm as she stared down at the bashful Yujin. She gave the woman a fond look and reached for her face, tucking the stray strands behind her ear, Yujin just leaned into the touch. They were already comfortable with one another, they already did the deed so why would they be shy to show little affection and intimacy?

 

(But Minjoo was scared to admit that this was not just a one time thing driven by raw desire for one another.)

 

“At your service, another satisfied customer,” Minjoo joked with a grin. Yujin just chuckled lightly and buried half of her face on the blanket, liking how it smelt like Minjoo. “But are you sure that it was your first time with a girl?” asked the beige haired woman, playfully yet also curious.

 

Yujin blushed, and nodded timidly, “Yes. I’ve never done it before with a woman though I preferred them over men.” She started to blurt out, in a daze. Minjoo stared at her intently and suddenly, Yujin felt too silly feeling vulnerable like this to someone else. It had been a while since she opened this up, and there was still an uncomfortable feeling in her heart after she revealed her preference. “Never really tasted freedom in this kind of field as well…” She cleared and avoided the topic, “How about you?”

 

Minjoo gaped at her for a second before answering, slight hesitation in her eyes. “I… I just sleep with whoever I want. It’s all the same anyway, in the end, pleasure is all I gain.” She said in a gloomy tone.

 

It kinda puts Yujin off to talk about Minjoo’s life, so she didn’t ask much about it after. Yujin took a deep breath and slightly pulled out from the blanket, still feeling warm despite wearing no clothes underneath the sheets. Minjoo’s body heat helped though there was a gap between them.

 

“I’ve never really been with anyone, this is my first time. With a person.” Yujin finally revealed, and it felt like she was a sore loser saying that but Minjoo did not laugh or give her a judging look, but she looked confused. She chuckled to herself as if she was a whole joke.

 

“Here in town? Or…” asked Minjoo, her voice trailing off.

 

Yujin snorted at her, “No, like… this is my first time. In my whole life.” She murmured before her eyes turned playful. “Seems like you deflowered me.”

 

That made Minjoo guffaw, eyeing her in disbelief, “Are you for real now?” She asked and Yujin just nodded at her with a grin, her eyes sparkled in sincerity. Minjoo tilted her head a little, “You have a fiance. That great girl Wonyoung you mentioned?” She pointed out the obvious.

 

That was when Yujin’s smile faded, and her lips, gaze lowering down. “Very complicated. Never really had… real relationships and everything.” She whispered, and turned her attention back to Minjoo. “How about you though? I’m quite certain this is not your first time with a woman.” She said, and added, “But… I’ve seen you with boys too.”

 

Minjoo laughed softly, “I guess I go both ways,” She replied with a cheeky smile on her godly face. “Equal rights.” She exclaimed, her expression turning fierce which made them laugh.

 

After their laughter subdued, they stared at one another with smiles etched on their lips until Yujin asked, “How did you know…?” asked Yujin in a small voice, curious. “How did you know you also like women?”

 

Minjoo went silent, and her expression turned slightly gloomy once more. Yujin was about to say that it was okay if she didn’t want to answer but Minjoo already opened , “In my whole life, I thought I liked boys,” She murmured, and then gulped thickly before adding, “But I got married to a woman.”

 

That revelation caught Yujin off-guard but she stayed mum and let Minjoo speak, obviously in a daze as she continued to tell Yujin about some pieces of her life. “We got married not because of love, it was arranged. To help my mother.” She said, and her eyes strayed back to Yujin’s orbs and gave her a tight smile. “For convenience, and everything. She was nice. Chaewon was a nice woman. She made me realize that women can love women too.”

 

Yujin smiled at that, although it was a small one. “Is Chaewon here…?”

 

Minjoo immediately shook her head, and suddenly, tears started to form in her eyes, it was uncontrollable at this point. It had been a while since she last talked about Chaewon, and it was cutting up the healing wound. “No,” She murmured, and gritted her teeth, “She refused to go here, and passed over just like that.”

 

Minjoo felt her chest getting tighter as shame suddenly hit her as she continued to talk about her late wife to the woman who she was spending the night with; currently in the bed beside her.

 

This was the first time she ever felt too guilty over this, though Chaewon already passed away years ago and the latter made sure to assure Minjoo that she could do whatever she wanted as long as it would make her happy and satisfied before she did so, she felt a sense of culpability.

 

“Did you love her?” Yujin asked in a form of murmur.

 

Minjoo did not answer, just spacing out as the sounds of gentle waves of the sea crashed against the shore lingered around. Yujin waited patiently, and she slightly panicked when she saw tears flowing from Minjoo’s eyes.

 

“She was a nice person, she taught me a lot of things, she stayed by my side through thick and thin despite our marriage being forced, she made me realize a lot of things — my uality included but…” Minjoo bit her lower lip, and clenched her jaw tightly as she confessed something that was hidden deep in her heart. “I loved Chaewon, I really did. But not in that way. Sure, I formed a deep connection with her but she was just not the one, however, it won’t erase everything we’ve been through.” She angrily said, her fists tightly clenching.

 

Yujin gulped, and eyed her with sadness and pity. She just waited, and tried to comfort Minjoo with her presence.

 

“Maybe that’s why I’m so angry at her. Even though we did not love each other that way, she still left me when I was depending on her, clinging on to her. She was the only one I had after my mother also suddenly passed away.” Minjoo ranted, and for some reason, she felt better getting this weight off her chest but at the same time, feeling so guilty.

 

Yujin finally made a move, feeling her heart ache for Minjoo’s pain. She reached for Minjoo’s tear-stained cheeks and started to wipe off those tears, gently soothing her. To tell Minjoo that she was there, that she didn’t mind if she would open up more, to convey that she shouldn’t be too ashamed of feeling like that.

 

Minjoo then smiled bitterly to herself. “And now that I’m alone, here I am, having a good time before I pass through. And I’ll take what I can get; explore, do things I never usually do — everything.” She whispered to herself, and took a deep breath.

 

Yujin gave her a soft look, and after a beat, she responded. “You don’t have to be alone, Minjoo.” She said and leaned in to press a kiss on Minjoo’s forehead. “I can be with you until I can’t anymore.” She offered with a smile.

 

Though it had just been a little while since they met, when Minjoo entered her life, it was very impactful. Yujin was more than willing to stay and make Minjoo feel less alone.

 

Minjoo could only give her a crooked smile before glancing at the clock beside the nightstand. It was two minutes before midnight.

 

“Time’s almost up.” Minjoo whispered to inform Yujin, avoiding what the latter had just said.

 

Yujin just smiled at her, caressing her cheek. “Stay with me until midnight then.” She cooed.

 

Minjoo stared deep in those loving and innocent eyes that kept pulling her in. She fought the urge to hold Yujin’s hand. She fought the urge to scoot closer and let Yujin engulf her into a warm, comforting hug.

 

She couldn’t. She couldn’t afford to be attached to another person, especially that there was potential that Minjoo’s heart might lean in closer to this woman whom she just met for a short time. Especially that she was starting to slowly crave for her.

 

One night was enough. It was her rule, it was a promise she made to herself. Her time was limited, and she couldn’t waste it like this.

 

They just stared at one another until the clock turned ‘12:00’, and everything turned black.

 

///

 

One week later…

 

Yujin eagerly went out of her place and entered the busy streets of San Junipero, passing by a television store with an ad presenting a 1982 Toyota Corolla. Yujin ignored it, and brisk-walked towards Eyes On Me. The club had few changes, much a little bit more modern but still retro in Yujin’s eyes. It was already night so it was packed as usual.

 

She entered the place, in hopes to find Minjoo there. It was a very dreadful week of waiting, Yujin had been anticipating non-stop so when this day approached near, she was very excited.

 

With a huge smile on her face, she entered the club, ignoring the smell and the drunk people dancing and grinding with one another. Her sharp eyes keenly looked around, trying to find that certain woman who made her heart race.

 

But to no avail, an hour later, she still couldn’t spot her at all, which made Yujin pout a little. She already wasted her time in the arcade, and there were new games to try. From time to time, she would look around, hoping that Minjoo was already there.

 

Yujin went outside too, thinking that Hyunjin must be bothering Minjoo again but she didn’t spot them at all. Only strangers who were minding their own businesses.

 

With hopes dying in her heart, Yujin still waited until eleven by the entrance of the bar. Maybe Minjoo had something to do so she wasn’t able to go to San Junipero that night? Or maybe she was just somewhere around.

 

But Yujin still hoped that Minjoo was going to meet her today especially at what happened to them last week but maybe… it really didn’t mean anything to Minjoo like how it meant everything to Yujin— No, maybe something just really happened.

 

With an hour left to waste, Yujin got a motorbike and decided to stroll on the mountain that would offer her a great view of the sea. She stopped at the side while leaning against her Honda CBX, eyeing the familiar small cabin-like house that Minjoo owned that was settled near the shore. She had no courage to check there though.

 

Sighing to herself, Yujin stayed like that until midnight.

 

///

 

One week later…

 

Another week had passed and this time, Yujin’s excitement was the same as before, knowing that she might meet Minjoo today. She went out of her place with a shirt and flannel, baggy pants, and converse. There were much more modern cars passing by the roads, newer designs and everything. Yujin made sure to observe a little bit longer, feeling too nostalgic.

 

She glanced at the cinema across the road, seeing the huge promotional poster for a movie titled ‘Ghost’ starring Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore. She remembered that movie…

 

Yujin entered Eyes On Me as usual, and it was the same, but people were dressing differently, according to the trend. Yujin ordered a strawberry cocktail and walked to the corner, and she spotted some guys playing with Gameboys.

 

Yujin stayed there for a few hours, her eyes kept on straying to find this certain beauty until she was dizzy but she was devastated when she failed to spot her once more. She felt her heart sinking.

 

Maybe Minjoo was also busy today? Or wasn’t in the mood for partying?

 

Okay, next week it was.

 

But Yujin couldn’t even deny that she was missing her a lot.

 

///

 

One week later…

 

Yujin went out of her place, taking deep breaths through her nose, it was colder today. Her flannel was buttoned up neatly, and wearing pants this time for a change. She went out, and the atmosphere was kind of eerie and… old.

 

Yujin passed by the television set displayed by the store, it had switches on the side implying that it was an older and much more vintage item. She entered the usual club with a heavier heart.

 

She walked to the arcade section, and saw a familiar guy, it was the one who was trying to hit on her. He was playing Pacman, and he looked obsessed with it. He noticed her and giggled, “It just got released. I loved it.” He commented, “Want to play?”

 

Yujin shook her head almost immediately and excused herself to the bar counter, going to order something when she spotted a familiar person. It was Hyewon. Should she ask? She might know where Minjoo was.

 

“Hey,” Yujin called for her but Hyewon probably didn’t hear her immediately because of the loud music. “Hey!”

 

Finally, Hyewon turned to her and went to her, wiping her hands with a towel. “Yes? What poison do you want to consume?” asked the woman.

 

“Strawberry cocktail, please.” Yujin said, leaning in against the counter. “Have you seen Minjoo around?” She then immediately asked before Hyewon could even move away to make her drink.

 

Hyewon’s face lit up a little in recognition, “Minjoo?” She confirmed, and Yujin just timidly nodded. She looked around and shook her head, “Nope, not really. She wasn’t here as well last week.” She said, and then threw her a question. “Been trying to find her?”

 

Yujin bit her lower lip and nodded, nothing to lie about. “Yes, since last week.” She answered.

 

A smirk crawled up on Hyewon’s lips. “Have you tried finding her in Fiesta?” She asked while making her drink, just making finishing touches.

 

“No… I don’t know where that is,” Yujin replied back, remembering that Minjoo mentioned that place before when they first met, she had no idea until now.

 

Hyewon told her where it was and placed her cocktail on top of the counter. Yujin nodded and said her thanks before rushing down out of the club which made the bartender shout for her because she didn’t even take a sip from her drink. Hyewon just shrugged and drank it herself, smirking to herself.

 

Yujin rode her big bike once more to go to that place, and she wasn’t prepared for what she would see. It was almost an old abandoned huge warehouse, and unlike in Eyes On Me — Fiesta’s blasting rock and metal music.

 

Yujin carefully entered and goodness, she flinched when she was met with bizarre looking people. They were wearing scary clothes, and one of them even had a snake wrapped around her arm. It was totally crazy. It was crazier there at Fiesta. People were at the brink of having right there and there were fights that were happening.

 

Shivering, Yujin got enough and started to make her way out. This was too much for her to handle. She didn’t spot Minjoo there as well anyway so she made her way out, only to bump into Hyunjin who recognized her as well, drunk and messy.

 

“You…” He slurred, pointing his beer at her. “Why are you here, pup?”

 

“Where’s Minjoo?” Yujin asked, direct to the point, ignoring his question.

 

Snorting, Hyunjin just huffed at her. “Searching for her, huh?” He snickered and took a sip from his beer, “How would I know? Ever since she replaced me with you, I’ve never seen her anymore as well.” He answered with a grumble and started to walk away, too drunk to even walk straight.

 

With one last option in mind where Minjoo could be, Yujin rode her bike out of that sickening place and went to the beach. She bravely walked to the sand, letting her feet sink in slightly as she made her way towards Minjoo’s cabin-like house.

 

She desperately knocked on the door, “Minjoo!? Are you there, Minjoo?” She shouted, and was defeated when nobody answered and the door was tightly locked. After a few minutes of trying to call her, Yujin finally gave up.

 

She was convinced that Minjoo was probably avoiding her or something. That thought made her heart ache.

 

She sat by Minjoo’s porch, looking at the calm sea as she hugged her knees, her hair dancing along the wind. She didn’t even realize that it was almost midnight, it was almost time to go back home.

 

Soon after, the clock struck ‘12:00’ yet Yujin was once again defeated, failing to even have a glimpse of Minjoo.

 

///

 

One week later…

 

Yujin stared at herself in the mirror. She decided to have a little change this time. Her hair was longer, and had dark blue highlights on her hair. She was wearing a tank-top with hoodie, low-waisted pants, and sneakers. With a sigh, Yujin went outside, expecting nothing much.

 

But there was still a little hope in her poor heart. Foolish. A month had already passed.

 

She really had no plans entering Eyes On Me but for some reason, there was a tug on her heart so she entered the club once her eyes landed on it. There was a huge banner on the entrance that said, ‘Welcome to the 21st Century’.

 

She slowly walked down until she saw the arcade area, and there were a lot much more modern games and this popular StepMania. When she squinted her eyes, somehow, there was a familiar figure there.

 

In the StepMania, Minjoo was dancing with this guy, stepping on the right arrows and hitting it right while laughing and having fun.

 

Yujin’s heart jumped out of her chest, a smile unknowingly bloomed on her face, she was relieved that Minjoo was still around. The latter had her hair styled up and curled, wearing a sparkly jacket, skirt, and boots. She looked amazing as usual.

 

God, Yujin missed her to the point she was starting to think that maybe her moment with Minjoo was just all nothing but hallucination. But there she was… Yujin almost forgot that she was slightly upset at Minjoo for avoiding her for weeks.

 

Minjoo giggled, and she and her guy companion shared high-five after the game. She turned around and meet Yujin’s eyes instantly, her smile faded almost immediately and halted her movements.

 

Yujin could only give a small smile. And she wasn’t even surprised when Minjoo suddenly excused herself from the guy who she was with and walked out, but this time that Yujin already got her eyes on her — she wouldn’t let her pass.

 

She immediately tried to catch Minjoo, holding her arm. “Hold on, stop, Minjoo.” She said, and it successfully stopped Minjoo.

 

Minjoo wasn’t looking all too happy seeing her there though, she sighed and asked, “Why are you here?” She asked boredly. And it shattered Yujin’s heart a little bit because Minjoo wasn’t even delighted at all.

 

“I’ve been looking for you, I’ve been waiting for a month. Where did you go?” Yujin asked, almost eager.

 

Minjoo looked away, and suppressed a sigh. “None of your business.”

 

That made Yujin’s expression drop, she was obviously hurt at the remark. “You hid from me,” She accused her, and it was starting to go from an assumption to a fact the more she saw Minjoo acting hostile around her like this.

 

Minjoo rolled her eyes, putting up a wall, “I did not hide from you, why the hell would I?” She said, and added another spat, “And I owe you nothing.” Before turning away, and strutting towards the bathroom, leaving Yujin there with a pained expression.

 

However, despite the hostility, Yujin followed because she was disappointed and she wanted Minjoo to know that. She barged inside the bathroom and saw the woman standing in front of the sink, looking at her own reflection.

 

She gritted her teeth, and hid her clenched fists, “This isn’t about who owes who. Why don’t you show a little courtesy after spending the night with me and giving me a memorable experience?” She said in a raised voice but there was a suppressed anger in there which made Minjoo flinch a little, however, she didn’t let herself get too intimidated.

 

Minjoo faced Yujin, “It’s just a one-night fun thing, Yujin. What are you even expecting?” She retorted, shaking her head.

 

Sadness was swirling in Yujin’s orbs, there wasn’t even anger in them anymore as Yujin said that. Disappointment, too. And Minjoo could clearly see that, and that made her feel slightly guilty.

 

“It might’ve not meant something to you unlike me who treasures our moment dearly but I expected some manners, at least.” Yujin replied in a broken voice, her face scrunched into a manner that was trying to hold back her tears.

 

Minjoo chuckled bitterly, “You know that I’m only here for fun and pleasure, Yujin. Nothing more.” She said, and her body betrayed her because she couldn’t even keep her gaze straight, feeling some needles poking her heart seeing Yujin’s hurt expression.

 

“So you don’t feel bad at all?” Yujin squeaked, in disbelief. She scoffed bitterly, and gave her a glare. “Wow, you don’t feel bad at all. Maybe you should, or… at least feel something after everything that has happened.” The taller woman fired back as an addition and gave her one last sad look before walking out of the bathroom, leaving Minjoo looking guiltily on the floor.

 

No, it meant something to her. That was why she was running away from her. It certainly meant a lot to her, and she couldn’t even stop thinking of what happened to them before. It was imprinted in her mind, Yujin’s eyes, Yujin’s lips, Yujin’s touches, Yujin’s smiles — God, everything. Even her heart was already reacting at just the thought of her.

 

But she was a coward. She didn’t want to risk it all for someone whom she just met in this place. In San Junipero out of all places. Where it felt real but at the same time, it wasn’t.

 

She let out a shaky breath, and turned to face her reflection, she glared at herself. She couldn’t even contain her frustration and punched the bathroom mirror, creating a huge crack in the middle.

 

Minjoo slowly glanced at her trembling hand, checking if there was a wound and if she could feel something but she realized that she had set the pain down to zero so it felt numb but it made her realize something. She looked back at the mirror she just threw a punch a second ago and saw that it was already fully repaired.

 

She stormed out of the place right after, looking around and trying to spot that certain tall woman desperately. She needed to fix this, she needed to tell Yujin that it was just a lie to protect herself, to protect her cowardly self.

 

She reached outside, and looked around the streets with people, and out of desperation, she approached someone who was peacefully smoking, “Have you seen a tall girl? With blue highlights on her hair.” She described Yujin precisely.

 

The stranger snorted and pointed something above so Minjoo followed it.

 

Much to her shock she saw Yujin at the rooftop of a high building, sitting down on the edge while zoning out in the distance which made Minjoo panic a little, murmuring a small cuss of, “.” Before rushing down, taking the emergency stairs to climb towards Yujin.

 

Minjoo swiftly slid out of the stairs, eyeing Yujin carefully who looked like she was in a great deep thought but she was so sure she already noticed Minjoo’s presence and heard the loud clanking of metal every hurry climb Minjoo would take to the stairs.

 

The beige-haired woman sat at the corner silently, gulping, and guilt started to hit her really badly seeing Yujin so sad and gloomy like this because of her cowardly and foolish . She needed to fix this.

 

“Hey,” Minjoo finally got her voice back, and awkwardly shifted on her spot when Yujin just tilted her head a little when she heard her voice but did not even bother to give her a glance. “I do hope you’ve set your pain slider to zero because it’s no joke if you ever jump down from here.” She said, slowly approaching the woman.

 

Yujin let out a chuckle of disbelief, and dragged her dangling legs from the edge and hugged her knees instead, taking deep breaths of cold and fresh air. “I won’t jump, don’t worry.” She answered, and looked behind her, Minjoo was already there, crouching behind her with sparkly eyes akin to a kicked puppy. She smiled lightly at her, “Are you finally feeling bad?”

 

Minjoo her lower lip, “Yeah, you’re good at making me feel so bad especially if you’re sulking like this on top of a building.” She murmured, and they both shared little chuckles until it faded to silence.

 

Glancing at the taller woman, Minjoo slowly crawled down and saw beside Yujin. “I’m sorry,” She murmured, picking her nails. “I’m sorry for avoiding you, hiding from you. I’ve been completely dishonest about my feelings.” She added.

 

Yujin finally turned to look at her, her eyes still glinting and so innocent like how it used to be, but there was a faint sadness in them. “Elaborate, please.” She pleaded softly.

 

Minjoo suddenly started to feel too helpless, and bit her inner cheek, “I… I felt something when I spent time with you, heck, I’m feeling something right now when I’m close with you,” She started to explain and it surprised Yujin but she listened, like she always does. Minjoo started to frantically speak once more, directly staring deep into Yujin’s eyes. “But you know I don’t do this… I promised to myself, I don’t do feelings, Yujin. I can’t like you. I can’t get attached.”

 

Yujin was barely breathing at this point, learning that Minjoo was also affected like her. That she was feeling something like Yujin all along but started to run away considering their situation and everything. Unlike Yujin who was willing to give and everything, Minjoo would rather stick to her words. But that promise was completely breaking apart as she confessed her true feelings.

 

“I wasn’t prepared for you, Yujin. I wasn’t prepared on how you would make me feel with your glance alone. God knows how I became too crazy when our lips collided that night.” Minjoo started to breathlessly explain, and her eyes looked so hazy and delirious. Yujin knew she had to do something because Minjoo was slowly getting out of it.

 

Minjoo sniffled and took a shaky breath before speaking once more, “You’re scaring me, Yujin. And how you make me feel—” She was cut off when Yujin pulled her for a soft kiss.

 

Minjoo instantly melted and kissed back, holding Yujin close. And for some reason, she didn’t give a that moment and let herself indulge in something selfish.

 

Yujin found herself walking on the sandy beach, the familiar feeling of her feet sinking into the sand was pleasant. It was another cold night but the blanket that Minjoo draped across her shoulders kept her warm enough. Speaking of the latter, she was trailing beside her, their hands glued to one another as they strolled around the beach.

 

“We still have more than an hour to spend,” Minjoo reminded her, and Yujin turned her gaze from the sea to her.

 

“What do you want to do?” asked Yujin softly, and Minjoo shrugged.

 

“Anything you want to do.”

 

Soon after, they both went back to the cabin-like house and Yujin sat on the porch, leaning against the railing as she watched her new favorite view of the sea a little bit far away from her — curled up against Minjoo’s blanket that smells like vanilla and home.

 

Minjoo appeared shortly, holding two mugs with steaming hot coffee and placed them on the side before sitting down on the step higher than Yujin, hugging her from behind. Yujin just leaned into the warm touch. They were like that for a couple of minutes until Yujin broke the silence.

 

“I’m getting married in three weeks,” Yujin revealed, and Minjoo leaned away from hugging her, staring at her with a small smile on her lips.

 

“To the good Wonyoung?” asked Minjoo for confirmation.

 

Yujin just closed her eyes and nodded, “I have no choice anyway. And I know she pities me that’s why she’s doing this for me.” There was a sudden bitterness in her voice, “I feel so helpless because I need a person’s help to even pass—” Minjoo gently hushed her.

 

Yujin pressed her lips together, and sighed, leaning in closer to Minjoo while the latter pressed a kiss on her temple to soothe her. Her heart warmed, and she felt much more calm than before.

 

“Will you stay with me until then?” Yujin murmured nervously, and there was an ache in Minjoo’s heart, her hug around Yujin tightened. “I know it’s selfish of me to ask you something like this, especially that you don’t do things like this — staying, I mean.”

 

A smile formed on Minjoo’s lips, and responded to her. “Like I said, Yujin,” She said softly before adding, “Anything you want to do.”

 

“I’ll stay until then.”

 

///

 

The next time they met, Yujin and Minjoo just tried their best to have a great time of their lives. They went around San Junipero and tried different things together, always together. They went to different shopping malls to try out clothes, they went to the ice cream shop to buy every flavor for them to taste, went to the park and played around like kids, visited the highest peak of the mountain just to make out while facing the great view of the town.

 

And so much more. They even swam together at the beach at night, despite shivering in clothes. They stuck close and warmed each other up, laughing happily with one another.

 

They even danced under the rain in the middle of the street, not caring for people who kept giving them weird looks. They danced, laughed, and kissed under the pouring light rain, with the moon giving them enough light.

 

Yujin even tried to smoke while Minjoo just laughed at her, not knowing how to hit and kept off breathing and coughing the smoke.

 

They had good laughs and shared wonderful memories. Yujin never thought she would be able to be so happy like that, she thought she wasn’t allowed to have fun like that in her life anymore but San Junipero made her dreams come true, Minjoo made her dreams come true.

 

But as days approached, Yujin couldn’t help but get sad because she knew it wouldn’t last long and after the last week, she would have to keep those memories deep in her heart, and she wouldn’t be able to experience such fun like that anymore with Minjoo. Unless there was a miracle.

 

They were laying down on the bed, staring at the ceiling like how they used to a month ago — when they first spent the night together until midnight. Earlier, they did the usual thing, they had fun and they went back to Minjoo’s house to indulge themselves into something pleasurable.

 

But unlike before their past experiences, this was much more tender and softer, they took their time to show their caring and fluttery feelings for one another. Despite meeting each other like this in a town like San Junipero where things exist but at the same time, it doesn’t — their feelings were real.

 

After their session, they laid down in silence, feeling each other and hearing each other’s breathings; caressing each other’s hand under the sheets.

 

“I’m scared of the sea because the first girl who I liked romantically drowned herself out of sorrow when her family learnt that she was into girls, I’ve seen her body floating lifelessly,” Yujin suddenly confessed and there was sadness lingering around her tone, “So, I was scared to go to the beach alone.”

 

Minjoo was silent, just staring at Yujin with pity. “I hope her good soul is resting at peace.”

 

Yujin smiled at her, “I hope so too.” She murmured before glancing at the huge window behind the headboard, looking out for the beach. She then turned to Minjoo, “Let’s go out?”

 

Yujin settled once more at Minjoo’s porch, the latter sitting behind her while hugging her from behind, providing her enough warmth.

 

“You know, Chaewon and I were married for two decades. And I lost her four years ago because of cancer. And now I’m the one who’s suffering.” Minjoo started to open up, and Yujin loved that because she was going to know more about Minjoo’s life so she turned and listened to her lovingly. Minjoo sighed, and glanced at Yujin, “She was offered to stay here, in San Junipero but she refused.”

 

That confused Yujin a little, “Why did she refuse?” asked the woman softly, trying to comfort Minjoo. “Who would even dare to refuse the chance to stay in this fantastic world?” added Yujin with a hint of disbelief in her voice.

 

Minjoo her lower lip, and glanced at her, “She used to think that this system is a whole joke, full of unrealistic fantasies. Fake experiences.” She started to explain, and felt little tears pricking her eyes. “Her family died in a car accident and she thought it was unfair for her to stay here while they roam around aimlessly to god’s know where.” She sniffled lightly. “So… she passed over, without even considering staying here.”

 

Yujin thought it was understandable and reasonable for the woman to do so.

 

“Do you want to stay here?” asked Minjoo out of the blue, which surprised Yujin, the latter glancing at her.

 

Yujin’s lips twitched, “I do. I don’t want to wander aimlessly in a vast place we’re not even sure of, after all.” She answered truthfully, and there was a lump on when she decided to ask, giving Minjoo a look of hesitation. “How about you?” asked Yujin in a form of whisper, there was no hope in her tone.

 

Minjoo gazed at the view in front of them for a while, and smiled sadly. She did not answer and Yujin respected her silence, just leaning closer to the woman before releasing a soft breath.

 

“When will you pass over?” Minjoo asked quietly instead, playing with her hair, it gently.

 

The question left a bitter taste in Minjoo’s mouth but she did not mind it and continued to hold Yujin like how she deserved to be held like.

 

“A few hours after my marriage,” Yujin answered, her eyes lowering down to see the sand beneath, gently inserting her feet there for comfort. “Tomorrow. My family can’t do anything anymore to me after that.” She mumbled out under her breath and there was a pang of sadness hitting Minjoo’s heart.

 

“You can’t bear it anymore? To be there?” asked Minjoo softly.

 

Yujin shook her head, “God, no. I suffered quite a lot already.” She answered with a bitter tone, leaning away to look at Minjoo with sad eyes, her lips quivering. “When I got the chance, I took it. I want to be away.” Her voice broke and Minjoo could feel the torment that Yujin had been bagging.

 

Minjoo just pulled her for a hug and Yujin hugged back. They just embraced each other like that for a while without saying anything to each other. Their presence and warmth alone was comforting their broken souls.

 

“How about you? Will you pass over soon?” Yujin asked, murmuring against her shoulders and Minjoo shrugged.

 

“Recently, they say… in about two months. It’s starting to spread all over me and I refused treatment.” Minjoo answered nonchalantly, and took a swig from her coffee. “I’m quite ready to pass over anyway as well.” She added before suddenly shifting the topic, “I almost forgot though, where are you from anyway?”

 

Yujin looked hesitant to say and Minjoo took the initiative, “I’m from Seoul.” She said, and it was a lowkey move to make Yujin say where she came from.

 

“Daegu.” Yujin replied back, and Minjoo gasped, tilting her head a little.

 

“Oh, just so close! Not much of a distance,” Minjoo beamed, happy to learn that Yujin was just living so close around their country. She could definitely pay a visit. “Want to meet up before the marriage?”

 

Yujin froze when she said that, shifting uncomfortably on her spot. “I… can’t go to you.” She answered, very wary and thought she looked delighted at the thought of meeting up… she just couldn’t. So, Minjoo took the hint immediately.

 

“Then I can go to you. I still can anyway,” Minjoo said with a grin, and hugged Yujin closer, “So… what do you say? Come on. It’s better to meet outside.” She urged, almost pleading with puppy eyes but Yujin was hesitant.

 

Her fingers fidgeted and let out a bitter laugh, “You wouldn’t want to see me outside San Junipero, Minjoo.” She said, and there was insecurity lying underneath, worry and shame. And there was a tug in Minjoo’s heart. “I look like a whole mess, a chaotic—”

 

Minjoo hushed her down by pressing her finger against Yujin’s lips, and gave her a gentle smile, “I’m sure you’re still lovely like you are here, Yujin.” She lovingly said, and reached for her hand, caressing it while her other one moved to tuck the strands of hair behind Yujin’s ear. “Come on, let me visit you. I want to see you.”

 

Yujin did not answer for a second before heaving out a deep sigh, nodding meekly after which made Minjoo let out a happy squeak, “I’m already warning you, don’t freak out.” She could only weakly respond. Minjoo just giggled at her and pulled her for another hug, comfortable in the embrace.

 

“We still have ten minutes…” murmured Minjoo when she glanced at the clock inside that could be seen through the window.

 

Yujin took a deep breath and nodded, leaning against Minjoo and tried to hear the calm beating of her heart. “I’m happy that I got the chance to stay for a little while here in San Junipero. I wouldn’t have met you at all.” blurted out Yujin, in a daze. She leaned away from Minjoo’s hold and faced her properly, her eyes held sincerity and fondness.

 

“Thank you for staying, Minjoo. For dragging me along to experience things that I’ve never felt before. I will be forever grateful for you and your existence.” Yujin said, holding her hands tightly and it was making Minjoo tear up a little, laughing it off instead as she playfully smacked Yujin before pulling her back to a warm embrace.

 

“Silly Yujin,” Minjoo murmured, and her hold went tighter, as if she was afraid to let go. “Why are you saying this as if we wouldn’t meet anymore? I’ll go to you first thing in the morning tomorrow.” She added, planting a soft kiss on top of her head.

 

Yujin just smiled and held her arm, closing her eyes as they waited for the midnight to approach.

 

///

 

Minjoo fluttered her eyes open, and she coughed, shifting her position on the comfortable chair that she was seating on. A woman clad in light blue overalls, smiling at her. “How is your trip there? Had a blast with Yujin?” asked the woman before sitting down beside her on the smaller chair, starting to check on her.

 

Minjoo took a deep breath and nodded, “Always.” She answered with a smile, and closed her eyes, feeling her body getting weaker when she felt so alive earlier when she was in San Junipero.

 

The woman took out the small circular chip that was lighting up and blinking — attached to Minjoo’s temple, placing it in a white box that had a huge ‘IZ Technology’ marked on the outer box.

 

“Hitomi,” Minjoo called for the woman, and Hitomi just hummed at her, giving her a smile. “I want to meet Yujin. She’s in Daegu.”

 

Hitomi giggled at her, taking the box and stood up, “I thought you would never ask. Tomorrow morning? So I can make arrangements.” asked the woman as she went to the table, taking out some pills from the containers. She glanced at Minjoo who was trying to relax in the reclining chair, and once the latter nodded, a smile was shown from her lips before pressing a button; the hologram lit up to life, loading and starting to show information. “Alright then.” She pressed her fingers into the hologram a few times before turning it off, then went back to Minjoo with the pills and a glass of water.

 

“But make sure to take your medicine first, Minjoo.” Hitomi said, and helped Minjoo to stand up from her chair, assisting her until she was on her bed, and made her consume the medicine despite the older woman’s insistence of not taking it. This time, however, Minjoo wasn’t too stubborn to take those pills.

 

Hitomi left her after, promising that she would take her to Yujin the first thing in the morning tomorrow. And with that, Minjoo slowly closed her eyes, excited to meet Yujin outside of San Junipero.

 

Morning came and everything was settled, Minjoo was staring at herself in a mirror, looking at her own reflection. In contrast to her beige hair last night when she was in San Junipero, her real hair was showing; turning gray and short already. She didn’t bother to dye it since it would turn gray and white sooner or later anyway.

 

The youthful face of hers from San Junipero was no longer present, there were little wrinkles on her face that showed her real age. That was what she really looked like, a fifty-two year old who had terminal illness.

 

After that, Hitomi appeared from the door, telling her that it was time to go. Nodding along, Minjoo started to limp towards her and Hitomi met her halfway so she could walk faster.

 

They entered a van that was way different than the vintage cars from the past, in San Junipero — this van was almost a box and had wheels that were blue lights. They entered and Minjoo sat comfortably on the chair as the vehicle started to smoothly drive away from the three-storey modern house where she was staying.

 

Soon enough, they arrived at the destination. Minjoo slowly walked out of the place, with Hitomi assisting her. She looked up at the high building, and when they entered, they passed by a huge golden placard attached on the wall beside.

 

Daegu Medical Hospital.

 

Minjoo entered the neat hospital and it was quite funny because the hospitals these days were surely boring. Too minimalist and just pure white. Pure technology almost running the whole place with robots assisting human nurses and doctors, and even patients.

 

Minjoo snorted, and reminded herself that she wasn’t in the year of the 1900s anymore. She was not in San Junipero but in reality, in the year 2081. The era where technology was so advanced and improved scarily that it could even create a simulation for people to enjoy their fantasies, to live their dream.

 

They went to the front desk and the woman there immediately smiled at them once they approached, “How can I help you?”

 

Before Hitomi could even speak for Minjoo, the latter beat her to do so. “We will meet Ahn Yujin today.” She said softly, and her voice was hoarse and much weaker. Much more mature as well.

 

“Ah, she’s expecting you already, I’ll just call her nurse.” The woman said and dialed someone through the hologram. And a few minutes later, a tall pretty woman in her 30s entered, wearing a bright smile.

 

“Hello, I’ll you to Yujin’s room.” Yujin’s nurse, Minjoo would assume, greeted and led her to one of the rooms.

 

Minjoo tried to calm herself down, she was quite nervous, actually — to meet Yujin but she was excited, don’t get her wrong. It was just… different today. Something would change.

 

And they entered a spacious room, there weren’t even things in there, just machines and equipment, a table, and a bed — where there was a person lying down peacefully, tubes that were glowing blue attached to the person as if it was her life support.

 

Minjoo suppressed her gasp, and remained calm as she walked further, with Hitomi trailing behind her back.

 

“She’s quite nervous meeting you today,” The nurse said with a smile and Minjoo didn’t even spare her a glance. She slowly walked closer, her eyes never leaving the figure that was lying on the bed, motionless.

 

Minjoo quite expected that she would be greeted by a smile but… nothing, the familiar person was just there, lying motionlessly, her eyes were open but almost emotionless and not even blinking — Oh God, those innocent puppy-like eyes with hazelnut orbs. But the heart monitor beside her that was keeping track of the fast beat of her heart told everyone that she was alive, and the little soft breathings.

 

“Don’t worry, she can see you and hear you as well so you can talk to her. She just can’t speak.” The nurse added, encouraging her to speak to Yujin even after seeing her like that.

 

Minjoo wasn’t even horrified, even one bit. But she understood why Yujin didn’t want to see her like this but she was glad that Yujin still gave her a chance to see her. Yujin was just simply insecure and maybe it was kind of sad that they wouldn’t be able to communicate like they could in San Junipero.

 

Taking a deep breath, Minjoo finally approached until she was beside Yujin’s bed, and she almost cried seeing her like this personally. In their real current form, nothing to hide anymore.

 

Yujin still looked so beautiful, despite wearing that emotionless-face almost permanently, and her eyes… God, it was still dazzling. Minjoo loved them so much. There were scars on her face, and her hair was long, it wasn’t still gray-ing like Minjoo’s. She still looked so young, but her face looked much older and mature than her youthful form in San Junipero.

 

“Silly,” Minjoo finally spoke, smiling at her while trying to hold back her tears, leaning down to press a kiss on her forehead. A drop of tear fell. “Why would you even think I would freak out? You still look so youthful and beautiful, unlike me who’s already turning into a whole hag.” She joked, and it was kind of lonely when Yujin didn’t laugh, the machine just kept on beeping.

 

But she knew… deep inside, she knew that Yujin at least snorted at her. Tears started to form in Yujin’s eyes as well, and Minjoo had to shush and calm her down.

 

Minjoo’s smile did not fade as she slowly Yujin’s hair, Hitomi and the nurse watching them fondly at the side.

 

“May I know how old Yujin is now?” asked Minjoo out of the blue then gave Yujin a playful glare, “Because this little dummy here did not even bother to tell me when we were in San Junipero.”

 

The nurse immediately responded, “She’s forty-three.”

 

Minjoo snorted and patted Yujin’s head lightly before blurting out, “I’m nine years older than you then.” She then added with a chuckle. “Why is your hair not turning gray yet?” She faked a whiny tone.

 

Both Hitomi and the nurse went out to give them space, and Minjoo continued to blabber things to Yujin, not minding if the latter couldn’t speak to respond to her. The sudden rush of the beat of her heart and the long breaths were enough of a reaction. Minjoo was very delighted because even in such a difficult situation, it felt like she could understand Yujin.

 

After a few hours, Minjoo and Yujin were filled with comfortable silence. Minjoo just kept on caressing Yujin’s hand, the warmth was familiar and lovely. After a few minutes, Yujin closed her eyes and her heartbeat started to go slower which meant that the latter fell asleep.

 

Chuckling, Minjoo just let her and stood up, leaning down to kiss Yujin on her head and nose. “Did I tire you out too much by blabbering a lot?” She whispered, giggling to herself and the door opened, it was Yujin’s nurse who got her medicine, they exchanged smiles.

 

“She fell asleep?” The tall nurse asked with a charming smile on her face.

 

Minjoo nodded, and glanced at Yujin who was peacefully sleeping. “Yes, she probably got exhausted from listening to me nonstop for hours.” She said with a gentle smile etched on her lips.

 

“Can we grab some coffee?” The nurse suddenly asked, and Minjoo instantly nodded. She would like to speak with this nurse as well since she probably knows everything about Yujin.

 

They found themselves in the cafeteria, two steaming cups of coffee sitting on the table. Hitomi went out to give them privacy to talk, and so, Minjoo was alone with this tall nurse that Minjoo already got a hunch on who might be.

 

“So, I’m Jang Wonyoung, and I’ve been taking care of Ahn Yujin for a decade now.” Wonyoung introduced herself and Minjoo tilted her head a little, not really too surprised anymore.

 

The Jang Wonyoung? Yujin’s fiance?” asked Minjoo and Wonyoung giggled at that, nodding in confirmation.

 

“Yes, and I think you would love to know more about my fiance’s condition, right?” Wonyoung played along, there was no malice in her tone and it made Minjoo giggle. Wonyoung took a sip from her coffee and placed it back down, the playful look on her face disappeared. “Yujin has been here since she was twenty so… she has been bed-ridden for more than two decades now. Do… you know about that?”

 

Minjoo’s face was crestfallen upon hearing that. “N-No. She never told me anything about her… illness or anything.” She said, and her lower lip, feeling herself tremble. Two decades of being paralyzed. She couldn’t imagine Yujin’s suffering.

 

Wonyoung gave her a smile, “I’ve been taking care of her since she was… around her thirties. So we’re kind of close. But not to the extent of being besties, Yujin is still distant.” She said, and smiled at Minjoo who was looking very gloomy. “We talked through the comm box. Not frequent but enough, after all, it’s been a lot of years.” She continued and clasped her hands together, “She briefly talked about you to me and I’m happy to know that because of you, she’s having tons of fun lately. Thank you.”

 

Minjoo smiled at her, “And because of her, I’m having a lot of fun as well.” She said before her gaze went downcast, tapping her fingers against the cup.

 

There was a beat of silence before Wonyoung spoke once more, “She agreed to the offer of marrying me so she can pass over.” She revealed, and her lower lip before adding, “Ever since she got into a horrible car accident after she ran away from her suffocating home that paralyzed almost her whole body, she’s been suffering quite a lot, being stuck in the bed everyday… couldn’t even move. Her family is awful as , they won’t let her pass over because it’s against the law of their… religion or whatever. Yujin had been begging them until this opportunity came.” Her expression was bitter, and she was genuinely sad for the woman.

 

Minjoo quite guessed that part already, her fists clenching hard. She couldn’t even speak or comment at all because she was so disappointed and mad. Yujin was kind of open about how her family was too… uptight when it comes to her, she couldn’t experience the real meaning of ‘fun’ because of them.

 

Clenching her fists, Minjoo bit her lower lip. Should she do something selfish? Oh, she would definitely do something selfish and impulsive but she wanted to help in some way, she wanted to have a piece of Yujin here in the real world.

 

“Can I go to the system with her? I want to talk to her.” Minjoo blurted out instead, eyeing her untouched coffee, already turning cold.

 

Wonyoung gave her a surprised look, looking around and there was wariness in her look, “I’m afraid I can’t do that. There’s a rule here that the patients can only access and enter the system once a week.” She said, apologetic.

 

Minjoo did not give up though, and started to plead, her eyes showing desperation. “Please, just five minutes.”

 

Wonyoung still looked unconvinced, scared of breaking the rules. “I-I’m really sorry, look I—”

 

Minjoo scooped Wonyoung’s hands using her own, and gave her a pleading look. “I’m begging you. Just five minutes. I just want to settle something with her, I beg of you.” She mumbled, biting her lower lip, really desperate.

 

The nurse became mum, staring into her with worried eyes, and gulped before taking a deep breath. She glanced around and pursed her lips together, “Just five minutes.” She finally agreed, and Minjoo was grateful and ecstatic.

 

“Yes. Thank you so much.” Minjoo mumbled out and they went back to Yujin’s room.

 

Wonyoung took out the white box akin to what Minjoo had back in her home, an advanced creation of IZ Technology Inc., where people with illness and slowly dying of age could live their lives happily and freely until they die. They say that it was a marvelous creation, and some thought it was bull. For Minjoo, it was both marvelous and bull. However, for now, she needed this creation.

 

Hitomi made sure that there was no one around and closed the doors, locking it while Wonyoung took out the chip, attaching it to Yujin’s temple. Minjoo did the same, sitting on the chair, and closed her eyes.

 

The chip started to blink, and it created a small noise before Minjoo felt herself getting into another dimension.

 

On the other side, Yujin was standing at the familiar beach of San Junipero, her feet sinking into the hot sand, confused in the daylight. She squinted, and she was greeted by the sight of the sea but this time, she witnessed this view in broad daylight — which she had never seen before.

 

The beach was clean, and the clear blue water was pristine. She was confused at first but she got distracted by the sight, she couldn’t help but to let out a snort of disbelief to herself. “I’ve never seen this beach in the daytime before,” She murmured to herself and a smile bloomed on her lips. “It’s so pretty too.” She was enjoying the view when suddenly, a familiar voice called for her behind.

 

“Ahn Yujin!”

 

Yujin turned around almost immediately, and her heart started to beat loudly seeing this gorgeous girl again in here, running towards her. She was confused but happy at the same time, “Minjoo…” She met her halfway, rushing to her.

 

They shared a hug, and Minjoo broke it immediately, looking like she was in a rush. Yujin asked, panicking as well, “What is happening—” Minjoo cut her off, holding her arms tightly.

 

“Look, darling, we’re in a rush. We can’t stay here for too long, yeah? They just gave me five minutes, and I need you to listen to me first, okay?” Minjoo frantically said, and her eyes were serious so Yujin clasped her lips together, eyeing her intently, listening. She ignored the flutter in her heart when Minjoo called her with a sudden endearment.

 

“I learned everything from Wonyoung, why you ended up here, why you’re suffering, why you’re going to marry her.” Minjoo started to blabber, and Yujin’s heart started to sink but before she could even comment, Minjoo glared at her. “You should’ve called off your engagement with Wonyoung the moment you spent the night with me and asked me instead.” She threw a joke in the middle of a serious moment, confusing Yujin even more.

 

“What—”

 

“Listen carefully, Yujin, I will ask you something and you’ll give me an answer, quick. Okay?” Minjoo cut her off once more and Yujin pressed her lips together, nodding.

 

And when Yujin wasn’t expecting it, Minjoo suddenly kneeled before her which surprised her to the core. She was about to ask why she was doing that when Minjoo finally dropped the bomb, her eyes swirling in seriousness and sincerity.

 

“Will you marry me instead, Ahn Yujin?”

 

Yujin malfunctioned after that, she yelped, and she didn’t exactly know what she was going to do or even say. Everything was happening so fast that Yujin was getting dizzy and light-headed but Minjoo pulled her back to reality by tugging her, giving her a desperate look.

 

“I-I…” Yujin started to stammer.

 

Minjoo gave her a pointed look, “Yujin, darling, will you marry me?” She repeated once more, and Yujin’s heart still jumped and fluttered again, blushing but she finally got her tongue back.

 

“Yes, Minjoo. I would love to marry you.” Yujin answered with a cheeky smile, she would never reject such an offer even if Yujin was confused about what was happening.

 

Minjoo’s lips formed into a grin and finally stood up, facing Yujin before pulling her for a short kiss. “I’ll take your last name.” mumbled Minjoo against Yujin’s lips.

 

“I don’t know what’s happening but sure, please do.” Yujin said, and wrapped her arms around Minjoo’s waist, pulling the latter for a warm hug. But to be honest, she already got an idea and she was grateful.

 

Minjoo broke the hug and held Yujin’s hands, staring deep right into her eyes. “Do you still want to pass over?” She asked in a small voice.

 

Yujin smiled at her, “Yes. I’m suffering, as you can see. I may not feel pain anymore but… I can’t move, I’m literally… caged inside my own body. I don’t want that kind of life anymore, Minjoo.” She said in a breathless voice, and Minjoo nodded understandingly, pulling her soon to be wife in an embrace.

 

“Then I’ll let you pass over as my wife.” Minjoo murmured, and Yujin had never been this grateful and relieved.

 

///

 

The ceremony started after they got Yujin’s consent to marry Minjoo.

 

In this era, it was pretty easy to marry. Just consent and boom, married so it went really smoothly. Minjoo just signed something after a priest declared that their marriage was official.

 

Quite funny because they didn’t have anything prepared, not even rings but it was convenient for marriage anyway. Since Yujin wished to stay in the system after death, her choice would be respected.

 

Minjoo would give Yujin some real wedding ceremony and ring in San Junipero but for now, she needed to pass over.

 

Minjoo kissed Yujin in the temple, and whispered, “See you in San Junipero, sweetheart.”

 

Soon, a couple of doctors went in, and injected something in Yujin. A painless method to die peacefully, to end one’s suffering.

 

There was a tear that fell down from Yujin’s eyes, her painful life flashing before her eyes. She was not going to suffer anymore.

 

Minjoo watched and witnessed how Yujin’s lively hazelnut eyes turned lifeless a few minutes later and the noises from the heart machine to tell that she was flatlining until… Yujin was officially declared dead.

 

Minjoo approached Yujin’s body, and closed her eyes herself.

 

After that, Wonyoung approached her with a smile, “Thank you for doing this, Minjoo.” She said she was happy for Yujin.

 

Taking a deep breath, Minjoo nodded, smiling back a little. “I did what I just needed to do,” She answered and then bowed a little to the nurse who bowed back immediately. “I’ll be meeting Yujin in San Junipero once I get home.”

 

“Have a good life, Minjoo. I’m sure that Yujin is very happy.”

 

///

 

Yujin fluttered her eyes open once more and she was greeted by the view of the sea, and this time it was probably around afternoon since it was slightly dim earlier than when she got here.

 

In a daze, Yujin slowly walked up to the water and let her feet get engulfed by the warm saltwater of the beach. But there was something different, way different.

 

This time, the water felt too… realistic. Sure she could feel it before but this time, she could feel the water as if she was part of this world, as if she belonged here, not just an illusion.

 

And it felt so wonderful, so wonderful. She couldn’t explain the difference but it really felt like she was living here, a citizen of this town where they call it a dream place on earth. She giggled to herself, and started to play with the water, so giddy.

 

So it was true after all, this was an after-life haven. Yujin didn’t regret choosing to die with the system intact in her brain so she could live here forever, and not just wander aimlessly to an afterlife world where nothing was sure. In San Junipero, everything was certain, and they could live here happily forever.

 

With a grin, Yujin felt so free and alive, she continued to dance around the beach, laughing to herself like a crazy woman. In this world, she was not suffering, she was not paralyzed but she was a normal person who could move freely, who could do whatever she wanted.

 

A few hours passed, and it was starting to get dimmer, meaning that evening was slowly approaching. Yujin strolled along the beach, taking deep breaths of the cold air and cherishing it.

 

Until suddenly, there was a honk from the distance and Yujin glanced over to check, there was a familiar jeep parked a few meters away from her and a figure went out, hanging at the side as she happily waved at Yujin.

 

“Hey you!” It was Minjoo, and the latter was wearing a beautiful wedding dress that made Yujin instantly smile.

 

Yujin faced her, grinning sheepishly at her, “Minjoo, you’re here.” She responded, almost in disbelief.

 

Minjoo snorted at her, and gave her a playful glare, “It’s our wedding today and you’re wearing that loser-like outfit while I’m here, looking gorgeous with my gown?” She yelled, her voice echoing around the empty beach.

 

Yujin laughed at her goofiness and in a blink, she was wearing a wedding dress that matched Minjoo before asking her, “Much better, wife?” asked the woman, giggling.

 

Minjoo smirked at her, “That’ll do.” She cheekily answered and they both shared a laugh before Yujin started to run towards her, and Minjoo met her halfway.

 

Yujin even lifted her up and started to twirl her, both were still giggling and after that, they shared a soft, brief kiss. Minjoo grabbed her wrist and dragged her inside the jeep, “Come on, let’s spend some time together! We’re newly-weds after all~”

 

And they both did whatever they wanted, they drank in some cozy bar place nearby, and celebrated there, not minding the people who were giving them weird looks, and they got kicked out for being too loud and suddenly dancing in the middle as if they were only the people in the place. They drove off from that place while laughing, with Yujin shouting, “Killjoy losers!” while Minjoo laughed, driving them towards the mountains.

 

They stayed at the spot they usually went at, just to breathe and see the nightlife of San Junipero. It was bright, lively, so alive and fun, with every person having their own way of making themselves happy for the meantime.

 

Both of the newly married couple sat on the cover of Minjoo’s keep, chuckling with one another, and giggling. Yujin couldn’t help but to remark, “I didn’t expect that I would marry someone beautiful. High school Ahn Yujin would freak out if she ever learned about this.” She said, and closed her eyes, enjoying the fresh and cold breeze of the wind.

 

“You’re quite lucky then,” Minjoo playfully retorted, reaching for Yujin’s face to pinch her nose, fondness lining her voice. She couldn’t help but to remember when she got married to Chaewon before and their first day of being married wasn’t fun like this. It was quite ironic that her second marriage in this life was something for convenience as well but she wasn’t complaining, she would love to give all the help she could give before she passes over.

 

Yujin grinned goofily at her, “I am.” She replied happily and slid out of the car, starting to swirl around and giggling to herself, while Minjoo watched her with a smile etched on her face.

 

Yujin looked like the happiest like that, she looked so… alive as she kicked the sand with her bare feet, swaying around like a lunatic but she couldn’t care less while Minjoo just gazed at her fondly, biting her lower lip to suppress a huge smile that was threatening to leave her lips.

 

“God, I feel so alive… I feel so happy, so perfect. I will never regret staying here in San Junipero, I can do whatever I want without restrictions, without my family following me and scolding me. Nothing, I could do everything I wanted.” Yujin yelled out of happiness, holding her stomach after she started to laugh. “In San Junipero, everything is possible. You get to live forever, youthful and healthy.” added Yujin and started to twirl around once more until her and Minjoo’s eyes met, she skipped towards her and held both of her hands.

 

“Minjoo, when you pass over,” Yujin started off seriously, holding her tightly, “Stay here. In San Junipero.” She said, a big smile blooming on her pretty face but the request caught Minjoo off-guard, she immediately retreated her hands away, uncomfortable.

 

“No, I can’t, I don’t want to…” answered Minjoo in a small voice, shaking her head, just thinking of it alone was making her want to puke.

 

Yujin gave her a look of disbelief, “Why wouldn’t you want to?” asked the taller woman with a toothy smile. She held both of Minjoo’s arms who was not even looking at her. “In San Junipero, everything is possible. We can be happy forever, we will not just simply wander aimlessly in the dark—” Minjoo pushed her harshly until she almost stumbled forward and slapped her across the cheek.

 

Surprised, Yujin held her stinging cheek but the pain started to fade away once she had set the pain slider to zero so she wasn’t really hurt but what happened bewildered her, Minjoo slapped her. And the latter was crying and glaring at her with those bloodshot eyes.

 

“You can’t request something selfish like that Yujin, just because we’re married in papers, just because I took your last name,” Minjoo snapped through her gritted teeth and Yujin could only helplessly watch her. “I have my ex-wife and mother waiting for me to climb up to the other world and not selfishly stay here in this ed system!” She yelled, continuing as endless tears fell from her eyes. “You know since the beginning that I won’t stay here, and I don’t want to. Because that would be selfish of me, my loved ones are waiting for me in that other side of the world that we don’t exactly know about and I would get to have fun here… forever?” asked the woman in a broken voice.

 

Yujin was obviously shocked at the lashing, and she was panicking, “I-I’m sorry, I just want to spend my forever with you—”

 

“I pitied you, Yujin, I did,” Minjoo cut her off, she was even breathless. “But this… is too much. I can’t stay here.” She shook her head and immediately hopped inside her jeep, turning the engine on before driving away from Yujin who could only helplessly run after her and shout her name.

 

Minjoo was still crying as she cried and cried, conflict stirring up in her heart. Since when did she become selfish anyway? For the first time in her life, she became genuinely happy, even if it was in a… unrealistic place, with a woman. She was happy with Chaewon but not to that extent, she only loved her ex-wife as a best friend, a platonic partner and nothing more. But Minjoo held her dearly in her heart, and she was currently wandering aimlessly to god knows where because she chose not to stay here. And her mom… oh god, she missed her mother.

 

Sniffling, Minjoo angrily wiped her nose and ran the car in full speed, glaring at the road. In the clock, the time 11:58 was showing. Her heart ached at the thought of leaving Yujin behind here, yearning for her.

 

She married her, and everyone knew that it was for convenience to help Yujin to pass over… because she pitied her.

 

But deep inside, Minjoo married her as well because she had feelings for Ahn Yujin.

 

And she was conflicted especially when Yujin started to ask her to spend her forever with her… together in San Junipero.

 

Minjoo bit her lower lip until it almost drew blood, adjusting the setting of her pain slider so she could at least feel something. She didn’t even mind if there was a barricade against the way she was approaching, she just drove towards it until her car collided, and the impact threw her a few meters away.

 

She felt it. She felt the pain as she rolled down harshly for a few turns and laid down on the dusty ground, motionless as stings started to infiltrate her body. She sobbed and sobbed because she was conflicted; she was so certain that she would only have fun in San Junipero, help Yujin experience things — but the thing she feared the most happened.

 

She got madly attached to this loser. Her loser.

 

Yujin appeared nearby and when she saw Minjoo lying down, she immediately ran to her, also crying. She helped the woman up, and dusted off her face, sobbing. “I’m so, so sorry for being selfish, Minjoo.” She cried.

 

Minjoo shook her head, sniffling as she held Yujin’s face between her hands. “No, No, I’m the one who’s sorry, my love.” She said as she shook her head, “I just can’t… I can’t, Yujin.” Her voice was weak and helpless.

 

Yujin pressed their foreheads together, “I understand, Minjoo, I’m sorry.” She murmured, and they closed their eyes together, just feeling one another.

 

Their eyes both fluttered at the same time, heaving heavy breaths before leaning in closer but… instead of getting greeted by Minjoo’s soft lips, Yujin kissed the air.

 

Midnight struck, and Minjoo was gone once more. And Yujin wasn’t sure if Minjoo would ever come back to see her again this time.

 

///

 

“Minjoo, it’s time to drink your medicine,” Hitomi’s head poked from the gap of the door, and entered fully once she saw that Minjoo was awake, at the open balcony and staring at the distance. “Come on.” She slightly urged but Minjoo just shook her head.

 

“Why bother? I’m just taking my time here before I decide to pass over anyway,” Minjoo croaked, and closed her eyes, and Hitomi pressed her lips together, sitting beside her.

 

There was a silence that filled them, the afternoon glow was beautiful and the sun was setting from the horizon so the view was fantastic. Hitomi placed the medicines and water away, glancing at the old woman with a smile, “You haven’t visited San Junipero for a week now. Do you want to go there? I’ll set up the—”

 

Minjoo raised her hand, making Hitomi seal her lips. “No, I don’t want to go there.” She murmured, and opened her eyes once more, taking a deep breath. She never said anything after that.

 

Hitomi tilted her head, “Did… something happen with you and Yujin?” She mustered courage to ask.

 

But Minjoo did not answer, and instead, she murmured, “Can I go to another system? I don’t want to be in San Junipero. I want to try other places like Vhourghil too.”

 

Hitomi could only look at her sadly and nodded, standing up. “Okay, I’ll arrange things for you then.” She said before walking inside to give Minjoo some space.

 

The old woman could only sigh heavily again, her chest felt really painful as she remembered Yujin who must be waiting for her in San Junipero. She coughed, and started to hardly breathe after reminiscing those memories she had with Yujin.

 

Hitomi immediately rushed towards her and helped her, making her drink some water and even though she was in pain, Minjoo refused the medicine. She just sat there until the excruciating pain faded a little. She could taste a tangy, iron taste-like lingering in but she made sure not to spit it out and worry Hitomi even more.

 

She knew that her time was coming, and she needed to pass over. She didn’t have any fear of death, she had been ready ever since her mother and Chaewon passed away years ago. But she couldn’t help but to feel fear upon hearing Yujin’s words, that afterlife wasn’t certain, dead people aimlessly wandering. Would she be able to meet them there once more?

 

But the thought of spending eternity with Yujin in San Juniper excites Minjoo, she wouldn’t lie, it sounded too good to be true. They could do everything there without limit, they could be anything, and they were free as a bird. To do everything with Yujin.

 

It was every person’s dream to stay in San Junipero but it was a ed up place, she knew a lot of people who died and stayed there, and they looked too awful trying to feel something. But Yujin was always making her feel something, that was the difference.

 

Minjoo was more conflicted than before.

 

A few days passed, and Minjoo didn’t enjoy other systems at all. They were too bland and the person she wanted to be with was not there. She couldn’t even have fun and would even go back to reality before midnight would even strike.

 

She partied once and almost shared a kiss with someone but… she really couldn’t do it. Yujin’s sad face would pop out and that was the last straw, Minjoo didn’t visit anymore, and stayed there in reality — growing undeniably weaker as each day passed.

 

As seconds, minutes, days, weeks, and until a month or so passed, Minjoo couldn’t even stop thinking of Yujin at all.

 

Since she was getting weaker and her health started to deteriorate fast, she was rushed to the hospital after throwing up blood.

 

Minjoo was in a daze as she sat on the bed, and her fingers were fidgeting. A doctor was talking to her about her medicines and health but Minjoo couldn’t care less until the doctor said something that instantly grabbed her attention.

 

“Mrs. Ahn, you should really take your medicines on time and don’t be too stubborn.” He softly nagged at her, and Minjoo’s limp physique lit up, turning to the doctor.

 

“What did you just say?” asked Minjoo with a hoarse voice.

 

The doctor looked confused but he repeated it anyway, “I said to take your medi—”

 

“No, not that,” Minjoo immediately cut him off, “What did you just call me?”

 

The doctor blinked and looked at the hologram notepad before looking back at her, “Mrs. Ahn? Uhm, is that right? According to your data, you got remarried recently and your profile changed, it says Minjoo Kim-Ahn now.” He explained, worried, “Sorry, do you prefer to be called Ms. Kim?”

 

Minjoo stared at him for a while before shaking her head, suppressing her tears that were threatening to fall. “No,” She croaked out, trying to smile at him. “It’s the first time I’ve been called after taking my wife’s last name.” A tear finally fell.

 

“I just thought that my name got prettier.”

 

///

 

Minjoo woke up once more, coughing and she was having a hard time breathing. She was suffering greatly, and it was getting too much since she refused treatment. She asked Hitomi to take her to the balcony for some fresh air.

 

Earlier, she went to the graveyard where her mother and Chaewon lay, and gave them flowers. She stayed there for an hour or so until she started to cough uncontrollably again and started to have a nosebleed. She went home after and fell asleep, feeling a stinging sensation all over her body.

 

Minjoo eyed the sun that was just setting, and her bleary eyes stared in awe. Maybe it was really time to go.

 

“Hitomi,” Minjoo called out softly yet weakly, and Hitomi dashed towards her. “Everything’s arranged now, yes?”

 

Hitomi knew what she was exactly talking about, “Yes. Everything that you want is settled now, Minjoo. Your will, your properties, your fortune that will be mostly donated to charities…”

 

Minjoo smiled and took a deep breath, satisfied. “I’ve done my part, and I’m exhausted already,” She murmured, and Hitomi looked at her sadly.

 

With a soft gaze, Minjoo turned over to Hitomi and with a gentle smile, she said. “I’m ready to pass over now.”

 

A few days later, Minjoo sat on her bed, with doctors surrounding her. Her body was weak and she could barely move. Hitomi could only watch everything unfold at the side, trying her best not to cry but before the doctors could even do something to Minjoo, she whispered to the woman.

 

“Don’t have regrets and be happy with the one you love.”

 

The doctors injected a blue fluid inside Minjoo, and throughout the process, the old woman was just smiling gently. Once she felt it entering her body painlessly, she relaxed and finally fluttered her eyes closed — darkness consuming her.

 

“I’m sorry. I want to be selfish.”

 

///

 

Yujin was walking at the beach, sunglasses perched on her nose, and wearing an ed shirt — there was a huge smile on her face as she walked down towards the less sandy part of the beach.

 

So far, her life in San Junipero has been nothing but fun and happy. She managed to do whatever she wanted, she even made some friends who were in the same situation as her, and spent quite a lot of time with them. Genuine friends.

 

She tried but there was a hollow gap in her heart when Minjoo never appeared after that night, and she was extremely depressed, as if staying there in San Junipero lost its purpose. But she continued on, and tried to live her best life but deep inside, she hoped and waited.

 

Yujin’s smile broadened when she spotted her new friends waiting for her in their own cars, groaning as they playfully growled at Yujin. “What took you so long?” Yuri asked, and the other girl with blonde hair who was leaning against the side of her car snorted.

 

“Now, now, let’s not waste any time. Yujin is already here, doesn’t she?” Yena said, and pulled her lover inside the car.

 

Yujin just snorted at them and walked past Gaeul, and Yizhuo, both going to use their motorbikes to stroll around their little paradise once more. They just exchanged smirks and smiles as they rode their own vehicles.

 

As for Yujin, she went to the convertible blue car parked near them, and there was someone waiting for her in the passenger seat.

 

And that woman that was currently seated in her car was the main reason why she was the happiest again, why she was able to fulfill such a marvelous life in San Junipero. Because of her, her heart was once again full and she couldn’t wish for anything more.

 

Yujin got inside the car, in the driver’s seat since she was the driver for that day. She learned how to drive thanks to Yena, and it actually surprised the woman beside her when the latter first learned about it but she was pleasantly amazed.

 

“Everything’s set?” Yujin asked, glancing at the most beautiful woman that she was proud to call her lover beside her.

 

The woman with short black hair giggled, and leaned in a little to press a kiss on Yujin’s lips. “Yes. Let’s go now.” She said, and Yujin didn’t move at first, intertwining their hands together as she stared at her fondly. The woman caught the lovestruck gaze and leaned in closer, “I won’t disappear, you know. And I might melt.” She added to tease the taller woman.

 

Yujin let out a bark of laughter before taking their joined hands, pressing a sweet kiss on the back of her lover’s hand. “I can’t take my eyes off you, and I still can’t believe it, you know?” said Yujin which made the woman tilt her head in curiosity.

 

“What is?”

 

Yujin gave her a grin, using her other hand to reach for her face and tucked the strands of hair behind her ear. “That you’re my wife,” She said, leaning in to plant a kiss on her lips. She stared lovingly at her wife.

 

“And that you’re here with me to spend our eternity together, Minjoo.”

 

Minjoo giggled at her and playfully smacked her shoulder, “You’re such a hopeless romantic,” She responded, clicking her tongue playfully. “Sweet talker.” Her eyes turned soft as she stared at her wife. “I love you.”

 

And yes, Minjoo chose Yujin. To stay with Yujin forever in San Junipero because she loved her, and she wanted to spend her eternity with the person she really loved.

 

She was sure that her mother and Chaewon would understand.

 

For once, Minjoo chose to be selfish.

 

That made Yujin grin like an idiot, “I love you more.”

 

“Okay, love birds. Let’s go now and save that… lovey-dovey talk and PDA later, ugh.” Yizhuo piped in which broke the moment, revving her motorbike before dashing away with Gaeul following after with a guffaw. Yuri and Yena followed as well while giggling.

 

Minjoo and Yujin shared a look before the latter drove off, with Minjoo having fun in the passenger seat, even raising her hands up as Yujin sped off through the highway.

 

Minjoo still had an eternity to spend with her wife, Yujin.

 

///

 

A/N: and that’s a wrap! i really hope i did justice with the ending. it was supposed to be angst. my original plan was to make minjoo follow chaewon and her mother instead of yujin despite secretly desiring to be the latter because of guilt. i was actually not satisfied with the ending of the original movie since i was expecting that kelly will go with her husband and daughter instead however, i did some changes in details so i think this ending fit the best. well, that’s it, i hope i did well! thank you ate j once more for commissioning me to write this piece!