fin.

no more. (jmj ver.)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

NOTES:

time stamps matter!!!

---*--- : large timeskips/flashbacks (years)

••• : small timeskips

this is an old fic of mine made for a taylor swift ficfest. the song given was haunted.

p.s. the flow would be VERY confusing but if you have heard abt the song haunted by taylor swift, i hope you understand why it was made like that. this wasn't my best work, but enjoy :>


 

**

haunted // taylor swift

 

`` And now that she thinks about it, their love wasn't enough.

It wasn't the love Winter needed.

And even if what they shared was a beautiful thing,

Winter wasn't ready. ``

 

**




 

--- Dec 23, 2020; present ---

Crazy. She's going crazy. This is all crazy.

She'd had enough. They shouldn't have come back. They should've just stayed at Seoul, buried the memories in their mind.

They were happy. And Jimin is ruining it. All because of her. All because she let herself go weak again.

Jimin clutched the hem of her shirt as she shut her eyes tight. She could still hear her voice. She could clearly remember her eyes. The delicate look in her eyes. Her chest tightened as memories from the past flashed through her head.

This needs to stop. It's gone. All over. All gone.

"Jimin?"

She just wanted her chest to stop hurting. To stop remembering it all. But fate doesn't seem to let her.

She took her coat hanging on the room's door and quickly put it on. She didn't bother if she looked like a mess. She used to look worse.

"Where are you going?"

"Walk."

"It's late, Jimin. It's cold outside."

"Go back to sleep."

“You can’t do this-- Jimin!”

She shut the door tight. There's only one place she could think of. She's never ready but she had to see her. She had to see Winter again.

 

--- Nov 2020 ---

She hesitated so many times if she should actually agree to go back to her hometown. And yet how selfish could she be, at least she would see Yizhuo and Aeri again. Her friends, especially Yizhuo, had been flooding her with messages of how they miss her so much already.

Not that she’s doing it on purpose of not coming home. Kind of . But her schedule’s actually hectic with all the interviews and promotions. And now she’s here. Being home felt familiar, yet also somehow different. But she’s not here to feel the difference . She wouldn’t want to feel it. At least, Ryujin’s here.

It was already their third night. Her friends have decided to set a karaoke at home - meaning Yizhuo and Aeri's place, and drink. Jimin rolled her eyes at the idea. She doesn't like drinking but definitely in for some singing. It’s what she does for a living anyways.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to come?”

“Hundred percent. I won’t get in trouble. I promise.”

“Be quick and be safe.” Ryujin then kissed her cheek and smiled.

She walked for a while, looking around and noticing the changes. She missed how fresh the air is in their hometown. She barely gets to go out for a walk in Seoul and when she does, the air isn’t even that refreshing. She spots a cafe that seems familiar with the sign yet she’s sure she’s never seen it before. And since she’s out to buy some coffee, she decided to check the cafe out.

Vraie Bleu? Blue… True blue?

“Good evening! How can I help you?” The girl was smiling brightly at her and Jimin thought for a moment that she'd already seen her somewhere. Her name plate says ‘Hyewon’ .

“Uhm, I don’t have a specific drink in mind... “

“Will it be fine for you if I offer our cafe’s specialty?”

“That would be great.”

“Your name is?”

“Jimin. “

“Pretty name! Alright, Vraie Bleu ’s specialty for Jimin!”

Jimin decided to sit on the nearest table to the counter as she waited for her order. Everything about the cafe felt familiar and it’s starting to get funny for her. She looked around and everything was colored with different light shades of blue. That’s when she heard something even way more familiar.

 

You're music to my eyes

I had to listen just to find you

I'd like for you to let me sing along

Give you a rhythm you feel

 

She tried to busy herself with her phone so she wouldn't focus on the song but it just seemed to get louder. She suddenly wanted to leave and mentally cursed as she saw that Hyewon was still preparing.

 

I wanna learn your every line

I wanna fill your empty spaces

I want to play the part to reach your heart

Sing you a song that you feel, oh

 

She couldn't be wrong. The song surely is famous and has a lot of covers but why does it have to be this certain cover.

 

Love, let your music be mine

Sing while I harmonize

Let your melodies fly in my direction

Take me to your paradise

On a musical ride

I'm in love with your music, baby

You're music to my eyes

 

It's clearly her voice. And worse, Jimin's sure that this version was never released anywhere to be just played randomly over someone's new cafe.

Jimin racked her brain and tried to piece everything together. Blue. True blue. Hyewon.

"Miss Jimin, your order's ready!"

Blue. True blue. Hye–

"Hyewon-ah, I'm here!"

No. No way.

"Unnie! What did I say about shouting?"

How did I forget about Hyewon?

"You had no custo-- Oh! My apologies, miss."

Run. Jimin, leave. She had no choice but to turn and face the woman who just arrived.

"Jimin?"

This can't be happening. She can't be here.

"Winter…"

The other girl was frozen, her eyes wide in shock. Jimin suddenly regretted leaving her friends. She should've just stayed and drank or should've just let Ryujin come with her.

"I'm sorry. I need to leave." Jimin placed some money on the table and rushed her way out. She did not even bother to claim her order.

"Jimin! Wait!"

She ran and ran, not even knowing where she's heading to. She felt the familiar pain on her chest and let her tears fall. She turned to corners and finally let herself sit in front of a convenience store. She then took her phone out and pressed the speed-dial.

"Jimin! Where are you?! You said you'll be quick-- Jimin?? Are you crying? Where are you? Baby?"

"R-Ryujin. Pick me up… Take me home, p-please…"

 

--- 2016 ---

"Jimin! Oh my gosh you're gonna like this!"

"What, Yizhuo? Let me clean up in peace." Jimin groaned as she sat in front of the mirror.

The backstage room was a chaos. The other performers were packing and some of the bar's crews were getting ready for their shift.

"Someone wants to meet you!" Yizhuo said, grinning while wiggling her eyebrows.

"You know I have no time for that. What the hell, Ning! I just broke up with Jaemin!"

"Oh come on! ‘Just’?? It’s been years, don't be such a killjoy. I'm calling her, wait here!" with that, off Yizhuo went.

"Ning!" Her?

Jimin let out another groan and decided to just take her hygiene kit out. The restrooms are probably full so she had to undo her makeup at the staff room.

"Come on, Jimin. Let off some steam~'' Isa, one of the waitresses joked.

"What if that person saw your performance? Maybe she was just so amazed!" Chaeryeong, another waitress and dancer, added.

"Really? You all know that no one really pays such attention to singers here unless I go wear what you all wear and serve or dance too!" Jimin said.

She finally let her hair down, and removed the bobby pins with the help of one of the dancers.

"Ouch." Yuna made a face, putting a hand on her chest.

"Jimin, you dance too. Please." Sumin said.

"I stopped dancing. And come on, girls. You know what I mean."

"Jimin! She's here!"

Jimin rolled her eyes and didn't even bother to look up. She heard gasps which admittedly made her a little curious. But if this woman is just one of those people again, she's probably not gonna let herself stay with them in a room for more than an hour.

"So... Jimin?"

Right. She's right. She could smell, even with her back facing the woman. She looked up from the mirror and was surprised. She didn't actually expect someone like her to appear at a bar, moreover, wanting to see her.

"Winter?"

"Oh you know me? You... know Winter!"

"Everybody knows you." Jimin said, finally facing the girl.

Yizhuo had pulled a seat and placed it beside Jimin. She then gestured to Winter to sit and turned to the other girls who were still in awe. Even with the protests, Yizhuo did her best to give the two girls some space.

She can't believe Winter Kim is here. A famous band vocalist. She's an indie singer but Jimin's sure, a lot of people have listened to Winter's songs. Jimin didn't actually expect that the rumor about this girl consuming alcohol like water is actually true.

"Well, I'm sure... a lot.. not.. no... not everyone does?"

"Winter, you're an artist. But what brings you here?"

"Letting off... uh, some.... some steam?"

Jimin tried not to make a face but the odor wasn't helping. It was already too late when she saw Winter's frown, probably because of the expression Jimin just made.

"O-oh.. sorry... Sorry for.. f-for uh the smell..."

"Are you drunk?"

"Huh? Me? No, I mean I think? I'm pretty sure just tipsy though…"

Jimin looked at her skeptically before turning back to the mirror. She took out her makeup remover and some cotton pads. She could feel Winter's eyes on her and she swore she could see her pout.

"What is it, Winter?"

"You don't seem too happy to see me."

"What makes you think that way?"

"Well, you... you didn't ask for a picture or anything? And... you were surprised... but not... not smiling? You know?"

Jimin stopped wiping her face, not even bothered with the way she looks. She looked at Winter through the mirror, not sure if she should laugh or what. The girl's eyes weren't on her anymore, still the frown was there.

"Not everyone wants something from you, Winter..."

"Y-you're right... Wow, ah… yeah. I hope some people actually don't... Would've felt... better.."

"You should go home and take some-"

"I like your voice. You convey the emotions really well when you sing. I like it. It's beautiful."

Jimin looked at her, surprised. Winter was looking at her, eyes almost drooping, yet she didn't stutter. As if she's fully sober.

"You do?"

"I do. I heard you sing. I told Yizhuo and she said that I should meet you. I wasn't so sure but I'm glad I'm here."

Almost inaudible, yet again, no stutter.

"Thank you."

"Can I buy you a drink?"

"I don't drink. Actually, I'm about to go home."

"Oh, sorry. Then… uh, can I take you home?"

Jimin sighed. She was unsure of what was actually going on. A drunk girl, asking her to drink or to take her home?

"Winter. You're drunk."

"Oh, no! No! Not me… I meant, my driver. I am with my driver."

She went back to wiping her face and it was quiet for a while. She could feel Winter looking around while humming some sort of tune.

"Sure. Let me finish cleaning up, first." Jimin speaks.

"Great! I mean, I'll… uh… wait for you outside."

Jimin could hear the smile on the girl's tune. Winter then left Jimin all alone in the room. Why did she agree? She doesn't actually know. Maybe the small fact that someone finally chose to appreciate her voice first.

Or maybe how Winter's eyes looked so innocent and soft, despite the strong and sharp features she got, that Jimin didn't have the heart to reject just a simple request.

 

--- Nov 2020 ---

“What are you doing here?!”

“Oh, wow. So your best friend isn’t allowed in here anymore?”

Yizhuo tried to block her friend but she couldn’t deny that Jimin is far stronger than her. She sighed as she watched her best friend find an empty booth on the dimmer side of the bar. She followed her after getting a drink and sending a quick message to her girlfriend about Jimin.

“You’re gonna get in trouble, please.” Yizhuo said as she placed the drinks before sitting opposite of her friend.

“I’m not, Ning. Please. I just need this.”

“What if someone recognizes you?”

“I’m an adult. I can drink. I won’t get drunk. I swear.”

“You don’t drink, Jimin.”

Jimin just looks at her and again, Yizhuo sighed. There’s definitely something wrong.

“She’s here, Yizhuo. She’s here.”

“I thought you don’t care anymore.”

“I thought so too.”

 

--- 2016 ---

“You’re here again. You’re giving your manager a hard time.” Jimin said, serving the drinks.

Winter just smiled and started drinking the first glass. Jimin was about to leave but Winter was quick to grab the girl’s wrist.

“Talk to me.”

“I’m working.”

“I can pay Yizhuo for this night.”

“You won’t do that.” Jimin said seriously.

“I already did.”

Jimin looked over at Yizhuo who was at the counter and when their eyes met, Yizhuo just gave her a big grin before accommodating a new customer on the counter. She scoffed at her best friend’s antics, placing the tray on the table. Jimin then just sat in front of the girl and watched her drink her third glass.

She honestly couldn’t take the smell, ironic when she’s working at a restobar. She had no choice though. She had to juggle jobs since her mother literally spends all the money she gets to drink, nothing left for her. She needs to work to live. Yizhuo then offered her a job at her restobar, letting her work once a week. It’s funny how alcohol ruined her family and now she’s spending the night with another drunkard.

“How did you even know Yizhuo? How come I didn’t know you were friends?”

“I used to go here often. Not many people care about who I am. Safe.”

Jimin just nodded. She just recently got into her job here. She heard that Winter’s out of town for more than a month and came back here for some gigs. She was busy fumbling on her apron until she heard two knocks on the table. She looked up and saw Winter pushing a drink in front of her but she shook her head.

“Come on, it’s sweet.”

“I know. I work here.”

Winter pouted with the response, not satisfied. Jimin looked at her with an amused look and just shook her head. Winter surely acts like a child for someone who’s drunk. At least she’s not the violent type, Jimin thought.

“You know what?”

“Hmmm…”

“Let’s just get out of here?” Winter suggested and Jimin just looked at her. Confused, surprised… skeptical.

“You’re giving me that look again. Come on. I wanna spend time with you and you don’t like the smell of alcohol, so? Let’s just go~?”

Jimin was surprised with the statement. She hesitated for a moment because she was supposed to be working. Well, the girl had paid Yizhuo for her time so she obviously wanted to be with Jimin.

“Okay. Let’s go.”

 

••• 2016 •••

“Jimin?”

“Hmm?”

“Can you sing for me?”

“We’re at a parking lot, Winter.”

“Pleaseee?” Winter whined.

The taller girl tried to pull her up but Jimin just shook her head, laughing at the whining girl. Winter surely surprises her.

For the few weeks they have been spending together, she’d seen the side of Winter that people actually don’t know about.

Whiney and innocent. She whined like A LOT.

Jimin also discovered that she hadn’t experienced much fun in life because she entered the industry as a teen.

“I don’t hear your voice anymore. Come on, sing for me~”

“It’s not my fault. You won’t let me work at Yizhuo’s anymore.”

“You can sing even if you’re not working. You sound great!”

Jimin lifted a brow, smiling. Winter is now sitting in front of her, holding an ice cream with pleading eyes. For the nth time that night, Jimin laughed because of Winter.

“Alright, alright. Which song though?”

“Hmm… anything will do! But I wanna hear your song? The jazz one? Yeah! That one!”

“Alright, then.”

 

Through the descending red light

I feel your eyes ah

Endlessly entranced by my humming

You give me sweet looks

 

Did you slip in through open doors and sit down

Just to look at me like that every day

When our two eyes meet I want to stop singing

And draw closer to whisper oh nah

 

Jimin sang the verses, doing some little dances to the tune. Winter never took her eyes off Jimin as she watched the girl sing with a big smile on her face. Soon she was standing too, dancing with Jimin.

 

I feel I love you

Oh I love you

Oh I like you

Do I know you? Oh ah

 

I think I love you

Oh I love you

Oh I like you

Maybe you’ll feel it, too

 

“Alright that’s enough, your driver’s looking at us.”

“But I want more~” Winter said, sitting back on the open backside of her van.

“There’ll be more next time. For now, let’s finish our food first and get you home.” Jimin sat beside the girl, picking up her ice cream which was almost melted.

“I don’t wanna go home.” Winter whispered.

“I know you don’t but you need to rest. You can’t keep on drinking until you pass out.”

“Hmm, okay then. If that’s what you want.”

 

••• 2016 •••

“I miss Hyewon.”

“Who’s Hyewon?”

“She’s uh… my little sister.”

“Why is she not with you?”

“She’s mad at me. Can’t blame her though.

I never had time for her…

I was so busy before and she was just a kid.

But I needed to work for us…

All I did was work and drink.

Work and drink…

One day she got so fed up, she left my apartment.

Poof! Never came back. *chuckles*”

“Have you tried talking to her?”

“I always did.

But she never answers my calls.”

“In person?”

“I think I’m a coward.”

“You should try.”

“...”

“And also try to change… for your sister…”

“Hmm,”

“...”

“Jimin?”

“Yes?”

“Can I see you tomorrow?”

“Winter, you’re in Japan.”

“But… I miss you.”

“You’ll see me when you get back.”

“Really?”

“Yes, really. Now go to sleep. You need your energy for tomorrow.”

“Alright. Good night Yuji~”

“ *laughs* Good night, Winter. Rest well.”

 

••• 2016 •••

“Wow, she listens to you well.”

Jimin was surprised to see Yeji, Winter’s manager, standing beside her. She’d seen her a few times when Winter took her to some small events but they didn't actually talk. Just shared smiles and that’s it.

“What do you mean?”

“She actually didn’t wanna come tonight, but you managed to convince her.”

“Ah..”

“I’m sorry, I know you had to work.”

“It’s okay. I mean she doesn’t actually take the important times…”

Winter looked over at them and then waved with a big grin on her face. The two girls waved back, with Jimin chuckling at how cute Winter is. Winter went back to tuning her guitar and this time, Yeji turned to face Jimin, to properly talk.

“Can I offer you something? Would you want to work with us?”

“What?! I’m sorry– What do you mean?”

“Initially, it’s just about keeping Winter to work. You know she can get so stubborn and she would even try to escape. But now, all she does is talk about you… And recently, she showed me your work.”

“What work?”

“Jazz Bar. She showed it to the band and they liked your work. We could get you to record your song.”

“Wait, what? Are you serious?”

“Do I look like I am joking?” Yeji laughed, letting Jimin process what she just said.

“Think about it. I heard that this is your dream. You should take it.” Yeji added, patting her shoulders.

 

••• 2016 •••

“Jimin, this is Ryujin. Ryujin, meet Jimin.”

Jimin shook hands with the said girl and turned to Winter wide eyed. Winter just gave her a thumbs up, smiling wide. She's heard a lot about Ryujin. She could say that she's so amazed with the songs written and produced by the girl.

“Hi Jimin! It’s great to finally meet you! Minmin talks about you a lot!”

“Minmin?”

“Oh, it’s Winter’s nickname! From Minjeong. She looks so emo and intimidating outside but she’s a total baby. I’m sure you know that by now.”

Winter rolled her eyes at the statement and gestured that she’s leaving the room for a while. The two girls giggled and nodded at her.

“Oh, that is absolutely true.” Jimin laughed.

Winter had told her a few stories about Ryujin. She never actually thought that Ryujin and Winter were friends since they were teens. That explains why aside from Hyewon, it’s Ryujin who she talks about.

“So let’s get to work!”

Jimin took out her notebook and phone and let Ryujin read and listen to the songs she wrote and composed. Ryujin seemed satisfied with her works and only marked a few lines and parts that she thinks they should improve.

“Wow! I’m honestly impressed!”

“My dad was in a band and we used to s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter