The Heart of It All

The Heart of It All

The beginning…

Taemin is a modern bio scientist slash doctor who has mastered the skill of 3D printing organs to help save lives. He is young, but he’s thrown himself into his work – eating up all of his time and energy. Thus he is brilliant in his craft, albeit a little lonely. But one day he gets a crazy idea – so crazy he doesn't tell another soul, just locks himself up in his home lab for weeks and weeks, as he's decided to try and make not just an organ but a whole body. And then, most insanely, he wants to see if he can bring it to life.

Miraculously, he succeeds in this madness – building part by part and keeping them frozen until he can put them all together, treating everything with the utmost care and paying attention to every detail. If he is making this – making someone – he wants it to be perfect. Finally, he has the whole thing completed, and then comes the final step – animating the being. This is hard, and he doesn’t have much time nor experience, but he applies his medical knowledge (pretend you’re resuscitating someone, he tells himself), using a mix of CPR, handy but questionable chemicals, and then – dangerously high-voltage electricity. The final seems to be the kicker, bringing the being to life – and nearly killing Taemin in the process. One second he is over his operating table, and the next he’s on the floor with some serious chest pain. There had been a spark, and it must have jumped back at him because this is feeling like the textbook definition of electrocution.

But then, through his own pain, Taemin hears a groan, and his own problems become a secondary issue as he is immediately having to face the reality of what he’s done. The being is alive. Its heartbeat is beeping steadily on the monitor. Taemin hauls himself to his feet, turns off the machines he’d been using to bring the thing to life, and looks over the creature in awe.

Reality smacks him again. He's now faced with a living thing – fascinating but complicated – and he can't undo it; that would be killing it. It’s terrifying – it immediately feels like a mistake. Who did he think he was, playing God like this? He had created something of his own, not something natural, and Taemin’s first thought is admittedly that the creature is evil. When it’s eyes lock with his, they’re almost black and staring up at him darkly, and Taemin feels sick. Demon. I’ve created a demon.

But then the being’s features soften, making a pained expression again and shivering, and Taemin realizes he needs to take care of it. You made this choice. Now you have to live with it.

He hadn't thought ahead and immediately realizes he's gonna have to keep the being a secret – not to mention teach it ALL the basics – walking, talking, eating, all that. All the social rules, manners, culture – and he has to do it all himself. But the creature isn’t bad after all, and he’s a surprisingly fast learner. After a few months, he's asking to be named, so Taemin calls him Jongin.

He keeps Jongin in his house, let's him get used to living, staying home with him for the most part for nearly a year. Taemin needs the rest, suffering from heart pain after the electric shock, though he doesn’t get into details of it with his coworkers. At any rate, he can still work from home, printing organs from his lab as needed. He has more than enough money saved to not have to work at all, keeping it mostly a side job as he focuses on Jongin.

Jongin, whom he has to teach everything to, and run numerous tests on him to see if he’s fully functional. He learns how to walk – something substantially more difficult than teaching a toddler as Jongin is bigger than Taemin (which he probably should have thought about. Everything is more difficult with his size; Taemin has to carry him places until he’s able to walk alone. Not to mention bathe him, feed him, and more until Jongin’s motor skills develop.

Plus, in the first few weeks he lets Jongin sleep in his room, trying to watch over him himself in case something goes wrong. Taemin always passes out beside him, and so sharing the bed becomes a norm – thus, even when Taemin gives Jongin his own room, Jongin ends up crawling into bed with him a little while later, having grown attached. It’s clear he likes Taemin, eyes always lighting up whenever he sees him, and Taemin can’t really feel mad about him being a little clingy. He’s sweet, and it convinces Taemin that creating him wasn’t a mistake after all.

 

The middle…

Eventually though, Jongin gets curious about the outside world – whenever someone comes by, he’s forced to stay out of sight, and Taemin comes and goes now and then for groceries or other supplies. But Taemin tells him it's complicated for him to go out – there's a lot of people out there, and they're not all like Taemin. At least for now, Jongin will have to stay inside the house, for his protection. (Taemin doesn’t mention the vast amount of issues that could come along with anyone discovering he has someone living with him… that he created.) Jongin is understanding, appreciating Taemin’s concern and trying to learn more about the world from the inside.

Fortunately, Taemin’s wealth means he has a library of books for Jongin to read (once he learns how). There's also a television, but Taemin doesn't let Jongin use it too soon, fearing it will overwhelm and overexpose him too quickly. Jongin sticks to his books, constantly going to Taemin with questions about words and things he doesn’t understand. To Taemin, it feels a bit like raising a child, something he had never thought he would enjoy – but something about his creation’s endless curiosity and desire to learn makes Taemin fond of him, and he does his best to answer everything Jongin wants to know.

One day, Jongin gets into the fictional books, and soon he is asking Taemin about love because he keeps reading about it and doesn't understand what it is. It’s such a big topic that Taemin doesn’t even know where to begin, asking what kind of love Jongin means. He learns it’s the protagonist’s love for a man, and Taemin feels a bit stumped. Spending so much time on work all his adult years, he’s never had time for dating. As such, he admits that he has never really been good with girls and is not hugely interested – to which Jongin thinks big question time. He starts asking about the difference between men and women, Taemin quickly realizing that dear God I’ve made my life hard.

Still, he explains how people like to categorize everything and how they generally group people into two types and usually you’re supposed to be attracted to the other type but you don't have to be. Jongin sits and listens, brow furrowed until he finally points out that it all seems silly, and Taemin has to agree. Next Jongin asks if he is not attracted to guys then, and Taemin hasn’t thought about it, but realizes that it could be a possibility. Jongin notes how he doesn’t see why Taemin couldn't be, wondering if they are that different, and how one can tell a man from a woman anyway. Jongin asks what he is, so Taemin has to explain they're both males and then explain the differences between the es.

For some reason, Jongin seems a bit disappointed by this. After this Jongin says, So I shouldn't love you, leaving Taemin shocked for a moment before he wonders why on earth Jongin would do that. Considering he’s never seen or met anyone else before though, Jongin points out that Taemin is the only person he could love. Though his point is valid (and kind of sweet), Taemin points out that it doesn't mean Jongin has to love him.

After this conversation, Taemin starts to think about how it might be a good thing to let Jongin start going out so he can meet other people. But before then, he still needs more exposure. Considering Jongin becomes curious about how women (and other men) look, Taemin let's him start watching TV and movies, so he can start getting used to them and hopefully pick up on social cues and rules too. This makes Jongin grow more and more eager to go out, like an excited child.

Taemin finds it cute in a way, but also scary because he’s worried that things could go very wrong. (And some tiny voice nags at him that he doesn’t want to lose Jongin. Not because Jongin is beautiful and sweet and endearing, but because he is Taemin’s precious creation, of course.) Jongin keeps asking questions all the time and Taemin tries to answer them as best as he can. But eventually Taemin has to get back to work, to living his own life, and Jongin gets too lonely without him. At this point, Taemin realizes it’s time for Jongin to experience the outer world.

They start experimenting, going out on early mornings when there are few people and taking walks around the neighbourhood. Jongin enjoys them, though he stays close to Taemin during them. Soon they begin visiting cafes, restaurants, and then, when Taemin thinks he can handle it, bars. Those he saves for last, as he knows social interaction is more probable there. They create a backstory for Jongin in case any questions are asked, but Jongin’s still awkward when people try to talk to him. Eventually, someone tries kissing him, and he’s too uncomfortable to stay any longer, asking Taemin to go home.

Back home, Taemin apologizes for Jongin’s experience, saying that he thought Jongin would have liked it more. Jongin notes that someone tried to kiss him, and Taemin says that Jongin has expressed wanting to try kissing someone before (though some part of him feels just the tiniest bit relieved that Jongin didn’t like it). Then Jongin clarifies that he didn’t mean a stranger – though he wouldn’t mind kissing Taemin. This leaves Taemin incredibly flustered, not knowing what to say other than why would you want that?! Surprisingly, Jongin pins Taemin back against the wall, crowds him in and kisses him, saying that he trusts Taemin, feels safe and at home with him. Taemin is stunned, but emphasizes that they are friends, not lovers, and kissing isn’t something that friends do. Then he encourages Jongin to get to know someone new, although his heart is left fluttering at the thought of the kiss.

For once, Jongin doesn’t listen. One night while Taemin is working, he tries to prepare dinner for them, going to the grocery store by himself and buying steak and wine – he’s seen it in enough movies to know it’s the go-to meal, though he asks an old lady in the steak section for advice. He ends up going home with some vegetables and steak sauce, and then has the struggle of a lifetime figuring out how to cook. It ends up poorly done – the steaks a little burnt and tough, the vegetables over-boiled – but at least the wine is alright.

Taemin gets home just as Jongin is putting things on plates, rushing in as he smells the cooking (and burning) and wondering what on earth Jongin is doing. Seeing Jongin having prepared dinner for them though, he feels affectionate (and relieved that Jongin is okay). And he doesn’t mind in the slightest that the food isn’t made well, because Jongin says he wanted to do something for you, because you always do things for me and it makes him extra soft.

But then, after dinner, they watch a movie – something child appropriate, because Taemin always tells Jongin not to watch anything over PG13 – and Jongin decides to kiss Taemin again. They’ve both had some wine, and Taemin blames it on this, saying he’ll have to keep Jongin away from alcohol. But Jongin says that’s not it, that he wants to kiss Taemin, and it makes Taemin nervous. Because surely, this kind of relationship can’t be appropriate between them – Taemin made Jongin! That’s too much to explain to him though, so Taemin brushes him off gently, saying again that it’s just the effect of the alcohol.

This pushes Jongin to try again a few days later. He makes sure they’re both sober, coming in from his morning shower for breakfast and pausing to lean Taemin back against the counter where he’s preparing his cereal, kissing him in a way that steals his breath away. When Jongin pulls back, Taemin asks what he’s doing, and Jongin tells him that he’s kissing him while they aren’t drunk to prove himself. Taemin tells him not to, that they shouldn’t be, and they have an awkwardly silent breakfast after that.

Still, Jongin isn’t completely discouraged. He’s felt things in his chest every time he’s kissed Taemin now, and he suspects that feeling must be love. He tries yet again, a week later as they’re lying in bed together. When Jongin kisses him, Taemin’s eyes briefly close, but then he pulls away, worry clear in his eyes as he says they shouldn’t do this. Jongin asks why, but Taemin just tells him it’s complicated.

Jongin doesn’t accept this, prodding for an explanation, and Taemin admits he’s worried what people would think if they knew. In response, Jongin points out that they don’t know, that it’s just the two of them there and that they can keep things a secret, and also that Taemin shouldn’t worry so much about everyone else if it made him unhappy. With a bit more convincing, he’s able to get Taemin to agree that he might be right, and from then on, a new side of their relationship starts to bloom.

 

The end…

From then on, Taemin starts to work hard on cementing Jongin’s identity. He pulls a lot of strings with some legal connections to get him registered legally with an ID card to prove it. Then he gets a bank and phone for Jongin with it, claiming Jongin as his private intern and paying him each month accordingly. Jongin takes his new role seriously, doing his best to study and observing Taemin when he works at home. At the same time, they become increasingly affectionate, Taemin doing his best to hold in his passion (although the same can’t be said for Jongin, who constantly pushes things too far). He’s able to hold Jongin back for a while, but then Jongin goes against Taemin’s TV rule and watches a rated movie with explicit scenes.

That night, he brings it up to Taemin in bed, explaining how he’d seen a couple doing more than kissing. It makes Taemin blush as he realizes what he means, and then Taemin only becomes more flustered when Jongin says he wants to do it with him too. At this, Taemin has to admit that he doesn’t know how to – at least, not with a man. So Jongin asks if he can research it, making Taemin laugh but agreeing to do so for him.

Things continue to develop between them, Taemin researching and then the two of them exploring their ualities together. They grow all the much closer, and Taemin leaves behind his guilts as he falls for Jongin. It remains between them for a while though, until one day, something goes wrong.

Taemin’s experimenting again. Not to make a whole person – he doesn’t ever want to do that again, Jongin is enough – but he wants to try animating a heart, see if he can get it beating on its own. How hard could it be?

His first mistake is doing it alone. Jongin knows he’s down in his lab working, but he himself is upstairs, watching television. Then the lights flicker, and there’s a bang, followed by a quieter thud. Jongin jumps up, immediately worried and hurrying down to the lab. When Taemin doesn’t answer the door, Jongin lets himself in – finding Taemin unconscious on the floor.

Terrified, Jongin rushes over to him, then calls the hospital for help. He explains the situation, how he’d found Taemin unconscious and now he wasn’t waking up. The staff ask if he’s breathing, which Jongin confirms, and they tell him they’re sending an ambulance. A few moments of panic later, it arrives, and Taemin stirs as they begin moving him onto a stretcher. He asks Jongin to turn off the machines and put the organ in the freezer, and Jongin obeys before hurrying after them. His own heart feels like its cracking into pieces as he holds Taemin’s hand, Taemin squeezing so tight his hand might fall off (not that Jongin cares).

At the hospital, another doctor does a scan of his chest, finding the damage to his heart from the latest shock, but also noticing the older, healed scars and having to ask if this is Taemin’s first time experimenting this way. He admits he’s tried it before, and though he’s scolded, he’s put on heavy painkillers and treated as best as they can. Jongin refuses to leave the room, holding Taemin’s hand whenever he’s able. This doesn’t go unnoticed, and eventually Taemin is asked about their relationship. Jongin was supposed to be his intern, after all.

At this point, Taemin admits that things have developed between them, not wanting to hold back anymore. God knows he might be dying, and even if he wasn’t, he wasn’t going to keep hiding it. No one would find out about Jongin’s origins. It was time he embraced the relationship publicly. So he does, and he is advised to either end it or end the internship for professionalism sake. He agrees, promising to sort it out when he’s out of the hospital.

He isn’t the same after, physically. His health declines, but Taemin continues working (though he doesn’t experiment anymore). Mostly, he chooses to work from home where he can be comfortable and with the one he loves. They’re open about their relationship now, neither ashamed or making any attempt to hide it anymore. Jongin takes care of Taemin on his weaker days, but they still travel and celebrate and live well overall.

While Taemin’s health grows worse, Jongin seems to age more slowly over the years. But Jongin’s love for Taemin never fades, only growing more and more every day. In fact, they spend the rest of their lives together. A few decades later, Jongin wakes to find Taemin passed on from a heart attack in his sleep. Overwhelmed with grief, guilt, and the greatest sadness one could imagine, Jongin is only able to call an ambulance and wait for them to arrive before he joins Taemin, too heartbroken to even imagine living without him. He knows Taemin’s weakened condition is partially his fault, and knows his existence is entirely thanks to Taemin, and there isn’t a single thing for him to live for if Taemin isn’t there anymore.

And whether Jongin’s creation was moral or not, both their hearts are fully healed when they find one another in their next life, and they live a happy eternity together as one another’s forever homes.

 

 

Author's Note: This is the cute story of how Frankenstein and his monster lived happily ever after!
Thank you so much for reading, and let me know if you think this should be made into a full version ♡