Chapter 2

HER

After her tour, Dr. Jung returned to the Nurses’ Station. Because Doc Hyun Jin is still attending to some OPD patients, she told her to wait at the doctor’s quarters. But the lovely doctor chose to stay at the nurses’ station and chatter with us. I pretended to be busy with the patients’ charts, checking if all entries are correct and if all orders have been properly carried out. But the truth is, I’m secretly listening to their conversation, taking a mental note of everything the doctor said about herself.

“Do you have a relative here in South Korea, Dr. Jung? Or are they all living in the UK?” I heard Tiffany ask.

“Most of my family members are living in England, China and Thailand due to their work. But I do have some relatives here too. Doc Hyun Jin is one of them.”

The girls gasped at the information. Now that explains their resemblance and Doc Hyun Jin’s odd smile earlier.

“Wow...I assumed that you two were related but I didn’t expect it to be true. Is that why you chose to work in this small hospital? Because Doc Hyun Jin is here?”

The killer smile of Dr. Jung once again became visible as she nodded in response.

“Will you be staying at her place while working here?” Sunny asked.

“Yes. I was planning to look for an apartment but unnie insisted that I should stay at her house. But we agreed that once I’ve become accustomed to the culture here, I can go find my own flat."

"The two of you have different family names. How did you become related to her?”

“Her mother and my mom are first degree cousins on the maternal side.”

“Ahh. I see. Do you, by chance, have a Facebook account, Dr. Jung? Can we add you on Facebook?”

“Of course.”

Sunny eagerly gave her phone to the doctor to search her Facebook account. I must admit that was a bold move. I envy her for having such courage to do it.

After Sunny sent the friend request, everybody did the same except for the (un)interested me. They immediately explored the doctor’s Facebook profile after the latter accepted their friend requests.

“Wow! You’re a graduate of Harvard, Dr. Jung?” Sooyoung asked, partly covering in shock.

A timid smile drew on the doctor’s face. “It’s where my mum graduated. So even if we have Oxford, I went to the US to study in Harvard.”

“Wow. You’re amazing Dr. Jung.” Sooyoung gave the doctor a two thumbs up.

“Can I ask another question Dr. Jung?” says Tiffany.

“Anything,” the doctor replied cheerfully, which further made my friends comfortable in asking questions.

“Your uniforms in some of the photos have the NHS logo. Does it mean you worked in UK?”

“Umm yes.”

“Really? For how long?”

“Nine years.”

Because of the girls’ prying questions, I discovered some amazing facts about Jessica. She is a prodigy. She accelerated to high school. At fifteen, she finished her degree in Neuroscience and Psychology and became a doctor at the age of twenty. Both of her parents are famous doctors in England. Her relatives in China owns a pharmaceutical company and her relatives in Thailand run a huge private hospital. They wanted her to work there when Jessica decided to look for another job outside UK. However, the humble (and gorgeous) doctor preferred to work in the place where her family originated.

 

“She is so perfect, isn’t she?” Tiffany said after the new doctor left the hospital, half an hour before our shift ends. I just hummed in response. “Did you add her on Facebook?”

“No.”

“No? Why not?”

“Um...I was busy while you were chatting with her. Besides, it’s not that important, right?”

“Are you crazy? Yoong, adding her on Facebook is as important as your beloved nursing duties. She’s part of the team now. By adding her on social media, you can easily chat her regarding patient’s concerns. Right?”

Tiffany’s looking at me with puppy eyes so there was nothing I could do. “R-Right.”

“Good. Now add her on Facebook.”

“I...I don’t know her profile name.”

Tiffany laughed at my statement. She quickly snatched my phone, opened the Facebook app and typed Dr. Jung’s profile name then sent the friend request. It’s already night time when the doctor accepted it. She was probably busy with other stuffs so it took her a while to open the social media app.

While I was scrolling down her aesthetic-filled account, a new message notification popped on my screen. My heart beat fast when I saw the name of the sender. It was the Jessica Jung.

Jessica SYJ : Hello Nurse Yoona! Sorry it took three hours before I accepted your friend request. I was busy. I was at the mall with unnie’s brother. We bought a lot of stuff.

After that message was a cute picture of her standing in front of a pile of shopping bags. She sure bought a lot. I was in the midst of typing my reply when she sent another message.

Jessica SYJ: I thought you didn’t like me because you barely talked to me at the hospital. So I’m glad to find out it was you who sent the friend request.

There was even a flying kiss emoji at the end of her message. Gosh! I can’t handle her cuteness.

Yoona Yoong: Sorry about that Dr. Jung. I was busy with work so I couldn’t pay attention to you.

Lie. I was only pretending to be busy. I told Tiff that I’m not interested about Dr. Jung so I needed to put an act.

Jessica SYJ: It’s okay. Sunny said you’re a workaholic so I understand if you were busy.

I paused at that message. She talked to Sunny about me? As if on cue, Jessica sent another message to explain why she knows my habit.

Jessica SYJ: Sorry. I chatted Sunny after I left. I asked her a few things about you. I hope you don’t mind that.

Feeling inspired, I typed my reply while a smile is plastered on my face.

Yoona Yoong: Nope. Not at all. You can ask me questions if you want to.

That reply lengthened our conversation. Although her questions were the ones commonly asked by people who want to get to know each other, I was happy because I was chatting with the Jessica Jung. I even slept with a smile on my face.

“Looks like someone is in a good mood,” Sooyoung teased after seeing me at the nurses’ station. I’ll be working from 7AM to 3PM again today and tomorrow will be my day off.

“I’m always in a good mood. You know that work means everything to me, Soo” I replied, hiding the smile I’d been wearing since I woke up.

“No. I disagree. Something’s different with you today. I just can’t point out what it is.”

“Probably because tomorrow’s my day off?”

“Huh! Day offs don’t excite you, Miss Im. So? What is it? Spill the tea.”

“Nothing. I’m just happy okay? No special reason at all.”

Sooyoung said “okay” but the look she gave me was the opposite of what she said. I guess I need to practice wearing a blank expression from now on.

Meanwhile, while I was preparing my patient’s medication, Tiffany approached me. “I can’t wait for Monday to come,” she said. “What’s your work schedule on Monday?”

“Seven to three.”

“Ah~ You’re so lucky. You’ll be able to see Dr. Jung for a long time. Mine is night shift. If there’s no emergency patient, I might not be able to see her. She’d probably be cooped up at the doctor’s quarters for the entire shift.”

Tiffany didn’t hold back her frustration over her work schedule next week. Though I sympathized her, at the back of my mind, I was celebrating because Tiffany’s right. Working in the morning shift this coming Monday and Tuesday means plenty of time for me to see the Jessica Jung. For the first time, I will be seeing her doing her job as a doctor. She will be wearing a scrub suit. She’ll be wearing a smock gown. And God I can already imagine how y that is!