fin

If Snow Falls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Okay, so you're telling me that you two haven't ki—"

Before Yerim says "Kissed", Seungwan stretches out her right hand to cover the brunette's mouth. The blonde then looks around the room as if they are suddenly surrounded by zombies.

Their boss once rented six rooms on this floor for the whole team to use. The chill room is in the far end of the corridor, plus she and Yerim's room is next to it. Other nine members were divided into three groups, so they work in the other three rooms while the boss uses the sixth room alone.

"Yah, Son Seungwan, there're only two of us here!" Yerim manages to remove the blonde's hand after a while, "Why are you so scared?"

The materials for making architectural models are spread across the floor and neither of them bother to clean up — even if she or Yerim does this, the two of them will turn the room into a complete mess again later since making these models is an eternity of using glue plus things like large foam and paper boards. Seungwan is just grateful for their boss taking this situation into account and letting them work in a space that is large enough. 

"Your voice is too loud!"

"It isn't!"

Yerim actually didn't ask her about such detailed information earlier since the brunette just wanted to know if everything went well after Seungwan and Joohyun started dating for several months. Thus, after the blonde told her everything was fine, Yerim nodded and was about to start working. However, before she could turn on her computer, Seungwan said there was still one thing bothering her so she looked at her again. 

"So what's that?"

"We haven't done anything further yet."

Yes, she and Joohyun went out when they both were free. However, when they went somewhere not far away from their workplaces, they worried about bumping into their colleagues. When the places where they stayed were private enough plus the timing was good, they could suddenly become too shy to kiss each other.

"You and Joohyun unnie are really hopeless cases." Yerim sighs exaggeratedly while shaking her head.

"We're not, okay? And I'll deal with this anyway."

Not going to force Yerim to come up with a possible solution with her, Seungwan then turns on her own computer instead. While waiting for the screen to light up, the blonde leans back. Listening to Yerim typing on her white keyboard, her mind wanders. 

Seungwan loves Christmas, though after receiving a hanja book from her parents that she had never asked for on Christmas when she was still a kid, she didn't believe Santa Claus anymore. After this, she also started to realize that there was no wonderland in this world. 

It says that if couples spend time together when the first snow falls, then they will be together forever. Checking the layout that she hasn't finished drawing, Seungwan sips at her iced cappuccino. When she tastes the cream, she suddenly remembers Joohyun's eye smile when the raven haired woman passed her the coffee earlier, and it makes her heart pound.

Seungwan has never been into those romantic stories, plus she always believes that if a couple are going to stay together for a long time, then it will happen anyway. There is no need for her to believe a random story to achieve this.

Staring at the straw, Seungwan gives herself a wry smile.

However, she finds that she sometimes cannot help but imagining kissing Joohyun when they watch first snow together, even if the blonde is absolutely certain that it will just be an imagination — the only public holiday in December is Christmas, and when it finally comes, the snow already has fallen for god only knows how many times.

Additionally, she already finished checking the weather forecast. As expected, it said although the weather would be cloudy for days plus temperature would continue to drop, it was not going to snow in the next few days. Realizing that she actually feels a little upset about it, Seungwan sighs and looks out of the window. Christmas is coming, but now she has mixed feelings about this long-awaited holiday.

Joohyun is now having her lunch. More accurately, since customers can enter the shop anytime, she just stands behind the counter consuming bread and coffee — a grilled salmon sandwich with dill sauce, plus a cup of iced americano — as usual. One of her favorite things about this coffee shop is the food they offer always tastes so good, and it does help her boost her energy.

Every barista has their own duties. For instance, she is in charge of checking coffee machines while some others are responsible for cleaning the floor. All of them take turns washing the glasses and coffee cups used by customers. 

Joohyun glances around the room. The weather is getting colder, thus recently, the café has been crowded all day long because almost everyone craves hot drinks. Kids come here with their friends or parents before they go to school, lots of young couples can also be seen in the shop. Today is Christmas Eve, and the raven haired woman has been making coffee almost without having a break. 

Seeing a couple approaching, Joohyun swallows the last piece of her food immediately, then puts her coffee aside. After the couple left the shop with drinks in their hands, the barista takes a sip at her drink again, and then sighs. One of her female co-workers pats her shoulders gently, and Joohyun manages a smile to show she is fine. All baristas are actually exhausted after dealing with numerous customers in such a short period of time, so she does not want any of them to worry about her too much.

The thought of having a date with Seungwan tomorrow is one of the biggest reasons why she can still carry on working. The raven haired woman takes a deep breath, then ties her hair back fast before she welcomes another customer. 

 

Joohyun is now wearing a black sweater. She puts on a beige coat and a caramel scarf. Next, she checks her makeup in front of the mirror while putting on a stud earring in her right earlobe. Seungwan did not tell her anything about her plan for today's date.

"Please look forward to it." 

Looking at the text the blonde sent her last night again, the raven haired woman smiles, then pushes the door of her small room open.

When they arrive at a shop on a shopping street arm in arm, Joohyun is surprised to find this is the coffee shop where she has wanted to have afternoon tea since long ago. This café is really popular among youth, Joohyun has also visited the shop several times before she met Seungwan. However, every time she went there, there were always at least thirty people on the waitlist. She did not have the patience to wait for too long, thus she eventually gave up.

Since most stores on shopping streets are closed during public holidays, maybe they do not want to miss the chance of making money so that's why the shop is still open. 

Joohyun only mentioned that she wanted to go there for once, thus she does not expect Seungwan to actually remember it. 

"I made seat reservations." The blonde says while looking at the raven haired woman. She is in her black leather jacket and blue jeans. 

Leaving aside the information of booking seats here which she has no knowledge of, Joohyun bites her bottom lip shyly, then says, "Thank you so much, Seungwan."

The blonde smiles brightly while entering the room with the other woman. She plans to have a self-guided dessert tour with Joohyun today, and this is their first stop.

This café is a bit larger than the one where Joohyun works at. As soon as she walks into the shop, she smells the aroma of fresh citrus fruits. Standing in front of the counter with Seungwan, Joohyun finds them also putting ornaments everywhere — glasses with candy canes are placed on the counter, small and large red bows on the pillars, string lights hang from the places where the wall lights are installed. Since eating cakes on Christmas is a must in the country, they order two pieces of cakes with iced drinks.

The counter with a wooden tabletop is in the middle of the room. A female barista takes their orders, and Seungwan leads Joohyun to a table located in the left-hand side of the café. 

Walking while looking around to learn the decoration, Seungwan finds the reason why this place has been very popular. Because they use floor-to-ceiling windows to replace the load-bearing walls on the building envelope except the one behind the counter, the view is impressive. Plus, since light beige is the main color, the room looks elegant.

Usually, fancy restaurants adopt this design style and it allows customers enjoying the night view while taking their meals, but the expenditure of visiting these places can be a huge burden on students and people who start out their careers, so it is understandable that the shop has become an ideal alternative for young couples if they want to have a memorable date.

The weather is still a bit gloomy, but it does not bother Seungwan at all.

It is natural for Joohyun to watch other baristas work while waiting for their food, but it also makes her wonder if she had never become a barista for no reason. She is surprised at her own thoughts since she never thought about such things before. 

It is now ten thirty in the morning. The baristas make micro adjustments — they change the grind according to how much coffee is in their portafilters — whenever they make an espresso shot. It's hard for customers to notice these actions, but Joohyun recognizes them immediately because she herself has repeated them thousands of times. All baristas feel so energetic which makes Joohyun's heart slightly ache. 

It does not mean she ever regrets choosing to be a barista or something. Joohyun is used to living a hectic life, but subconsciously she has known that she is also desirous of escaping from her daily routine even just for a while — living not as a barista but a customer. Just enjoy her favorite coffee without feeling burdensome of improving and being plagued by wrist and lower back aches. 

In order to banish the thought from her mind, Joohyun looks at the Christmas tree standing in front of the door. After a short while, she starts scanning the empty stocking stuffers on the tree. 

She once believed in Santa Claus when she was a child. While growing up, she realized that she had to rely on herself to achieve her goals rather than pinning her hopes on a fictional figure. Therefore, from a certain time, Joohyun did not make wishes on Christmas anymore. However, whenever it snows, she cannot help but feel snowflakes piling up on the ground form a winter wonderland even after she became an adult, and she always gets her urge to make a wish back during those times.

The ground looks so clean when snow falls. The world goes quiet, everything seems to get back to the way it was.

At that moment, the tall barista is calling them. Joohyun asks Seungwan to just sit there, then she stands up and approaches the counter. After placing everything on their table, the raven haired woman sits down again and sips at her iced lemon balm tea. She did not order any type of coffee earlier since sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter