End of Beginning

Chicago
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Winter sat quietly on her seat as she watched the night sky pass by. She is grateful that she was given the luxury to ride her own private jet plane. Most of her days, she spends in loud, buzzing crowds. Everywhere she goes, people swarm around her. Bright lights, camera flashes, screams. The life of a star.

 

It is on days like this that she gets to enjoy the silence. She looks over the window and already sees the city lights. She’s almost home.

 

She arrives at her house around midnight. The street is empty and no one is around, the perfect arrival for someone who doesn't want to be seen.

 

“Minjeong.” She hears her say and somehow, she is reminded of who she was before the fame.

 

She was welcomed with a warm hug. The warmest hugs she had ever felt will always come from her.

 

“I missed you, Jimin. How are you? How’s our baby?” she asks.

 

“Oh, she’s been nothing but wonderful. She’ll tell you all about her adventures tomorrow.” Jimin answers. “For now, let’s get you inside, okay? How was your tour?”

 

They went inside and Winter took in the surroundings. Nothing drastic has changed except for the Christmas decorations that are already situated in the house.

 

“It’s the same every time, tiring, really. But the crowd gets larger each time.”

 

Jimin smiled sweetly and held her cheek, “My super star.”

 

Winter leaned over Jimin's touch. How she missed her touch. How she missed that smile.

 

“At least now you get to rest, you’re on break, right?”

 

“Yup. For the Holidays.”

 

Jimin stood up when the coffee pot whistled. Winter felt fuzzy in her stomach, Jimin surely knows her. How she needed the coffee without her even realizing she needed one.

 

“That’s great. And your contract is almost over, right? You can get all the rest you need.”

 

“I..” Winter started, and Jimin looked over her shoulder to show that she’s listening, “I decided to renew my contract.”

 

She heard the sound of silver hitting a ceramic stop. She saw Jimin froze. Silence.

 

“I.. as you said, I’m a s-star, rising star. I’m gaining the affection of the public. I’m.. I’m at my peak. I.. I can’t quit just yet.” she stuttered trying to find the right words.

 

The stirring of coffee continued but no words left Jimin’s mouth. Once the coffee had been made, she went to Winter with a smile on her face.

 

“Here, drink this first.” She says.

 

They went to bed that night without a word. She couldn’t figure out if Jimin was upset or how she felt. All she knows is she made a mistake breaking the news right away. She could’ve waited.

 

Winter couldn’t sleep a wink, no matter how tired she was. She tossed and the bed.

 

“Minjeong.” Jimin whispered, which startled Winter. She thought the other woman was already asleep.

 

“I’m sorry. Did I wake you?” Jimin smiled and shook her head.

 

“You’re always like this on the first night. Come here.” Winter scooted over to Jimin and she was engulfed in her embrace.

 

She closed her eyes and took in Jimin’s smell, Jimin’s warmth, and Jimin's presence. No matter where Winter goes, this will always be the warmest bed she’ll ever know. In bed, in Jimin’s embrace. All of her worries seemed to disappear and she was soon taken into slumber.

 

She woke up the next day feeling rejuvenated. All she needed was Jimin, to feel energized again.

 

She went downstairs and was welcomed with the smell of pancakes and bacon. She is home.

 

“Mama!” she heard someone calling, then she heard loud incoming footsteps. Lastly, she felt little arms around her leg.

 

“Minji.” she smiled fondly at the kid.

 

“Mama Minjeong! I missed you! I waited and waited! I thought you weren’t coming! But I still waited!” the kid continuously said.

 

“I’m here now, aren’t I? I bought you many gifts!”

 

“Yey!” The kid cheered enthusiastically.

 

“Hey! Let’s eat first before all that.” Jimin scolded the two. Minji gave Winter a toothy smile which made Winter’s heart swell in happiness.

 

After breakfast, Winter and Minji went to her car to get her gifts. The kid couldn’t even finish her breakfast properly and Winter thought, “did she even chew her food?”

 

Minji was opening her presents in their living room when Jimin went downstairs, already dressed for outside.

 

“Are you going somewhere?” Winter asked.

 

“I’ll just go and get some groceries.”

 

That caught Minji’s attention, “Mom, can I come?” she asked, almost forgetting her toys.

 

“I’ll be quick, honey.” Jimin tells her daughter apologetically. Winter knew Jimin couldn’t do groceries whenever Minji came along.

 

“We can go with you. I’ll look out for Minji so you can focus on the groceries.” Winter offered.

 

“It’s fine, Winter. A lot of people will be at the grocery and some may recognize you. Just enjoy each other’s company while I’m gone. I’ll be quick.” Jimin gave the two soft kisses before leaving the house.

 

Winter felt something was odd.

 

Was it how Jimin declined her offer when on other times, she would’ve loved it that they do domestic things together, such as groceries?

 

Was it how her kiss never touched her skin, only just above her hair?

 

Or was it the way she called her Winter and not her real name?

 

Winter shrugged it off. Must’ve slipped her mind since she was in a hurry.

 

The kid finished opening her presents from Winter and Winter was satisfied with how the kid looks elated. Minji suddenly left her sitting on the living room floor and rushed upstairs.

 

“Wait there!” she ordered. Winter chuckled. How bossy.

 

Not too long, she watched Minji descend from the stairs.

 

“Here!” she excitedly said and gave her a piece of folded paper.

 

“What’s this?” Winter asked.

 

“It’s my gift for you. Open it!”

 

Winter did what the kid asked and she was delighted to see three stick figures holding each other. There was a Christmas tree in the drawing and the stick figures were wearing Santa hats.

 

“That’s mom, and this is me, and this is you, mama.” Minji explained.

 

Winter felt tears start to pool in her eyes.

 

“Oh no, mama. Are you sad? Why are you crying? Is it ugly?” Minji asked, alarmed.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter