fin.

Winter Encounters
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hot Americano for Seulgi!" Seulgi stood from her chair and made her way toward the counter when she heard her name.

 

"One hot Americano." The barista reads her order again. The woman giggled, which caught Seulgi's attention, and she saw the former's cheeks turn beet red when their eyes met. "For Seulgi," she continued.

 

"Yep, that's me," Seulgi chuckles, casually raising her hand to be recognized.

 

Seulgi smiled awkwardly when she saw the woman staring at her as if she were daydreaming.

 

She cleared to get the woman's attention, which was successful because the woman was now acting as if she were looking for something.

 

"Can I get a tissue, please?"

 

"Oh. Right. Sure," the barista replied, turning to her left to get tissues, which she handed to Seulgi.

 

"Thank you," Seulgi mouthed and turned right away without waiting for the woman's reply. She quickly made her way toward the door.

 

It was not the first time it had happened to her. And she had a feeling it would not be the last time. Apparently, it happens often whenever she goes to order drinks in a cafe. Even Wendy, her best friend, labeled her as the "baristas' favorite" due to the fact that most of the baristas, men and women alike, always have this dreamy look in their eyes whenever Seulgi takes her order from the cafe counters.

 

She does not have any idea how that happens, but one thing is for sure: Seulgi is endowed with charms.

 

She took a deep breath before opening the glass doors of the cozy cafe.

 

Seulgi blinked her eyes faster than normal, trying to resist the cold from hurting her eyes. She took a sip of her drink and felt her insides slowly getting warm.

 

The snow is getting heavier this time. According to what she recalls, the winter this year will be colder than the previous year. She exhaled and bit her lower lip to stop it from trembling. It was pointless at this point, but somehow she hoped for a miracle to happen. A little sunlight will do the trick.

 

Her phone buzzed, which caught her attention. She fished it out from the side pocket of her winter coat.

 

"Seulgi, Mom said you must come home tonight. She wants you to have dinner with us."

 

Seulgi smiled after reading the message. Her best friend really texted her, emphasizing the word "must" by typing it in caps lock. Silly. She thought.

 

She and Wendy have been best friends since they were in high school. They practically treat each other as sisters now. There was also a time when Wendy's mom teased the girl by calling Seulgi "darling" and calling her daughter "Wendy." Wendy's eyes almost fall off their sockets out of shock. Seulgi thought it was hilarious.

 

"You must come tonight. Mom seriously missed her fake daughter. "She won't stop nagging at me until I show her my text."

 

Seulgi laughed at her friend’s antics.

 

"I will. Tell my fake mom I will definitely come tonight." She typed it in and pressed send.

 

"Oh, my God!"

 

Seulgi was about to call her friend when her attention was caught by a woman's voice.

 

She turned her head to her right to search for the source of the voice. She slowly walked toward the side of the cafe and saw a woman whose right foot was buried in the snow.

 

Seulgi approached the woman, keeping her steps as light as possible to prevent getting buried in the pile of snow.

 

"Stop moving," she instructed the woman. "The more you move, the deeper your foot will be buried."

 

"Oh" was the woman's only response.

 

Seulgi looked around, looking for a place to put her cup of hot Americano. Good thing the spot below the streetlight, which was just three meters away from where she was standing, was clear. She put down her cup and went back to the woman.

 

"Here, take my hand." She held her right hand out for the woman to hold.

 

The woman took her hand without hesitation. Seulgi pulled her with one hand, but the snow was getting heavier, and the wind was getting stronger. One hand is useless. So with all her might, she held the woman's hands with both hands and pulled the latter out.

 

When she successfully pulled the woman out, she smiled triumphantly, but the action must have been so strong that she lost her balance, causing her to fall on her buttocks and the woman to trip and land on top of her.

 

Seulgi has no idea what kind of enchantment the woman performed on her because she could not make a single move. She was frozen. It's the first time she's seen the woman's face, and they're practically so close that she can feel the woman's heartbeat as if it were her own.

 

The woman's almond-shaped eyes complemented the curve of her lips. Her nose is doing a little scrunching because of the cold. Her cheeks were a bright beet red. Her face is simply perfect. So perfect.

 

A cool

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter