(MS) Names

2023 Monthly Writing Challenge

Byul lay on the bed, listening to music and scrolling through her phone when her roommate, Yong, burst through the door with tears in her eyes.

She watched as Yong ran to her bed, plopped down, and buried her face in her pillow.

They've been roommates for about 2 years now but Byul and Yong aren't exactly friends. They don't dislike each other, but they certainly don't like each other either.

The two don't have much in common except for the fact that they're both taking art courses in college and that they share a living space. They rarely talk to each other unless one of them has a problem or something needs to be taken care of around the house. Other than that, they are pretty much just roommates who occasionally hang out together and pretend to be friends.

Byul looked over at her roommate's bed and contemplated whether she should ask her what was wrong or just leave her be. In the end, Byul just left her alone and continued to listen to her music. It wasn't her place to ask and even if she did, what good would it do? So she continued to scroll through her phone and just let Yong cry on the bed, in peace.

After a while, Yong sat on the bed and looked at Byul with a defeated expression on her face, "Hey, Moon, do you have a date for Valentine's day?" she asked in a timid voice and Byul looked at her with a raised eyebrow, "Now, why would I waste my time with something stupid like valentine's day date, Kim?" she replied sarcastically and then went right back to scrolling through her phone again.

She heard her roommate sigh and watched as Yong stood up from  her bed, "Yeah, Valentine's day is stupid," she heard Yong say under her breath as she started heading for the bathroom.

Byul shrugged it off but a part of her felt bad, and she suddenly remembered that one time they watched a movie together and there was a scene where the lead went on a valentine's day date, "I want a date like that, Moon." she remembers Yong saying wistfully, "I want someone who would do something special for me, like take me on a really fancy dinner under the stars and ..." Yong's voice in her memory trailed off and Byul shook her head as if to clear it of those thoughts.

She started to feel even worse but she doesn't know why. It's not like they were friends or anything and it wasn't her responsibility to care about what made Yong happy or sad.

But she did care, at least a part of her did.

With a heavy sigh, Byul stood up and walked towards the bathroom to check on her roommate and as she opened the door she caught a glimpse of Yong sitting on the toilet crying her eyes out. She stood at the door with an expression of concern on her face, "Kim... you okay?" she asked softly and she could tell that she wasn't.

But Yong wiped her tears, smiled and shrugged her shoulders, "I'm fine, Moon." she said as she stood up and Byul didn't buy it one bit.  She could see by the look on Yong's face that she was anything but fine but she didn't know what to say to her.

"Okay, if you say so." Byul said while she walked away from the bathroom, "I'm heading out for a bit. Don't wait up for me," she yelled from the foyer as she put on her shoes and even before she got out the door, Yong was already behind her, "Hey! Where are you going? It's past 10 pm already!"

Byul shrugged and checked her watch, "I know." she replied and then she continued to walk out the door, "Go to sleep, Kim. I'll be back soon, okay?" And without even waiting for an answer, she closed the door behind her and started walking down the driveway to her car.

Yong was left staring at the door her roommate so graciously shut behind her and it only added to the already many frustrating feelings she's been having since this morning.

First, she failed a short quiz, then her boyfriend of 2 months dumped her just a day before Valentine's day and now Byul left her alone in their apartment, just when she really needed someone. It was bad enough that she felt all alone but for her roommate to leave her like this was just too much to bear. She grudgingly went to her bed and before she knew it, she fell asleep crying her eyes out.


The next day... Yong woke up late in the afternoon and her eyes stung, probably from all the tears she cried last night. With a groggy look on her face, she reached for her phone and saw a note lying on the table next to her bed.

"Good morning. You're too beautiful to be crying on Valentine's day... I have a gift for you. Wear a pretty white dress and meet me on the rooftop of our apartment. See you there," the note read.

She stared at the note suspiciously and wondered what Intrigued by what could possibly be in store for her today, she quickly checked the time and seeing that it was already after 5 pm, she knew that she had to get ready quickly and get ready for whatever gift Byul was gonna give her.

She took a quick shower and chose a white floral dress which was a little too fancy but she liked it and she wanted a reason to wear it so today seems to be that day. She threw on some lipstick and finished getting ready just in time for the elevator to take her up to the rooftop of the building.

It was dark when she stepped out onto the rooftop and as she looked around, she was a little surprised at all that she saw. There were tables and candles arranged all over the rooftop and there was even a piano sitting in the corner.

Slowly, little fairy lights started to light up and then suddenly, a beautiful woman stepped out and sat down behind the piano and started playing softly.

Yong couldn't believe her eyes and her ears. Tears started welling up in her eyes and she slowly covered with her hands in shock when she felt a soft tap on her shoulder. She turned and saw Byul standing there, with a bouquet of red roses in her hands, "Didn't I tell you that you're too beautiful to be crying on Valentine's day?" she asked as she wiped Yong's eyes with her hands.

Byul gently placed the roses in Yong's arms and then lead her to the table in the middle of the rooftop. Yong was still in awe of how beautiful everything was but also wondered why Byul went to such lengths for her when she never cared about the occasion.

"Hey, Moon--"

"Byul."

"Huh?" Yong replied with a raised eyebrow.

"It's Byul." her roommate replied softly, "We've been sharing an apartment for two years and you never once called me by my first name. So, maybe we can change that tonight... Maybe tonight, we can start getting to know each other," she said as she smiled gently at Yong.

Yong slowly nodded her head with a smile but then she started to wonder how Byul knew she wanted to celebrate Valentine's day with someone and how does she even know what her dream date was.

"Byul... how did you know about Valentine's day?" she asked nervously as Byul helped her take a seat at the table in front of her.

Byul sat down opposite her and smiled, "Because... you told me." she sighed and continued, "And I don't know why but I remember the little things you tell me no matter how long ago it was even though I probably can't tell you what I ate for lunch today." she finished quietly.

Yong laughed softly, "I do tend to ramble..." she admitted as she looked at Byul across the table, "I guess that's why you're the perfect roommate for me... We can relate to each other and we understand each other in ways no one else can. Even when we don't really talk to each other a lot."

"Hmmm."

"But maybe tonight we can change that." Yong added as a soft blush crept onto her cheeks, "Maybe tonight... you can start calling me Yong, too"