1/3

boss of me

“I got in! They hired me!” Yujin burst through the door, arms raised up like a winner, a huge grin on her face, and her eyes sparkling.

 

Wonyoung flinched at the loud sound, her popcorn flying all over the living room before looking at Yujin in disbelief who just grinned at her sheepishly. The taller woman started to march happily towards her, not minding the popcorn sticking on her feet after walking through it, she just looked so happy that she didn’t care about anything else.

 

“Wonyoung, they hired me.” Yujin exclaimed once more, repeating it as if the other girl didn’t hear it after she said it outloud earlier from her surprise entrance in the house.

 

Wonyoung kneeled down on the floor, gathering the wasted popcorn, almost crying because she just ate a handful before Yujin ruined everything but then, she couldn’t afford to be too rude to her close friend. She was actually happy for her as well. “Well, congrats, dummy.” She could only say, sighing as she picked up pieces of the popcorn. “Why don’t you help me first with these? It’s all your fault.”

 

Yujin let out a small ‘whoops’ and shrugged before kneeling down as well to clean up. “I was so nervous earlier, y’know, but damn — they hired me! I still have no experience but they immediately hired me despite pitting against way older and experienced people.” She started to blabber excitedly, giggling to herself, very proud. “I heard from a staff member that they rarely take fresh graduates but the HR Head was impressed earlier.” She bragged.

 

Wonyoung and her finally finished picking the wasted food and stood up, the former shrugged, taking a piece of popcorn that fell on the floor and ate it, surprised that it didn’t taste dirty at all. “You worked hard, Yujin. You graduated with Latin honors from a known school. They’re probably impressed as well that you have a lot of academic scholarships and that is why you managed to enter that ivy league school.” She explained in a soft way.

 

Yujin smiled at her friend, taking off her blazer as she hung it on the hanger before pacing back and forth in the living room while Wonyoung sat back again on the couch after disposing of the popcorn and threw another pack inside the old microwave. “Reality is just hitting me right now, Wonyoung.” She said, biting her thumbnail. “I’m really going to work in NIEVES.”

 

Just saying that company’s name was enough to make Yujin squeal in happiness, that company where her beloved was working at — for much better term, the company that her beloved was managing. Because she owned NIEVES, she was operating that company, she was the head of the company.

 

“But did you meet her?” asked Wonyoung, walking to the microwave because her popcorn was done.

 

And that was when Yujin deflated, sinking into the couch with a sigh. “I thought I could meet her, to be honest. But I didn’t manage to go to the main office area anyway. And besides, I think it’s quite rare for a new hire to meet the CEO of the company.” She explained but obviously enough, she was quite disappointed that she didn’t see her that day but that was okay, she was going to work under that company soon anyway.

 

“I’m sure the boss would never loiter around the company building in working hours anyway, I heard she’s pretty workaholic and strict.” Wonyoung added and of course, Yujin just nodded in agreement.

 

Yujin smiled at Wonyoung, “You will never catch CEO Kim Minjoo outside her office in working hours,” She said, and hummed dreamily as she eyed the magazine where the said lady was the cover girl of it. She looked dashing.

 

“Well, how’s the feeling?” Wonyoung then asked, facing Yujin properly this time, wearing a genuine smile as she munched her popcorn. “You’re really going to work under her company now after you literally worked your off to enter the same college as her. After dreaming for so long to work under her.” She said before adding after putting a piece of popcorn in . “God, I remember your non-stop blabbering when we were in college that you will definitely work under CEO Kim’s company. You achieved it.”

 

Yujin looked like she was in bliss. “Of course, I’m beyond ecstatic and honored. I’ve been idolizing CEO Kim for a decade and more, and you know that it’s been my long-time dream to be like her. Follow her.” She answered passionately as she looked back at her friend.

 

Wonyoung leaned in closer, “But here’s the thing, Yujin,” She said in a hushed tone. “Will she remember you?” asked the woman, but in a non-playful way.

 

That was when Yujin’s smile slightly dropped. Would CEO Kim recognize her, indeed? Yujin had been wondering since before, she knew that CEO Kim had a sharp memory but of course, she probably considered Yujin as nothing but a passerby, she only held a temporary and small piece in CEO Kim’s memories.

 

It had been a decade and more since they met. And every meet was only a brief encounter, and after that, it was nothing. To Minjoo’s part, there was probably nothing memorable about Yujin. And that was alright.

 

“I really don’t care about that, we only met a few times before and it had been years. I will be a lucky bunch if she ever remembers little of my existence.” Yujin answered calmly and took a deep breath. “What matters the most is that I’m very close to the person who I hold dearly in my heart since I was young. Young Yujin is satisfied and happy with this.”

 

After that, Wonyoung and Yujin shared a high-five, telling that they should celebrate because this was a huge deal, especially for Yujin who had been dreaming to follow CEO Kim since the very beginning. It was something they should celebrate.

 

Kim Minjoo.

 

Most people probably heard of that name, and a lot knew how powerful she was, and her name was. In this little country, the name Kim Minjoo was known. She was the fourth child of one of the most influential men in both the entertainment and business industry.

 

She started off as a child actress, trying to follow her parents and siblings’ footsteps. Among the siblings, she was the successful one in the field when she was young but soon after, she prioritized education and became lowkey in the industry yet her popularity didn’t decline. But when she reached high school, she completely pulled out of show business since she wasn’t interested in acting or modeling anymore.

 

That was when information about Kim Minjoo started to lessen, she was a very, very private person. But still, Yujin tried to follow her through little updates and details from her family’s social media accounts because Minjoo refused to have her own.

 

Even after all of that, the media was still very intrigued and interested in Minjoo, so Yujin would also get some updates from those news and tabloids. There was something with the fourth child that made everyone drawn and curious, including Yujin, especially after that encounter that made the then little girl’s heart burst.

 

Much to Yujin’s happiness, Minjoo emerged once more after she graduated from SKKU with Latin honors. And this time, she was interested in the line of business, and she established her own company to start instead of inheriting her father’s business. She did not latch on to her own family and became very independent which made Yujin admire her even more than before, and she then finally decided to follow Minjoo’s footsteps and had this little dream of working for her role model.

 

The source of her passion to do well in school and get a lot of scholarships so she could enter SKKU with her own hard work was solely Kim Minjoo. She was driven by determination to work under Minjoo’s company, to work as closely as she could with the woman who became the light of her world.

 

As she attended college, she still followed Minjoo. Even though Minjoo was still starting small again in the business field, the media also followed her relentlessly. Her speeches, interviews, little photoshoots for business magazines, promotional ads, and everything — she dug in deeply so she would know more about her inspiration.

 

Aside from being a strict yet encouraging boss, Minjoo was a gentle, confidently good, and kind lady who liked to smile in interviews. She was a role model of the many, and she always made sure that the working environment of her employees were lively. She loved the color red, she liked to go cycling with her friends, she was a huge fan of K-Dramas, she also liked to play online games.

 

If you asked Yujin about Minjoo, the former had a lot to say as she was following her since she was in high school and mind you, Yujin was just in grade school back then yet her eyes were already on this mysterious and kind lady. Patiently and diligently, she worked hard and waited until this very opportunity.

 

Yujin wasn’t even too surprised when she heard that Kim Minjoo was a great person, a great leader, and a great boss. After all, Yujin was a witness of Minjoo’s kindness and gentleness before. So, of course, she believed every single one of them. She would never doubt Kim Minjoo and her greatness.

 

And so, the next week, on her first day on the job — she was super ecstatic and giddy, couldn’t even wait to meet Minjoo again in person. As she wore her best attire, Yujin stood in the mirror to check herself out, tilting her chin up confidently. She really put in a lot of effort to make herself look presentable and good, she wouldn’t want to give a bad impression, after all.

 

She grabbed her purse from her cabinet after giving herself one last look and was about to leave her room but before that, she glanced at the huge poster of Minjoo that was plastered on her wall. The thing that always greeted her when she woke up in the morning and the last thing she would see before she would drift into dreamland. It was her source of encouragement and inspiration whenever she was down and stressed from work and assignments. Very effective, by the way.

 

Yujin even had a shrine of Minjoo before in highschool before she took it down to replace this huge poster she got from a raffle when she was in second year of college, trying to make ends meet.

 

Feeling more encouraged than ever, Yujin nodded to herself and started to talk to the poster. “I’ll do well to be called a worthy employee of yours, Minjoo-nim!” She shouted before finally walking out of her room, approaching her aunt who was preparing breakfast.

 

“Oh, you’re finally dressed, here… eat some before you leave. You need energy.” Her aunt said softly, putting a plate of toast with a cooked sunny side up eggs and bacon. “It’s a very important day, you might meet Lady Minjoo today.” She chirped, and that brought a huge smile on Yujin’s lips as she sat down on the chair.

 

“It is,” Yujin answered and started to eat carefully, not wanting to ruin her shirt, it was new and her aunt bought it for her. “You have a shift later at the hospital, right?” She asked, trying to have their usual morning conversation.

 

“Yes, yes.” Her aunt Heeda answered, also eating her own breakfast. “Make sure to extend my gratitude again to Lady Minjoo. If it wasn’t for her, I wouldn’t have a decent job as a nurse.”

 

Yujin giggled and nodded, “Of course, if she still remembers us.”

 

Heeda waved her off, not liking the negativity. “She will. Just tell her about what happened before.” She said, and Yujin wiped the crumbs off her lips before drinking her coffee.

 

“I’m not sure about that, auntie. I just don’t want to make a fuss yet, the old workers might get suspicious and think that I’m trying to use that little ‘connection’ of us in the past to get closer to her. I don’t want that.” Yujin started to explain, as much as she wanted to tell Minjoo about it, she couldn’t. She was holding onto the string of hope that Minjoo still remembered her and her auntie. “Let’s just hope she remembers me, us. Even if it was more than a decade since we last met.” She added, finishing off her breakfast.

 

Heeda cooed at her niece, reaching for her across the table to squish her cheeks. “Awe, my little girl is finally grown up.” She said, her eyes lighting up as she looked at Yujin who was chuckling. “I’m so happy for you that you’ll be working under Lady Minjoo now. Your long-time dream.”

 

Yujin grinned happily at her aunt. She was very thankful that she got her, Heeda raised her as if she was her own child, fed her, gave her necessities even though she was also having a difficult time. She made sure that Yujin was well despite everything.

 

“Thank you for your support too, aunt. You should be at ease now because I got a job now. We’ll be able to live much better.” Yujin softly said, and they both shared a smile.

 

Heeda shooed her and started to get their dirty plates, ushering Yujin to finally go because she might get late and they both didn’t want that. And so, after one last goodbye, Yujin rushed to the nearest bus stop and readied herself while she was on her way to work.

 

Soon after, Yujin was once again standing in front of the three storey building located at the less busy part of Seoul, standing between outlets of different kinds of clothing brands and high-end restaurants. It was small but it was definitely getting bigger. NIEVES was just established almost five years ago and it was just growing.

 

She entered the sophisticated building and she marveled at the sight. She already got inside this building when she was interviewed and when she would window shop but she could only catch a glimpse of the first floor. The first floor was open for people, not just employees since this was where they displayed all the available products under NIEVES and where you could buy too.

 

Yujin never really went inside frequently because it felt like a crime to enter it yet come out empty-handed. She managed to buy something from here before though, their perfume, and it was her birthday gift for herself. She had to work two jobs that summer to be able to afford such an expensive item.

 

She walked to the right side of the building, where there was a stair that would lead to the upper floors, and an elevator too. This was where the employees of the company entered. A guard was on duty, and she was stopped by him since it was a restricted area, only employees were allowed to enter. Yujin showed her ID and explained that she was the new employee and she had no company ID yet. After that, the guard opened the gate for her. She chose to take the stairs and have a glimpse of the bulletin board and the second floor too.

 

She started to climb and she was met with one worker who was on his way down to the ground floor. They bowed to each other and continued on their way. Of course, Yujin had to stop by to look at Minjoo’s picture on the board, fighting the urge to take it off from the board and steal it. This wasn’t an employee’s behavior, she reminded herself.

 

Minjoo looked great in the picture. She wasn’t smiling and almost glaring at the camera, hair slicked, and lips bloody red. She looked like a vampire there, and Yujin was willing to get bitten and let her blood get to death. Under the picture, Minjoo’s name was printed, alongside the Chief Executive Officer and Founder title.

 

Seeing Minjoo’s name with that title was so y. Yujin was pretty proud because her idol was so independent and badass. She couldn’t even stop smiling as she stared at the picture until an employee was going to go down and meet her halfway, slightly surprised to see an unfamiliar face but bowed anyway. Yujin hurried to bow back before taking a deep breath and made herself presentable again.

 

“Alright, Yujin, you can’t be a creep here. You’re under Minjoo-nim’s building. You’re an employee of hers.” Yujin whispered to herself, slapping her cheeks a little before finally climbing to the second floor, where mostly the customer service and other departments like accounting and finance were located. It was slightly busy there despite the day starting, the employees were already working hard, not wanting to disappoint their boss.

 

With a smile, Yujin continued her way up, where the marketing and R&D department were located. Where she will work. Those departments were the ones who were working closely with the CEO, and Yujin heard from the news that Minjoo liked to cooperate as much as possible with her team, eyeing them closely and guiding them.

 

Yujin was lucky enough that she was hired without much of an experience but then, she graduated with Latin honors anyway. She got into one of the most crucial departments in the company. She would be joining the marketing team, so she should really do her best. From the HR staff that hired her, this was the first time that the team actually accepted an inexperienced worker, fresh graduate too but she explained that they needed new and fresh ideas from someone who could relate to recent trends.

 

The expectations were high, and Yujin would be a possible target of envy and pressure. The last thing Yujin wanted was to get fired and let Minjoo down, and taint her company too because of her lack of diligence and creativity.

 

The third floor was rather colorful than the first floor, which were pure white and minimalist designs, the second floor was plain. But the third floor was lively and cozy. There was even a nice lounge on the side of the building, where you could see the view of the streets. It was very inviting and warm, Yujin felt slightly less nervous because of this.

 

“And you must be the new hire!”

 

Yujin wasn’t even done admiring the interior of the place when she was greeted by a chirpy voice behind. She slightly jumped and looked behind her, where the voice came from.

 

There was a woman grinning brightly at her, wearing decent office attire, hugging a clipboard, and was smaller than Yujin so she had to look down. The latter bowed, and greeted, “Good morning, I’m Ahn Yujin.”

 

The woman’s mouth formed into a small, amazed ‘o’. “Wow, Hyoyeon didn’t lie! You’re very good-looking.” She commented in a happy way which made Yujin blush. The compliment was very random and uncalled for but she appreciated it anyway. And if she wasn’t wrong, the Hyoyeon she was talking about was the HR staff that told her that she got in.

 

“Thank you.” Yujin could only mutter shyly, blushing a little as she bowed her head down.

 

The smaller woman giggled and waved her off, “Anyway! I’m Kim Jiwoo! I’m from the marketing team and I will be your guide until you can stand on your own. So please, Yujin-ssi. Follow me!” She happily exclaimed, gesturing to Yujin to follow her so the latter scurried behind the woman who was full of energy.

 

Jiwoo toured her around the third floor, and even showed off the pantry and restroom before taking her to the marketing team’s office — that was literally beside the CEO’s own office. Yujin bit the smile off her lips and tried to listen to her guide and co-worker who was animatedly talking about how things work in their office before taking her to her own cubicle.

 

“Here you go, Yujin-ssi! That’s your place, and mine’s just across yours so you can always ask me everytime.” Jiwoo said, her voice was still chirpy as if she was the happiest woman in the world. Yujin liked it, actually, it made her feel less tense knowing that people here were very welcoming. Some employees that they bumped into greeted Yujin warmly too.

 

Yujin smiled at Jiwoo back, bowing her head a little. “Thank you so much, I’ll do my best.” And Jiwoo looked ecstatic after saying that. “Please, just call me Yujin. Jiwoo-ssi.”

 

Jiwoo waved her hand off. “No, no! Call me Jiwoo-unnie! I’ll call you, Yujin. This team is already a family so formalities aren’t really needed.” She replied before glancing at the worker who was watching them in amusement from the side, sipping on her coffee. “Right, Eunbi-unnie?”

 

Eunbi giggled and nodded, walking towards them. “Yup, that’s right. No need for formalities and everything, you will be working with us anyway. I’m Kwon Eunbi, by the way, the head of the team.” And she offered her hand for a handshake, of course, Yujin took it happily. “You’re really tall and pretty. Why not work as a NIEVES model instead?” Eunbi looked amazed.

 

Yujin was flushed and shook her head, “Not my line of work.” She commented honestly which made the two older women chuckle.

 

“You’re currently the youngest employee under NIEVES. I’m very impressed, I hope you won’t disappoint, new hire.” Someone commented from the side so the three of them looked there. Yujin spotted an unfamiliar face but she was sure that she was working in the marketing team as well.

 

Jiwoo clicked her tongue, slightly displeased, “Hey, Aeri, don’t pressure the kid! She’s just new.” She scolded lightly and to be honest, that made Yujin slightly tense again.

 

Aeri sighed and shrugged, “Well, that’s the point. She’s new, and she should know that she’s entering a battlefield. She should know how to shoot and survive.” She said before sitting back down to her chair.

 

A man appeared, looking apologetic. “I’m apologizing on behalf of Aeri.” He apologized softly before glancing at the woman. “Let’s not scare the girl away, shall we? She looks very promising.” He then added with a smile, showing his dimples. “I’m Jung Jaehyun. I’m looking forward to what you got, newbie.”

 

He was very good-looking and tall but Yujin wasn’t just into guys anymore after she met Minjoo. Eunbi clasped her hands together, “Aeri got a little point but I think this kid knows how to shoot.” She said, throwing a wink at Yujin.

 

Yujin straightened her back, “I will do my very best. I won’t disappoint.” She shouted with determination, and the enthusiasm made the three happy.

 

Soon after, she met the other three members of the marketing team: Yena, Jihoon, and Yuqi. They were all lively as well, especially Yena who looked very ecstatic to meet her. They vibed well because they had the same humor and everything.

 

It was very pleasant. Yujin was already having a great time, almost forgetting that Minjoo might come at any second. She conversed with her co-workers, trying to build a friendship with them, especially that she was new to the team. She needed to bond and socialize, it wasn’t hard because they were all welcoming. Even Aeri was trying to converse but she was very intimidating.

 

Eunbi gave her the ID, and Yujin was very happy as she wore it, proudly showing off that she was working under NIEVES. She was very happy, and she was definitely living the dream. She couldn’t wait to brag about it to Wonyoung and Sungchan later.

 

“So, what made you work here in NIEVES, Yujin?” asked Yuqi from her cubicle, intrigued.

 

Yujin smiled at them, and she wouldn’t sugarcoat it. “Oh, it’s because of Minjoo-nim.” She answered but she was slightly surprised when the team members froze a little, looking at each other.

 

“Because of Lady Boss?” asked Jaehyun carefully, leaning against the wall. “And oh, by the way, please… call her Lady Boss or CEO Kim.” He looked… terrified because Yujin said Minjoo’s name?

 

Yujin nodded eagerly and proudly, “Yes. Because of Lady Boss,” Ooh, she could officially call Minjoo, her Lady Boss as well! “She’s my role model. I entered the company solely because I want to work with her.” She shyly added, and the more she revealed, the more her co-workers got shocked.

 

“Uhm, CEO Kim is your role model…?” Yena looked very uncomfortable at the information she learned, squirming on her seat as she stared at Yuqi with discomfort.

 

Yujin looked at them, blinking innocently. “..Yes? What’s wrong with that? Lady Boss is a gentle and kind person. She’s a great woman and leader.” She said softly, and she was starting to get the impression that the employees here didn’t like Minjoo at all because of their reactions when she said that Minjoo was gentle and kind.

 

Jiwoo and Eunbi shared a look before the latter cleared and spoke, “Yujin, I, we don’t know how to break it to you but… working here in NIEVES is not what you are expecting,” She said in a hushed tone.

 

Jiwoo leaned in closer as well to add, “And CEO Kim… she’s not the person like you are describing.” She whispered, looking around frantically as if someone who wasn’t supposed to be listening was eavesdropping.

 

Yujin was getting confused, staring at her co-workers. What do they mean by that?

 

Aeri spoke after, feeding her curiosity. “I told you, you’re entering a battlefield. You’re a mere soldier working under the fearsome and ruthless general which is our Lady Boss. She only sees us as pawns.” She said, crossing her arms, eyes sharp as she eyed Yujin. “Working here in NIEVES doesn’t just require diligence and creativity, Yujin. You also need to be tough because the general isn’t someone who is golden-hearted like you are portraying her.”

 

Outside the building, a shiny white Ferrari LaFerrari entered the private parking space. Once the exquisite and expensive car was parked, a person hopped out of the vehicle. She closed the car, and held her expensive purse as she strutted her way towards the building she herself owned.

 

Heels started to click as she walked, entering the building, and the employees on the first floor started to frantically arrange everything into place, trying to make the product look perfect before the woman could even step inside.

 

The woman in black fitted dress appeared, wearing killer heels, holding a black purse, and a white blazer draped across her shoulders as if it was a cape. She did not mind them and continued to walk, passing by the gate that was guarded by the guard who was shaking furiously as he bowed.

 

She took the elevator and once she was out of everyone’s sight from the first floor, they frantically opened their phones to announce that she was finally here, approaching her office.

 

Yena was the one who first got the message and flinched, “Lady Boss is here!” She shrieked before arranging her cubicle and everything. In an instant, everyone in the office started to clean their desks in panic, looking very scared and frantic, leaving Yujin confused because of their reactions of Minjoo arriving, and panicking inside as well because Minjoo was finally there.

 

She could see that the department across them was also in shambles, panicking and trying to put everything to place.

 

The elevator opened, and everyone stood up, hurrying to the side of the CEO’s office, looking down. Jiwoo had to pull Yujin with her, and just said that she should mimic their actions so without a word, Yujin complied, shutting her lips.

 

Heels started to click, and they could be heard visibly because the once lively office turned silent and cold as an expected presence emerged from the elevator.

 

The said person strutted towards them, and Yujin could feel her heart beating rapidly, it was Minjoo. That was definitely CEO Kim, right?

 

And the said person halted just beside Yujin, and the latter couldn’t even bring herself to look up. She didn’t know why. Because of the nervousness or was it because of the heavy aura that was emitting from the newcomer? It was so heavy and dark that Yujin got intimidated without even sparing a glance at her. It was too overwhelming and powerful to the point she could feel herself sweating coldly.

 

“Good morning, CEO Kim.” The employees greeted in sync and bowed, Yujin had to follow like a kid.

 

The woman did not say anything, just standing beside Yujin. They waited painfully, their knees were trembling as they waited for their boss to say or do something, probably hoping that she was just going to walk away without a word but then…

 

“What time is it?” A mellow yet husky voice spoke, and Yujin could feel a shiver running down her spine. She recognized that voice very well, it haunted her for years, until now.

 

No one spoke, just looking at each other, scared and unsure of what to do.

 

“I said, what time is it?” The question was repeated but this time, the voice was laced by impatience and annoyance yet it was still very beautiful to listen to. Yujin’s heart was trembling, and not by choice, her legs were turning into jelly.

 

Jiwoo, who was beside Yujin, nudged her and mouthed harshly, “The Lady Boss is asking you!”

 

Yujin malfunctioned for a second before hastily looking at her watch, trying to ignore the fact that she was trembling badly to the point she couldn’t even read where the clock was pointing at it. “I-It’s … uhh, eight forty, ma’am.” She said out loud before putting her hand down at the side, not daring to look up. She just couldn’t.

 

There were some little gasps from the employees after that.

 

Yet the woman was silent for a beat, and Yujin thought she wasn’t even breathing anymore because she was unknowingly holding her breath, couldn’t even move at all, tense to the core — as if she was tied by a rope.

 

“Look at me and tell me the time,” The woman with the husky voice ordered, in a very authoritative and powerful way that made Yujin robotically tilt her head up, nervous and lips pursed tightly in fear. She was very affected.

 

When Yujin looked up, she tried her best not to freeze. It was Kim Minjoo in the flesh. She couldn’t believe it. She was struck but the fear of getting scolded or shouted at because she failed to tell her the exact time consumed her whole, so, as much as she wanted to freeze like a statue there and stare at Minjoo — Yujin immediately answered.

 

“E-Eight forty, ma’am.” Yujin answered, her voice was breathless.

 

Minjoo wasn’t even looking in her direction but she was standing near her, close to the point Yujin caught a whiff of Minjoo’s scent. It was one of NIEVES’ signature perfumes and it smelled extra nice coming from the CEO. Yujin felt herself getting light-headed.

 

Minjoo was actually smaller than her but they were almost at the same height because she was wearing heels while Yujin was just simply wearing shoes. Damn. Witnessing Minjoo’s side-profile in person was life changing. Her jaw was sharp and Yujin felt like she could get a cut if she would ever graze her fingertip there. She wanted to see Minjoo’s foxy eyes but the latter was wearing shades and she wasn’t facing Yujin at all.

 

Yujin was really struck seeing Minjoo in person. It had been so long. Minjoo was way taller before but Yujin could easily tower over her now if she wasn’t on those high heels. A lot really changed, especially the aura Minjoo got. It was very heavy and dark to bear now to the point Yujin could feel herself trembling in fear.

 

Minjoo was too powerful and authoritative, and Yujin could immediately feel it.

 

“It’s eight forty one now. You should have rechecked. The time is ticking.” Minjoo said plainly, and Yujin flinched, bowing her head in shame.

 

“I-I’m sorry—”

 

“And do not call me, ‘ma’am’. CEO Kim is much better.” Minjoo sharply reminded her, and Yujin clenched her fists, knuckles turning white. And that was when Minjoo finally turned her head a little to check on Yujin, her brow arching — however, their eyes did not meet because Yujin refused to look up once more, as if she was going to get swallowed whole by Minjoo.

 

Yujin gulped thickly, “Yes, CEO Kim. Understood.” replied the woman, shaking.

 

“You must be the new hire. Heh, I’m expecting a lot from you.” Minjoo commented as she slightly took her shades out of her eyes, her eyes scanning Yujin from head to toe properly before putting it back on then looking away. “Go back to work everyone. Don’t disappoint me today.” She added before marching towards her office, entering it.

 

Once the door was closed, every single employee let out a relieved sigh before going back to work, whispering to each other and shivering after what happened.

 

Yujin felt like her soul got out of her body, Yena had to pat her back to snap her back into reality.

 

“Welcome to NIEVES, buddy.” Yena said with a worried tone.

 

///

 

The Minjoo Yujin knew was way different than the Minjoo today, the CEO Kim. Yujin knew she was strict, it was given but Yujin was shocked to know that she was overly-authoritative. She wasn’t gentle anymore — Minjoo was terrifying and intimidating, she was harsh and didn’t filter her words.

 

Yujin was shocked because all of those that she knew were wrong, and Minjoo was actually the opposite. Minjoo wasn’t a gentle and encouraging boss. She was a scary and harsh leader.

 

“Has she always been like that?” asked Yujin, since she still couldn’t believe it, eyeing the CEO’s office.

 

They all nodded. Jihoon gave her a pointed look. “Sorry to break it to you, Yujin but Lady Boss isn’t really exactly… great. She’s very vile. Everything’s for the show, the interviews were very fake. Heck, she doesn’t even smile!” He said, and Yuqi elbowed him, shushing him down because the CEO might hear him. He just scratched his head apologetically.

 

Yujin couldn’t believe what she was hearing. But… but… Minjoo treated her gently before, smiled at her genuinely every single time, patted and ruffled her hair gently whenever they met, she would even lightly pinch her cheek then coo at her after.

 

Did her Kim Minjoo from childhood really change drastically like that?

 

Eunbi tried to comfort Yujin because she was obviously shaken and disappointed over what she had experienced. “Minjoo is great, she’s smart but cunning but she’s not a great leader, as you can see. We won’t even sugarcoat it. Everyone here fears her.” She started to explain, trying to soothe Yujin by patting her shoulders.

 

“We get that she’s very strict and everything but… she’s nasty and she’s not nice, Yujin. She will criticize you harshly, and she won’t hesitate to fire you if you did something unpleasant. That’s what happened to the one you replaced. He had a minor mistake and Lady Boss fired him without even giving him a chance to fix it.” Jiwoo said, scrunching her nose. “She manages this company like she’s a merciless general.”

 

Aeri leaned over and piped in, “She needs everything to be perfect. She’s really ruthless and I understand that since we can’t afford to fail, especially since we have a profit goal for this year. She loves this company so much that she’ll do anything to make it rise to the top.” She defended her but she added, “However, how she treats the employees isn’t good. She should at least be nicer.”

 

After that, they all started to work, scared that the CEO might spot them gossiping and fire them all at once. Jiwoo guided her throughout until Yujin could manage alone, and the latter did a good job for her first day despite getting shaken up and distracted by the thought of Minjoo.

 

Yujin started to see Minjoo as something else, but she hoped that the gentle, caring, and kind Kim Minjoo from years ago was still there. That the current Minjoo was still her. Hoping that in that cold, strict, and harsh demeanor — there was still kindness and gentleness lying underneath.

 

After the working hours ended, they all decided to eat tomorrow instead to celebrate Yujin’s addition to the team since they all had an errand and Yujin wasn’t too prepared.

 

On the ride home, Yujin drowned in her thoughts. Despite what happened, Minjoo was still her role model and she would look up to her. She was going to work hard so she wouldn’t disappoint Minjoo.

 

///

 

Upon hearing what happened, Wonyoung could only say, “People change. And I kinda understand Minjoo-nim, you know. She’s handling a rising company. Any mistake can be a huge risk to the company, she just wants everything under her control. You know, boss things.” And to be honest, it made her feel slightly better.

 

And when she told her aunt about what happened, she was kind of worried since she knew Minjoo before as well. So it was a shock to her when she found out about Minjoo’s sudden drastic change.

 

“When you get the chance, immediately tell her about us! She will surely start to be the same Minjoo we both knew.”

 

Of course, Yujin refused the idea. She was sure she wouldn’t be able to come near Minjoo.

 

Another week passed and it was going smoothly for Yujin — she was liking her work after all, but truthfully, the highlight of her day was greeting Minjoo in the morning. She got used to it already but the heavy aura still made her cower, unable to gawk at the CEO. Aside from the mornings, Minjoo never really got out of her office, calling the employee she needed to her office, and her food would be delivered inside as well so Yujin never saw her at all.

 

Yujin was growing accustomed to her workplace. She never disappointed her co-workers yet, getting praise that she was really a fast-learner and resilient so she was able to adapt and do her work well. Even Eunbi was amazed.

 

It was another bewildering day in the office, Yujin was typing away and checking the company’s social media and engagements, creating a chart for the report later. Her focus was broken when the door of the CEO’s office was shut close, creating a loud bang — followed by audible sobs.

 

Yujin looked from her desk, watching the employee who entered a few minutes earlier run away while sobbing harshly. Pity started to bubble in her chest. Minjoo never really hesitated to fire incompetent people. This was the fourth employee of the week that got fired, running off from the CEO’s office with tears streaking down from their faces.

 

Yena tapped her lips with the tip of her pen, eyeing the poor (ex)employee as well. “Now, now… what did that girl do that made the Lady Boss fire her instantly? She’s from the Creative Design Department.” She murmured to herself.

 

Jihoon rolled from his desk with his swivel chair, joining the gossip. “Apparently, her design proposal last week was declined because it was ugly, Lady Boss commented, and demanded that she should re-do it. I guess it was still ugly?” He said, his words were as unforgiving as the CEO’s.

 

Jiwoo smacked his head, “Hey! You do not say things like that! People from the creative section are the ones in the frontline. They’re doing their best.” She defended, huffing at him.

 

Aeri sighed, scratching her chin. “But you know that the Lady Boss is extremely picky when it comes to designs for the new project.” She added before shrugging, continuing her work.

 

Jaehyun could only chuckle lightly before looking at the silent Yujin, the latter was eyeing the CEO’s office. “We told you, Yujin. She’s cruel and mean, so, ready your heart.”

 

Yujin continued her work, her mind was flying elsewhere this time. Her righteous heart was aching for those former employees that got fired in a harsh way, they at least deserved a proper criticism first. Or a chance to do well, let the CEO point out where they did wrong, or… the part of the design they should improve.

 

The telephone in their department rang, and everyone flinched at their seats, except for Yujin. Eunbi took it and formally greeted, “CEO Kim.” And that got the youngest woman’s attention. Eunbi started to nod furiously on the phone, lips pursed, “Understood, CEO Kim. We’ll be preparing.” She said, and after that, she placed the phone down and gave her co-workers a frantic look. “Okay, everyone! She ordered us to go to the conference room in five minutes. She’ll be meeting us there! Let’s go, let’s go!”

 

Everyone started to scramble on their desks, grabbing their papers and laptops so Yujin started to rush as well, following her co-workers to the conference room; almost tripping and dropping her things on the floor.

 

They sat silently on the chair, and while they patiently waited for their boss to enter, they all shared encouraging looks. From the other side, Jaehyun was already praying, scared for his life. The others looked really nervous and Yujin couldn’t help but to feel extremely anxious because it was her first time, and she didn’t know what to expect.

 

Exactly five minutes passed, the door was opened and all hail Kim Minjoo. She strutted inside the room as if it was a fashion runway. She was wearing a suit this time, partnered with shorts that showed her long flawless legs, and stilettos. Her hair was tied up into a low ponytail, and her bangs were brushed on the side. That day, her make-up was smokey yet light, highlighting her beauty even more.

 

Once again, Yujin was mesmerized, her eyes sparkled as she stared at the beautiful woman approaching the long table with expressionless face, her eyes were cold and sharp. How could someone be this exquisite? As if she was a goddess that descended from Mount Olympus.

 

“Good afternoon.” Minjoo greeted, and her eyes strolled around the quiet and cold room.

 

And that was the first time Yujin and Minjoo’s eyes met. Yujin felt her heart stop, and her breath hitched. As much as she wanted to prolong the eye-contact, Minjoo’s gaze was too intense and heavy, as if Yujin would turn into stone if she ever stared deeply in Minjoo’s eyes for too long — like Medusa and her poor prey.

 

They all stood up and bowed a little to their boss, “Good afternoon, CEO Kim.” They patiently waited for the woman to sit down before they did since it was literally an unspoken rule in the office — it was very disrespectful to sit down while the CEO was still standing.

 

What Yujin missed was Minjoo’s stare on her lingered for a few seconds longer before she casted her foxy eyes away, sharply darting it to the other employees to scan them. “Let’s not waste some time, present the engagement chart.” She demanded with an authoritative tone before sitting down on the seat in the middle.

 

Eunbi and Jihoon immediately set the presentation up. Yujin did the report but she wasn’t the one who was going to present it. She hoped that it was alright, she double-checked earlier and she was sure that she did not miss anything.

 

As the team leader, Eunbi started to formally present everything while everyone listened carefully, readying themselves for the CEO’s questions later.

 

In the middle of the presentation, Yujin felt the urge to steal a glance on Minjoo — and so, she did, turning her head a little at the side. But much to her shock, she was greeted by Minjoo’s eyes staring back at her, as if her gaze was already on Yujin before the latter tilted her head sidewards to catch a glance.

 

Even the CEO was flustered, looking like a deer caught under the headlights but her face remained calm, just turning her eyes on the presentation as if nothing happened. Yujin could only blink and also continued to listen attentively, slightly flushed.

 

After the presentation, heavy silence filled the room, and no one dared to talk as they waited patiently for the Lady Boss to speak.

 

“The engagement only rose by little percent this month,” Minjoo started to speak, her voice was loud and clear, there was slight disappointment in her tone. “So, any new ideas to make it rise?” asked the CEO, standing up to walk to the other end, where the presentation was located, eyeing the chart.

 

Minjoo leaned against the table and her eyes slowly roamed around — landing on Yujin which made the latter flinch a little on her seat, knowing that the CEO’s intimidating gaze was on her. “New face, got any idea?” Minjoo said, pointing at her, her eyes full of expectation.

 

Gulping, Yujin took a deep breath before slowly rising up from her seat, fiddling with her pen. Her eyes were lowered down, couldn’t afford to look at Minjoo at all. “Yes, CEO Kim. My idea is working with popular idols and vloggers, sending them our merch and in exchange, they will proudly show it off to the public. They will wear it when they go to the airport, when they go live, and other public events that can put exposure. Idols and vloggers’ influence on people is very extreme and I think it’s a good idea to ride it off. I did my research as well that NIEVES has never done anything like this before, and they mostly asked actors and actresses to promote only.” She blabbered unconfidently, not because she didn’t like the idea but it was because she felt small under Minjoo’s powerful, pinning gaze.

 

There was silence again. Eunbi and Aeri looked pleased though, glancing at their boss. As expected, Minjoo showed no reaction yet but the silence and the fact that Minjoo’s brows weren’t furrowing in annoyance or disappointment was already a good sign.

 

“What is your name?” Minjoo asked instead of commenting on the idea.

 

Yujin immediately replied, “It’s Ahn Yujin, CEO Kim.” Her eyes downcast, finding the paperworks in the table much more interesting. She could feel a drop of sweat falling from her temple despite the aircon being on full blast.

 

“Ahn Yujin,” Minjoo’s voice was demanding, husky, and cold. It never failed to make Yujin shiver, and hearing the powerful woman say her name was making her feel a lot of things. She likes how her name rolled out of Minjoo’s tongue, her birth name felt extra special. “You should look at me when you’re speaking with me.” She ordered.

 

The new employee immediately complied, turning her head up before facing Minjoo properly, lips pressed together in a thin line. Their eyes met again for the second time that day, and this time, Yujin held the contact, not backing down because Minjoo demanded her to.

 

Minjoo’s eyes raked up and down, gawking at her from head to toe, studying her whole existence. Yujin trembled on her spot, feeling her body burn because of the fiery gaze that was scanning her deeply.

 

“I want you to contact some idol agencies and vloggers that you think are worthy to promote our brand and can give benefits to us.” Minjoo ordered before finally looking away, walking back to her seat. “I actually expected more and I’m hoping it will rise up more next time.” She said, and after that, she finally dismissed the meeting.

 

Everyone grabbed their things and scattered away from the conference room, leaving Minjoo inside while her secretary rushed inside. Yujin stole one last glance at Minjoo’s back before going back to their own desks outside.

 

They all looked relieved and happy. Jiwoo clapped happily, grinning. “It’s a success! No one got scolded badly and most especially, no one got fired!” She chirped. The others cheered while Yujin smiled, relieved.

 

Eunbi clapped to gain their attention. “This calls for a celebration! Let’s give each other a round of applause. We did well.” She announced and everyone in the office cheered even more loudly. She approached Yujin and patted the younger’s back. “You did very well, Yujin!”

 

Yujin was satisfied. It was a win today. Let’s not forget the fact that Minjoo and her shared eye-contact twice! Even though at some point, she felt her soul getting out of her body — the meeting ended smoothly.

 

Now, Yujin had to work on promoting NIEVES with all her might through working with idols and vloggers.

 

///

 

“Everyone! Let’s eat out together today for dinner, my treat.” Eunbi suddenly said one day in the middle of work.

 

Everyone perked up, their exhaustion from working all day started to wear off because of what they heard. No one would refuse free food! It was rare for treats so of course, no one would back out from this.

 

“What’s the occasion?” asked Yuqi, already looking chirpy.

 

Eunbi grinned and punched her chest lightly to show that she was proud of herself. “The Facebook marketing project was a success! I reached the engagement goal and Lady Boss seems so pleased.” She explained, and everyone in the office cheered for her. Yujin kept on clapping on the side, happy for her co-worker.

 

“So, is everyone in?”

 

They all answered, “Yes!” in sync.

 

“What’s happening? What’s with the noise?” Someone had to ruin the fun.

 

Everyone cowered, their faces dropped when they recognized that familiar voice. At the open glass door of their office, Minjoo was leaning against the frame, looking at them with an unamused expression.

 

“I-I,” Eunbi started to stammer, laughing nervously. “Sorry for the noise, CEO Kim. I just said that I would be treating the whole team to dinner today.” She apologized and explained.

 

Minjoo slowly nodded, still not impressed before her eyes landed on Yujin. However, the stare did not last long because she just clicked her tongue and said, “I see.” Then walked back into her office.

 

Every single one of them let out a breath of relief once their boss was out of sight. Yena shivered in her seat, “One of these days, I will suffer from cardiac arrest because Lady Boss keeps on popping out randomly like that.” She muttered. They agreed.

 

Jiwoo scratched her head, “She frequently gets out of her office now to roam around. She usually cages herself inside but now…” She started to talk to herself, in a deep thought.

 

“I wonder if it’s good or what.” Jihoon commented, getting shivers as well before continuing his walk towards the pantry.

 

With that, they all continued back to work, murmuring to each other that they were excited for their work to end so they could fill their tummies up in delight.

 

A few hours passed, Yujin found herself goofing around with Yena while they were on their way to the restaurant where Eunbi was going to treat them to dinner. It was not that far from their workplace so it was just a short walk.

 

They entered the place and sat down on the vacant table, happily chattering with one another aside about their work. All of them were having fun so far, bonding outside the office and everything. They were about to order their food when an unexpected presence walked inside the restaurant, creating a fuss.

 

Yena almost choked on her water, not believing what she was seeing. “Y’all… am I hallucinating or is it real? That Lady Boss is currently inside the restaurant and approaching our table.” She asked in a low voice, in a daze as she squinted and rubbed her eyes; couldn’t tell the reality.

 

Aeri bit her lower lip, pinching Yena’s leg. “Oh god, it’s real. She’s walking towards us.”

 

Yujin was silent, she could only watch Minjoo stride towards them with her usual catwalk. She looked beautiful as usual, wearing a black jumpsuit that her own company produced, killer heels, and hair tied up into a neat bun. It wasn’t just them who had their eyes on Minjoo, even the other customers and workers were stretching their necks just to follow the pretty woman’s movements. Yujin ignored the way her heart stopped the moment Minjoo’s steps halted, just two feet away from her.

 

“Ah,” Minjoo emotionlessly exclaimed once she was standing in front of their table. “What a coincidence. You guys are eating here as well.” She flatly said.

 

Eunbi immediately stood up and nodded frantically, “Yes, CEO Kim! I-It’s nice to see you here. Are you going to dine here as well?” asked the team leader.

 

Minjoo looked around, observing the place. “Of course. This is a nice restaurant. Very convenient because it’s near our office.” She replied with a blank tone.

 

They all looked at each other, unsure of what to do until Eunbi spoke. “Do you want to eat with us, CEO Kim? There’s a vacant seat for you.” She offered kindly, biting her lower lip. “My treat!” Eunbi definitely got forced to say that.

 

Jiwoo nodded vigorously too, “Yes, CEO Kim! Please, join us.” They all knew that it was just for courtesy, they couldn’t just ignore their boss like that, especially that she was all alone.

 

Without a word, Minjoo placed her expensive purse on top of the table, making the wooden table rattle a little before settling herself on the seat at the end of the table. “How generous and kind of you,” Minjoo responded, crossing her arms as she gave Jiwoo and Eunbi a look. “But I will pay for everything instead. Go on, pick anything you guys want.” She said, urging them to order.

 

Everyone was in shock. Kim Minjoo never went to company dinners or gatherings at all but here she was, willingly dining in with the marketing team and even treating them to food! But Minjoo’s sharp gaze made them unable to refuse the offer, muttering grateful thanks to the CEO as they silently browsed through the menu.

 

Yujin wasn’t looking at the menu though, finding herself staring at Minjoo with a smile on her lips. See? Minjoo was not that cold-hearted. She was still kind and warm after all. She didn’t even catch herself staring and smiling goofily at Minjoo like that, pleased at what was happening.

 

Minjoo caught her stare, arching her perfect brow at her. “The menu is not on my face, Miss Ahn.” She said, pursing her lips after.

 

Yujin’s face went beet red, clearing as she could only awkwardly nod before finally looking down at the menu. That was very embarrassing, she was caught staring and grinning at Minjoo like a fool.

 

While everyone was busy looking at the menu and saying their order to the server, doing their best to avoid Minjoo’s eyes — the CEO was smirking secretly to herself but it didn’t last long when Yena started to speak. “Thank you, CEO Kim, for dining with us. We’re really grateful for your presence.” She said, smiling shyly at her.

 

Minjoo’s face did not even change. “You guys should be, as my presence is divine.” She replied monotonously.

 

Everyone went silent.

 

Minjoo looked at them, left and right. “I was joking.” She clarified.

 

And everyone in the table started to laugh awkwardly, forcing themselves to laugh, not wanting to make their CEO feel bad or angry at them because they did not react to her ‘joke’. Even Yujin had to let out an awkward chuckle. That was a bad joke, but to be honest, despite Minjoo’s weird and dry humor — Yujin found her cute.

 

“Oooh, that was so funny, Lady Boss.” Jiwoo said between forced laughter, waving her hands while Minjoo just stared at them, not amused, she did not say anything.

 

Their orders came in and everyone marveled at the sight. The meals were appetizing and they were sparkling as the servers placed them on the table, ready to be devoured but none of them dared to take the chopsticks and eat.

 

Once Minjoo took her chopsticks and took a piece of sliced cooked meat, placing it in — everyone took their own and started to happily eat their food. Yujin was kind of distracted though because as far as she knew, Minjoo was vegetarian. She said that in her interview before, maybe her preference changed?

 

“Why aren’t you eating some meat?” Minjoo’s mellow voice broke her trance.

 

Yujin looked at Minjoo who was staring at her, fiddling on her shrimp balls on her plate. Blinking, Yujin immediately replied, “I-I’m fine, CEO Kim. This bowl of noodles is enough.”

 

Minjoo didn’t look too convinced though. Without a word, she picked up a piece of steak and placed it on Yujin’s bowl. The younger woman was surprised at the action but she did not complain. “It’s better to eat some noodles with a huge piece of meat.” She reasoned out and continued to eat her shrimp.

 

Yujin could only silently nod, grateful. She started to eat her meal, suppressing a smile. Everyone tried to mind their own business but they witnessed everything, surprised as well at what their stoic CEO did.

 

Throughout the dinner, Minjoo would wordlessly put pieces of meat in Yujin’s bowl and Yujin could only accept and eat wholeheartedly, giddy. She was almost dancing in her seat out of happiness. While the other workers could only watch them silently, confused in a pleasant way. They never expected that the CEO would be so… caring and giving? They did not comment that Minjoo only offered Yujin her own food because the former already treated them.

 

After their meal, Yujin excused herself to the bathroom and when she got out of the stall, she was surprised to see Minjoo washing her hands on the sink. She silently walked to the other side to wash her hands.

 

Minjoo finished washing her and faced Yujin. The latter stopped washing momentarily, trying to sense Minjoo’s next move. “Are you done washing your hands? You’re blocking the tissues.” Minjoo said after a beat of silence.

 

Yujin immediately turned off the faucet and leaned against the sink, making a way for Minjoo to get tissues. The CEO’s eyes were on her as she took a step forward closer to Yujin, grabbing the tissues from the side. Yujin couldn’t bear the weight of Minjoo’s gaze and their close proximity, feeling herself getting breathless.

 

“How come that you’re still taller?” Minjoo huffed.

 

Dumbfoundedly, Yujin looked up and realized that she was still taller than Minjoo despite the latter wearing heels. And somehow, this irked the older woman. Yujin could only blink as Minjoo finally moved away, and the smell of vanilla jasmine started to fade away. Yujin could breathe normally now.

 

The two of them exited the bathroom at the same time, going back to their table. Everyone was rowdy and cheering but when they saw the CEO approaching, they went silent and behaved.

 

Eunbi explained, “I’ll be treating alcohol.” She said with a smile but Yujin immediately refused.

 

“Sorry, I need to go home now, Eunbi-unnie. You guys enjoy it though.” Yujin said, getting her bag from her seat.

 

They all looked at the CEO. Minjoo refused as well, “I have some matters to attend to. I will leave you guys here. I already settled the bill.” She responded as she grabbed her purse and crossed her arms.

 

Her employees started to thank her for the free meal and everything, she just nodded then walked away without a word. Yujin took her time to bid her goodbye to her colleagues, saying that she had some fun and she would be joining them next time.

 

Much to Yujin’s surprise, Minjoo was standing there at the parking lot, leaning against her flashy car as if she was waiting for someone. Taking a deep breath, she decided to be respectful and bid her goodbye and thanks to her boss as well. She just didn’t want to be rude, especially that the woman treated her well.

 

“CEO Kim,” Yujin greeted politely as she approached.

 

Minjoo was fiddling with her shades when she replied back, not even flinching at Yujin’s appearance as if she was expecting her already. “Just call me Lady Kim when we’re not in the office. It’s too formal.” She ordered.

 

Yujin froze a little, and could only nod slowly anyway, “Understood, Lady Kim.” She replied, trying to fight back a grin. “I’ll be going now, Lady Kim. Thank you for the dinner.” She added, and bowed but before she could even turn around — Minjoo spoke.

 

“Are you going to take a bus?” asked the CEO, putting her shades inside her purse.

 

Yujin faced Minjoo properly, clasping her hand together as she stood awkwardly there. “Yes, Lady Kim. It’s cheaper than a taxi.” She replied formally, feeling the gap between her and Minjoo again. Yujin could only afford public transport unlike the CEO who always rode her flashy white Ferrari.

 

“Do you know what’s cheaper?” Minjoo asked, and Yujin was surprised because … was Lady Kim going to throw a joke or what? But Yujin responded with a small, curious ‘what?’ anyway.

 

The CEO pressed her car keys, and the car lit up. Minjoo wordlessly opened the passenger seat then gestured Yujin to go inside. “Hop in. I’ll drive you home.” She said blankly.

 

Yujin was shocked, it was too good to be true. This only happened in her dream! There was no way that this was real, she probably fainted earlier in the restaurant because of happiness when Minjoo kept offering her some food and was now dreaming of the CEO offering her a ride home but Minjoo’s sharp gaze narrowed and that was when Yujin realized that it was real. It was more than real.

 

“I-I, It’s okay, Lady Kim. There’s still a bus coming up in five minutes, I’ll just ride—” Yujin was going to refuse, of course. She didn’t want to bother the woman.

 

Minjoo glared at her which made her shut . “This is a once in a lifetime offer, Miss Ahn. Take it while I’m still kind.” She hissed, not liking the rejection.

 

And not surprisingly enough, Yujin complied helplessly anyway. She sat on the passenger seat of the flashy car, so amazed at the vehicle. It smelt so expensive and she felt like a little kid discovering a gingerbread house for the first time. Minjoo kept glancing at her while she drove fast yet carefully. “Amused?” Minjoo murmured.

 

Yujin immediately behaved herself, “Sorry, Lady Kim. It’s my first time riding a car like this. It’s very amazing.” She apologized, and Minjoo nodded slowly, before taking her shades from her purse even though there was no sunlight anymore. “If you want, use the shades that are on the compartment.” She added before pressing a button.

 

“What for?” asked Yujin curiously but she was then surprised when the roof of the car started to open and fold back. “Oh my, it’s convertible!” She exclaimed excitedly as the cold breeze of air started to hit her.

 

Yujin enjoyed the ride, even raising her hands up while giggling and laughing while Minjoo could only glance at her from time to time, suppressing the small smile that was forming on her lips.

 

///

 

“Thank you for the ride, Lady Kim.” Yujin said, standing in front of the CEO who was curiously gawking at her surroundings.

 

Minjoo glanced at the house before them and looked at Yujin, “Your house is very far.” She commented, and tilted her head. “Why did you choose to work at NIEVES instead of working nearby?” asked the woman.

 

Oh, looks like everything would be revealed then?

 

Yujin shyly looked at her lap before she answered, “Because it’s my dream to work in your company, Lady Kim.” That was the truth anyway.

 

Minjoo was shocked, and it was the first time Yujin saw such emotion in the CEO’s face. She couldn’t even immediately recover from Yujin’s answer, confusion and curiosity swirling in her honey orbs. “...Really?”

 

Yujin nodded, and she looked very genuine to the point Minjoo felt moved at her answer. “Yes, Lady Kim. I’ve been following—” She was cut off by a voice.

 

“Yujin! You’re home!” It was a manly voice, obviously happy to see Yujin.

 

They both turned to the direction where the voice came from, and saw a tall figure running towards their direction. He halted beside Yujin, giving her a manly and charming smile. “How’s work?” asked the man, and he then realized that Yujin wasn’t alone. “Oh… you’re CEO Kim. Good evening.” He greeted, and bowed to her.

 

Minjoo was pissed because their conversation was cut short because of this man, she just crossed her arms and did not say anything, not interested in him at all as she stared at Yujin. “Your boyfriend?” asked the CEO, her tone was venomous and obviously not pleased.

 

“Ah no, he’s just a friend and my neighbor, Lady Kim.” Yujin softly explained, immediately rejecting the idea that she and her friend had something going on. It wasn’t the first time, especially that Sungchan liked to stick around her, acting like her mighty boyfriend when he was just nothing more than a friend and a brother figure to Yujin.

 

Sungchan looked slightly hurt but he smiled at Minjoo anyway, “Pleasant to meet you, CEO Kim. I’m Sungchan.” He introduced himself but Minjoo’s attention and eyes weren’t on him, just on her employee.

 

“I’ll be going now,” Minjoo said softly, and started to walk towards her Ferrari.

 

Yujin bowed deeply and Sungchan could also just bow a little as Minjoo went to her car but before she hopped in, Minjoo gave Yujin a pointed look. “Don’t be late tomorrow.” And with that, she drove off until the car was nowhere in sight.

 

As Yujin entered her home with a grin, Sungchan was following her like a puppy, puzzled at Minjoo’s treatment towards him. “She’s such a snob. Your stories about her were right then. She’s mean and cold.” He commented.

 

Yujin glared at him, shaking her head, “No, not really. She’s nice.” And that was when she started to tell Sungchan about what had happened while the latter was on the couch, laying down and just listening to Yujin attentively as usual, happy for her that she was able to grow closer like that to her long-time role model.

 

///

 

A few peaceful days passed and Yujin’s progress on her work wasn’t doing all that well but she was doing her best, talking with the representatives through emails and communicating with them patiently. She managed to score a deal with this one agency though, and they allowed their new rising girl group to promote NIEVES.

 

But suddenly, Minjoo called in for an urgent meeting, not just the marketing department but everyone needed to be there. They couldn’t fit in the conference room so they were at the hall located on the first floor, where they usually do presscons and presentations of products.

 

When they arrived at the mini hall, the employees were there, murmuring to each other worriedly because usually Minjoo would only call an urgent meeting like this if something bad had happened. Yujin was slightly anxious as she sat down with her co-workers.

 

Minjoo emerged soon after, walking in the middle of the stage, her eyes roaming to observe her employees who were silent and all attention on her. Yujin could easily see the visible fury in Minjoo’s cold expression. She looked intimidating, so terrifying, like a dragon ready to burn them all with one fire of flaming breath.

 

“I won’t waste any time and I’ll be direct to the point why I called you guys here.” Minjoo said in a tone with suppressed annoyance and pressed a button on the remote. In the projector, the hallway of the second floor was seen. There was a date and time as well, it was past work time a few days ago.

 

They watched and waited patiently with Minjoo until two figures appeared, giggling with one another and holding each other’s hands. Yujin wasn’t too familiar with them but she sure did bump into one of them before. Everyone let out a scandalous gasp when they saw the two started to kiss at the side of the hallway shamelessly, and the CCTV caught everything.

 

Minjoo turned off the projector and faced her employees with a smile, a fake and forced one. Much scarier than her resting face, to be honest. “Relationships between workers are inappropriate. It’s alright but I don’t tolerate it, I’m sure I made that clear in the rules and regulations before you guys entered my company but this scandalous act? In my building too? Blasphemy.” Minjoo started to seriously blabber, eyeing each of them. “This is the reason why Kim Hara from HR Department and Gong Taejin from Accounting and Finance Department are fired earlier this morning.”

 

Everyone was dead silent as Minjoo started to pace back and forth, only the click of her heels could be heard, her sharp and cold gaze were menacing. “Once more, I emphasize. I forbid scandalous acts like this in my company building.” She said firmly through gritted teeth. “No excuses, the people involved will be also fired immediately.” Minjoo paused, halting her steps, and stared at a particular employee who had her head down low. “And so, you’re fired as well, Miss Cho Namee.”

 

The woman was surprised at her involvement but she couldn’t say anything, just starting to tear up. Everyone was pitying the woman who got involved.

 

“I heard from our beautiful couple that you’re the one who encouraged their relationship.” Minjoo hissed and ruthlessly stared down at the weeping employee. “So… you might go with them as well.” She added, giving them a smile, a fake and devilish one.

 

No one dared to speak, no one dared to voice out the unfairness, no one dared to speak against Kim Minjoo.

 

And that made Yujin uncomfortable. This wasn’t right. All the employee did was to encourage a relationship, she did not do anything scandalous anyway but why was no one defending her? Ah right, every single person in this room fears their CEO, Kim Minjoo — terrified that they might get fired too but Yujin couldn’t let this pass. People should speak up and they shouldn’t be afraid to say their opinion regarding the unfairness.

 

Yujin idolized Minjoo, she respected her as a person and as her boss but this was way out of the line. She witnessed Minjoo’s other side again, the unfair, the mean, the cold, and the harsh one. The side Yujin didn’t like.

 

But she couldn’t just be silent like this, especially that it was wrong in many ways. This wasn’t a good resolution to the scandalous acts. And so, gathering enough courage, Yujin spoke up bravely.

 

“CEO Kim, I think it’s quite unfair.” Yujin’s voice echoed around the quiet hall.

 

Her co-workers were mortified, especially Jiwoo who looked like she was going to faint when she heard Yujin’s voice. Everyone turned their heads towards her, all eyes on her. Minjoo’s piercing gaze went sharper and she definitely wasn’t pleased at the intervention.

 

“And you dare to speak against me, Miss Ahn?” Minjoo seethed.

 

Yujin bit her lower lip and clenched her fists, “It’s not right, CEO Kim. Miss Cho was just being a supportive friend and I think she shouldn’t be involved since she didn’t do anything scandalous.” She spoke bravely and Yena elicited a gasp because despite Minjoo’s hiss, Yujin continued to respond.

 

Everyone was in awe, and Minjoo was speechless and shocked; it was obvious enough that it was the first time someone had ever spoken like that against her. Someone disagreed with her. Someone voiced out her opinion and told her that her way of controlling things was wrong.

 

Yujin and Minjoo shared intense eye-contact, and Yujin could feel herself sweating coldly, and her palms were sweaty too. Her heart was shaking in fear, scared that Minjoo might fire her for talking back like that, embarrassing her in the crowd of her people.

 

Minjoo did not speak for a full minute, just glaring at Yujin before finally saying, “You are all dismissed.” She announced, her jaw was slacked. “And you, Miss Ahn, follow me into my office.” She added before walking away.

 

Yujin felt herself going pale. Oh no. Was she going to get yelled at and fired?

 

“Yujin…” Yena murmured, worried and nervous for her friends. They all looked worried and scared for her, trying to comfort her but Yujin couldn’t swallow her pride now, especially that they all knew that she was being reasonable. She was the only one who had the courage to speak.

 

Jihoon’s eyes sparkled as he stared at her. “You’re such a hero, Yujin. Good luck, I hope CEO Kim won’t eat you alive. We’ll pray for you here.” He tried to comfort her but it honestly did not do anything at all.

 

Yujin sighed and stood up, gathering her things. “I’ll follow her now. I might make her even more mad if I keep her waiting.” She murmured before hurrying towards the CEO’s office, her hand trembling as she reached for the door.

 

It wasn’t her first time entering the office since she usually handed the report to Minjoo but this time… it felt like she was going to the pit of flames. She might not come out alive, and she would have to face Minjoo’s wrath.

 

As she entered the office, she felt the hair on her skin stand up, and when she closed it then finally mustered courage to look up — she tried to suppress a gasp when she saw Minjoo watching her silently. She was sitting on her huge desk, arms and legs crossed, and seemingly waiting for her presence impatiently.

 

“Sit,” Minjoo commanded in a deeper voice as she nodded her head towards the direction of the seat, and Yujin could only comply like an obedient puppy, sitting like a straight brush near Minjoo, trying her best not to accidentally touch Minjoo’s exposed legs. Just why was she sitting like a model near the chair… it wasn’t good for Yujin’s health.

 

Minjoo went off the desk, circling around Yujin like a wolf observing its prey, her sharp eyes raking through every bit of her existence. “You’re very brave, Ahn Yujin. You dared to speak against me like that in front of my people. And you’re just working under my company for a month yet you’re so comfortable voicing out your words like that.” She said in a low tone, almost a whisper, impressed at Yujin’s courage.

 

There was a lump on Yujin’s throat, “Every employee has a right to voice out our opinion when it comes to unfairness, CEO Kim. I wouldn’t dare to speak if I didn’t see anything wrong.” She robotically responded, unable to look Minjoo in the eyes so she just lowered her gaze to her lap. “I was expecting for the one who is in the highest ranking position to settle it nicely and properly like it should be. The CEO should listen to the employee’s concerns as well and don’t take it badly.” She added bravely but she was shrinking under Minjoo’s gaze.

 

Minjoo hummed, leaning against the desk, beside Yujin and crossed her arms. She didn’t speak for a few seconds before finally asking, “Well then,” She started off. “What do you want me to do?”

 

Taking a deep breath, Yujin replied, “I want you to be fair—” She was cut off by a soft hand grasping her chin, making her turn her head towards her direction. And of course, the action caught Yujin off-guard.

 

Minjoo was holding her jaw, cupping it with her slender fingers but the hold wasn’t painful, just enough force to make Yujin turn to look at her. Minjoo stared right into her soul. “Look at me while you speak, Yujin. I hate it when you talk but your eyes are elsewhere.” She firmly demanded, and tilted her head. “What do you want me to do?” She repeated her question, still holding Yujin’s jaw.

 

The taller woman couldn’t help but to gulp, looking at Minjoo who was towering over her because she was sitting down while the older woman was standing on her two feet. It made her more intimidating, and it was working.

 

“Be fair, CEO Kim. I want you to be reasonable when it comes to firing your employees. Don’t fire them because of small reasons like earlier.” Yujin said breathlessly, eyeing Minjoo hardly. “And please, let your employees voice out their concerns. Everyone was scared to say something in fear of getting fired by you.”

 

Minjoo did not comment anything for a few seconds, just staring softly at Yujin’s face, as if she was memorizing it — caught in a daze. Yujin was surprised to see a gentle look from Minjoo, especially in this kind of situation.

 

“Okay,” Minjoo surrendered, taking her hand back and crossing her arms before walking away from Yujin. “I will do like you said.” She said, sounding defeated as she stopped by the window of her office, looking outside.

 

Yujin was relieved. She really thought she was going to get fired but much to her surprise, she didn’t, and Minjoo even listened to her without even putting up a petty fight.

 

She let out a breath, feeling her chest went light but Minjoo spoke once more, glancing at her through her shoulders. “But since you still dared to speak against me like that… you will be working overtime today with me here in the office.” She said, and padded towards her desk, sitting on her chair, resting her chin on top of her palm as her elbow was propped against the armchair.

 

Yujin took a deep breath and nodded, accepting her fate. Minjoo looked pleased that she didn’t resist and started to play with her lower lip. “We need to pull some strings to make other idol agencies accept our offer. And we need to brainstorm new ideas regarding our marketing strategies.” She explained briefly.

 

Yujin nodded understandingly, “Sure, CEO Kim.”

 

Minjoo clicked her tongue and turned her chair away so that she was facing her back. “You are dismissed. I will wait for you after working hours, Miss Ahn.”

 

Once Yujin got out of the office, Minjoo sat there in silence, thinking and reflecting on herself. Alright, maybe in that part, she was being irrational. She was just angry and accidentally involved someone innocent. She swore not to let anger consume her anymore to avoid disappointing her employees.

 

///

 

Working hours had ended and almost everyone in the office was gone. Eunbi was packing up and glanced at Yujin who was focused on the screen of her computer, typing furiously. “Hey, Yujin. It’s late. You should go home now.” She said, slinging her bag on her shoulders.

 

“You go first, unnie. I’ll just finish this.” Yujin assured, throwing her a smile.

 

Eunbi did not push her and just went home, leaving Yujin alone in the office. The other employees at different departments retired for the day and on their way home already. So, Yujin stretched her back and gathered her things before knocking on the CEO’s office.

 

“Come in.” Minjoo gave her permission and once she got it, Yujin entered the quiet yet spacious office.

 

She spotted the woman on her desk, reading files and reports while also checking something on the screen. She silently walked to the side, waiting for a command.

 

Minjoo glanced at her as if she was ridiculous. “Take the couch. Make yourself comfortable.” She softly muttered, and Yujin immediately complied.

 

After that, they mostly did their own work, with Minjoo guiding her from time to time since she was busy with other stuff as well. From there, Yujin witnessed how hard Minjoo was working. She was really passionate about her business, and she treasured her company a lot. It was endearing to watch Minjoo work closely like this.

 

Years ago, it was just a mere dream to Yujin that she wasn’t even sure she could attain but look at her now, she was able to admire the CEO from the couch of her office — watching her work silently.

 

“Is staring at my face giving you proper ideas?” Minjoo broke the silence, and at the same time, Yujin’s reverie.

 

Oops. She was once again caught. Yujin immediately continued her work, coughing with a flushed face. “I apologize, CEO Kim. I was just spacing out.” She explained.

 

Minjoo snorted, “You sure do like staring at my face, Miss Ahn. Should I sit beside you so you can examine me closely?” She asked, and her tone was flat — Yujin completely missed the fact that Minjoo must be joking and teasing her.

 

“No need, CEO Kim.”

 

“Call me ‘Minjoo’.”

 

Yujin went tense, snapping her neck at the side so she could look at Minjoo, eyes wide in disbelief as if she just heard something very shocking. “Pardon?”

 

Minjoo did not spare a glance at her, just typing something on her laptop. “I won’t repeat it. I’m sure you heard it clearly.” She replied, and started to massage her nape before her eyes darted on her. “Calling me CEO Kim while we’re just alone together is making me feel old. I’m just six years older than you.” added the woman.

 

“I think it’s very disrespectful to do so, CEO Kim.” Yujin refused but her heart jumped inside because Minjoo was allowing her to call her by her name only! And god, she knew their age difference?

 

Minjoo huffed childishly, like a kindergarten student who got refused by a teacher when she asked if she could color the walls. “How dare you reject me? You’re the only human-being who got an offer like that from me.” She sulked, and Yujin bit the smile that was threatening to show on her face. “Alright, whatever. I think you’re not worthy anyway. Just call me Lady Kim.” And continued to type, but this time; the frown on her beautiful face never wiped off.

 

“Understood, Lady Kim.” Yujin responded but she received a haughty huff and low grumble from the CEO as a response.

 

Yujin giggled to herself and continued to go back to work.

 

And it was like that for another few hours until Minjoo spotted Yujin yawning. So, she took pity on the younger woman and decided to finally finish for that night. It was almost ten in the evening too.

 

Yujin actually protested, saying that she should do more work because the deadline was coming up but Minjoo just rolled her eyes at her and said, “I’ll extend the deadline so arrange your things and let’s go home.” Not like Yujin could do anything, she just obliged.

 

The two of them went to the parking lot, letting the guard on night shift to close the building and everything.

 

“I’ll be waiting for a taxi or bus nearby then, Lady Kim.” Yujin said the moment they halted in front of Minjoo’s car.

 

Minjoo did not look pleased at all when she heard that, her brows started to knit together to form a furrow. “It’s ten, Yujin. It’ll be hard to spot a taxi and bus.” She reasoned out but truthfully, there were still a lot — however, she was trying to imply something.

 

Yujin’s eyes went to the car then to her boss again. “I’m sure I’ll be able to spot one, Lady Kim. It’ll be a hassle if you will drive me home—”

 

“Of course I won’t drive you home. Your house is too far and I’m tired.” Minjoo cut her off, crossing her arms sassily, giving her an intimidating stare.

 

Yujin was speechless, was agape, and could only nod dumbfoundedly. “Yes, Lady Kim. That’s why I will be taking a bus or taxi—”

 

“It’s late and dangerous, Yujin. What would happen if you got kidnapped or killed? I’ll be on the headline and my company will fall. ‘CEO Kim Minjoo let her employee use public transport even if it’s late, the poor employee got killed on the way home’. Sounds horrible.” Minjoo reasoned out, fiddling with her car keys as she gave Yujin a narrowed look.

 

Yujin was helpless. “Do you want me to stay in and sleep in the office, Lady Kim?” She asked. She really couldn't really get what Minjoo was trying to tell her.

 

Growling in defeat, Minjoo rolled her eyes and pressed her car keys, the car beside them lit up. “My house is just a few minutes away. Much nearer than yours.” She huffed.

 

And that was when Yujin finally got the idea. She was really clueless though. Hold on. Wait. Was the CEO inviting her to sleep over at her house to avoid hassle and trouble? That sounded… too good to be true. There was no way Minjoo was really offering her her house.

 

“Lady Kim,” Yujin was really surprised, she was in great disbelief. “Are you saying that I should sleep in your house?” asked the younger woman carefully and slowly, unsure.

 

Minjoo’s face lit up, with a dash of arrogance. “I never said that,” She immediately responded, and ooh, Yujin had to swallow her disappointment. However, when Yujin was about to ask what she should do then — Minjoo added, “But since you asked, alright. Hop in. I’ll let your poor soul stay there, I can’t afford to lose a brilliant employee.”

 

Yujin was bewildered, not knowing how to react but when Minjoo gave her a sharp glare from the car, she hurried to sit in the passenger seat, buckling her seatbelt obediently. The drive towards Minjoo’s house was silent because Yujin was lost in her thoughts, never really expecting that this was happening and how confusing Minjoo was. She couldn’t really fathom Minjoo’s behavior. It was almost childish yet amusing.

 

Minjoo’s house wasn’t really a house, it was almost a mansion. It was huge. And what was more shocking was Minjoo lived there, alone. No one at sight, not even a maid. Cleaners would only go there once a while to clean the place but aside from that, Minjoo mostly stayed there alone.

 

Yujin was almost reluctant to step inside the palace-like house, gawking at the interior, and getting intimidated at how huge and lavish it was to the point Minjoo had to pull her inside.

 

“Take off your clothes.” Minjoo ordered once they reached the master’s bedroom. It was Minjoo’s room, for sure, and Yujin marveled at how great and cozy it looked but she felt small, her bedroom alone was the size of her whole house.

 

Yujin almost went deaf. “Excuse me?” She was flustered at the blunt order.

 

Minjoo was taking off her earrings, placing them on the huge vanity table at the side. “I said take off your clothes,” She repeated, firmly this time. Yujin’s soul was slowly getting out of her body, not knowing what to do but to stand there in the middle of the room like a fool, eyes wide at Minjoo in absolute shock. “Why? Are you going to sleep like that? In a button up shirt and jeans? I have some bigger pajamas here that you can borrow. Come.” She said before walking to the huge walk-in closet that was connected to her room.

 

The clarification made Yujin breathe out a relieved sigh. God, Minjoo’s words were so blunt and unclear that she was so sure she was about to get a heart attack earlier.

 

If you ever say to nineteen year old Yujin that in a few years, she would be staying in Minjoo’s big house for the night, wearing Minjoo’s clothes — she would laugh at you until she was on the floor because there was no way it would happen. Only in her wildest dream.

 

However, look who was in Minjoo’s bedroom, shifting awkwardly at the side as she stared at herself on the mirror after she washed her face in Minjoo’s ridiculously luxurious bathroom — the silk pajamas were warm and soft yet it was making Yujin uncomfortable because she knew these clothes were expensive and the way it softly sticks to her skin was burning her; especially knowing that Minjoo might have wore this before as well. These clothes belonged to Minjoo, the woman she admired for the long-time. And Yujin was wearing it as if it was hers.

 

It was dizzying. Being here in Minjoo’s house, in her bedroom, with her too. She thought she was dreaming but when she pinched her cheek, it hurt a lot.

 

“What are you doing?” A voice asked from behind.

 

Yujin yelped, jumping in shock before turning to where the voice came from and she was greeted by the CEO — only in a robe, freshly showered; her porcelain skin was still drenched and her long hair was wet. Yujin almost fell down on the floor.

 

She looked away instantly, almost breaking her neck because she twisted her neck away faster than light, trying to erase the image of the woman’s prominent collarbone and creamy neck. “Lady Kim,” Yujin called, shyly. “You should get dressed.” She reminded her.

 

Minjoo wasn’t amused though. “Oh,” She exclaimed weakly, emotionless. “Yeah, right.” And she went back to her closet.

 

With a sigh, Yujin could only shake her head, biting her thumbnail. Not long after, Minjoo appeared, wearing a bigger pajama top that reached above her knees, still buttoning them properly as she approached Yujin.

 

Every alarm in Yujin’s head started to blare and immediately turned around, not wanting to look, covering her reddening face with her hands. Yujin didn’t even want to know what Minjoo was wearing under that oversized top.

 

“We still haven’t eaten dinner.” Minjoo said, and dragged her downstairs, tugging at the sleeves of her pajamas like a kid. “What do you want to eat? I have instant noodles. I can’t cook for .” She asked once they reached the sumptuous kitchen of hers, pushing her to sit on one of the chairs as she started to find some food to eat.

 

Yujin’s brow arched, “Didn’t you say in one interview that one of your hobbies is cooking?” She blurted out before she could even think.

 

Minjoo stared at her, amused. “You watch my interviews?”

 

Yujin her lower lip, “Yes. Magazine interviews as well.”

 

The CEO didn’t say anything, just staring at Yujin in amusement before snorting, and closed her fridge, a bottle of expensive wine in hand. “I didn’t know that you’re such a huge fan.” She teased, and there was an air of pride.

 

Yujin played with her fingers, obviously bothered. “I did tell you that I’ve been following you and that entering NIEVES is my dream.” She replied in a low tone, almost embarrassed.

 

Minjoo halted her movements before slowly facing Yujin, approaching her closely as she placed the bottle away. But since Yujin had her head down low, Minjoo was not happy with this. She grabbed Yujin’s chin, making her look at her until their eyes met. Yujin could only gape at her openly like a helpless puppy while Minjoo stared at her with a surprisingly soft and gentle gaze, genuinely astonished.

 

“You were not joking when you said that?” Minjoo’s voice was low, almost whispering, trying to clarify if Yujin wasn’t toying with her and just trying to make her head big.

 

Minjoo’s voice was gentle and soothing when she asked that, it sounded so little and vulnerable. As if a child asking for validation. No power, no authority, just a sincere question — hoping that it wasn’t a joke.

 

“It’s not, it wasn’t.” Yujin answered and she saw how Minjoo’s honey orbs sparkled, how they lit up like stars twinkling in the summer’s night. “I admire you a lot, Lady Kim. You’re my role model, I’ve been following you.” She said, and took a deep breath. “I actually thought I knew you well because I’ve read and watched every interview of yours, memorizing every single information about you but turns out… it’s all fake?” She sounded unsure as well, non-accusing.

 

She was genuinely confused, slightly disappointed because she thought she knew her idol very well after following her for years. But seeing details and discovering things slowly, it didn’t add up. It was said that Minjoo’s favorite was red but when Yujin entered Minjoo’s closet, there were barely any red clothes and things; mostly white and black — same for almost everything in the house. Minjoo also said in one interview that she loved tea but Yujin always spotted Minjoo’s secretary brewing coffee for the CEO everyday.

 

Yujin just thought that Minjoo’s preference just changed but she should’ve thought that there was something really off when Minjoo said she wasn’t into animals especially furry ones because of an ‘allergy’ when in fact, Minjoo was into animals especially cats.

 

Minjoo’s foxy and alluring eyes turned even softer, almost guilty as she stared down at Yujin. “I have an explanation for that,” Minjoo said, finally letting go of Yujin’s face before leaning against the marbled counter top, grabbing a wine glass from the side and took the wine she took out from the chiller. “You know that I came from a family full of public figures, and I am as well but as much as possible, I want to be private. I don’t like people knowing me too personally so I lied to most interviews.” Minjoo explained, pouring wine on her glass before taking a sip.

 

Yujin nodded understandingly but there was still an obvious disappointment in her face. She looked like a flower that had started to wither so Minjoo kind of panicked.

 

“Don’t worry though. As one of my biggest fans, I’ll allow you to personally know me.” Minjoo tried to cheer Yujin up, trying to act smug, not wanting to lose composure.

 

That did the trick. Yujin perked up, finally looking at her. Minjoo turned her gaze away though, fiddling with the end of her hair, shy. “I won’t lie to you. You will know the real me this time.” She assured the woman in a very low voice, almost embarrassed. “This is a start, yes? I lied that I love cooking. I can’t cook. So I hope you can, I want to eat something nice.”

 

Yujin couldn’t even hide puppy-like grin, liking what she heard. “I can cook. What do you want me to cook, Lady Kim?” She asked, giddy because she was able to properly know Minjoo more this time, and personally too. She wasn’t too disappointed anymore.

 

“Anything edible, please.” Minjoo could only mutter.

 

Yujin started to cook some simple dishes that were very easy and fast to cook since it was almost eleven yet they were still there, cooking. She knew how to cook because she was mostly alone in her house while her auntie was working in the hospital as a nurse. She was a decent cook.

 

Minjoo got bored watching her from the counter top so she approached the busy lady and asked, “Is there anything I can help?” It was mellow and sincere. However, Yujin would never let Minjoo help, she was her CEO and most importantly — Minjoo told her once that she almost burned down her kitchen before so she didn’t want to risk it.

 

“I can handle everything, Lady Kim. Please, you may sit down and wait.” Yujin said as she expertly started to cook the food she prepared, turning to look at her.

 

Minjoo was pouting beside her, watching her fry the chicken. And that was when Yujin realized how short Minjoo was compared to her. The CEO wasn’t wearing any heels so she was at her real height, which was smaller than Yujin. Just reaching past her chin.

 

Sensing the gaze on her, Minjoo looked up and gave Yujin a sharp look, “Why are you looking down at me?”

 

Yujin blinked, “Because you’re shorter…?”

 

Minjoo growled, pinching Yujin’s side which made the latter yelp and giggle.

 

She just made a simple fried chicken glazed with honey butter, bulgogi, and kimchi fried rice. She prepared everything and she was satisfied because Minjoo looked at her food as if they were gold, wanting to devour it.

 

They both ate in silence but it was a peaceful one, not very awkward. They were getting used to each other’s presence now, even Yujin wasn’t getting intimidated anymore. Maybe it was the smokey make-up Minjoo was always wearing at work? But now… Minjoo was bare-faced, her hair tied up into a messy bun, wearing an oversized pajama top, and cutely munching down the food Yujin cooked for her.

 

It was amazing and amusing, actually — to see Minjoo’s side like this. The side that not a lot of people knew. Minjoo was adorable, not scary.

 

“You’re developing a habit of staring at me. I’m not the food, Yujin.” Minjoo commented once she caught Yujin staring at her once again, full of rice.

 

Yujin just smiled and continued to eat.

 

After their late meal, Yujin was about to clean the dishes when Minjoo pulled her towards the bedroom, telling her that the cleaners would clean it tomorrow instead. Yujin’s gaze lowered down, landing on Minjoo’s hand that was hugging the sleeve of her top.

 

Yujin never realized that Minjoo was already that comfortable around her employee to the point she wouldn’t hesitate to drag her around. It was nice anyway.

 

“I’m very sleepy now. I know there’s no work tomorrow but we should sleep early.” Minjoo said as they approached the bedroom.

 

Yujin could only nod her head, “Can I sleep in one of your guestrooms?” asked the taller woman.

 

And that made Minjoo stop, looking at her for a full thirty seconds before finally coming up with an answer. “No. My guestrooms are under renovation.” She responded in a flat tone.

 

“Oh, okay. I can sleep in the living room, Lady Kim. On the couch—”

 

“No. It’s cold there. I don’t want to be blamed if you ever catch a cold.”

 

Here we go again. Yujin was confused. Minjoo wasn’t direct, and Yujin didn’t really know what she was thinking or what she wanted so she just kept on guessing. Minjoo was having trouble speaking her thoughts, it may seem.

 

“Then, here, on the floor. Can I borrow a blanket at least—” Yujin was cut off immediately.

 

“The floor is hard and cold, certainly not.” Minjoo smugly answered, sitting down on the side of her huge, comfortable bed.

 

Pursing her lips together, Yujin looked at her boss with a helpless gaze. “Then where should I sleep?” She asked quietly, scratching her chin.

 

She immediately erased the thought of sleeping beside Minjoo because there was no way that the all powerful CEO Kim Minjoo would let her mere employee sleep beside her, right?

 

Minjoo her lower lip and glanced at her big bed, caressing the soft sheets. “You should sleep on a bed, Yujin. Not on the uncomfortable floor or couch.” She murmured, and refused to look at her.

 

Yujin went mum, letting her mind run before finally asking, “But… the bed available here is yours, Lady Kim?” She was very clueless as to what Minjoo wanted.

 

That made Minjoo light up, looking at her sassily. “Oh, are you meaning to say that you want to sleep here in my big, comfortable bed? Hm?”

 

Yujin panicked and immediately denied it because she was definitely not implying that at all, she knew boundaries. “No, Lady Kim, I just pointed—”

 

“Well then, alright. Since you worked hard for me today, you may sleep beside me.” Minjoo said, not even letting her finish her sentence and tucked herself under the sheets before turning to look at Yujin who was still standing there, unsure of what to do.

 

But when Minjoo glared at her and gestured her to climb to the bed, Yujin was defeated and with full of hesitance, she sat on the side of the bed, stiff.

 

“Are you just going to sit there and doze off?” Minjoo’s seethe was enough to make Yujin finally lay down on the bed, settling at the very far side of the bed to the point she was going to fall off — not wanting to be too close to Minjoo, putting a huge gap between them as much as possible.

 

Minjoo was obviously irritated, and even nudged Yujin with her foot so with a defeated sigh, the latter finally properly laid down, facing the high ceiling. She didn’t dare to look at Minjoo’s direction, in a daze. Minjoo turned off the lights and let the dim lamp at the side illuminate the spacious room.

 

“Are you asleep alright, Ahn?” Minjoo’s quiet voice entered Yujin’s ears after a few minutes of deafening silence between them.

 

Yujin shook her head, “No, Lady Kim. I still can’t sleep.”

 

“What are you thinking? It seems like you’re lost in deep thoughts.” Minjoo asked gently.

 

That was when Yujin finally looked at the side, meeting eyes with Minjoo. The latter was tucked under the sheets until her nose, her adorable doe eyes were peeking and looking intently at her. Has she been staring at Yujin for a while now?

 

“Hm,” Yujin hummed, no point in denying. “It just feels like it’s too good to be true. Everything that is happening now.”

 

Minjoo started to look arrogant again at what she heard. “Heh, you’re a big fan of mine so this opportunity is probably overwhelming for you. You’re probably the luckiest fan alive.” She fired back, and Yujin could taste the smugness already in the air.

 

But Yujin fed her ego anyway. “Yes, I am, indeed. I’m lucky to be one of your employees, Lady Kim.” She responded with a giggle.

 

Minjoo went mum, not saying anything, and just stared at Yujin. “Why do you admire me, Yujin?” asked the woman, and the arrogance vanished, replaced by curiosity, sincerity, and gentleness.

 

Yujin looked at Minjoo as if she asked something insane.

 

“Because there is a lot to like about you, Lady Kim.” Yujin responded genuinely.

 

Minjoo was stunned for a full minute, and they stared at one another throughout until Minjoo broke it, sitting down hastily. “I don’t understand.” grumbled the woman, biting her thumb, looking worried and confused which alerted Yujin so she sat up as well.

 

“What is?”

 

Minjoo turned to her, eyes written in full disbelief. “Everyone around me loathed me, Yujin. They either liked my looks and the way I acted when I was in my younger years.” She said and leaned closer to the taller woman. “People say that I’m mean, cold, insane, arrogant, and selfish. Is that something to admire and like?”

 

Yujin could see the pure confusion and sadness in Minjoo’s eyes as she said that. She sounded so weak and helpless — as if this was something she bottled up since the beginning, those mean words were eating her up inside. It looked like Minjoo was tough inside but it was shattering her.

 

“I’m not a good boss or leader, Yujin. You know that. I’m very irrational. Why do you look up to me? Even if you saw this nasty side of me?” added the CEO, desperate for Yujin’s answer as she scooted even closer.

 

Yujin stared at the woman for a little while longer, almost getting lost in those pools of honey orbs before reaching for her hand, gently holding it. She threw Minjoo a small smile. “Because I know you’re kind and gentle, and have the golden and fairest heart among all. An independent and strong woman.” She said, leaning a little bit closer. “I witnessed that side of yours, Minjoo.”

 

Confusion was swirling in Minjoo’s eyes but she obviously perked up when Yujin called her by her name. Yujin smiled, “I have known you ever since we were young. I was in grade school, and you were in high school. And I’ve looked up to you since I met you.” She murmured, caressing Minjoo’s hands.

 

“You’re a kind lady. You saved me from some bullies at school, and even bought me ice cream after to console me. You made me loiter around the Kim’s mansion while my aunt worked for your father. You fed the stray cats that kept on trespassing your property, fought with your father when he asked the stray animals that you kept on secretly feeding and taking care of to get disposed of. You kept giving me head pats and praises whenever I came by your house for my aunt and the stray animals.” Yujin started to list the reasons why she admired Minjoo a lot.

 

Minjoo’s eyes widened upon hearing them all, her hands went stiff. “You…” She uttered in a quiet tone, obviously shocked as recognition hit her. “You’re Aunt Heeda’s niece. That chirpy, stubborn kid with glasses and with no front teeth.” She breathed.

 

Yujin grinned at her, showing the perfect set teeth of hers that were way different than her imperfect teeth in her younger days. “That would be me. It’s nice to meet you again, Minjoo-unnie.”

 

Speechless, Minjoo couldn’t even move but the way she looked at Yujin was gentle and mesmerized.

 

her lower lip, Yujin squeezed Minjoo’s hand. “So, please… don’t doubt my admiration for you because I know that you’re a great woman, Minjoo-nim. I experienced your kind treatment. We experienced your kind treatment.” added Yujin.

 

With shaking hands, Minjoo cupped Yujin’s face delicately, familiarity struck her really badly. “Why didn’t you tell me? I would’ve recognized you from the very beginning, Yujin-ah.” She whispered, caressing Yujin’s cheek with her thumbs, gazing at her.

 

The way Minjoo said her name was satisfying, and Yujin almost melted to the touch. She chuckled, “I might get bullied by my colleagues because they might think I was trying to use that past connection to get closer to you,” She told her the truth and bit her lower lip before adding, “And maybe I was hoping for you to recognize me but understandable. It’s been so long.”

 

Minjoo scoffed at her, “How could I recognize you? You don’t even wear glasses anymore, and look at your teeth. And you… you are way taller now. I was the taller one before. You didn’t even reach past my shoulders.” She said, grumbling something, not pleased.

 

Yujin giggled, “Now you know…” She remarked, looking back at Minjoo fondly, feeling much more comfortable. “Auntie extends her thanks once more after you helped her get a job in the hospital.”

 

Minjoo finally showed a smile, and it was genuine this time. Yujin’s heart skipped a beat but she pretended not to notice it. “I hope she’s well. She deserves to work where she’s good at. She was not fit to be a maid in my father’s house.” She murmured, and bit her lower lip.

 

But then, Minjoo started to pinch Yujin’s cheeks lightly. “But this… this doesn’t change the fact that I became mean and arrogant, Yujin. I’m not the great person you once knew.” She pointed out.

 

Yujin’s smile faltered a little. “There must be some reason, Minjoo-nim. You’ve been through a lot for years. People are bound to change,” She responded and suddenly showed her pinky hand. “You have your own flaws. And now, you should learn how to differentiate the right and bad things better. I know you still got the golden heart, Lady Kim. Just sheltered inside you after the pressure of handling a company alone.” She added. “Promise me.”

 

Minjoo bit her lower lip to the point it almost drew blood. “How childish and silly,” She huffed, almost tearing up. And somehow, somehow — Yujin started to see the younger Minjoo who was crying out of relief after she managed to convince her father not to dispose of the animals out of their property.

 

Minjoo took Yujin’s finger anyway, making a pinky promise with her like before; like when Minjoo promised that she would buy Yujin ice cream if she would stop crying after the bullying incident.

 

Like Yujin was expecting, after that pinky promise, Minjoo reached for her head and started to ruffle her hair. “You’ve grown a lot, Yujin.” She commented as she stared at her fondly.

 

Yujin’s heart felt like it was getting tickled by feathers as she couldn’t hold back a grin.

 

As they laid down on the bed, both staring at the ceiling — they were engulfed by a comfortable silence.

 

“That’s why I’m pretty comfortable around you, it makes sense because you’re already familiar to me,” Minjoo murmured under the dark which made Yujin silently glance at her from the other side of the bed. “You make me feel comfortable and safe.” She added in a hushed tone as she closed her eyes.

 

Yujin did not say anything, just smiling, and closed her eyes to sleep as well.

 

///

 

A/N: that’s it for today. let me try to post the next part tomorrow! wahaha i hope you guys enjoyed it :)) pardon my mistakes huhu pls be safe!!!!